Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are things in tech in your daily life that you are absolutely flabbergasted isn't a readily available standard option. Things that make you say, "Wait, what I can't do that?" I say readily available because oftentimes there are extensions or workarounds but it just seems weird it's such a hassle for such a simple thing. However, maybe there is a simple way to do it and so hopefully by complaining here this thread can also work to elucidate those methods we did not know existed.

For me, it's the fact that iPhones don't seem to have an option to hide names when the new message notification pops up. There are some people that I'd rather my housemates know I'm texting and short of turning off all notifications for messages or changing the names, there doesn't seem to be any option to make a generic "You got a new message".

Also accidentally closing all tabs on Google Chrome. I believe in both Firefox and the old Internet Explorer there was always an extra dialogue box that asked if you actually wanted to close the whole damn window with all the tabs. I have no idea why I would need to download an extra extension for this to happen, it seems so basic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You just right click on your current tab, choose "close all other tabs" and then finally click the X on the last remaining tab?

I meant accidentally closing all tabs. There have been countless times I accidentally click on the top right corner for whatever reason and it closes the whole window with like 10 tabs. I've edited my post for clarity.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
A big one for me is the ability to use your phone's video camera while it is also playing audio. Even if your audio is playing through another device via Bluetooth, the iPhone camera will still mute any audio when you initiate recording.

It must do this under the assumption you do not want music you are playing in the video you are recording, which is basically never true. If I didn't want the audio playing in the video I'm recording, I would mute the audio before recording. But it's crazy that if you have Christmas music playing and you want to record your baby opening a present it would cease the music you are playing. Or in the age of social media, you cannot have music playing in the background of a video you are recording. This is ridiculous.

I had to download some niche app called WhileYouRec that allows you to record video without ending the audio you're playing.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Turbo buttons on controllers. Not all of us are physically cable of button mashing you know

Nov 8, 2017
Windows 10 still not letting me set the time correctly. I've got my BIOS set to GMT (as it should be), and Windows is set to my timezone, but the time it shows is two hours wrong (the time is correct when booted in Linux on the same PC, so it's definitely a fault in Windows).

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Turbo buttons on controllers. Not all of us are physically cable of button mashing you know
Any time there is an opportunity to change a "press rapidly" to a "press and hold" I switch it immediately. I hate rapidly pressing anything to do anything. For me it's just a preference but I am sure it is way more important to people with an accessibility concern.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Windows 10 still not letting me set the time correctly. I've got my BIOS set to GMT (as it should be), and Windows is set to my timezone, but the time it shows is two hours wrong (the time is correct when booted in Linux on the same PC, so it's definitely a fault in Windows).

I once had this bug on windows where it would always have the wrong hour by single hour offsets. If it was an hour ahead, i would take it an hour down to correct it, but on the next boot it would be one hour under, and if i corrected it, it would be one hour ahead on the next boot, etc. etc., it was pretty nutty.

OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A big one for me is the ability to use your phone's video camera while it is also playing audio. Even if your audio is playing through another device via Bluetooth, the iPhone camera will still mute any audio when you initiate recording.

It must do this under the assumption you do not want music you are playing in the video you are recording, which is basically never true. If I didn't want the audio playing in the video I'm recording, I would mute the audio before recording. But it's crazy that if you have Christmas music playing and you want to record your baby opening a present it would cease the music you are playing. Or in the age of social media, you cannot have music playing in the background of a video you are recording. This is ridiculous.

I had to download some niche app called WhileYouRec that allows you to record video without ending the audio you're playing.

Wow thank you for the app, this has also been an annoying issue for me too.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Any time there is an opportunity to change a "press rapidly" to a "press and hold" I switch it immediately. I hate rapidly pressing anything to do anything. For me it's just a preference but I am sure it is way more important to people with an accessibility concern.
My thumb locks up in regular combat let alone qtes

Nov 18, 2020
How Windows 10 doesn't allow you to display seconds on the system taskbar lock by default or change the default size of the clock, and how you need to download a separate third-party program (T-Clock) to enable this basic functionality.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Not being able to turn off confirmations, especially in video games. "Are you sure you want to...?" Yes I'm sure, that's why I fucking clicked it. I intentionally click things far, far more often than I accidentally do so. I'm willing to take my chances, so let me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah what's that all about? Feels like most of America has only just got used to the idea of chip and pin.

Yeah we don't have pin though. Contactless chip is pretty common now around me, although like 95% of the time I use my phone whenever I can. I kinda doubt the pin part of chip and pin will ever be implemented.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I just can't find it, but I'm so tired of apple bothering me about my cloud storage being full and asking me if I want to pay for more. I know why they do it, and it really irritates me that I can't turn those notifications off permanently.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
For me, it's the fact that iPhones don't seem to have an option to hide names when the new message notification pops up. There are some people that I'd rather my housemates know I'm texting and short of turning off all notifications for messages or changing the names, there doesn't seem to be any option to make a generic "You got a new message".
Settings -> Notifications -> Show Previews ->
You can set it to off, or When Unlocked, so if you have a Face ID phone it'll show you details when you pick up your phone but will just say "X new messages" if someone else peeks at your Lock Screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah what's that all about? Feels like most of America has only just got used to the idea of chip and pin.
I've actually survived on Apple Wallet for the past two weeks because everywhere I shop has implemented it: Safeway, Trader Joe's, Costco, Target, and ethnic grocery stores (Chinese, Mexican, Arab). Thankfully Walmart and Kroger aren't near here so I don't have to deal with their bs lol.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Paddles on all controllers. There still isn't a nice cheap add-on that works, except for that device that Sony put out but had little stock for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Apple laptops and iPads not being able to set a Wi-Fi connection as metered (like a mobile phone hotspot) and restrict data usage.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I use fingerprint on both my android phone and ipad. Both of them require me to enter the password periodically to be able to use the fingerprint scanner.

That's fine, but it should give me a period of a day or two where I can still use fingerprint to open the phone. As of now, it just comes randomly out of nowhere and it's generally in the middle of when I want to open the phone quickly. Super annoying.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Quick management of bluetooth connections. I have a bluetooth speaker in my living room and a different one in my kitchen. Why do I have to go into the goddanm settings of my iphone or Windows laptop just to switch between them? Give me a goddamn quick menu of all available devices, allowing me to toggle them on or off.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Also, why do you need some 3rd party paid software just to sync your goddamn Outlook profile to whatever device you've added it to? Everything else in Outlook syncs, quick steps etc, but not signatures?

God DAMN.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
A headset for work-from-home. So many colleagues shouting into their shitty laptop mics, TV noise blaring in the background. It could tolerate it early one, but nine months later I'm done with those people.

Dec 4, 2017
Quick management of bluetooth connections. I have a bluetooth speaker in my living room and a different one in my kitchen. Why do I have to go into the goddanm settings of my iphone or Windows laptop just to switch between them? Give me a goddamn quick menu of all available devices, allowing me to toggle them on or off.
This. It's annyoing when I want to quickly switch my headset between my tablet, phone and PC. I have to dig around in the settings to tell one device to stop listening to it, or turn off Bluetooth completely.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
The fact that 5 years old ultrabooks often have more port options than the newer one. Yeah, I get that companies and people want even flatter ultrabooks, but to me it seems they often don't even try. Now ironically the mid-level laptops are often better in this regard and the better overall choice if you want a practical laptop.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
iOS not letting me turn off WiFi from the quick menu anymore. It only temporarily disables it now and then it randomly keeps trying to connect to networks. Now to fully turn WiFi off I need to go into settings.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm always annoyed when streaming apps don't have the ability to turn off auto-play. I like falling asleep watching stuff, and don't want my phone playing stuff all night.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we don't have pin though. Contactless chip is pretty common now around me, although like 95% of the time I use my phone whenever I can. I kinda doubt the pin part of chip and pin will ever be implemented.
Ive used it, but that was all in CA. I usually make at least one trip a year, and one year I went from always signing on a screen to being able to input my PIN.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I meant accidentally closing all tabs. There have been countless times I accidentally click on the top right corner for whatever reason and it closes the whole window with like 10 tabs. I've edited my post for clarity.

You can set it so it saves your last session. So if you close chrome, then open it again, all the tabs will be saved. That's what I do. So if I want to close tabs I close each one separately.

Can't you just manually set the time? That's what I do, and I don't have to worry about Windows changing it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Also accidentally closing all tabs on Google Chrome. I believe in both Firefox and the old Internet Explorer there was always an extra dialogue box that asked if you actually wanted to close the whole damn window with all the tabs.
If you only use one open window for Chrome, then turn on the "continue where you left off" option on the "On startup" section of the settings menu in Chrome.

If you use multiple windows and you accidentally close one, Ctrl+Shift+T will undo that. It's the default shortcut for undoing a close tab, but it also works for entire closed Chrome windows.

OP
OP
Mariolee

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can set it so it saves your last session. So if you close chrome, then open it again, all the tabs will be saved. That's what I do. So if I want to close tabs I close each one separately.
If you only use one open window for Chrome, then turn on the "continue where you left off" option on the "On startup" section of the settings menu in Chrome.

If you use multiple windows and you accidentally close one, Ctrl+Shift+T will undo that. It's the default shortcut for undoing a close tab, but it also works for entire closed Chrome windows.

Yeah I know about these already, I just think it's annoying to have to reopen tabs like that when I didn't mean to close the window when this would all be avoided if they just had a warning box I could toggle on before I close the window on accident. It's ridiculous.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
macos doesn't have system wide custom UI scaling, pain in the ass whenever I use external monitor.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
iOS not letting me turn off WiFi from the quick menu anymore. It only temporarily disables it now and then it randomly keeps trying to connect to networks. Now to fully turn WiFi off I need to go into settings.
I haven't had the use for it in ages, but it's staggering that long press now takes you to wifi setting rather than turn it off as it did when they first introduced that temporary thing.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
RFID chips in my fingers.

A watch and notification screen visible in the back of my right hand.

Easily replaceable enhanced limbs.

Downloadable skill packages into my Brian...

The list goes on.