• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Ok, given the fact that most probably Larian Studios won't develop Baldur's Gate 4 and that Wizards of the Coast (owner of the Dungeons & Dragons license) is actively talking with other developers to find a deal, who should develop the fourth entry in the series according to you?

Note: 1st party teams (such as Obsidian or Guerrilla) are "out" of discussion.

Also: "Just Larian Studios" is not an acceptable answer in this thread. :)

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know but i pity them because i doubt they will be able to step out of the shadow of BG3

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Had to, sorry OP.

I actually thought about this when Larian decided to move on from the IP and I have no idea who even could top, let alone exceed what they've done. Nothing pops to mind, maybe a new dedicated team formed for the IP? No clue.

Feb 5, 2018
Maybe Obsidian or Guerrilla

Edit: In all seriousness I cant really see anyone giving us anything close to BG3, so would say Obsidian unironically since they make beautiful isometric CRPGs anyway, maybe even making BG4 their own spin as a Pillars sequel gameplay wise, similar to how BG3 was to Divinity

Dont try and 1 up BG3, just make something diffent

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
But why would first-party teams be out of the discussion? I thought exclusives were dead soon.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
They would be shooting themselves in the foot for letting anybody else touch BG4 after how great and successful BG3 was under Larian.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Its funny how the discourse on BG3 has become the exact same as BG2. "They shouldn't bother, no one can do a better sequel. It's already as good as it can be. Etc"

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe another mid-size or small studio with tons of potential? I'd love to see a team such as Tactical Adventures tackle a story-heavy RPG. They've already proven they have what it takes to capture the feel of Icewind Dale - seeing as they made Solasta on a shoestring budget and it's one of my favorite games.

Imagine what they can do with a big IP and heavy investment?

I Fall

Banned
Dec 31, 2023
Brazil
Since BG3 is the TES Oblivion from that licencing, I think some studio able to streamline a little bit more and make the Skyrim. Maybe Obsidian?

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think it would best to wait until a new edition of D&D comes out before anyone makes another Baldur's Gate.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly thought WOTLC's own Invoke was gearing up to make it given they seemed to be expanding somewhat aggressively in the last year.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
How important is the D&D license? Obsidian showed you don't really need a D&D license.

They're gonna follow Larian not Baldur's Gate.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Next Level Games can make Balder's Gate Prime: Federation Force to hold everyone over while we wait!

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Who owns the game code? Does Hasbro have access to whole game code and assets? They can give it to another studio and tell them to start work and iterate from it maybe?

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i don't think forgotten realms and especially dnd 5e is that good. it's boring. i wont play any game again that uses dnd 5e

what made bg3 good is the same design ethos and stuff you can find in other larian games. larian is what made it good.

i don't want to play forgotten realms over something like eora (obsidian's world/lore IP from PoE 1 + 2 which is so much more interesting and in use in Avowed), or a new IP, etc. Almost anything is more exciting than forgotten realms/baldur's gate

for me the weakest part of bg3 was bg/forgotten realms itself. the best part was the larian parts. d:os2 combat for example is way better than dnd 5e. poe's ruleset is better than dnd 5e. etc

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Firaxis.

The marvel midnight suns model would work extremely well with a dnd gameplay loop.

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
49b.jpg

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The meltdown would be legendary.
Give it to Bethesda. The gamer meltdowns will be epic.
Nobody actually wants that lol, least of all Bethesda. They've got their hands full with their own fantasy franchise and probably wouldn't want to take on a project like that, with such weighty expectations behind it.
Goes without saying that Baldur's Gate in general is fairly different from the type of game that BGS makes, anyway.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Larian Studios. Sorry, but the bar is set so high that I don't see any other studio up to the tasks.