• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IbizaPocholo

Oct 28, 2017
Ibiza
https://okaycool.ca/2018/09/20/banjo-kazooie-new-studio-will-have-to-make-sequel-for-fans/

That's what the composer behind the Banjo-Kazooie series, Grant Kirkhope, told Okay, Cool during a recent interview. After being asked whether or not Banjo could see a remake akin to Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy or even a sequel like "Banjo-Threeie" in the future, Kirkope stated the following:

"That's my same point. You know, I don't feel like… the only way I think Banjo-Kazooie would get remade is if another studio took it on. Rare haven't got an appetite. They don't want to do it, I don't think. I don't know, but I've got friends over there and we don't talk about it. It's just such a gut feeling in that Rare wouldn't do another Banjo-Kazooie game. Convince somebody else to do it.

Like, Killer Instinct was done by that other studio, I forgot what they're called. I kinda feel like if Banjo was to happen again they'd fire it off to somebody else. And whether they'd get the humour of it, and make a good game out of it, I don't know. You know, I'd probably say no. But then, I just worked on a Mario Rabbids with a studio in Milan that got all the Mario-ness, they got it, picked all of it up, put in a game and its Nintendo quality. So, it's completely possible.

I guess it would take a studio to approach Rare and say: "Give us a Banjo IP, we wanna make a game." You gotta think there's money in it – there's gotta be money in it for somebody. If they can make money out of it, then I guess they can have a go out of it. But my guess is Rare haven't got the appetite for a Banjo-K game. They might, but it doesn't [look] like that to me."

Check the link for more.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Here's hoping the right studio makes a pitch and Rare isn't a hardass about it. The IGN interview with the head of Rare doesn't give me confidence that they'd let the game even get made.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That title doesnt compute alot with the article. Title makes it like Rare cant do it. Article is more he thinks they dont want to do it.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yooka Laylee kind of is exactly that. It's apparently not that good, but I wouldn't expect Banjo 4 to be either. Our best hope it Twooka Laylee if that ever materialises. They'll learn from their mistakes.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree, and it's exactly what I'd want. I couldn't trust Rare to make a game I like these days, let alone a Banjo sequel. In fact they already failed the last time.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Yooka Laylee was enjoyable but it's clear in what aspects it was lacking. Level design was one of them, they definitely need a Gregg who can make small levels aesthetic pleasing with a great atmosphere.

The team from Playtonic expanded rapidly, I'd say they have the manpower to tackle another Banjo again, but not before they tried designing other games.

I think we're in for a long...long wait, frankly the only hope currently existing would be a Smash character.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
The perfect plan would've been to release a remaster a la Crash/Spyro this year on Xbox/W10/Switch, put Banjo on Smash and announce a sequel shortly after.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
This might well be true, but what I feel is also true is that Playtonic is not the studio to do it, either. Yooka-Laylee broadly missed what made B-K so great with its overlarge worlds, exaggerated amount of backtracking and nonsensically placed collectibles despite the pedigree at the studio.

My totally-out-of-left-field suggestion would be Sumo Digital. UK based, so they would have a handle on the humour, and I think it would be interesting for them and for us if they took on the genre. Whether they'd actually get it or stumble over the same design decisions that DK64-era Rare and Playtonic made - well that I of course can't say.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
All Rare had to do was go with their original vision of remaking Kazooie to set the groundwork for an actual Banjo Threeie. Maybe to gauge interest.

But instead they decided a vehicle game would be the next step for the franchise. Now even Crash is more alive than banjo.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yooka Layle nailed the Banjo Kazooie feeling, but the physics, and camera were pretty bad.

I trust in Playtronic to make a better sequel, or a new Banjo game.

Oct 27, 2017
As a guy who loved BK as a kid and wanted Threeie, and as an adult who honestly can't say he likes the Banjo games anymore, he's absolutely right. It's honestly mind-boggling why there hasn't been a true Banjo sequel on MS consoles.

Yeah, yeah. I know Nuts & Bolts has it's fans but that isn't what the majority of fans wanted. IIRC the creator of Banjo (forget his name) doesn't see the value in retreading the same ground, and is probably the main reason behind it not happening.

But instead they decided a vehicle game would be the next step for the franchise. Now even Crash is more alive than banjo.

Crash was always bigger than Banjo, dude.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the fact they made Nuts & Bolts to get away from the original BK Formula I'm totally not surprised that they have no excitement for returning to that style of game.

And considering the time I had with Yooka-Laylee, I'm fine with that. Heck I'd happily go for another weird vehicle building game or whatever odd thing they want to do with Banjo then that kind of game again.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Give it to Playtonic. Yooka-Laylee was great and if given a longer dev cycle, they'd have time to iron out the more unrefined parts.

We need another Banjo.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
As a guy who loved BK as a kid and wanted Threeie, and as an adult who honestly can't say he likes the Banjo games anymore, he's absolutely right. It's honestly mind-boggling why there hasn't been a true Banjo sequel on MS consoles.

Yeah, yeah. I know Nuts & Bolts has it's fans but that isn't what the majority of fans wanted. IIRC the creator of Banjo (forget his name) doesn't see the value in retreading the same ground, and is probably the main reason behind it not happening.

Crash was always bigger than Banjo, dude.

Im saying in current day, crash has life because of the remake.

Because it's not 2000 anymore, and he keeps getting worse and worse. The Yooka soundtrack is a joke.

Youre gonna get shit for this but its the truth. Was more impressed by David Wise's contributions in Yooka than Grant's.

Grant seems to think everything has to be sweeping and orchestral when its smarter as a composer to use orchestra as needed. Not enough melodic catchier tunes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The love for Banjo games is a typical case of the rose tinted glasses of childhood. I played these for the first time in the 360 gen and they did not hold up well at all.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think N&B is a better game than Yooka Laylee. It might not be the sequel many people wanted, but IMO is a better game.

*raises flame shield*

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
I thought yooka laylee was taking over, rare the developer isn't interested in remakes and ms isn't going to force them. Plus i would rather have Greg Mayles be a lead on a sequel than some random developer trying to recreate a moment than evolve

Jan 4, 2018
I loved Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, I absolutely want Banjo-Threeie but I really don't want Rare to make it.

I don't want a new disaster like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts to happen. I will always wonder who asked for this and thought it would be a funnier and better game than Banjo-Threeie when it was instead pure fustration from beginning to end. I think this is the worse game I ever played in my own opinion.

Banjo-Land soundtrack was the only good thing from this game, although it reminds you how much BK and BT were more enjoying games.

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That title doesnt compute alot with the article. Title makes it like Rare cant do it. Article is more he thinks they dont want to do it.
Would many be surprised if that is the case? It's not hard to think that a fair number of the people who still particularly wanted to make Banjo Threeie probably jumped ship to Playtonic.

Im saying in current day, crash has life because of the remake.

And Banjo already got a HD remake/master for both 64 titles and you can buy them right now on the Xbox One, so...?

Oct 27, 2017
The love for Banjo games is a typical case of the rose tinted glasses of childhood. I played these for the first time in the 360 gen and they did not hold up well at all.

I'm right at the final boss fight on Banjo Kazooie, playing on Xbox one through BC.

This is just a lie, Banjo Kazooie at least (not talking about Tooie because I haven't played it yet) is still a fantastic game in 2018. Like, I had the chance to play gears 4, quantum break, halo 5 and every other game available in gamepass in order to test my new Xbox one x, and I still kept playing Banjo Kazooie

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Yooka Laylee felt like your step dad wearing your dead dad's skin and trying to do an impersonation of him....

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grant Kirkhope said what a lot of fans already kinda knew. Rare doesn't seem to have any passion for revisiting their historic IP, so it would be up to a new developer to work with Microsoft on it. I can't say we are missing on much though, aside from Gregg Mayles I thought most of the original team left to Playtonic.

Maybe there's a chance a new developer could do something good with it. No one had faith in Double Helix before Killer Instinct and they turned out a fantastic game.

The biggest bummer is that I really believe we won't be getting remakes of the original games even though there's definitely money to be made there. Microsoft doesn't strike me as caring about cashing in on nostalgia when they can claim the original games are already available via backwards compatibility.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'm right at the final boss fight on Banjo Kazooie, playing on Xbox one through BC.

This is just a lie, Banjo Kazooie at least (not talking about Tooie because I haven't played it yet) is still a fantastic game in 2018. Like, I had the chance to play gears 4, quantum break, halo 5 and every other game available in gamepass in order to test my new Xbox one x, and I still kept playing Banjo Kazooie
Exactly, Banjo Kazooie is still great if you are into the genre. Obviously like every game it's not for everybody but I'm honestly surprised how well it holds. Even if they were to remaster it, I can't imagine any changes other than the graphics themselves.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think N&B is a better game than Yooka Laylee. It might not be the sequel many people wanted, but IMO is a better game.

*raises flame shield*

I have a lot of issues with Nuts and Bolts that go beyond it not being a platformer, but at the end of the day it was a well made video game. I agree, I think it was a better game than Yooka Laylee. I had fun getting 100% on Nuts and Bolts and didn't even attempt that with Yooka Laylee sooo...

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grant seems to think everything has to be sweeping and orchestral when its smarter as a composer to use orchestra as needed. Not enough melodic catchier tunes.
I personally think that Kirkhope's work on DK64, GoldenEye, and Perfect Dark is absolutely outstanding. Extremely bold melodies. Tight riffs. Classic, classic music. His more recent stuff has tended to be less strongly melodic, IMO. More sorta meandering and wishy-washy. Kinda like what happened to Alan Silvestri.

The N64's technical limitations forced composers to be very economical with sound, and I feel this constraint helped some games. (There's a reason the N64 version of Port of Adia by Darren Mitchell is more highly regarded than the orchestral PC version.)

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
the key to making a new BK game is not just to make a game like the old ones - this is what Yooka Laylee is and, although fun it doesn't really work.

Whoever does it needs to update the BK formula with all thats been learned over the last 20 years but keep the BK feel - this is what Nintendo does with Super Mario 3D games and it really works.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
the key to making a new BK game is not just to make a game like the old ones - this is what Yooka Laylee is and, although fun it doesn't really work.

Whoever does it needs to update the BK formula with all thats been learned over the last 20 years but keep the BK feel - this is what Nintendo does with Super Mario 3D games and it really works.
Yooka-Laylee is a worse version of the old Banjo-Kazooies. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it shouldn't be used as a reason against making new traditional Banjo-Kazooie / Yooka-Laylee games.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I understand the nostalgia for Banjo Kazooie, It was a genuinely great game.

But after Tooie and Donkey Kong 64, I have 0 hype for that kind of game.

Yooka Layle seems competent but most are very lukewarm towards it.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Nintendo should just buy back the Rare IP created during the N64 era and give it decent remakes with successors following afterwards.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly in terms of 3d platforming I can only think of two devs that can do Banjo justice:

Nintendo which is impossible

Insomniac which is doubtful after the success with Spiderman. I bet they gonna be marvel farming company for some time now.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo should just buy back the Rare IP created during the N64 era and give it decent remakes with successors following afterwards.

Why? Frankly speaking, none of the IP Rare created for N64 games is of particular value to Nintendo, nor does much of it cover genres Nintendo already doesn't have a finger in.

Keep in mind that Nintendo is already stretched thin enough that the only way series they already own like Metroid is going to get future titles is by farming them out to third parties, there is very little chance anyone internally at Nintendo cares enough about any of the Rare games to actually go through with making one internally.