• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
I am almost at my limit for believing this rumour tbh... To the best of my knowledge, we have seen literally no corroboration from a reputable outlet like the WSJ that the Tegra X1 has ceased or will be ceasing production. With respect to our insiders in this thread, I'm sure the discontinuation was planned or discussed at some point but the fact that we have yet to see a single tangible piece of news on this is quite suspect. I feel like plans have changed significantly
Well, imagine the press and controversy storm that would happen if WSJ.etc commented on Mariko production stopping.

It could be catastrophic for selling the last of Switch stock or selling the new one or both.

Also not to mention a jab on Nintnedo's image to the consumer.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
What makes sense is the original Erista chip officially ending production last month. Because that was when Nvidia officially ended support for the Jetson TX1 boards.
Who knows for Mariko though, especially as Mariko probably only exists because of Nintendo.
I don't see why people working in unrelated electricals companies would be privvy to that contract if Nintendo is the only customer.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What makes sense is the original Erista chip officially ending production last month. Because that was when Nvidia officially ended support for the Jetson TX1 boards.
Who knows for Mariko though, especially as Mariko probably only exists because of Nintendo.
I don't see why people working in unrelated electricals companies would be privvy to that contract if Nintendo is the only customer.

Isn't Mariko in a number of Jetson products too? So Nvidia is also a customer.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
Lol at people thinking BotW2, a game made with the Switch in mind, will look worse than BotWon the Wii U. For sure it'll be greatly improved for the Pro, which doesn't mean it'll look bad on the OG and Lite. Safest prediction is it being dynamic 900p30 on the OG just like the original was. Also, having better lighting, textures and shadows as it's being made for the Switch from the ground up(watch the GameXplain graphical analysis).

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
That's not necessarily how supply chains work. Production on Erista chips could have ended ages ago and Nvidia has been sitting on the last chips/TX1 boards in their inventory for months, for all we know. They announced the end of support because they've finally sold out. Of course, I'm just talking about the possibilities. You could still be correct (I'm all ears if you have a source that suggests so).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the note of Splatoon 3, am I mistaken or is this the first one to actually be designed for the Switch in mind at the onset?

Or did Splatoon 2 start development on the Switch rather than the Wii U.
Splatoon 2 was always intended for the Switch. Might have had really early roots on Wii U hardware due to timing and engine, but the Switch was where they wanted to end up.

Last edited:

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Splatoon was always intended for the Switch. Might have had really early roots on Wii U hardware due to timing and engine, but the Switch was where they wanted to end up.
You mean Splatoon 2 was always intended for the Switch. Splatoon 1 was always a Wii U game from the beginning (it began development in 2013, I believe). Splatoon 2 would have begun development on the Switch back in 2015. It's engine is pretty significantly upgraded over the Wii U one and bears more in common with EAD's other Switch exclusives than any of their Wii U games.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these shots from Splatoon 3 really don't look like they were captured on the Switch -

IgNstpy.png

KWifMRc.png

They just look way too clean and crisp for the current model.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
Some of these shots from Splatoon 3 really don't look like they were captured on the Switch -

IgNstpy.png

KWifMRc.png

They just look way too clean and crisp for the current model.
Their Screenshot/Photo mode could be like Bowser's Fury's and it cranks up detail.etc at the cost of FPS, which we wouldn't notice at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
That's not necessarily how supply chains work. Production on Erista chips could have ended ages ago and Nvidia has been sitting on the last chips/TX1 boards in their inventory for months, for all we know. They announced the end of support because they've finally sold out. Of course, I'm just talking about the possibilities. You could still be correct (I'm all ears if you have a source that suggests so).
I don't have a source, and I am not saying they are regularly pumping them out otherwise, it's just that all the 16/12nm boards have support dates listed 4+ years in the future, rather than months.

developer.nvidia.com

Jetson Product Lifecycle

So when there's a guy with access to an industry parts catalog telling people that TX1 is ending in January, isn't the most likeliest explanation that this is the TX1 that is ending in January, rather than Mariko?

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about unannounced first party? And presumably not Pokémon because that's too obvious.
yeah, though it might have been delayed... I'm also possibly over reacting after the direct today, just sounds like botw's sequel did slip to 2022 after all from their wording, however could just be their reluctance to talk about Zelda anniversary until the Mario anniversary finishes.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 3 announcement for 2022 makes it obvious we shouldn't expect a new Switch for another 4 to 5 years. The pro will be a iterative sequel to Switch and the closest thing we will get in terms of a next gen Switch for the next 5 years.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, though it might have been delayed... I'm also possibly over reacting after the direct today, just sounds like botw's sequel did slip to 2022 after all from their wording, however could just be their reluctance to talk about Zelda anniversary until the Mario anniversary finishes.
Do you think it's possible the BotW sequel is on track for 2021, but it's close enough that they're uncertain if it'll stay on track? Because if they don't know when they're releasing that, they can't really decide when to best release the Wii U ports either, and suddenly the lack of Zelda anniversary stuff makes a lot of sense.

Oct 26, 2017
There's some people implying more ports will be announced in a few months, so that could mean a Zelda direct in April or May. The AoC DLC timing is what throws off a 2021 release for me.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I might be over reacting to yesterday's direct, but covid delayed some games that were coming this year into next... if botw's sequel is delayed into next year, the new hardware might be too... I think it makes sense to release it this fall though, new hardware is new hardware and plenty of games that are already out could use a performance boost. Anyways, we will have to see, it's very early in the year, so trying to guess without knowing the lineup for this year is sort of pointless.
Do you think it's possible the BotW sequel is on track for 2021, but it's close enough that they're uncertain if it'll stay on track? Because if they don't know when they're releasing that, they can't really decide when to best release the Wii U ports either, and suddenly the lack of Zelda anniversary stuff makes a lot of sense.
Skyward Sword HD coming in July indicates to me that more Zelda is coming this year, and in the direct, he did say that the sequel was progressing smoothly, so it could just be a small delay into the holidays... Or I'm still over reacting and there is no delay... I did hear that they wanted to put out 2 trailers this year for the sequel before its release, I thought one was going to be in this direct, but maybe one is in an anniversary announcement, and another is around E3 time (not that I know the timing of an announcement mind you, just saying 2 separate events).
There's some people implying more ports will be announced in a few months, so that could mean a Zelda direct in April or May. The AoC DLC timing is what throws off a 2021 release for me.
yeah like I mention above, Skyward Sword in July makes me think botw's sequel is probably still this year, but I did mention it slipped into FY (I think I did so in this thread, but definitely on Nintendoera), anyways it's really early in the year to know. I think hardware could definitely launch this fall without botw's sequel this year, there are other games that could use the performance uplift definitely.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword HD coming in July indicates to me that more Zelda is coming this year, and in the direct, he did say that the sequel was progressing smoothly, so it could just be a small delay into the holidays... Or I'm still over reacting and there is no delay... I did hear that they wanted to put out 2 trailers this year for the sequel before its release, I thought one was going to be in this direct, but maybe one is in an anniversary announcement, and another is around E3 time (not that I know the timing of an announcement mind you, just saying 2 separate events).
Nintendo's established schedule for Directs in the Switch era pre-Covid was late winter, June, early fall. There's still time for Zelda trailers in June and September for a mid-November release, which is where I had it pegged since COVID.

In fact, I'm not shocked at all it wasn't shown here if two trailers is the plan. They'll definitely have one in the summer accompanied by Treehouse Live, and it'd be really weird to not have a trailer for it in a presentation two months before release.

Oct 26, 2017
yeah like I mention above, Skyward Sword in July makes me think botw's sequel is probably still this year, but I did mention it slipped into FY (I think I did so in this thread, but definitely on Nintendoera), anyways it's really early in the year to know. I think hardware could definitely launch this fall without botw's sequel this year, there are other games that could use the performance uplift definitely.

From things you've said before I'm guessing MK9, which.. is a kind of awkward product when MK8 is selling better each year. But I've always said that if it comes to Switch, it'll be for a revision, and possibly quite a different design to stand apart.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
From things you've said before I'm guessing MK9, which.. is a kind of awkward product when MK8 is selling better each year. But I've always said that if it comes to Switch, it'll be for a revision, and possibly quite a different design to stand apart.
I'll just say that 10K leaked Mario Kart 9 is coming this year in nintendoera (he isn't my source for anything, but yeah MK9 is suppose to come this holiday but might be delayed), It will easily sell 20M copies by the end of the FY if it comes out this holiday, and MK8 won't stop selling with MK9 out... MKWii still sold 5 Million+ copies after MK8 released.

Apr 11, 2020
I'll just say that 10K leaked Mario Kart 9 is coming this year in nintendoera (he isn't my source for anything, but yeah MK9 is suppose to come this holiday but might be delayed), It will easily sell 20M copies by the end of the FY if it comes out this holiday, and MK8 won't stop selling with MK9 out... MKWii still sold 5 Million+ copies after MK8 released.
MK9, BOTW2, Splatoon 3... We can be sure that a new model will be released just before these 3 games. This is the 2nd phase of the Nintendo Gaming Universe.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I think the next Mario Kart is going to move into Smash territory and be based around all Nintendo's properties now. We already saw the beginnings of it with the DLC. Hopefully it'll be in 4K on Switch Pro!

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
MK9, BOTW2, Splatoon 3... We can be sure that a new model will be released just before these 3 games. This is the 2nd phase of the Nintendo Gaming Universe.
Yeah, so hopefully botw2 is still this year, MK9 could still come in December and sell 20M by the end of march easily... We really have no idea about the second half, but Splatoon 3 was delayed into next year, heard a while back it was 2021 for that title, so covid has probably delayed it.

Apr 11, 2020
On top of that, there were no news concerning NSO. I would be tempted to say that the new model was slated just for the release of MHR that's was positioned in march 2021 after the delay of BOTW2. In any case, E3 might be one of the most important direct since January 2017. A new model, BOTW2, Splatoon 3 and MK9. The 3 biggest IP outside of Mario that already got a release in the form of SM3DW+BF and AC.

Apr 11, 2020
What possible chip/s are expected for revision?
From the less powerful to the most powerful:
- Tegra X1++ on 8 nm ~600GFLOPs
- Unknown SOC on 8 nm ~600-900GFLOPs
- Tegra Orin S on 8 nm ~600-1600GFLOPs
- Unknown SOC on 7 nm ~900-1600GFLOPs

8 nm seems to be a lock and ~600-900GFLOPs seems to be the conservative sweet spot. Even if we get the full Orin S, it may be downclocked to less than 1TFLOP. I don't see Nintendo pushing a 600-700GFLOPs model to 2022.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
From the less powerful to the most powerful:
- Tegra X1++ on 8 nm ~600GFLOPs
- Unknown SOC on 8 nm ~600-900GFLOPs
- Tegra Orin S on 8 nm ~600-1600GFLOPs
- Unknown SOC on 7 nm ~900-1600GFLOPs

8 nm seems to be a lock and ~600-900GFLOPs seems to be the conservative sweet spot. Even if we get the full Orin S, it may be downclocked to less than 1TFLOP. I don't see Nintendo pushing a 600-700GFLOPs model to 2022.

Tnx, and I agree with more conservative sweet spot and 8nm.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
So just to sort of update people reading the thread. New model is still very much tied to BotW's sequel, still possible for this year but is internally moved to FY 2022, meaning the new model might slide into early next year (I think that is a mistake because the hardware would sell regardless). Splatoon 3 was delayed into next year, and MK9 was leaked by 10K, which was the game I heard was coming this holiday that I've mentioned a few times.

Devkits have only recently gone out to 3rd parties is my understanding, and I've actually just seen something that is supposedly from one of those devkits that has a Switch game running at 1440p, which is higher than the Switch outputs. It isn't a screen shot of the game, but a settings profile that shows the Switch platform and 1440p as the resolution, it is a 3rd profile outside of portable and docked, so think of it as docked pro. It doesn't detail other profiles, but likely a portable pro profile exists as well...

A78 and Ampere are both being shared, and Samsung is an open secret for the fab production from at least the sources I'm talking to... Well, thats what I've heard anyways, there is a lot of interesting stuff that will start leaking over the next couple months, I just hope the model comes this fall and they don't wait until next year to get a perfect lineup together. Switch needs the boost of new hardware to maintain momentum this year.
Tnx, and I agree with more conservative sweet spot and 8nm.
Their wrong. The new device is much more powerful than the current one.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
My estimations are based on Tegra X1+ max clocks (1200MHz). I would expect any better chip to be, at least, as much powerful as Mariko max perf on 12 nm (614 GFLOPs).
yeah, considering the game that was tested in the profile I'm talking about being 1440p, and likely 720p docked on Switch, it's more in the 3-4 times range before DLSS... I don't believe the profile is using DLSS in this part of the settings that is being shown.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So just to sort of update people reading the thread. New model is still very much tied to BotW's sequel, still possible for this year but is internally moved to FY 2022, meaning the new model might slide into early next year (I think that is a mistake because the hardware would sell regardless). Splatoon 3 was delayed into next year, and MK9 was leaked by 10K, which was the game I heard was coming this holiday that I've mentioned a few times.

Devkits have only recently gone out to 3rd parties is my understanding, and I've actually just seen something that is supposedly from one of those devkits that has a Switch game running at 1440p, which is higher than the Switch outputs. It isn't a screen shot of the game, but a settings profile that shows the Switch platform and 1440p as the resolution, it is a 3rd profile outside of portable and docked, so think of it as docked pro. It doesn't detail other profiles, but likely a portable pro profile exists as well...

A78 and Ampere are both being shared, and Samsung is an open secret for the fab production from at least the sources I'm talking to... Well, thats what I've heard anyways, there is a lot of interesting stuff that will start leaking over the next couple months, I just hope the model comes this fall and they don't wait until next year to get a perfect lineup together. Switch needs the boost of new hardware to maintain momentum this year.
Thanks for the summary. Excited that Mario Kart is coming down the pipeline. Hopefully Switch Pro still makes H2 of the calendar year.

Dec 21, 2020

That would mean it's around ~1TFLOP min, no? For docked anyway.

If it is putting switch 1080p games at 1440p, it would need roughly 1TFLOP compared to the docked potential of the switch is. From 393GFLOPs Maxwell to 1TFLOP Ampere to bring a 1080p image to 1440p.

I could be reading it wrong.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
That would mean it's around ~1TFLOP min, no? For docked anyway.

If it is putting switch 1080p games at 1440p, it would need roughly 1TFLOP compared to the docked potential of the switch is. From 393GFLOPs Maxwell to 1TFLOP Ampere to bring a 1080p image to 1440p.

I could be reading it wrong.
the game is 720p on Switch, this model is 3 or 4 times more powerful without DLSS.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Zombie is very much keeping the hype train going

MK9/Splatoon 3/BOTW 2/Xenoblade 3 all on a Switch pro is too juicy for me

Status
Not open for further replies.