• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I'll go for a pick that hasn't been mentioned and say DONTNOD. Idk if it'd be good but I would be interested to see a more surprising team take on the series.

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
Maybe Owlcat can do it if they had good budget and time. I am probably biased but pathfinder wrath of the righteous had better gameplay than bg3

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Put the Baldur's Gate IP on the shelf for another 20 years until a new Larian-caliber RPG studio presents themselves.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Owlcat because they make the CRPGs i enjoy i didn't care for BG3 (or the divinity games) and i know i am in the minority of the minority with that opinion but give Owlcat a budget and let them go hog wild with that IP.

What they did with Pathfinder and Warhammer has been nothing short of phenomenal and i can't imagine them fumbling with BG.

High level D&D 5th Edition combat would be hilarious to see. Almost as hilarious as all the Shadowheart fans seeing Camellia and going 'oh I can fix her too!'.

Fg9aXOLXEAArpuC

She's just so helpful!

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
Nobody. If Larian is gonna do their own thing, that's great, and I really don't have interest in a BG game from another developer.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Only other studios what would have a similar philosophy to in-game content and monetization, would be Nintendo or CDPR.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Hopefully no one good. BG3 was phenomenal but it was held back by dnd so i rather just not care about bg4 in the first place rather than playing a very good gsme that i cant stop thinking could easily be better if not due to dnd restrictions.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they? Disney also doesnt demand SpiderMan or Indiana Jones to be
Baldur's Gate 4 would be the sequel to Baldur's Gate 3, which was multiplatform. There would be an expectation from the now-huge fanbase for the sequel to 3 to also be multiplatform. If it weren't, it would piss off a lot of people, and sales would be lower. Besides, Microsoft has already started putting their games on other platforms, so they wouldn't even push for exclusivity.

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
Baldur's Gate 4 would be the sequel to Baldur's Gate 3, which was multiplatform. There would be an expectation from the now-huge fanbase for the sequel to 3 to also be multiplatform. If it weren't, it would piss off a lot of people, and sales would be lower. Besides, Microsoft has already started putting their games on other platforms, so they wouldn't even push for exclusivity.

With enough money everything is possible. MS moneyhatted the Tomb Raider 2013 Sequel for a certain time after the first one was multiplatform and Sony FFXVI. Even tho the 4 Games before it were on Xbox too.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Sony San Diego should do it, but instead of a party of four you should have nine players, maybe two teams of nine. replace the spells with bats and balls i think, and you would be adventuring in a diamond-shaped arena that's mostly grass with some clay? Since you're in an arena they could also have some sort of announcer, and maybe some people in the stands

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With enough money everything is possible. MS moneyhatted the Tomb Raider 2013 Sequel for a certain time after the first one was multiplatform and Sony FFXVI. Even tho the 4 Games before it were on Xbox too.
Microsoft from ten years ago was in a different place, in a different gaming landscape. It's just not the same in 2024; not with the sales of Xbox consoles being the way they are. WotC would not accept money from Microsoft to make BG4 exclusive to their console after 3 blew up the way they did, and the Microsoft of today wouldn't do that as well.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Maybe Obsidian or Guerrilla

Edit: In all seriousness I cant really see anyone giving us anything close to BG3, so would say Obsidian unironically since they make beautiful isometric CRPGs anyway, maybe even making BG4 their own spin as a Pillars sequel gameplay wise, similar to how BG3 was to Divinity

Dont try and 1 up BG3, just make something diffent
Biggest issue I think with Obsidian is they struggle with projects that are larger in scope. I think the writing could match up to Larian.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
WotC would be smart to just start up their own dev studio rather than licensing it out again. D&D is huge and they have a shit ton of IP to exploit. Kind of silly to not be the masters of their own destiny, at least in part. Can always still license out too. If they have access to Larians engine all the better, if not a bit hard going, but honestly I don't see any other studios really able to likely interested in the heavy oversight and licensing fees that will come with it. Not to mention insane scrutiny and harassment for being any different or less impressive than Larian.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Mentioning Obsidian and Gurrilla Games in the same sentence as if they're remotely comparable in terms of making a CRPG? Also, CDPR really? lol.
Anyway, Obsidian seems to be way too busy, I think realistically it could only be InXile or Owlcat (with the proper budget).

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I'd offer it to Valve, Rockstar, Capcom, or Eidos.

It is not their wheelhouse, but I would like to see a Nintendo studio work on a big cross platform game like Baldur's Gate 4.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Ih actually now it's been mentioned yea I could see CDPR being capable of it if they just licensed out Larians Engine rather than force it to work with their own.

Witcher 3 is one of the few games I'd say is close to Baldur's Gate 3 in terms of size and consistent quality. Even with the gripes about Cyberpunk, it's actual world and lore seem like the are handled really well in the game. The insights into Night City's history through lore snippets is great and both games have excellent performances which I think a Baldur's Gate 4 would need and somethibg a lot of CRPG devs are pretty shit at.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Owlcat seems like the best choice if Larian and Obsidian don't qualify.

Albeit, for Obsidian I would much rather see Pillars of Eternity 3 (no, not the wannabe Elders Scroll thing) than BG4.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
No one. I'd rather see them take the runaway success here and have a new developer do something with the other campaign settings like Planescape or Eberron or Spelljammer or Dark Sun. So many options.

CuriousOrang

Apr 4, 2022
What they should do is leave the CRPG genre well alone. If Hasbro wants to cash in while maintaining some semblance of credibility they could explore some other genres in a Dark Alliance kind of way having cameos or focusing on characters from BG3. A Karlach character action game might be alright, or an Astarion stealth game maybe. Obviously Im not much of an ideas guy here, but along those lines.

No one is going to make a CRPG better than BG 3 except Larian, theres no one capable right now, and if there were they wouldnt get the time, budget and independence to do it anyway. Revisit that idea in 10 years or more, no sense trying to force it.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Would, no shit, love if Baldurs Gate 4 was a spiritual successor to Iron and Blood as a DnD Soulcalibur esque weapon based 3D fighter.

yB6difu.png

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
The only developer capable of making something close, and I still would have serious doubts they could do something on the same level, is Owlcat.

I certainly wouldn't trust Obsidian with it.

But what I think is going to happen is we are going to get a new Baldur's Gate that's not BG4. Dark Alliance or something like that. A way to make something using the name but without putting the resources required to make something on the level of BG3.

Its funny how the discourse on BG3 has become the exact same as BG2. "They shouldn't bother, no one can do a better sequel. It's already as good as it can be. Etc"
It took more than 20 years for that sentence to be wrong, so…

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i get why they'd have an itchy trigger finger on "Baldur's Gate 4" right now but sort of weird to me they don't just throw their IP at all kinds of studios. like yeah there will be misses but there's more than enough 'there' there in terms of capable talent and commercial interest