Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe Wal Mart is better on this issue than Target.

I kind of feel validated I never shop there anyway.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
W7rB8ed.gif

Jan 23, 2024
One of the dangers of corporate "Pride" isn't just the commodification of the movement, it's that the performative nature of these things sets up an easy layup for shitty conservatives to topple and help them feel emboldened. It's why corporate Pride is less than useless, it can actually harm the movement.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Surely this clear act of forced censorship by a mob of people will get the Freedom of Speech Above All Else people all riled up, right? We're going to get a bunch of big gamers on twitter starting a petition any day soon, right?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm sure this hasn't taught the freaks that throwing shit fits gets them what they want. Excellent work, Target.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
Its capitalism in capitalism out

They did it because they thought it could make more money

They are stopping it because they think that can make more money

I agree with people who side eye commercializing pride

Businesses, especially publicly traded ones, are not our friends or allies and will only stand by us for as long as it makes them money to do so

Zanaffar

Oct 27, 2017
b38.jpg

Me every time one of theses stories happen.
It shouldn't be this hard to say fuck you to bigotry but here we are.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
"All stores", but then the next paragraph says "select stores" (and online). It can't be all and select.

Bad article aside it shouldn't be taken away anywhere.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Well that's fucking disappointing.

I do understand if employees at the stores had to deal with pieces of shit giving them a hard time, but this is weak shit from the top brass at corp.

May 21, 2018
Surely this clear act of forced censorship by a mob of people will get the Freedom of Speech Above All Else people all riled up, right? We're going to get a bunch of big gamers on twitter starting a petition any day soon, right?

I know you mean that sarcastically, but yeah these people are going to celebrate this "cancelling". Because words and terms have no value to them outside of being weapons to use against their perceived enemies. Freedom of speech has always meant something else to them.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One of the dangers of corporate "Pride" isn't just the commodification of the movement, it's that the performative nature of these things sets up an easy layup for shitty conservatives to topple and help them feel emboldened. It's why corporate Pride is less than useless, it can actually harm the movement.
Exactly. You cannot trust corporations to hold down any consistent social ideology, because the moment fascism ramps up, they will be the first to throw minorities to the wolves. It's all about money, and you don't amass wealth by engaging in the actual work.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
But my family keeps trying to tell me that Target is a far left and radical corporation!!

Spineless is all they are.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"The reaction is a signal for us to pause, adapt and learn so that our future approach to these moments balances celebration, inclusivity and broad-based appeal," Christina Hennington, Target's chief growth officer, told analysts in August.
"We have to think of the bigots, too. It's only fair."

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
"All stores", but then the next paragraph says "select stores" (and online). It can't be all and select.

Bad article aside it shouldn't be taken away anywhere.
It's weird wording, they mean "not all stores will carry it". The pride collection was originally select stores, then expanded to all stores, and is being reduced back to select stores (apparently about half).

But no, you're right, it shouldn't be leaving any.

Feb 24, 2018
Exactly. You cannot trust corporations to hold down any consistent social ideology, because the moment fascism ramps up, they will be the first to throw minorities to the wolves. It's all about money, and you don't amass wealth by engaging in the actual work.
Especially when lets be honest many of the CEO and tops of these companies already had similar views to these right wing chuds, money seem to breed it so it doesn't take much shoving to do it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
no such thing as a corporate ally.

This and this.

The only reason corporations even pretend to be LGBT allies is because they ran the calculations; the amount of cash they make by showing "support" outweighs the money they lose from pissing off the bigots.

Stories like these, however, show just how close the needle is to the center — and that the companies are constantly recalculating.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, the poor sales they have had has nothing to do with the lack of employees and putting things like toothpaste behind locked doors or anything.
I am in no way defending the practice of locking up items, but the locking up of stuff like toothpaste is not a universal practice by the company. It seems to vary from store to store based on location and the theft rate within the range of that location as far as I can tell. I live in a smaller town outside of Fort Worth and all the Targets within my vicinity have basically nothing locked up beyond a handful of high dollar items like cosmetics and perfume/cologne. So I doubt that locking stuff up is having a big enough effect on sales when it comes to the bigger picture. Lack of employees for sure sucks though. Luckily the stores in my area seem to be properly staffed so I haven't seen that particular issue.

I think this is just a classic case of a retail company getting fucked by cheaper online shopping, inflation kicking peoples asses, and the company itself trying to find an easy scapegoat to explain it all away.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Cowards. Rainbow Capitalism proves once again it only cares about exploiting LGBTQ+ people for profits and not actually supporting LGBTQ+ people or LGBTQ+ issues.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, this kind of thing really hurts my soul. Why can't these people just not buy the Pride merch if they don't want it? Why are they so angry that someone else might buy it or see it? Conservatives prove time and time again the depths of their immaturity.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
They can all fuck off at this point. Rainbow capitalism is worse than meaningless, it's destructive. All these fucking companies will gladly put a knife between our shoulders when the barbarians are at their gates. It will happen again.

Oct 28, 2017
Cowards, it is never a good idea to acquiesce to the demands of fascism, especially when it comes to the public perception of a minority group.

They did hold out longer than I thought they would given the mistreatment their employees were facing, but doing it now just feels like they waited until it was the most harmful for everyone who isn't a bigot. By which I mean they let their employees take a huge beating and then decided to fold right before Pride Month.

A plague of locusts upon the houses of those that caused this to happen.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely disappointing and pathetic from Target.

I agree with people who side eye commercializing pride

Businesses, especially publicly traded ones, are not our friends or allies and will only stand by us for as long as it makes them money to do so

This

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Sadly when it comes to going after a company that shows support for trans people, conservatives have now learnt that if they focus on one single company they can have a material effect. I am as annoyed at Target here as I am at Bud for caving into this sort of bigotry because it only ensures that the bigots will focus their attention on yet another company until no company dares suggest trans folk are a group that exists and are worth marketing towards.