• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If not Obsidian or Owlcat I'd rather it be a subtitled/spinoff entry, topping BG3 is too much of an ask. Not only Larian's talent but the long dev time and unique nature of how much community feedback contributed to the final product during early access is something you likely won't be able to replicate again, unless its Larian and that ship has sailed.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obsidian or Owlcat games. Larian already stated they rather do something new than a sequel with BG4.

I want FromSoftware take a crack at BG4 lol.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Obsidian. If they can't take it, let the series rest until a new dev proves they got the chops. If it takes another 20 years so be it. No need to turn this into a soulless franchise

Jul 24, 2018
Arkane, BG3 is an CRPG with immersive sim design and former Arkane dev Raphael Conlantonio just made an isometric action immersive sim with Weird West. It would great to see them try to make one (even if I doubt they'd even want ro)

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any team that will make sure to add romance and not make some excuse for its exclusion. So definitely not Obsidian.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
i don't think forgotten realms and especially dnd 5e is that good. it's boring. i wont play any game again that uses dnd 5e

what made bg3 good is the same design ethos and stuff you can find in other larian games. larian is what made it good.

i don't want to play forgotten realms over something like eora (obsidian's world/lore IP from PoE 1 + 2 which is so much more interesting and in use in Avowed), or a new IP, etc. Almost anything is more exciting than forgotten realms/baldur's gate

for me the weakest part of bg3 was bg/forgotten realms itself. the best part was the larian parts. d:os2 combat for example is way better than dnd 5e. poe's ruleset is better than dnd 5e. etc
Well, by the time BG4 is ready we'll be on 5.5e by then.

Roll_Safe_meme.jpg

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Do we really need a BG4? What's the adventage of BG4 compared to a new IP?
Just coming in to say the argument against this is in fact Balders Gate 3. A game that came out long after the originals and their expansions had wrapped a bow on everything the original devs wanted to do. Instead of doing Balders Gate 3 Larian could have made a new original game or a third Divinity game.

Feb 13, 2018
Nobody else will make a Baldurs Gate game as good as Larian ever again. Wizard of the Coast should kiss Larians feet for making a DnD based game so popular again.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Owlcat? You'd probably look at most of the other studios that made CRPG projects during the big Kickstarter push about 10 years ago as possible studios to do something like this but that was basically Larian, Obsidian, inExile, Hairbrained Schemes and Owlcat. Larian is doing something else. Obsidian and inExile got gobbled up by Microsoft. I don't know that Hairbrained Schemes would have it in them or not to do something the same level as presentation as BG3. Not sure whether Owlcat really would either engine/tech wise but they're really the only independent RPG developer that might have a chance of doing something sort of the same, but I don't envy any developer trying to make BG4 bigger or better than BG3.

Get the people who developed Expedition: Rome.

Replicate the tech that allowed Larian to make such an exceptional cinematic dialogue.

Give them time and money.

Done.

I knew this and had forgotten this. And remembering this makes me sad. Expeditions Rome was my first Expeditions game and it was such a fun historical party based RPG.

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
If not Larian, probably nobody. Most good CRPG devs are too small for such a project (and even if you throw money and ressources at them, scaling up your business properly is *hard*), and the few big ones lean more into AAA/cinematic territory.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think both Obsidian and inXile would be able to do something of bg3 scale.

For my money, however, they should scale down and try another Neverwinter, or icewind Dale it my personal dream of a waterdeep game.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
I think Supergiant could do something really interesting with a BG4, but maybe we don't need a BG4?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Might have to jump genres for a game or two before even thinking about developing another CRPG Baldur's Gate

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
Kind of wild how few times people have mentioned BioWare as a good choice to make a new Baldur's Gate game. Sad times.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If 1st parties are out than really there is only Owlcat left. Their games are getting better and better in my opinion, so one day I can see them doing a BG4 level game if they ever get the time and resources.

I guess CDPR would also work because they also have experience with large RPGs and at least as far as i know they are not 1st party, yet.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
Other than Obsidian or inXile, Owlcat sounds like the only scenario where we get at least an attempt to surpass the scope and complexity of BG3, even if the presentation is inferior (not that I care). CDPR doesn't have any turn-based or party-based RTWP expertise.

Also best wishes to whoever tries to pull it off lol they will get ruthlessly compared not only to BG3 but with whatever game Larian releases around the time this hypothetical BG4 would come out.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If 1st parties are out than really there is only Owlcat left. Their games are getting better and better in my opinion, so one day I can see them doing a BG4 level game if they ever get the time and resources.

I guess CDPR would also work because they also have experience with large RPGs and at least as far as i know they are not 1st party, yet.
the issue is money, the owlcat ceo talked about how larain made full vo a requirement for crpgs, and thats guna make future projects much more expensive. cant see hasbro throwing 100m (bg3s budget) at them.

RaphaBE

Sep 19, 2020
California
Maybe Owlcat but they'd have to hire better writers - not that their writing is poor by any stretch, but it's a clear downgrade from what we've seen in BG3. Also they tend to deliver bug-ridden games, but to be fair BG3 wasn't exactly bug-free either. Hard to guess how well they would do with a team the size of Larian's.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
No one and to be honest Wizards of the Coast should know better.
Even if the game turns out good. Good is definitely not enough. People will riot for sure.

(Obsidian though)

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah i guess. But they are specialized in RTwP combat and usually set up a bunch of "chaff" fights to go through. Wich is widely different than what we got (and i liked) with BG3. And i'm not really willing to go back to that. So... Yeah... Outside Larian, i don't really see anyone i'd like to see making a sequel.

It would be cool for Owlcat to get a higher budget, sure, but... Yeah... Not a big fan of the idea.

Mcbel

Sep 6, 2023
If not Larian then no one please. Obsidian and Owlcat may be good, but they're not Larian good.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Arkane Studios. I'm ready to infiltrate a keep as bard or warlock or monk or rogue or cleric or storm the damn gates as an angry barbarian. I'm less interested in seeing DND mechanics game-ified again and more interested in seeing what they might do with more creative freedom and sticking to their guns.

Ludeon Studio. I'm also ready for the (Rimworld) top down simulation world survival nonsense in Forgotten Realms flavour.

For more traditional WRPG, I guess my pick would be Hairbrained (Shadowrun) for a short but sweet fix or Owlcat for deep diving into the world. Wrath of the Righteous is probably my favourite, I think the highs it hits edges it above BG3 even if BG3 is vastly better in many other ways.

kur07

Mar 30, 2021
I don't get the fascination with "Baldur's Gate" being the title of the game, and making sequels which could easily be standalone games.

Name the next game after some other Forgotten Realms location (if it needs to be a location), and give it to Tactical Adventures, creators of Solasta. Those guys did a lot with a small budget.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If Larian doesn't want to do it then let it sleep for a decade and then decide. At that point it's up for grabs, now they're just scrambling to strike when the iron's hot, which I understand but chasing the money is probably the worst decision to make.

But you know, money talks so we'll get an inferior product as a result probably.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
There is no reasonable solution

But maybe Phil Spencer has a spare billion between his couch cushions he can use to spend on another thing that's already crested and go from there

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Separate thought... Did no one suggest Bioware, the original creators of the series? Speaks volumes of how people see Bioware now. Makes me sad. I hope the new Dragon Age turns it around for that studio.
They are working on Dragon Age in some form since 2015. I think people would love next BG to be released in this decade.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Hear me out...

Dark Alliance 3

Separate thought... Did no one suggest Bioware, the original creators of the series? Speaks volumes of how people see Bioware now. Makes me sad. I hope the new Dragon Age turns it around for that studio.
They have a new Dragon Age to work on and a new Mass Effect being made right now. I doubt they'd have the time to make BG4 within the time frame WotC wants. Yeah and there's the chance EA Old Yellers theme (please don't).

They'd be my go-to studio if they were available.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
That team is gone, but yeah I would love that.

I know, that's why I said to get the people rather than the studio. They are out there, somewhere.

I thought that studio was closed / rebranded into some NFT bullshit.

I don't think we need a BG4. If someone wants to remake the Dark Sun goldbox games though.

Both actually. First the NFT stuff, then they made a new studio, and that one was Embracer'd.