• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Fair.... I'd still love to know if anyone can get
b2B3ztZ.png
this running well. About the only time I can think to use it is when I was doing a good run of 3/4 of a kind and moved onto 5 of a kind and thus could just keep playing 5 of a kind without breaking it but even then it eventually stops being easy to control and if my hand is going that well I might have bigger multipliers going already.

That's pretty much how it worked for me the only time it has ever been useful. I had been playing almost exclusively Flushes for the first 3 antes or so, and had Flush around 20-25 times played. Got that, and just started to play everything but Flushes (I think mostly two pair and three of a kind) and went on a bit of a tear for a few more antes.

Ended up losing near the end of the run though, eventually two pair/three of a kind caught up to the flush played count, and I couldn't maintain the bonus anymore with hands that synergized with my other jokers.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For beginners looking for some advice, Like with most roguelikes there's a good Three Step Rule I have for making it through the game, 3 phases on how to play the game.

Phase 1: Scouting

You always start here, this is where you get through the relatively easy first fights and grab anything that looks good and helpful from shops, try to go for general good effects, nothing hyper specific at the moment, just build up your early strength with good jokers and good cards and see what the game presents at you for this stage of the game

Phase 2: Building

So you've survived the early game and got a fairly decent deck, maybe you have a pretty strong synergy in play at this. The game is starting to ramp in difficulty now so at this point you want to build upon your decks strengths, got some Straight Jokers? Buy some more straight focused jokers and add cards that'll make getting straights easier. Have a Joker that wants diamonds, get more Diamond Jokers and Tarots that lets you get more diamonds. You may have an early cumulative card that's been gradually building up to, so support that as well. Identify what will work for your deck and buy them to strengthen it (Also don't make any purchases that will screw over your deck at this stage as well, as it will have knock on effects later on) When you transition to this phase is going to vary per game, you may have the awesome joker to build for early, you maybe a fair bit in and not found anything to build around yet, you will get better at identifying when to start Phase 2 the more you play the game over time

Phase 3: Surviving

S
o this is when the game starts throwing it's hardest challenges at you, at this point, you buy stuff just to try and make it to the end at this phase. At this stage your deck is hopefully pretty good, but you can't be picky with what you are given now, even if it's real small benefit to your deck, if there's a Real bad boss blind coming up, then you spend your resources to beat it, don't die sitting on $50 dollars if you aren't doing a money build, that's $50 you could have spent beating this upcoming challenge that just ended you. When this phase happens also varies per run, but it will happen and you need to identify when this happens and respond accordingly.

So, three phases. Scout early on what tools the game is giving you this run. Build upon those early tools the game has given you into a strong deck. Then when the hard challenges appear, do all you can to survive.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For beginners looking for some advice, Like with most roguelikes there's a good Three Step Rule I have for making it through the game, 3 phases on how to play the game.

Phase 1: Scouting

You always start here, this is where you get through the relatively easy first fights and grab anything that looks good and helpful from shops, try to go for general good effects, nothing hyper specific at the moment, just build up your early strength with good jokers and good cards and see what the game presents at you for this stage of the game

Phase 2: Building

So you've survived the early game and got a fairly decent deck, maybe you have a pretty strong synergy in play at this. The game is starting to ramp in difficulty now so at this point you want to build upon your decks strengths, got some Straight Jokers? Buy some more straight focused jokers and add cards that'll make getting straights easier. Have a Joker that wants diamonds, get more Diamond Jokers and Tarots that lets you get more diamonds. You may have an early cumulative card that's been gradually building up to, so support that as well. Identify what will work for your deck and buy them to strengthen it (Also don't make any purchases that will screw over your deck at this stage as well, as it will have knock on effects later on) When you transition to this phase is going to vary per game, you may have the awesome joker to build for early, you maybe a fair bit in and not found anything to build around yet, you will get better at identifying when to start Phase 2 the more you play the game over time

Phase 3: Surviving

S
o this is when the game starts throwing it's hardest challenges at you, at this point, you buy stuff just to try and make it to the end at this phase. At this stage your deck is hopefully pretty good, but you can't be picky with what you are given now, even if it's real small benefit to your deck, if there's a Real bad boss blind coming up, then you spend your resources to beat it, don't die sitting on $50 dollars if you aren't doing a money build, that's $50 you could have spent beating this upcoming challenge that just ended you. When this phase happens also varies per run, but it will happen and you need to identify when this happens and respond accordingly.

So, three phases. Scout early on what tools the game is giving you this run. Build upon those early tools the game has given you into a strong deck. Then when the hard challenges appear, do all you can to survive.

Good advice, I also want to add for Scouting:

Look at what the boss blind is and try to find a solution for it. For example, if the boss disabled clubs, grab a tarot card that lets you change suits and hold onto it for that encounter.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
One problem I have atm is that building for Flushes is incredibly easy but I'm not sure how to build for basically anything else. Like if I find a bunch of jokers that support straight synergies, how do I make straights easier? Do I try to focus on specific straights and get cards within those card limits? Like focus on getting 10-J-Q-K-A straights so I try to buy as many of these cards as possible?

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Game of the year?

Downloaded last night on Xbox and can't stop thinking about it, despite only doing a few runs. All it took was getting a Flush-specific Joker, levelling up flushes to 4 and converting most of my deck to Spades/Hearts to see the combo hooks.

Just to be clear, nothing carries over run to run except the potential unlocks, right?

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Game of the year?

Downloaded last night on Xbox and can't stop thinking about it, despite only doing a few runs. All it took was getting a Flush-specific Joker, levelling up flushes to 4 and converting most of my deck to Spades/Hearts to see the combo hooks.

Just to be clear, nothing carries over run to run except the potential unlocks, right?
That's correct.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One problem I have atm is that building for Flushes is incredibly easy but I'm not sure how to build for basically anything else. Like if I find a bunch of jokers that support straight synergies, how do I make straights easier? Do I try to focus on specific straights and get cards within those card limits? Like focus on getting 10-J-Q-K-A straights so I try to buy as many of these cards as possible?

With Straights I say work towards strengthening the middle of the Deck, those being 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 That way you can go for the A, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Straights as well as the 10, J, Q, K and A Straights, as well as all the permutations inbetween.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The Shortcut joker, that lets you make Straights with one-rank gaps between cards, honestly feels mandatory for any kind of Straight build. It makes it much easier to get Straights without needing to fine-tune your deck (which TBH feels like it relies on way too much luck) and opens up synergies with a lot of conditionally-powerful like Walkie-Talkie and Fibonacci.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Or use the vagabond joker that spawns two tarot cards if you have $3 or less - you can simply sell those tarot cards off. In that case you don't have to sacrifice valuable joker slots.
Oooooh that's a goodie too! Could maybe even combine the three so you always have 2 joker slots to sell, two tarots, then buy out planets when you can for increasing base scores. You'd have to be constantly spending, but that's necessarily a bad thing. You'd be at X3 multplier for Small Blind, X5 for Big, and X7 for Boss. That's pretty huge.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I thought I had a broken build until I got to ante 11, lol, it really quickly ramps up. I ended my run at 7.200.000, with best hand of 1.257.128.

Polychrone (x1.5 mult) Fortune Teller Joker with +39 mult
Holographic (+10 mult) Throwback Joker with x1.75 mult
Holographic (+10 mult) Hologram Joker with x6 mult
Vampire Joker with x6.4 mult
Perkeo Joker

Last edited:

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Silly game lol. Had a joker that made my cards gain value. Joke that added multiple based on my jokers value. A x3 your whole deck with enough upgrades. and the joker that duplicates another joker to do x3 again to the multiplier

Love it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's amazing what a single card can do. I had a streak of 10 wins on the first hand simply because of a single card.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
This game rules. I had two clears last night.

First red deck emphasized building dollars which granted chips, and playing hands quickly to avoid discards which granted more chips. So I basically buffed pairs so I could play quick hands, and got it done.

Second blue deck I simply stacked and buffed high scoring cards and tried to reduce low ones. Went for straights, full houses etc. Seemed super powerful for a while. But didn't have the strength to reach $560K.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Two things:

- It's interesting how I put ~20 hours into the demo and I would wager that my most played hand was far and away flushes, but after 13 hours in the full game it's far and away pairs. Lots of viable builds now centered around small hands (I love the common joker that gives 20 mult when you play three or fewer cards).

- Red stake difficulty is where the game actually gets challenging. Money is a lot harder to come by. Then green stake on top of that adds faster scaling for blind score requirements. Makes the mid-game a lot tougher if can't find good jokers.

Interview with the creator by our own samred

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm very proud of how this interview I conducted with the game's creator LocalThunk turned out. Not sure they've done other interviews like this during launch week, talking about their anonymity, their roguelike naivete, post launch plans, and the games they made for nearly ten years purely as giveaways to a closeknit circle of friends:

www.gamesradar.com

Exploring Balatro's hype, its ingenious twists on poker, and its mysterious creator

Interview | "I'm sure I'm not done with this game," says Balatro's anonymous, humble designer

Fascinating person here. I hope they make more games after this (or release the older non-Balatro games)!

Bunkem

Prophet of Truth
Aug 25, 2021
I completed my first run last night, just went back on and the run is still there to continue and now I'm in ante 9/8? Does it just go on now until I wipe?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Also tapping X to get past the $ screen and you accidentally skip the store 😫

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Uh oh, Big Boss Blind that only lets me play one hand? Lemme discard to play this hand then (it gave me 59,400):

image.png

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very proud of how this interview I conducted with the game's creator LocalThunk turned out. Not sure they've done other interviews like this during launch week, talking about their anonymity, their roguelike naivete, post launch plans, and the games they made for nearly ten years purely as giveaways to a closeknit circle of friends:

www.gamesradar.com

Exploring Balatro's hype, its ingenious twists on poker, and its mysterious creator

Interview | "I'm sure I'm not done with this game," says Balatro's anonymous, humble designer

Fascinating person here. I hope they make more games after this (or release the older non-Balatro games)!
Thanks for sharing!

Ukuzi

Jan 13, 2020

www.gamesradar.com

Great interview! Thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

www.gamesradar.com

Awesome interview!

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Best run I've had so far, joker that makes Q in hand give +13 mult paired with joker that activates in hand effects twice and joker that copies the effect of the one to the right of it so each Q was activating three times. Couple of the jokers were polychrome with a few steel Q which resulted in getting multipliers into the 700s hitting 100k scores with hands like two pair lol.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
FYI, I just learned that buying 10 of the same voucher will level it up and give an additional bonus. A leveled up Blank Voucher apparently gives you +1 Joker Slot.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finally won one yay

pSm7mBB.png

I got a couple of really fun jokers, one made it so you could play straights and flushes with just four cards, and the other one let you do straights that didn't need to be completely straight. My setup only took me up to a couple more antes lol.

It kinda sucks to start a new run back with nothing.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Finally won one yay

pSm7mBB.png

I got a couple of really fun jokers, one made it so you could play straights and flushes with just four cards, and the other one let you do straights that didn't need to be completely straight. My setup only took me up to a couple more antes lol.

I just had the straights with 4. One that made my hearts=diamonds and spades=clubs. and one that used how many times i played a hand type to my multiplier. So it was flush city. won that one on green difficulty for the first time and it was so weirdly easy! lol

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Are there no more permanent upgrade you can get between runs? Just different decks? Seems that's what's missing from this game as a roguelike.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
FYI, I just learned that buying 10 of the same voucher will level it up and give an additional bonus. A leveled up Blank Voucher apparently gives you +1 Joker Slot.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe even after unlocking the 2nd version of a voucher, you won't find it in the shop until you buy the 1st version. Would explain why Blank Voucher keeps appearing even after I bought it ten times.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Are there no more permanent upgrade you can get between runs? Just different decks? Seems that's what's missing from this game as a roguelike.
*pushes up nerd glasses*

Ahem.

If it had permanent upgrades between runs then it wouldn't be a roguelike. It would be a roguelite :P

but yeah corny jokes aside, it's a roguelike not a roguelite so it doesn't have any perm upgrades between runs just different unlocks to change how runs start. Beyond your starting gear you will always have the same base stats and what not. No starting with higher levels of stuff and what not. But as you unlock stuff you will get access to more powerful tools which will help as well. Some of the unlocked jokers are really strong and some of the unlocked decks make some builds way easier.

there's meta unlocks for jokers, vouchers, and decks

anyone know how to unlock legendary jokers? are they all just gated behind rng spectral pull?

as far as I know they are just RNG

thethickofit

Feb 1, 2018
Wait, are vouchers just more expensive, more impactful augments for the current run?
They're in many ways less impactful than jokers. For example, the +1 discard voucher is the same as a common joker. They're balanced by not taking up a joker slot.

The thing I'm really enjoying about this game is how much I have to flex in order to win. There are broken runs where you can keep doing the same thing, but scrappy runs are so much more interesting. I've repeatedly sold jokers I just bought a couple floors ago just to keep the run going.

Last edited:

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Just jumping in to say as someone who has not played this game at all: the conversation here reads like literal foreign gibberish and I'm here for it and tempted to pick this game up now.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Just jumping in to say as someone who has not played this game at all: the conversation here reads like literal foreign gibberish and I'm here for it and tempted to pick this game up now.
You should. It's a lot of fun. It can take a bit to get a grasp on it, especially if you don't know poker, but I think I managed to get the people in my stream able to understand it without too much issue yesterday. But I also started off the stream trying to explain all the mechanics from the get go lol.