• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
From the Iwata asks. We also detailed the Wii U GPU block and other than t1sram memory, I don't believe any Hollywood logic was ever found, though they would have had to be integrated into other parts of the GPU blocks, and there was likely some sort of TEV translator hardware in the GPU, Wii U's GPU was very capable for Wii games, and wouldn't have had much trouble bringing those games to 1080p, here is the specific quote.
thanks for the link, that's interesting — but i meant the claim: "they didn't have to rewrite the render engine from TEV units to unified programmable shader models. They could just run the Gamecube code with higher rendering output.".

i don't think this is at all true unless i'm completely misinterpreting it.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
The Wii U hardware should be capable of rendering Wii games in 1080p, The GPU was designed to handle Wii's GPU instructions, without a 1:1 copy of the logic that "Hollywood" had. Thus the whole GPU can be tapped to render a Wii game in 1080p. This was why it only took a few months to take Wind Waker and bring it to HD on the Wii U, they didn't have to rewrite the render engine from TEV units to unified programmable shader models. They could just run the Gamecube code with higher rendering output.

Ouya would have had a shot with Tegra 4, but yes they had plenty of other hurtles, I think the major benefit to Ouya, is that it was very popular for coming out as a kickstarter console, but Tegra 3 meant it was dated the moment it came to market, with next gen consoles just a few months away, and indies with limited support via Unity and not even UE4 which had a real potential for taking over the mobile market.

But Wii U hardware couldn't be ready on time for 2010. launch, I mean how much problems they had just with Wii U OS.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, the Wii U remake of the GameCube game, was developed in just about six months, Aonuma shared. "Development was still difficult," he added. "You had to consider the difference in hardware at the time."

So Around 6 months and I dont think they count hole game development, because game was annouced in January with screen shots of game (so its safe to assume that game was in development for some time already in that time) and released in September of same year.
For comparison, for Zelda TP HD took 18 months by time of around 40 people.
nintendoeverything.com

Tantalus on Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - landing the job, Nintendo's involvement, amiibo, dev length, much more

On the latest episode of Fragments of Silicon, Tantalus CEO Tom Crago stopped by for a chat. A majority of the conversation centered around The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, of which the studio was largely responsible for. Crago went in-depth about developing Twilight Princess HD. That...

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the link, that's interesting — but i meant the claim: "they didn't have to rewrite the render engine from TEV units to unified programmable shader models. They could just run the Gamecube code with higher rendering output.".

i don't think this is at all true unless i'm completely misinterpreting it.
The Gamecube and Wii support in the hacking scene around Wii U, happens automatically, which suggests the GPU understands TEV code, even though Hollywood as a whole has never been found in the detailed die shots that we disected.
But Wii U hardware couldn't be ready on time for 2010. launch, I mean how much problems they had just with Wii U OS.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, the Wii U remake of the GameCube game, was developed in just about six months, Aonuma shared. "Development was still difficult," he added. "You had to consider the difference in hardware at the time."

So Around 6 months and I dont think they count hole game development, because game was annouced in January with screen shots of game (so its safe to assume that game was in development for some time already in that time) and released in September of same year.
For comparison, for Zelda TP HD took 18 months by time of around 40 people.
nintendoeverything.com

Tantalus on Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - landing the job, Nintendo's involvement, amiibo, dev length, much more

On the latest episode of Fragments of Silicon, Tantalus CEO Tom Crago stopped by for a chat. A majority of the conversation centered around The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, of which the studio was largely responsible for. Crago went in-depth about developing Twilight Princess HD. That...
He does specify what he is talking about here:

He continued "there is a technique known as toon shading, which gives the game a very animated look. At that time, the technique was established, but had not been used before by our staff, so everyone had to do everything by hand."

However, it may have been the widescreen support that proved the most troublesome in preparing the HD version. "For dramatic purposes, we would have characters we didn't want in the frame, but in 16:9 ratio, you could still see those characters," Aonuma said. This meant that the developers had to manually edit all applicable scenes.
none of that was rewriting code from TEV instructions to programmable shaders.

It's also worth noting that Twilight Princess also showed up in the slides in January, neither project had officially started development, Aunoma says it took about 6 months, and the game must have went gold in September, so development with the Zelda team seemingly started in spring 2013, this makes some sense, as BotW's development started January that same year.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
the claim that they didn't replace the tev instructions in Wind Water HD with programmable shaders is still completely unsubstantiated. :(
Well it is deductive reasoning, no tev units found in the xray professional die shots for Wii U we got and analyzed, and we know that the Wii U can just run Gamecube and Wii games via the hacking scene. Nintendo did state that they didn't put Hollywood inside the Wii U's GPU, but modified the Wii U's GPU to be usable for the Wii, which does suggest that the Wii U's GPU is compatible with Wii and by extension Gamecube games.

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, in TEV you couldn't even reassign render targets. and your contention is that they somehow retrofitted a deferred lighting setup on top of the old tev setup, assumably by programming it with new tev instructions (via a million EFB copies i guess?! that'd be preposterously slow at 720p on the Wii U) using a completely undocumented and untooled SDK feature, assumably by baking out new TEV display lists based on the old ones using custom scripts that they somehow wrote in six months, and only used once.

it's just extremely unlikely is all i'm saying, and it really needs a giant asterisk on the claim.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
i mean, in TEV you couldn't even reassign render targets. and your contention is that they somehow retrofitted a deferred lighting setup on top of the old tev setup, assumably by programming it with new tev instructions (via a million EFB copies i guess?!) using a completely undocumented and untooled SDK feature, assumably by baking out new TEV display lists based on the old ones using custom scripts that they somehow wrote in six months, and only used once.

it's just extremely unlikely is all i'm saying, and it really needs a giant asterisk on the claim.
Uh no. I'm suggesting that they used an interpreter. The Wii U was fully compatible with Wii games, had the entire Wii shop in the vWii app. The best solution for something like this would have been to translate TEV code on the fly to the much larger modern GPU with programmable shaders, and maybe some acceleration in the Texture units for executing some fixed function TEV code that was too fast to handle via the shaders. We do know that block J1 in the Wii U's GPU was a texture block bigger and different than the others, not big enough to hold hollywood, and Nintendo said they didn't put Hollywood's logic in the GPU die, that they just modified the GPU to be used by the Wii.

The claim I'm talking about is speculation on how it was done, but it was done, that much is backed up by the iwata asks and the very reality of the Wii U's very very costly Wii BC, which made the MCM more expensive than the PS4 SoC that came out a year later.

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not arguing that the wii-u didn't have wii-like hardware — you keep going back to that but it's not all what i'm talking about. i'm arguing that the practical reality of running TEV instructions with a modern lighting engine doesn't make any sense.

like, maybe as way of binding some stuff as _input_ for a shader or for programming the blend state or ras state — maybe there's some undocumented feature that that does that? i doubt it, but maybe. but to somehow do this without any shaders at all?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not arguing that the wii-u didn't have wii-like hardware — you keep going back to that but it's not all what i'm talking about. i'm arguing that the practical reality of running TEV instructions with a modern lighting engine doesn't make any sense.

like, maybe as way of binding some stuff as _input_ for a shader or for programming the blend state or ras state — maybe there's some undocumented feature that that does that? i doubt it, but maybe. but to somehow do this without any shaders at all?
I'm not a GPU engineer, but this particular GPU was designed to run Wii games by modifying R700 architecture in a way that allowed TEV instructions to run fast enough to out perform the Wii a great deal. I'm simply suggesting it is probably enough to run Wii games at 1080p, as it had no problem running Wind Waker at 1080p, and a 6 month development cycle with in game improvements, new Cel Shading done "by hand" and editing scenes, all while BotW had already started full development, and ALBW was also finishing up, taking away people from the Wind Waker project during that time.

I can understand something if it's explained to me, but from what I remember TEV was semi programmable, so maybe like a primitive alternative to shader models. The same team who built them, was working on this GPU, so it would be within their knowledge to modify the GPU without needing to just drop in Hollywood and call it a day.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It could just be that the Wii U's OS was able to expose the TEV API, but implemented under the hood in terms of a software that translates to modern gpu functions instead of direct hardware support

Oct 25, 2017
this a tangent from the current conversation, but another thing to keep in mind when saying "the wii u could have run wii games at 1080p without issue" is that, even with "perfect" GPU instruction interpretation, a lot of the techniques as programmed on TEV don't necessarily scale linearly at higher resolutions — like, having to copy out and replace big chunks of a 1080p buffer willy-nilly ain't no joke, and that's how you had to do it back in the day if you wanted to write to a texture in any way.

Oct 26, 2017
Wind Waker HD looks nothing like the GameCube version..
Seriously you only have to look at it to realise it's not an higher resolution version of the same code.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
this a tangent from the current conversation, but another thing to keep in mind when saying "the wii u could have run wii games at 1080p without issue" is that, even with "perfect" GPU instruction interpretation, a lot of the techniques as programmed on TEV don't necessarily scale linearly at higher resolutions — like, having to copy out and replace big chunks of a 1080p buffer willy-nilly ain't no joke, and that's how you had to do it back in the day if you wanted to write to a texture in any way.
Didn't the T1SRAM offer absolutely ridiculous transfer speeds anyways?

Here is the real issue, Wii U wasn't used as a Wii HD, this theoretical conversation has its limits. If Nintendo wanted to make a Wii HD, they could have just had TEV units on the GPU, the engineers who built this GPU were the ones who designed TEV in the first place though, and their knowledge would easily exceed anyone in this thread, so why worry about how Wii U would function as a Wii HD, if modifications were needed, they had time and knowledge to make those changes. From what we know, it seems like Wii U could have been used this way, modified from the current version of the GPU or not.

I wish I knew the answer, or at least could offer a more knowledgeable response for you, but it isn't important, the parallels between the Wii and Switch are why we are discussing it, Wii U is just there to show us that Nintendo could have probably done it if they wanted to, and has given us the hindsight needed to make a judgement about the direction Nintendo went with the Wii and Wii U products as separate platforms, rather than an extension of a single platform.

This judgement is what we should be discussing, and while I always find tech talk interesting (because I might learn something new), I don't think anyone can give us these answers, though thraktor and fourth storm were both people who analyzed the Wii U GPU and could possibly give us insight into how TEV instructions worked.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It's also worth noting that Twilight Princess also showed up in the slides in January, neither project had officially started development, Aunoma says it took about 6 months, and the game must have went gold in September, so development with the Zelda team seemingly started in spring 2013, this makes some sense, as BotW's development started January that same year.

They announced and showed Zelda WW HD screenshots in January 2013. and those screenshots are exactly same like we got with final games, so that means that game development started before that, not after that.

Nintendo said they tried Zelda TP and SS in HD also, but they just tried them to see how those games look in HD, in time when they were choosing art style for Zelda BotW.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
They announced and showed Zelda WW HD screenshots in January 2013. and those screenshots are exactly same like we got with final games, so that means that game development started before that, not after that.

Nintendo said they tried Zelda TP and SS in HD also, but they just tried them to see how those games look in HD, in time when they were choosing art style for Zelda BotW.

This makes more sense than starting the project in spring, maybe it's another moment where Nintendo completed the game and released it in October for the holiday season? We know they have done this with various Switch titles, and seems more likely than Aonuma lying about the game being in development for 6 months. If it was finished in Spring and released a few months later instead.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
with Kingdoms of Amalur comign to switch as well as an expansion, I guess that's one game that could get a Pro patch. maybe then Darksiders 3 will finally come to Switch

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
This makes more sense than starting the project in spring, maybe it's another moment where Nintendo completed the game and released it in October for the holiday season?
We know they have done this with various Switch titles, and seems more likely than Aonuma lying about the game being in development for 6 months. If it was finished in Spring and released a few months later instead.

Hardly, Wii U had huge droughts in its 1st year, Nintendo would want to release Zelda WW HD soonest they could.
I dont think Aonuma was lying, but maybe most of work was done in around 6 months, but there was some work before that and some after that,
in any case we again talk about additional few months, I think game all counted was done in less than year in any case but not only for 6 months.

Fourth Storm

Oct 25, 2017
From the Iwata asks. We also detailed the Wii U GPU block and other than t1sram memory, I don't believe any Hollywood logic was ever found, though they would have had to be integrated into other parts of the GPU blocks, and there was likely some sort of TEV translator hardware in the GPU, Wii U's GPU was very capable for Wii games, and wouldn't have had much trouble bringing those games to 1080p, here is the specific quote.
We could argue back and forth on this one, but I'm pretty sure that the bulk of Flipper is in one of the Wii U GPU's logic blocks. There is one suspicious looking block in particular I recall that sat next to the eDRAM and it had lots of dual-channel SRAM, which at the time, led me to believe it was related to Flipper. Can't remember why I thought that now, but I'm sure I had my reasons lol. But yeah, I think Iwata's comment was more in reference to things like the 3 MB of SRAM on the Wii U GPU, video output blocks, and things like that. The TEV stuff and Wii graphics rendering was seemingly done natively with at least a portion of the original Flipper logic.

Oct 26, 2017
The Wii U has 2 SRAM areas and the Wii mode probably makes use of both of them to replicate how that worked originally. Definitely don't get why they would alter the GPU cores to replicate what the Wii did with a single core.
Not sure why this thread turned into a reread of 10 years old project cafe speculation though. Seriously this is 'this is how Wii HD will run Wii games at 1080p' speculation. Except, it didn't, so there's no reason the hw would be designed around that.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020
The Wii U has 2 SRAM areas and the Wii mode probably makes use of both of them to replicate how that worked originally. Definitely don't get why they would alter the GPU cores to replicate what the Wii did with a single core.
Not sure why this thread turned into a reread of 10 years old project cafe speculation though. Seriously this is 'this is how Wii HD will run Wii games at 1080p' speculation. Except, it didn't, so there's no reason the hw would be designed around that.
It stemmed from the Wii and Switch being in the same position currently and how the wii if it had the HD sku released in 2010 it could have done more as a platform and not collapsed the way it did, the switch being in the position where it is ripe to do 4k. Then others commented how it is possible and how it isn't.

Which is irrelevant for a switch and what is now vs then. Switch is in a different position than the wii, has a different partner in making it (NV vs now AMD), has an appeal that cannot be copied so easily and successfully by the other gaming competitors, has one of the most profitable IPs in gaming with a very active playerbase, increase in software on the platform and the value of the system, a single platform focus from the platform holder, can be succeeded whenever they choose to succeed the platform and still do relatively well, etc.

Switch most definitely is in a position that is far more favorable than the wii by comparison, far more. Though I still want a Switch that perfects the handheld and the home console formula, it was a good start but has room for improvement imo. Preferably sooner than later.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

For some Red Sox fans, it's always 1986.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
More mini-LED chatters from the Taiwanese supply chain: Elan and Macroblock won contracts of mini-LED chips for the next generation Switch. Google translation of the relevant paragraphs below.

"Nintendo is actively preparing for the next generation of game console Switch Pro. It is reported that it will adopt the new generation of panel technology Mini LED. In addition to the cooperation with the Taiwanese manufacturer Innolux ( 3481-TW ), it is reported that Elan ( 2458-TW ) and Macroblock ( 3527-TW ) respectively The winning of large orders for panel timing control chips and driver chips is also the first victory for the cooperation between the two parties in Mini LED, which has symbolic and substantial benefits."

"As Mini LED emphasizes fine image quality, the number of chips is more than a multiple of that of previous LCDs under the same panel area, and the chip spacing is significantly smaller than before. The role of the driver chip is more important. In addition to controlling more chips at a time, it also needs more Precise dimming, while satisfying functions such as low power consumption and grayscale enhancement."

"The supply chain revealed that Macroblock has mastered the local dimming technology (Local Dimming), which has changed the previous global dimming technology (Global Dimming) used in LCD backlights. The image quality is comparable to OLED. At the same time, it has a dynamic high scan count design to enhance contrast and The light and shadow changes make the PCB layout more concise and meet the thin and light design, so it is favored by large customer Nintendo."

"In addition to being Macroblock's partner, ELAN has also been deeply involved in the touch panel display field. It has chip patents and technologies such as touch and display technology, and experience in module design integration. This time, ELAN provides a timing control chip (T-CON), The products of both parties will be packaged and sold, and they will officially enter the new field of game consoles."

"Recently, Sony and Microsoft have successively launched PS5 and Xbox Series X, both of which support 4K image quality and high screen refresh rate. After Nintendo has not fallen behind, it is reported that it plans to launch a new Switch and adopt a new generation of Mini LED displays. Technology, support 4K resolution."

Please note that the mentioning of "Switch Pro" and "4K resolution" are simply the reporter citing the existing rumors. The only new info sourced is the involvement of Elan and Macroblock.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
More mini-LED chatters from the Taiwanese supply chain: Elan and Macroblock won contracts of mini-LED chips for the next generation Switch. Google translation of the relevant paragraphs below.

"Nintendo is actively preparing for the next generation of game console Switch Pro. It is reported that it will adopt the new generation of panel technology Mini LED. In addition to the cooperation with the Taiwanese manufacturer Innolux ( 3481-TW ), it is reported that Elan ( 2458-TW ) and Macroblock ( 3527-TW ) respectively The winning of large orders for panel timing control chips and driver chips is also the first victory for the cooperation between the two parties in Mini LED, which has symbolic and substantial benefits."

"As Mini LED emphasizes fine image quality, the number of chips is more than a multiple of that of previous LCDs under the same panel area, and the chip spacing is significantly smaller than before. The role of the driver chip is more important. In addition to controlling more chips at a time, it also needs more Precise dimming, while satisfying functions such as low power consumption and grayscale enhancement."

"The supply chain revealed that Macroblock has mastered the local dimming technology (Local Dimming), which has changed the previous global dimming technology (Global Dimming) used in LCD backlights. The image quality is comparable to OLED. At the same time, it has a dynamic high scan count design to enhance contrast and The light and shadow changes make the PCB layout more concise and meet the thin and light design, so it is favored by large customer Nintendo."

"In addition to being Macroblock's partner, ELAN has also been deeply involved in the touch panel display field. It has chip patents and technologies such as touch and display technology, and experience in module design integration. This time, ELAN provides a timing control chip (T-CON), The products of both parties will be packaged and sold, and they will officially enter the new field of game consoles."

"Recently, Sony and Microsoft have successively launched PS5 and Xbox Series X, both of which support 4K image quality and high screen refresh rate. After Nintendo has not fallen behind, it is reported that it plans to launch a new Switch and adopt a new generation of Mini LED displays. Technology, support 4K resolution."

Please note that the mentioning of "Switch Pro" and "4K resolution" are simply the reporter citing the existing rumors. The only new info sourced is the involvement of Elan and Macroblock.
If Nintendo wants HDR for the next Switch, then a mini-LED screen makes a lot of sense to accomplish that. The number of dimming zones would almost certainly be heavily limited by screen size, but it would give them a way to have that feature in handheld mode without burn-in concerns.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
We could argue back and forth on this one, but I'm pretty sure that the bulk of Flipper is in one of the Wii U GPU's logic blocks. There is one suspicious looking block in particular I recall that sat next to the eDRAM and it had lots of dual-channel SRAM, which at the time, led me to believe it was related to Flipper. Can't remember why I thought that now, but I'm sure I had my reasons lol. But yeah, I think Iwata's comment was more in reference to things like the 3 MB of SRAM on the Wii U GPU, video output blocks, and things like that. The TEV stuff and Wii graphics rendering was seemingly done natively with at least a portion of the original Flipper logic.
maybe you and Thraktor can, I never spent time analyzing the die shots like that, when I made my post earlier it was based on his OP years ago at the old site where the blocks were highlighted and iirc now, he said something about J1 texture unit being very different from the others, but that Wii's GPU wasn't found.

One interesting thing about Wii U's GPU is that it is clocked at 550MHz, which is enough to take a widescreen 480p resolution (854x480p) on Wii's 243MHz Hollywood, and if Hollywood is intacted on Wii U, would be able to output 720p (1280x720) or 2.25x higher clock for 2.25 more pixels. Always thought that just raw numbers wise, the Wii U's GPU could handle HD if Hollywood was there, but thought they modified a modern GPU to handle TEV instructions, which would have been more flexible.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Just read the article, exciting stuff.

I hope that since they've actually named the companies it will be more reliable then simple "Nintendo is buying insert screens" stories.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
HDR is something that on one hand makes total sense, but i also could see them missing it, since its not quite standard (true had, not the "we technically support it but without local dimming and have a contrast ratio of average 800 and max brightness of 300")

VRR... yeah, shure. i would be more happy with solid 30/60, if its its a bonus witzout negatives, why not.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It stemmed from the Wii and Switch being in the same position currently and how the wii if it had the HD sku released in 2010 it could have done more as a platform and not collapsed the way it did, the switch being in the position where it is ripe to do 4k. Then others commented how it is possible and how it isn't.

Which is irrelevant for a switch and what is now vs then. Switch is in a different position than the wii, has a different partner in making it (NV vs now AMD), has an appeal that cannot be copied so easily and successfully by the other gaming competitors, has one of the most profitable IPs in gaming with a very active playerbase, increase in software on the platform and the value of the system, a single platform focus from the platform holder, can be succeeded whenever they choose to succeed the platform and still do relatively well, etc.

Switch most definitely is in a position that is far more favorable than the wii by comparison, far more. Though I still want a Switch that perfects the handheld and the home console formula, it was a good start but has room for improvement imo. Preferably sooner than later.
The problem that is the exact same for Wii in 2010 and Switch in 2021, is there are only so many people to sell to, they need to change the value of the device to get people to buy a second Switch, to upgrade, that is exactly what an upgraded model is suppose to achieve.
Assuming that the next Nintendo Switch model's dock is going to use Realtek's RTD2713 (DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 converter) chip, does a max resolution of 4K 60 Hz with support for 12-bit with 4:4:4 chroma for TV mode seem like a reasonable assumption to make (given that DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 32.4 Gbps)?
It might support 4K60, but I don't think switch will be fast enough to output 4K DLSS at 60fps, would need to do the work in ~5ms to have a hope, which only leaves ~11ms for the render, of course to do that with Ampere's tensor core setup, it would need to be faster than we are thinking.

VRR is a game changer though, smooth portable gameplay, even at less than ideal frame rates can really help a game system from feeling sluggish.
Is this Switch Pro thing happening or just a rumor? I have been holding off on some games..
There is a thick layer of smoke all around a Switch Pro, but we can't know that for certain.
VRR seems like a pretty obvious inclusion if they can make it work with the dock. That seems like the only real obstacle.
I actually think it benefits the handheld mode more, because everyone will be using the same VRR screen, while docked, everyone has a different TV, so might not be able to enjoy the feature docked anyways, while 100% of users can enjoy it portably.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
It might support 4K60, but I don't think switch will be fast enough to output 4K DLSS at 60fps, would need to do the work in ~5ms to have a hope, which only leaves ~11ms for the render, of course to do that with Ampere's tensor core setup, it would need to be faster than we are thinking.
kopite7kimi recently mentioned that Orin might use a Lovelace based GPU. So assuming that the next Nintendo Switch model's SoC's going to be based on Orin, but with heavy modifications, who knows?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like mini-LED on top of a large increase for the SoC seems unlikely. Unless the base model is getting replaced with another base hybrid with the same screen but this new chip, and we're also getting a more premium SKU with the same new chip but also a new mini-LED screen.

Seems too expensive otherwise.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like mini-LED on top of a large increase for the SoC seems unlikely. Unless the base model is getting replaced with another base hybrid with the same screen but this new chip, and we're also getting a more premium SKU with the same new chip but also a new mini-LED screen.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they use it as an excuse to bump the price up $30-$50 dollars even as the only option. The thing is never available at RRP when I look.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Actually it seems unlikely that Orin is LL since Nvidia and partners have said multiple times that it's Ampere.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The big elephant in the room is Doctre81's discovery of a job posting from Nvidia to support DLSS and other AI features on a new Nintendo console 6 months ago. A year after that job posting, Nintendo releases new hardware unable to do DLSS? with 3+ years left in Switch's life cycle, someone is being hired for a feature that Mariko cannot do...

Combined with Bloomberg's report of developers making their games 4K ready for new Nintendo hardware, it seems unlikely we will see anything but a new SoC with a big performance jump, but because we can't see the fire in all of this smoke, we can't be certain.

Dec 21, 2020
The problem that is the exact same for Wii in 2010 and Switch in 2021, is there are only so many people to sell to, they need to change the value of the device to get people to buy a second Switch, to upgrade, that is exactly what an upgraded model is suppose to achieve.
While true as it does what PlayStation has been able to do consistently for decades, and that is offer a favorable platform that ensures a consistent player base at the start, it still is not like the Wii. Those discussing what could and what could not be done with the Wii to get it to HD or not in 2010 is not relevant at all for the switch or the switch pro. The software is more agnostic with what it is based on, where the switch has a very competent partner for mobile that can provide the necessities to reach a higher position. That is, higher resolution and framerate or a more capable device. This in conjunction with the active playerbase, a single platform to put all focus to, a unique feature compared to the other platforms in portability and increasing third party support as the years go on do not really put the Switch and the Wii in the same place despite the same time.

Wii was already leaving orange and entering red. Switch has barely begun to cross to the orange. Wii suffered a lot more from software droughts as Nintendo was learning the ways of HD at the time for the Wii U. They already know the HD by now so they don't necessarily need to relearn it, if anything time for learning would be less for the next Pro-succ console hybrid thing. They can transition it smoothly, unlike the Wii to Wii U.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
What would be the point of a hdmi 2,1 converter if it lacks major features of hdmi 2,1?
It's not a guarantee that they go all the way to 2.1. 2.0 is enough for 4k60 without compromises. I'm also not sure how easily VRR translates between DP and HDMI, but that's purely out of ignorance for how (or if) the two differ, so that could easily be a non-issue.
Actually it seems unlikely that Orin is LL since Nvidia and partners have said multiple times that it's Ampere.
It could be "Ampere" the same way that TX1 is "Maxwell" but is actually kind of an in between version of the architecture.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're going to have to walk me through what he just said. I understand everything in the first sentence, but the 2nd one i'm lost on the terminology?

ADA = Lovelace
SEC8N = Samsung 8nm
?
Ada Lovelace

that's if you assume that a new chip the same size as Mariko is substantially more expensive. I don't it would be that much more expensive to put an additional MiniLED screen out of cost for consumers

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Ada Lovelace

that's if you assume that a new chip the same size as Mariko is substantially more expensive. I don't it would be that much more expensive to put an additional MiniLED screen out of cost for consumers
Or they really move to a 3 tier system:
Switch Brick (@ home)
Switch Lite
Switch

Have the first 2 be between 200-250€, and the classic switch 350-400€

Also: Lovelace sounds boring. I want a switch with Lovecraft tech!

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
The big elephant in the room is Doctre81's discovery of a job posting from Nvidia to support DLSS and other AI features on a new Nintendo console 6 months ago. A year after that job posting, Nintendo releases new hardware unable to do DLSS? with 3+ years left in Switch's life cycle, someone is being hired for a feature that Mariko cannot do...

That shouldnt be surprise in any case, we know that Nintendo (but Sony and MS also) is start planing next hardware moment they release new one,
and current Switch is almost 4 years old, its very safe to assume they are working on next gen Switch also alongside some revision/s for current Switch.
Nvidia already knows what Nintendo would want to use/have in their next gen Switch even they will use some future hardware thats not still maybe available.

Last edited:

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019

I believe that the mini-LED and other fancy features (e.g., larger storage and bluetooth audio) will be found on a premium model. If Nintendo is going with the smartphone model of iterative revisions, the mainstream model will be updated alongside the premium sans these fancy features—think of them as the regular iPhone vs. the iPhone Pro. They will share the same SoC to create a large enough install base for the developers to target the performance profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.