• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
73289853007-test-flight-5.jpg

73289852007-test-flight-10.jpg

73289851007-test-flight-2.jpg

image.png

Kathleen Wong
USA TODAY

Dogs will soon be able to experience their own "furst" class flight with the launch of the world's first jet charter company specifically designed for man's best friend.

BARK, the dog toy company that coordinates the popular treat subscription BarkBox, is partnering with a jet charter service to take away the challenges of long-distance traveling with dogs, according to a press release. BARK Air, as the company calls it, offers the "white glove experience typical of a human's first-class experience and redirected all that pampering to pooches."

Taking dogs on airplanes is, typically, a stressful endeavor with different airlines having different policies for pet travel. For example, American Airlines allows small dogs in a carrier to be placed under the seat in front, but larger dogs are put in the cargo space, which has been found to be stressful for the pet. For United Airlines, pets can fly in the cabin if there's enough space, but they must fit in a carrier under the seat in front.

"We are excited to take the insights we've learned over years to create an experience that is truly dog-first, which is drastically different from just accepting dogs – from the ground to the skies," said Matt Meeker, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer at BARK, in a statement.

However, you'll need to pay a hefty fee for the dog-friendly flight. For now, a ticket for just one dog and one human will run you at least $6,000 one way.

The first BARK Air flights will take off on May 23, and so far, there are only two flight routes available, both from New York's Westchester County Airport. From New York to London's Stansted Airport, it'll cost $8,000 one-way and to Los Angeles's Van Nuys Airport will cost $6,000 one-way. Tickets are available for purchase on April 11.

Not only does BARK Air allow dogs, it also focuses on the furry friends by treating them like VIPs, the press release said. BARK Air passengers can skip TSA checkpoints and screenings and instead experience a simple check-in process where they can meet the other dogs on the flight and the humans are served a meal cooked by on-site chefs.

When boarding, a BARK Air concierge is on-hand to ensure the dogs are socializing and adjusting to the environment well.

Each flight will undergo "Dogs Fly First" flight prep that includes "calming pheromones, music, and colors that pups prefer." To make the flying experience easier and more enjoyable, dogs have access to various aids such as calming treats, noise-canceling ear muffs, and calming jackets.

During takeoff and descent, dogs are given a beverage of their choice to help their ears adjust to cabin pressurization. Of course, there will be plenty of treats on the flight.
www.usatoday.com

The world's first doggy jet service will cost you $6K for a one-way ticket

To make flying with dogs a comfortable and luxurious experience, BARK Air is a new jet charter company that specifically caters to man's best friend.

Last edited:

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The increasing amount of effort and focus and attention and resources we have given to pets in relation to other human beings over the past 30 years is dangerously frightening.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seems like a scheme for millionaires to have their dogs go on private jets and give them also the luxury treatment.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
We really need to put that top income tax bracket back to 90%.

Also 95% on inheritance. Let's mostly do away with generational wealth.

We could do so much more as a country without this bullshit.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i mean, i share the opinions of my fellow posters, but that final picture of the dog drinking what looks to be champagne is extremely funny

it's a bowl sized fancy drink glass!!!!

Vourlis

Aug 14, 2022
United States
Nearly one in ten people around the world go to bed hungry each night, a crisis driven largely by conflict, climate change, and chronic inequality.

Your fucking dog can ride Economy.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie, I would love to take my dog (who is just over the 8kg limit many airlines have) on vacations. But no, not like this.

edit: 8kg limit to not put the dog with the luggage, to be clear. Could not do that.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
And here I was thinking "oh shit I'd do this" with my dog and Era just rained on my parade 😂

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
Please tell me this is actually water on that last picture and not champagne or something like that.

On topic: fuck that idea and everyone involved

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
ITT: A bunch of people who either don't have dogs or don't know how much it costs to move with a dog.

$8k is incredibly reasonable for a standard, medium-sized dog, on a chartered flight (plus human ticket). Were I needing to move to the US, say for work or family, the amount of money (and stress!) that this would save me is vast, compared to the current options. For dogs that do not fit under the seat in front (the majority), something like this is a huge boon for owners - I imagine that this would be used for people moving countries, and not used for short stints, which is what it appears to be being construed as by people in this thread.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
You should hear how some people talk about pets compared to babies.
To be fair, in this particular case, babies don't need import forms, microchipping and rabies shots just to fly to another country, and that's not even mentioning the fact that pets might freeze to death in the hold if the captain didn't read the cargo manifest properly. So in this instance, the amount of effort and focus when it comes to moving countries with a pet is valid IMO.

The fur babies thing, yeah, I don't agree with that though, and I say that as a dog owner.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, is there a ban on dogs in chartered/private Jets? If not, I don't really see the point other than some novelty for wealthy people who pamper their pets(which I'm not against pet pampering if you can afford it I guess).

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'm confused, is there a ban on dogs in chartered/private Jets? If not, I don't really see the point other than some novelty for wealthy people who pamper their pets(which I'm not against pet pampering if you can afford it I guess).
There is no ban on dogs on those kindof journeys, but if you're looking to book your own flight specifically for the purposes of moving abroad with a dog that cannot fit in the hold (for example due to breathing issues) then that is going to set you back at least x30~ of the prices they list above.

For example; Pewdiepie chartered a flight to Tokyo from Stanstead and it cost at least £260,000 for him, his wife, and their two dogs.

These chartered routes mean that owners can pool together on pre-booked flights, thus lowering the costs for everyone involved.

Jan 23, 2024
The increasing amount of effort and focus and attention and resources we have given to pets in relation to other human beings over the past 30 years is dangerously frightening.

It's a big market, with a lot of people treating dogs better than they treat their fellow humans. A certain type of pet owner is willing to overspend by an alarming amount on luxuries for their pet--luxuries they don't even spend on themselves.

Though if I'm honest I agree this almost seems more like a money laundering operation more than anything.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
It isn't though.

Flights are necessary for intercontinental travel. Luxury hotels (for people or dogs) are just that, a luxury.

This isn't something nefarious, or money laundering - them calling this a luxury service in the press release is marketing, they want to get the word out about a product they are selling/service they are offering.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I would never fly with my dogs unless I absolutely had to, especially on a private plane.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno who Kathleen Wong is but she should be ashamed for that fur pun in the opening sentence, hahaha.

Don't have a problem with this, the price is so laughably crazy -- $6000/one way -- that it's just this other world of wealth that I genuinely don't care about. I agree with the actual reasoning behind the airline, pets are treated very differently today than 30 and 40 years ago, and like leaving your dog at home and having the dog be checked on a couple times a day by a relative is just not how people do it anymore, for good reason. Back before our pooch died, we had reliable dog sitters and a boarding place we used a couple times, but man it was *always* stressful come vacation time. I get it for people who are away for long periods of time. But the price is so laughably crazy for any normal person, it's just such a different world of money that most of us don't live in.

Generally agree, although even in our community it's a pretty common opinion that people like their pets more than other humans, it's kind of a natural extension. Because of isolation, technology, personalization/separation algorithms, lack of shared community/experience, and whatever else, people are becoming more estranged from other people, and are supplanting/augmenting human connection with pets, we're becoming more empathetic (and sympathetic) to pets and less so to other humans.

Especially weird when your cat was a landlord in a past life and your dog wants to be a cop when it grows up.

Last edited:

discogs

Oct 28, 2017
London
Our society is revolting. The fawning businesses who make up crap for the 1% to entertain themselves with. Disgusting. We need to tax people's wealth away and redistribute it to the essential workers who do real work, are hardly paid anything and can barely keep their heads above the poverty line.

Oct 30, 2017
ITT: A bunch of people who either don't have dogs or don't know how much it costs to move with a dog.

$8k is incredibly reasonable for a standard, medium-sized dog, on a chartered flight (plus human ticket). Were I needing to move to the US, say for work or family, the amount of money (and stress!) that this would save me is vast, compared to the current options. For dogs that do not fit under the seat in front (the majority), something like this is a huge boon for owners - I imagine that this would be used for people moving countries, and not used for short stints, which is what it appears to be being construed as by people in this thread.

yeah, this. i couldn't afford this at all for regular travel but i'd love to have the option as a one-off if i was moving to another continent, for example. i'd be terrified to put my dog in the hold — way too many horror stories.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I would never fly with my dogs unless I absolutely had to, especially on a private plane.
If you had to, say if you were moving countries - this option would be cheaper and safer for the pets. It's not even a debate.

Our society is revolting. The fawning businesses who make up crap for the 1% to entertain themselves with. Disgusting. We need to tax people's wealth away and redistribute it to the essential workers who do real work, are hardly paid anything and can barely keep their heads above the poverty line.
Look, you can hate capitalism all you want (I won't stop you!) but the rest of what you're saying doesn't apply to this situation. If you are a pet owner and you need to move countries, this is a service for your needs, and one that is reasonably priced AND (if I'm being particular) one chartered flight with 10 owners and their dogs is far better regarding emissions than 10 different millionaires on 10 different flights.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
There are already similar services, like K9 Jets.

A friend did a charter once when his family emigrated to California. If you factor in the cost of 4 airline tickets, dog crate, and the massive amount of luggage they were able to bring, the price made much more sense.

In those situations I think its justified, I would never put my dog in the cargo hold for a long-haul flight.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
hey, fuck this

dogs do not need a first class flight at the cost of huge carbon emissons...
The problem is that every other method of flying with your dogs is incredibly draconian. I don't want my dog in a cargo hold for an extended period of time. But I see the poster above mention something called K9 Jets, which I've never looked in to.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't though.

Flights are necessary for intercontinental travel. Luxury hotels (for people or dogs) are just that, a luxury.

This isn't something nefarious, or money laundering - them calling this a luxury service in the press release is marketing, they want to get the word out about a product they are selling/service they are offering.

I don't know. Them talking about dogs getting VIP treatment, jackets, specialized drinks, treats, special lighting/music/pheromones to keep them calm, human passengers having food prepared by a chef while waiting to board the flight seems to me like it's a luxury. I'm sure it would be great for those traveling between continents, and far less stressful, but it still looks like a luxury item to pamper and keep pets calm since the standard is either pets going into the cargo hold or being in carriers that fit under the seat. I think there should be something more in-between than the standard vs luxury to accommodate people like you.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I don't know. Them talking about dogs getting VIP treatment, jackets, specialized drinks, stuff to keep them calm, human passengers having food prepared by a chef while waiting to board the flight seems to me like it's a luxury. I'm sure it would be great for those traveling between continents, and far less stressful, but it still looks like a luxury item since the standard is either pets going into the cargo hold or being in carriers that fit under the seat.
I would really like something in-between. My dog is 45 pounds, so too large for below-seat, and if I move cross country I'd still like to take him to our family Beach house in the summer. With current options I can't do that in good conscience.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I don't know. Them talking about dogs getting VIP treatment, jackets, specialized drinks, treats, special lighting/music/pheromones to keep them calm, human passengers having food prepared by a chef while waiting to board the flight seems to me like it's a luxury. I'm sure it would be great for those traveling between continents, and far less stressful, but it still looks like a luxury item to pamper and keep pets calm since the standard is either pets going into the cargo hold or being in carriers that fit under the seat. I think there should be something more in-between than the standard vs luxury to accommodate people like you.
Honestly, I'm just seeing that as standard marketing bullshit to encourage people to notice the service and clickbait for sites to cover them to get the news out organically.

I'd imagine the weighted jackets, and all the other stuff mentioned to have little-to-no impact on their bottom lines for this kindof service, and if it can get one or two additional owners to bite (if you'll excuse the pun) then I guess there isn't a reason why they wouldn't include it.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
If I'm supposed to be mad about this, I'm not. Traveling with a dog on a plane is a nightmare because airlines have turned into complete trash and we generally treat animals far worse.

Seems like a nice, service for long distance travel for pets.

As for the carbon emissions, that ship has sailed. There's an order of magnitude more unnecessary human emissions from air travel than whatever this thing will emit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Just poll any place about whether or not they'd save a dog over a human being. The results just might shock you!

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of those useless luxury things that cater to influencers and Millionaires with too much money.

Jan 4, 2021
All I want are kid friendly flights where say, 2 or 3 rows are removed to make a play area for kids. The big screens pump out bluey all day. All the crying and noise in the world and no one can complain because it's a "kids" flight. As a parent I would happily pay extra for a flight like that. And people without kids can pay discounted rates. Everyone wins.