• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do we think the two new projects may be?

• New IP/IPs in fantasy setting

Votes: 64 26.9%
  • New IP/IPs in Sci-Fi Setting

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • New Divinity game/games

Votes: 144 60.5%
  • New IP/IPs not standard medieval fantasy or Sci-Fi( Steampunk, Urban Fantasy, Cyberpunk etc.etc)

Votes: 56 23.5%
  • Other(specify in the thread if you want)

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
Source:

store.steampowered.com

Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update #26 Evil Endings, New Beginnings - Steam News

Hey gang, It’s been a whirlwind few months here at the Larian castle, attending some of the biggest awards ceremonies in our industry, and we are absolutely humbled by the recognition we’ve received from our players and our peers. As you might have seen, last week we attended the BAFTA Games...

As an independent studio since 1996, we value the freedom to follow our creativity wherever it leads. In this case, after six years in the Forgotten Realms and much discussion and rumination, we've decided to seize this opportunity to develop our own IPs. We're currently working on two new projects and we couldn't be more excited about what the future has in store.

It's still early days - we'll tell you more about those later down the line. But know that even as our focus turns to these new games, the sensibilities that brought you Baldur's Gate 3 are alive and well here at the Larian castle. We're fueled by the very same fire in our bellies, one that drives us to create immersive experiences shaped by your choices, and we can't wait for you to join us on this next adventure.

If you have any worries about our change in direction, then perhaps this'll help:

"I don't know if we're going to pull it off, but looking at our narrative, visual and gameplay plans, I think what we're working on now will be our best work ever. I get excited like a kid watching the key imagery, want to show it to everyone now and grumble in frustration at having to wait until it's actually all working. Yes, it's hype but it's hype because it really looks and feels good." - Excited Swen, April 17th 2024.

What do we think Larian two new projects may be? Completely new IPs? If so of what kind(Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Steampunk etc.etc)? Or maybe more Divinity?

Edit: You can put two votes in the poll in case you think one game is of one type and the other of another type.

Second Edit: changed thread OP to link to Larian Steam update instead.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of these games is most definitely a new Divinity game.

I also hope that they create a new IP with a cyberpunk setting. I want a Larian cyberpunk game.

Pois0n

Oct 10, 2021
I hope one of them is a space opera CRPG, but I'm here for whatever they put out.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Yep pretty safe bet one is Divinity 3 and the other is something new they wanna try.

Whatever it is I am here for both.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I love both DOS games but as an IP, I don't find it particularly outstanding.

I would love to see them move to new (fantasy) settings with new gameplay ideas instead.

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
Definitely a chance one is Divinity but one is definitely new IP as they confirmed in other recent interviews. Wouldnt be surprised if both are

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
One is def DOS3, I would guess the other is original.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
This is a nitpick (sorta) but why source Kotaku when you can source Larian's original post with the details? Kotaku is offering no added value here:

store.steampowered.com

Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update #26 Evil Endings, New Beginnings - Steam News

Hey gang, It’s been a whirlwind few months here at the Larian castle, attending some of the biggest awards ceremonies in our industry, and we are absolutely humbled by the recognition we’ve received from our players and our peers. As you might have seen, last week we attended the BAFTA Games...

OP
OP
Thalanil

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
This is a nitpick (sorta) but why source Kotaku when you can source Larian's original post with the details? Kotaku is offering no added value here:

store.steampowered.com

I personally initially got the news from Kotaku so that's why It came to me naturally to link there but if people here prefer it I will change to directly link to the Steam update from Larian. I will do that, give me one sec.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Divinity: Original Sin 3 for sure, and probably something else in the Divinity universe.

Dare I hope for a Divinity: Dragon Commander 2?

Yep pretty safe bet one is Divinity 3 and the other is something new they wanna try.

I really doubt they'd go back to the mainline Divinity series, but maybe given the state of Diablo and continued success of PoE they'd give it another shot.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
A new scifi IP by Larian would make me so happy. But I'll be there day 1 whatever it is. They've more than proven themselves.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I know the topic is about "think", but I voted as "hope".

I hope they do a new Divinity and then another RPG that is not in a medieval fantasy world.

But I do think it will be Divinity and another medieval fantasy game.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Please be Space Sci-fi or something like steampunk. I will accept fantasy, but I would love something different from Larian. I also hope that one of them is a new IP at least, because their Divinity setting hasn't done much for me in the past.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Would love a new theme. But most importantly, would love to leave 5e behind. Something with a little less cruft please.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
With there being two things, I'll go out on a limb and say they're doing a Divinity sequel and something entirely new. I don't know if they'll break with traditional fantasy. If they do, I kind of see something horror-themed as being more likely than sci-fi/cyberpunk.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Larian Started Work on Baldur's Gate 3 DLC, Then Canceled It: 'The Studio Was Elated' - IGN

After announcing that Larian Studios wouldn't be making Baldur's Gate 3 DLC, an expansion, or Baldur's Gate 4, director Swen Vincke revealed that Larian had actually begun work on planned downloadable content before ultimately deciding to cancel it because the team's heart wasn't in it.

Less than a month ago, Swen said their next game wouldn't be DOS 3.

Vincke says the next game won't be Divinity: Original Sin 3, and that it will be "different than what you think it is" but that it's "still familiar."

Of course, that could just mean the other project will come before DOS3, or that it will be a game in the Divinity setting with a new name.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Divinity 3 and a space game imo. I think the one they're hyping up is the space game.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Time to resurrect Fallen Heroes. I played it at EGX Rezzed and it was seeming really fun, I was sad they canned it. Though we did eventually get BG3.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope one of them is a sci-fi CRPG, but I'll take anything as long as it is an RPG of some kind.

Bengraven