• Batman Arkham Origins

Votes: 94 10.9%
  • Batman Arkham Knight

Votes: 133 15.5%

• Total voters

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
-All the side villains and quests are some of the best in the series (especially after the Season of Infamy DLC). Its a shame that these 4 new side quests werent in the game at launch, because they add a TON of additional things to do inbetween the lackluster Main Story and its numerous Tank battles.

While I agree with the DLC side-missions being good, the ones included with the base game were pretty terrible. Most of the villains' side-missions consist of you doing the exact same thing four times. Penguin: Follow car to a hideout, beat up thugs. Two-Face: Stop thugs from robbing a bank. Firefly: Chase him around the city until he runs out of gas. Man-Bat: Jump on his back and punch him until he flies away.

Mechanically, Arkham Knight is the best in the series but the side-missions were just half-assed. I wasn't a fan of how they handled the Red Hood storyline either.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Tank battles killed me , when ever there is Batmobile mission , i will take a break and comeback after i finish any other games . still haven't finish it haha

i love the joker interaction , my favorite character done right. ( since he is dead )

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game was largely boring and tired but man...MAN the tank stuff made me hype as fuck for a Judge Dredd game from Rocksteady

too bad that has about as much chance of happening as me visiting alpha centauri lol

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I beat the game then traded it in and I never trade games. I enjoyed it but the driving and some of the tank fights were too much for me, even with all that I did every side mission and was close to getting 100%.

I may be misremembering but I thought I assumed I did all the Riddler stuff then it was revealed there was a ton more to do.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
If you didn't try to get the "real ending" the game was amazing, it's when your forced to finish every tank side mission and find every joker trophy that it starts to become a bore.

I loved the detective rewind stuff to find clues , wish it had more of that .

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I liked everything about the game except for the city itself. It just felt so empty and lifeless. Traversing the city becomes a chore because I don't care a bit about the surroundings.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
While I agree with the DLC side-missions being good, the ones included with the base game were pretty terrible. Most of the villains' side-missions consist of you doing the exact same thing four times. Penguin: Follow car to a hideout, beat up thugs. Two-Face: Stop thugs from robbing a bank. Firefly: Chase him around the city until he runs out of gas. Man-Bat: Jump on his back and punch him until he flies away.

Mechanically, Arkham Knight is the best in the series but the side-missions were just half-assed. I wasn't a fan of how they handled the Red Hood storyline either.

The Man-Bat and Firefly stuff were too simple and could've been more engaging somehow, but the I was cool with the Penguin and Two-Face stuff. The gimmick of being able to take out dudes as loudly as you want because of the bank sirens was fun, and so were the team-up fights with Nightwing. They felt like challenge maps with bits of story and dialogue mixed in. Some additions and tweaks to their structure would've gone a long way in making them more substantial.

Same with the Red Hood storyline—had they started that earlier in the game (especially since everyone figures it out real early on), they could've had an actual arc for that character. Everyone knows who the Red Hood must be from the start of that Under the Red Hood movie, but it still has a compelling, emotional story by exploring the fallout of Batman learning who Red Hood is, and trying to stop him. Arkham Knight stalls that story for so long, then rushes through that interesting period of conflict.

and they could've allowed Batman to figure it out and not look like a doofus. So many people in the Batman universe come back from the dead through technology/magic, or manage to survive apparent death ... he shouldn't known

Yeaahhh...i got sick of him after asylum and I dont get the obsession with him.

They actually make better use of Joker in Arkham Knight. I expected to be tired of the character, but they actually live up to the insanity aspect of the series' namesake.

YoEssay

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's crazy hearing about the bad controls all these years later. I always saw the debate was 50/50, but I was definitely one of the ones who saw NO problem with them whatsoever.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy hearing about the bad controls all these years later. I always saw the debate was 50/50, but I was definitely one of the ones who saw NO problem with them whatsoever.

None of these games had bad controls, and they're some of the most impressively mapped-to-a-gamepad controls I've experienced.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
It has some of the best openworld traversal in any game, love doing stuff like this

AK15-2.gif

AK12dff5.gif

AK8-2.gif

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Was the first Arkham game I played for more than just an hour and one of my first PS4 games. Really liked it. Gorgeous game. Tank really didn't bother me TOO much the way it seems to have universally bothered everyone else. I hated the couple of puzzles involving the tank...but the combat was really fun!

What's the best way for me to go back and play Asylum and City? I have them both free via Plus on my PS3, but are the PS4 remasters fixed up now and worth going with instead?

Also, if I have the full digital deluxe edition of Arkham Knight, does that I mean I have access to all the DLC that came out afterward for it?

Congo Jack

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Apple Island
Asylum>City>Origins>Knight

The side villains were poorly handled, Not a single memorable boss fight, the story of the Arkham Knight was a letdown, and it felt as if actual detective work/stealth was put to the back burner in favor of tank battles (which became boring fast). I love the Arkham series, but Knight is easily my least favorite game.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've always loved Arkham Knight. One of my favourite open-worlds, and still one of my favourite games this gen in terms of visuals.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game. It's one of my favorite of all time. I get the criticisms of the Batmobile but the way it handles and crashes through the world is just a tone of fun to me.

I also love the little touches like the GCPD filling up with guys, or the cop who's working for Riddler you can spot with the Predator vision. And the way the new part of the city is becoming the Batman Beyond Gotham is gorgeous.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in all the positivity for the DLC in this thread. I thought it was pretty badly received at the time? I remember being really irritated at the lack of challenge maps in the base game. Going back to those with their creative challenges, like pulling three dudes off a ledge at once, or saving one particular weakling dude for last after taking out his heavily armed buddies, was great.

Anyway, so I look on PSN at the DLC that's available, and it's a mess. Say I want to play the game through again, want to try the extra side missions in the actual game, don't care about post-game story expansions, but am interested in extra challenge maps, what DLC should I be looking at?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in all the positivity for the DLC in this thread. I thought it was pretty badly received at the time? I remember being really irritated at the lack of challenge maps in the base game. Going back to those with their creative challenges, like pulling three dudes off a ledge at once, or saving one particular weakling dude for last after taking out his heavily armed buddies, was great.

Anyway, so I look on PSN at the DLC that's available, and it's a mess. Say I want to play the game through again, want to try the extra side missions in the actual game, don't care about post-game story expansions, but am interested in extra challenge maps, what DLC should I be looking at?

The cost of the DLC ($40) was what garnered criticism. Everything in it good or inoffensive—all those batsuit and batmobile skins are cool, extra challenge maps are welcome, etc.—but them selling it all with only little descriptions seemed wild at the time. If they did a breakdown of cost, it would probably make sense, but not everyone wanted everything in that DLC.

The "Season of Infamy" included the extra side missions which are just incorporated into the main game. The challenge maps are in the "Crime Fighter Challenge Packs." I think there are 5.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
City is still the GOAT but they're all fantastic. Except Origins... not sure about that since I haven't played it.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only arkham game I didn't finish. Absolutely hated this, too much batmobile. I'm surprised to see Origins as least favorite (atm), I personally thought it was the 2nd best after Asylum (Didn't like city too much)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't huge on the tank stuff. City, Asylum, and to a lesser degree Origins, all worked because the focus was on combat and stealth. Going through a room full of guys with guns and whatnot without them even realizing I'm there is one of the best feelings in gaming for me, the tank stuff took away from that and made the game feel more like a shooter. It also made the world feel less dense than in City or Origins, which were things I loved about those games.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I played them all and I think Origins was the best.I liked the Gotham in a holiday blizzard setting, and how Batman was a rookie or new threat to the super villains.

It sucks that both Origins and Blackgate aren't up as remasters or backwards compatible.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
The cost of the DLC ($40) was what garnered criticism. Everything in it good or inoffensive—all those batsuit and batmobile skins are cool, extra challenge maps are welcome, etc.—but them selling it all with only little descriptions seemed wild at the time. If they did a breakdown of cost, it would probably make sense, but not everyone wanted everything in that DLC.

The "Season of Infamy" included the extra side missions which are just incorporated into the main game. The challenge maps are in the "Crime Fighter Challenge Packs." I think there are 5.

Thanks. The season pass is 9.99 on steam right now, guess I'll wait for PSN to match that.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Granted I didn't play the Seasons of Infamy DLC, but Knight was probably the most disappointing game of the last 15 years for me. All I needed was Arkham City but bigger and better, and instead I got a tank combat game, dogshit Riddler races (wtf?), and a reworking of the Jason Todd story that was too inside baseball for non-comic fans and too blatantly obvious for comic fans.

City is the best in the series for my money, but there are very, very strong arguments for Asylum belonging on top and I respect that choice, too. Origins' broken combat is annoying but the story is the best of the four and while it reuses a lot of City's assets, at least it feels like Batman game. Even thinking about Knight leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to this day. Damn shame.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I played them all and I think Origins was the best.I liked the Gotham in a holiday blizzard setting, and how Batman was a rookie or new threat to the super villains.

It sucks that both Origins and Blackgate aren't up as remasters or backwards compatible.
If Origins wasn't as janky on PC I'd have liked it better. It's detective mode change (crime scene recreation) is amazing and totally perfect for side-quests. I really wish that Knight had just been the best parts of Origins and City and nothing else.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Origins wasn't as janky on PC I'd have liked it better. It's detective mode change (crime scene recreation) is amazing and totally perfect for side-quests. I really wish that Knight had just been the best parts of Origins and City and nothing else.

Yeah. It was game breaking bad at one point too. Batman got stuck hanging off one of the vents you needed to enter until the game was patched.

Still nothing compared to Knight's issues on PC. Totally broken performance. As I said a few pages back, I had to buy the game on Xbox to play it completely through, what I didn't say is that I also have 3 different gaming PCs that it wouldn't run properly on. All the hype around Knight was justifiable. It was going to come to Steam OS, it had the Batmobile. It looked awesome... it wasn't ready, and you could buy it for 12 bucks near launch because of how bad it was.

I also don't like how Origins wasn't available as games on demand on Xbox. I would have bought it digitally there too, like on Steam, just for the achievements. I don't buy physical discs anymore.

OP
OP
Vic_Viper

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Origins did nail the detective aspect of Batman. Was really glad to see those detective mode improvements make their way into Arkham Knight, but I feel like they still werent used as well as they were in Origins.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
It's a great game, but a lot of people get hung up on the Bat-Tank. Personally, I actually like it but there's just too much. It's weird to have something you kind of like in a game be one of the main things that drags the game down.

I do need to get back into it and get some of the DLC that dropped after I had completely beaten the game.

EDIT: And yeah, the main character is easy to figure out, but honestly I still like the direction they went with him and how their take on his story arc is different than the comics.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phenomenal game, and one of the best video game trilogies of all time imo. Playing it on PC after all the issues were fixed was a fantastic experience and I did not have nearly as bad of an issue with the bat tank as most people have. It only over-stayed its welcome when going for the 100% completion.

Really enjoyed the story too, what they done with the Joker was very entertaining.

Arkham City is my favourite of the 3.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Game still is beautiful. I didn't like it that much, it felt bloated and unfocussed. I cant stand the combat anymore. Riddler stuff was annoying. Its a shame, because it did a lot of stuff right. But its like they had to cramp too much stuff into the game.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never really understood the Bat Tank hate.

Yes, in the main campaign it was overused to justify the increasing odds Bruce faced.

However, outside of the main campaign, it was avoidable 85% of the time. Only a couple of side quest campaigns demanded it.

To boot, traversing the city as the bat became faster than the batmobile once you had a couple of upgrades.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Interesting to hear that the Season of Infamy dlc stuff was good. I think I only played the Red Hood and Harley Quinn pre-order DLC, and never stuck around for all the rest. Looking back, they really we're pumping out a lot of DLC and it was hard to keep up, so I just told myself I'd get it all later, but never did.

Batmobile segments definitely were out of place a lot of the time. Like, the Riddler races were way too gamey and didn't fit into the world, and too many of the side missions forced it upon you too (finding all those bombs IIRC, not to mention boss fights like Firefly and Deathstroke).

Unlike most though, I LOVE collecting all the Riddler trophies. Most of them had unique puzzles to go along with them or forced you to find DC universe Easter Eggs. The easter Eggs were always so good in these games, and I loved finding nods to other Batman heroes and villains everywhere.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Arkham Knight released at a time when I was burnt out from video games. Buying a 4K TV has encouraged me to go back and play older games, like Max Payne 3 and Fallout 4. My Xbox One X has also encouraged me to finish Red Dead Redemption and Gears 4.

When I get a new computer, I'm going to play Batman Arkham Knight in 4K and I'm gonna love it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I actually remember really enjoying it. I refunded my PC copy and had ended up getting it on PS4 though.

The only thing I remember genuinely dissapointing me was the DeathStroke APC boss fight... What in the world.

Who wants to fight DeathStroke in a damn batmobile. I wanted a display of martial prowess!