• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i guess. But they are specialized in RTwP combat and usually set up a bunch of "chaff" fights to go through. Wich is widely different than what we got (and i liked) with BG3. And i'm not really willing to go back to that. So... Yeah... Outside Larian, i don't really see anyone i'd like to see making a sequel.

It would be cool for Owlcat to get a higher budget, sure, but... Yeah... Not a big fan of the idea.

While not perfect I thought their combat designed improved a lot when they went turn-based for Rogue Trader.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
It kinda depends. Does it have to be a CRPG? If so, then the only two devs I think with recent and good experience would be InXile and Owlcat. Owlcat i'm less sold on, I don't think the Pathfinder games are actually that fun since imo the encounter design in them is super poorly balanced, but it's hard to know how much of that is due to Pathfinder 1e itself. But they do have the experience translating a tabletop roleplaying system to a game.

It seems like it'd be a huge undertaking for InXile since they're not a huge dev, and I can't imagine them dedicating their entire studio to an IP they/Microsoft don't own.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Nobody. Larian must have a damn good reason to not work with WftC again. I wouldn't want any studio to waste their time on that especially when the bar is so high it's near impossible to follow up from BG3. It's a disaster in the making.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Owlcat but they'd have to hire better writers - not that their writing is poor by any stretch, but it's a clear downgrade from what we've seen in BG3. Also they tend to deliver bug-ridden games, but to be fair BG3 wasn't exactly bug-free either. Hard to guess how well they would do with a team the size of Larian's.

lol what
larian is bottom of the barrel when it comes to crpg writing
the day owlcat or other studios need to match their writing with theirs is the day i abandon the genre forever

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Owl Cat Games is probably the best equipped alternate dev team to do a nice successor to BG1 & 2, but what BG3 represents is quite different now and more akin to a Bioware Dragon Age like game. I think they'd be better off doing side-entries related to the games without going into 4 sequel territory as that's unlikely to appease what fans what out of the game now

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
On God. Give Josh Sawyer 100 million and 5 years. That's only way the next BG meets or exceeds Larian's effort.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Larian, but they don't want it, so Obsidian without them as an option.

They're an absolutely tiny studio. According to google, 23 people. They'd need to staff up 10 fold to handle a project like this.

The last game's budget was $100Mil, the sequel will be more - with 5-6 years of good planning, you could staff that (and keep the creative leads in place).

whether you wanted to stay that big after is another story

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
w
The last game's budget was $100Mil, the sequel will be more - with 5-6 years of good planning, you could staff that (and keep the creative leads in place).

whether you wanted to stay that big after is another story

True, but it kinda goes against everything I know about the company. Just not their bag, ya know? They don't really fire or do layoffs. Who knows if their culture could survive that much of an expansion.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Owlcat are probably breathing down Wizard's neck trying to get the IP.

I hope they stay with Pathfinder though. I like the setting and editions more.