Wednesbury

Apr 10, 2018
Any reason not to let your team die under water and just resurrect them?

In the Iron Throne? I'm sure you're done by now, but no not really. As long as you get both "VIP's" (one who is already free and running towards you when you get there) you're good to go.

Also I'm glad you got Boo. :). I liked taking the newer companions for a change of pace. Plus Minsc made me realize I'm a ranger main.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
In the Iron Throne? I'm sure you're done by now, but no not really. As long as you get both "VIP's" (one who is already free and running towards you when you get there) you're good to go.

Also I'm glad you got Boo. :). I liked taking the newer companions for a change of pace. Plus Minsc made me realize I'm a ranger main.

I'm going back after checking something out. Duke wasn't there so I might need to trigger that before completing.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Man, I swear to god every other encounter in this game is some other kind of fucking frustration or nonsense. I love a lot about this game, but combat and encounter design continue to surprise me with how unfun it is, whether it's protecting an NPC that's completely helpless, or fighting the 10th boss in a row with 50 adds, it just never ends.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Man, I swear to god every other encounter in this game is some other kind of fucking frustration or nonsense. I love a lot about this game, but combat and encounter design continue to surprise me with how unfun it is, whether it's protecting an NPC that's completely helpless, or fighting the 10th boss in a row with 50 adds, it just never ends.
I think it helps to approach every encounter like a puzzle to be figured out. Especially for the more tricky ones in Act 2 (where I assume you're at right now) a lot of them have a certain gimmick or workaround that make them a lot easier to deal with once you get it. For some it's just as simple as "make sure to bring X party member with Y spell prepared". A lot of times it's down to positioning. Sometimes it's passing a persuasion check.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone advise the best path of action for me?

I have two quests that I think are opposed to each other and I don't know what to do.

Consider Gortash's Bargain
Orin is dead. We should speak to Gortash and decide what to do with her Netherstone.

Disable The Steel Watch/Save the Gondians
Go to the Underwater Prison

I feel I should disable the Steel Watch before confronting Gortash. However to go underwater, Gortash contacts you and says the deal is off if you go there.

So what do I do?

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023

I have two quests that I think are opposed to each other and I don't know what to do.

Orin is dead. We should speak to Gortash and decide what to do with her Netherstone.

I feel I should disable the Steel Watch before confronting Gortash. However to go underwater, Gortash contacts you and says the deal is off if you go there.

So what do I do?

Go forward and go underwater if you are playing a good guy that wants to free the gondians and defeat Gortash. I was confused the first time doing the disable the Steel Warch Quest as well, thinking that I was maybe missing a way to stealthily go to the underwater prison without Gortash finding out but there is no other way and that reaction is scripted.

The deal will of course be off if you do that but making a deal with Gortash dosen't really have that much of a narrative payoff anyway aside from letting you skip a boss fight

Just prepare yourself for a fun but anxiety inducing fight on a time crunch but go for it.

If you want to confront Gortash destroying the Steel Watch will make things much easier for you later.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

So what do I do?
Do you want a quick and easy end to the game or the longer harder path.

Gortash doesn't actually betray you and keeps to his end of the bargain so if you ally with him you skip his bossfight and progress right to the end game fights.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Man, the siege at Moonrise is no joke. I load it up each night to try a different approach/tactic/spellset, and still haven't managed to get a whiff of victory. Once they start dropping Hunger of Hadar I'm screwed. Maybe level 7 is too low? Might have to see if there's anywhere else to make progress, but would really like to be done with this chapter soon.

Jul 24, 2018
Man, the siege at Moonrise is no joke. I load it up each night to try a different approach/tactic/spellset, and still haven't managed to get a whiff of victory. Once they start dropping Hunger of Hadar I'm screwed. Maybe level 7 is too low? Might have to see if there's anywhere else to make progress, but would really like to be done with this chapter soon.
Did you free the Gnolls from their gnome master, they'll aid you in the fight if you did. You can also kill most of Ketheric's troops before you even do in the encounter by sneaking upstairs which is a good idea anyway since Balthazar's room has a lot of neatthings. You can also split your party and send some of them in from the left instead of everyone going through the front door.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
7 is pretty low for this, but should be doable. You can clear out most of the surrounding area before doing moonrise. Did you do the Creche?

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Did you free the Gnolls from their gnome master, they'll aid you in the fight if you did. You can also kill most of Ketheric's troops before you even do in the encounter by sneaking upstairs which is a good idea anyway since Balthazar's room has a lot of neatthings. You can also split your party and send some of them in from the left instead of everyone going through the front door.
I didn't free the Gnolls, but the upstairs tip is very helpful, thanks! Snuck some members up via the rafters and have started looting and taking out some minor threats. Annoying that you can't fast travel here, but I'll do as much as I can before leaving for one last long rest to prepare.

7 is pretty low for this, but should be doable. You can clear out most of the surrounding area before doing moonrise. Did you do the Creche?
I did most of the Creche and surrounding area, but there's probably some stuff I've missed. Maybe one last sweep is in order before tackling Moonrise proper. Thanks!

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
Finished the game. Absolutely loved every second of it. The studio absolutely deserves all that praise. Wonderful experience.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Man, Act 3 is fun so far, but pretty easy. Lae'zel with Haste just whacks everything to mush

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got around to actually playing this game over the last week or so. I'd tried before but bounced off fairly fast because it just didn't click with what I wanted to play at the time. I'm 50 hours in, just doing stuff in act 1 so far before moving on and having an absolute blast. All I can say at this point is that while it took a while to get what the game was at first, once it clicked I totally got it. This game is incredibly special and an amazing experience. The fact that so much amazing content is jammed into a package with a single price and no bullshit like season passes, mtx and other stuff in 2023/2024 only adds to that.

I can't think of a game I've played in the last few years that I've found as special as what the devs pulled off here. It feels like every corner of the game has something to find and enjoy.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Having another play through and this time going female drow and it's quite satisfying having all the goblins grovel/turn to mush when you talk to them.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Just wanted to say thanks again for the tips and friendliness in here. I cleared out the rest of the shadow lands and netted some more EXP, items and spells before heading back to Moonrise. Cleared the initial siege by funneling enemies through the main gate, covering the area with AOEs like cloudkill, grease/fire and ice storms, chucking bombs into the whole mess and summoning elementals to pick off stragglers. It was pretty satisfying. Bodies everywhere...

This game has its daunting moments and seemingly insurmountable battles, but it's well worth pulling through for these story beats and character developments. Now to find that Ketheric customer!

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished up Act 2. Having a great time with it, but also kind of floored at how long the game is. I think I've put around 80ish hours in at this point and still have a whole another act to go. Not sure if this will be the longest single player game I've played when it's all said and done lol.
Otherwise though looking forward to getting into Act 3.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Yay, received my PS5 physical copy despite not receiving a single email that it was shipped, nor a tracking number... Poor form, Larian, but anyway IT'S HERE AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, it's a very nice package and the box was much bigger than I had expected though.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I have a question for folks here, I posted this on the subreddit as well because I'm kind of at a crossroads. I really, really want to beat this game and I've been trying since launch but I can't help feeling that some of my companions are irrevocably bugged and it's ground my desire to progress to a halt.

I'm at the end of Act 1, just cleared out the Creche, and I've more or less done literally everything possible, but I can't shake the feeling that my companions are bugged.

First, Lae'zel. I encountered a bug with the Zaith'isk scenario where she never spoke up to let her use it instead of me. She was just bizarrely silent and the encounter kind of proceeded in an awkward way like she wasn't there. Now, despite the fact that I've romanced her and have 93% approval, whenever I speak to her she says, every time, without fail, "You must have questions" and gives me the two standard dialogue options (end our fling, go back to camp) that don't include any questions. I've seen other posts talking about this issue as well but none of the solutions I've seen (teleporting from camp, killing and resurrecting her, etc.) have worked for me.

Then there's Shadowheart. I initially wanted to romance her but for some reason it never happened. At the party the romance scene never triggered and I somehow wound up doing the Astarion encounter twice? Now, every single time I speak to her, besides "go back to camp" I only have to option to ask her what she thinks of me, at which point she gives me the same old spiel about how I'm like "the finest person she's ever known" on repeat. Is she going to be stuck like this the same way as Lae'zel? For what it's worth I'm not as confident that she's as bugged as I am with Lae'zel, but the failed romance despite doing everything right and the fact that she hasn't said anything new when I talk to her for the last 25 hours has me concerned. Everyone else has much more to say, even people I've basically never put in my party.

Anyway I'm kind of at a crossroads. I wonder if this is because I started my save on launch and it's been screwed up through constant patches. Are these two going to be stuck like this forever? Is it going to impact quests down the road? Restarting isn't an option for me after sinking 80 hours into Act 1, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm dealing with a compromised experience. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? Any solutions?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Act 1: "Using persuasion checks to avoid killing everyone is the morally superior choice."

Act 2: Kar'niss

I don't feel so good about this lolol

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, Act 2 is a bit longer than I thought. Thought I reached the end the last time I played but didn't see the end of act achievement pop until resting after going to the astral plane. Wasn't expecting another fight there, but appreciated the story revelations. Looking forward to finally seeing Baldur's Gate proper after hearing so much about it throughout the game to this point lol.

Jul 24, 2018
I have a question for folks here, I posted this on the subreddit as well because I'm kind of at a crossroads. I really, really want to beat this game and I've been trying since launch but I can't help feeling that some of my companions are irrevocably bugged and it's ground my desire to progress to a halt.

I'm at the end of Act 1, just cleared out the Creche, and I've more or less done literally everything possible, but I can't shake the feeling that my companions are bugged.

First, Lae'zel. I encountered a bug with the Zaith'isk scenario where she never spoke up to let her use it instead of me. She was just bizarrely silent and the encounter kind of proceeded in an awkward way like she wasn't there. Now, despite the fact that I've romanced her and have 93% approval, whenever I speak to her she says, every time, without fail, "You must have questions" and gives me the two standard dialogue options (end our fling, go back to camp) that don't include any questions. I've seen other posts talking about this issue as well but none of the solutions I've seen (teleporting from camp, killing and resurrecting her, etc.) have worked for me.

Then there's Shadowheart. I initially wanted to romance her but for some reason it never happened. At the party the romance scene never triggered and I somehow wound up doing the Astarion encounter twice? Now, every single time I speak to her, besides "go back to camp" I only have to option to ask her what she thinks of me, at which point she gives me the same old spiel about how I'm like "the finest person she's ever known" on repeat. Is she going to be stuck like this the same way as Lae'zel? For what it's worth I'm not as confident that she's as bugged as I am with Lae'zel, but the failed romance despite doing everything right and the fact that she hasn't said anything new when I talk to her for the last 25 hours has me concerned. Everyone else has much more to say, even people I've basically never put in my party.

Anyway I'm kind of at a crossroads. I wonder if this is because I started my save on launch and it's been screwed up through constant patches. Are these two going to be stuck like this forever? Is it going to impact quests down the road? Restarting isn't an option for me after sinking 80 hours into Act 1, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm dealing with a compromised experience. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? Any solutions?
So about Shadowheart, one thing I noticed about her character on a seperate playthrough is that she is not a big fan of someone who questions her religion, and she's not big on getting personal with someone she barely knows, do not push her when you encounter situations where her wound is hurting her or if she makes it clear she doesn't wanna talk about it. As I understand it, a romance is not locked in post the Goblin Encounter like it can stil happen later on.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
There's still one last big patch, right? I know Larian intends to move on soon but are there any hints as to when we might expect that patch? I've been putting my evil playthrough on hold because it's supposed to add stuff for it, yeah?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Gir6OtA.png

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have just beaten honour mode with some friends. One never beaten the game so he got achievement for balanced, tactician and honour mode lol. It was a fun ride. We were so freaking strong at the end. Exponentially so much more fun with friends. Scheduling a time to play throughout the weeks and months was a pain with our work, but it was worth it. We all choose different options for the ending and saw something different or new.
Even saw Sarevok Anchev at Gather our allies at the end which I had no idea was possible if you played as Dhurge and accepted the gift and skipped the murder tribunal. Maybe it can be done as non-dhurge too?
I always killed him, but we skipped several side bosses at the end and went for the Netherbrain.

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, after about 80-85ish hours played, finally made it into Baldur's Gate proper lol. Across all media (movies, TV shows, games), not sure if I've ever gone through a longer time investment to make it to the 'titular location' of a story as this one. Not that I'm complaining, been a hell of a journey up to this point, and definitely feel a bit of a sense of accomplishment making it here lol.

Bengraven