Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I assisted in the Kickstarter for Battle Chasers: Nightwar mostly because I wanted Joe Mad's silly ass fantasy comic to actually have a conclusion, but to also support a team with an impressive pedigree. At worst, I was expecting Nightwar to be about on par with other Japanese inspired RPGs like Cosmic Star Heroine and the Penny Arcade titles. I absolutely did NOT expect Nightwar to be this fucking good.

It's an impressive collection of modern and vintage RPG mechanics woven so well that it's a shame that a lot of people are missing out. From the fine-tailored dungeon crawling inspired by the Diablo and Persona titles, where approaching enemies with a specific 'dungeon skill' from each character can drastically change the tide of starting combat. Each party member has a neat skill in dungeon-mode that can add a variety of debuff attributes to give your team an advantage, and from there you play out the game's speedy, layered combat scenarios. Party members have defined roles that you notice early in the game but once you're introduced to the cool Perk-system -- where you can boost specific stats in different skill trees to tune those party members into different functions -- you can do some devestating shit to higher level enemies. Garrison can OHKO enemies if you have the perfect perk-tuning for Beserk. Red Monika's stealth-kills are satisfying and provide crazy crit potential. Alumon's blood magic stuff is nasty good even if the HP cost is severe, etc etc.

Dungeons are 'randomized' sure, but they all play out in a much more unique fashion than other procedural generated dungeons. There's puzzles to solve, FISHING, sub-bosses and hidden bosses with crazy good stuff to loot. There's never a second of the pacing slowing down or otherwise. Approaching the fifth dungeon now and, while there's an obvious skill wall to climb at that point the grind is still super satisfying.

The side-stuff is excellent too. Beast hunting, battle arena, pirate fighting, FISHING missions etc. I swear, if the story wasn't just...a Battle Chasers story, then I'd be pressed to find any real blemishes with this game.

And the music! MAN. Jesper Kyd really put his fuckin' foot in the music.

Nightwar is most definitely one of the biggest surprises for me this year, probably the best Kickstarter i've backed since Shovel Knight and well on it's way to being in my top 10 GOTYs.

its good y'all

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Good impression, currently waiting on the switch version. Kinda overwhelmed by the sheer number of games this year tbh. Have yet to try out horizon so the goty version will be mine

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Man I can't wait for the Switch version to release. Mark my words: when it hits? When people don't really have RPGs to choose from on that platform? It's gonna blow up. Super excited for that.

Hatebringer

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to try it out. I have it on my steam wishlist so I don't forget but I'll most likely have to wait until the Destiny 2 PC launch hype dies down a bit. Looks awesome though, looking forward to it.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Does the ps4 version got patched yet?

Got patched like a couple of weeks ago, yes. I believe that was also the balance patching that makes the later dungeons a lot more tolerable to go through.

Xbox ver doesn't have it yet which is weird. I mean that version performed well but I want those balance changes.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It looks pretty good. I am just waiting for the Switch version. I need a portable version of this game I think.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this, and wouldn't usually check it out under normal circumstances because the title sounds like shovelware. You make a strong case, OP, I'll check it out.

Man I can't wait for the Switch version to release.

It's coming to Switch? That's where I'll play it then.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Good to hear.

I kickstarted and am waiting for the Switch version.

I am secretly okay with it being delayed, since there is so much else on my Switch plate currently, but I'm diving in the moment it is released.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on the switch version, hopefully it comes out soon.

Oct 27, 2017
OP is dead nuts right. It's amazing. I'm about 40 hours in and currently grinding to get characters ready to go for a level 20ish area. I don't play a ton of turn-based RPGs but Battle Chasers is one of the best.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
It looks good but it seems like it needs a fast forward button in battles. You can just use cheat engine for that though.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear that it's good. Will buy when it releases for the Switch.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I've been eyeballing it for a few weeks now. Looks great, and would make a nice addition to my Switch library.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game. I've started a NG+ a couple weeks back and I've been slowly playing through it again after devouring the original playthrough.

It looks good but it seems like it needs a fast forward button in battles. You can just use cheat engine for that though.

The time it takes battles to complete is my biggest pet peeve with Nightwar. If they could speed that process up or provide a better "fast forward" mechanic, the game would be even better. Unfortunately, some grinding is required to reach 100% completion (mostly leveling up and replaying dungeons for events that you missed / didn't complete).

Other than that, there are some minor balance issues with the characters and how the potency of skills is determined:
Basically, all attacks / shields / healing / DoTs / etc. are determined by the attack stat, which can diminish the importance of many perks because the optimal build is always to get the "core" perks and masteries you want and then load up on attack with your other perks, masteries, and equipment.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't been following it that closely, but judging from various videos and screenshot, the game looks right up to my alley. Thanks for reminding me!

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, the game is great and a very nice love letter to japanese, turn based RPGs. Love it so far.

Hope the Switch version will get the "definitive" physical version, with the latest patches and no crashes.
My physical PS4 version is basically broken and worthless, without the latest patch, because of the massive amount of crashes.

The game deserves better!

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Yeah, the game is great and a very nice love letter to japanese, turn based RPGs. Love it so far.

Hope the Switch version will get the "definitive" physical version, with the latest patches and no crashes.
My physical PS4 version is basically broken and worthless, without the latest patch, because of the massive amount of crashes.

The game deserves better!

are like the physical versions unpatchable or something

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Playing it on PS4, its definitely awesome. Huge Battle Chasers fan, not usually a turn-based guy but I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I urge any dungeon crawler fan to get it ASAP.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe for moving around the world map, but I really don't feel that's the case for the dungeons and the combat.

Yeah I mostly agree with this. I could do with the overworld movement, and the start/finish battle animations being a bit faster, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Playing it on PS4, its definitely awesome. Huge Battle Chasers fan, not usually a turn-based guy but I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I urge any dungeon crawler fan to get it ASAP.

What do you think of the source material overall? I know next to nothing about it, but I quite like the artwork going on in the game. May be interested in picking it up.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I own it on steam and haven't played it yet.
It's in a list of games I need to get to.

Cragor

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to get this on switch, but the extra 10€ just for the heck of it rubs me the wrong way>_<.

jesu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've got my eye on it for my next game after Elex.
I really like the look of it.
And it's kinda cheap!

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
I've really enjoyed playing through it but its definitely got issues, especially with the artificial padding. Rerunning the same dungeon (and they are 90% the same everytime despite the layout/event changes) to make sure your characters are the right level for the next one, or for rare drops or encounters or whatever, isn't fun after the first few times. Its also a shame that characters not in the active party don't receive XP, as it basically means you're stuck with the same 3 characters unless you want to go back and repeat dungeons even more to make sure everyones the same level. As others have mentioned the slow battle speed doesn't help with the feelings of repetition either.

Still, I've personally enjoyed it a lot more than Persona 5, which is the only other turn based RPG I've played this year, definitely recommend it for anyone sitting on the fence.

EVAC434

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also holding out till Switch release. Hope it hits soon. I'm really eager to play this one. Have been a fan of Battle Chasers and Joe Mad since forever

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I mostly agree with this. I could do with the overworld movement, and the start/finish battle animations being a bit faster, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

What do you think of the source material overall? I know next to nothing about it, but I quite like the artwork going on in the game. May be interested in picking it up.
The comic series is short and incomplete but worth reading. Still, I really enjoy the characters and the lore and find the game relaxing to play.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty good. It gets a bit too grindy due to its randomized nature if you're trying for the legendary weapons, or if you're trying to level everyone up. I'm down for a sequel.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game looks awesome, but I heard that it might be too easy? Some people were saying that in random battles you could mash the attack button and still win? Anyway, I might get the game soon.

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this game, im a fan of turn based RPGs, and they are so rare these days its good to discover a game with it.

At the same time im not a fan of procedurally generated content, so that soured me on the game.

Is the story any good?

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like everything about it (randomized dungeons - the core mechanics in the dungeons are awesome but I think handcrafted dungeons would benefit the game) but the battle system is INCREDIBLE. As a longtime fan of what little material there was in the comics, it's such a joy to have a beautiful, fun as hell game that gives me more time with these characters.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
fighting trash mobs and super slow progression of story killed it for me. this game wastes too much of my time (cant skip a lot of animations even) and i hate that SO much

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Never heard of this game, im a fan of turn based RPGs, and they are so rare these days its good to discover a game with it.

At the same time im not a fan of procedurally generated content, so that soured me on the game.

Is the story any good?

It's heavy-japanese inspired western fantasy, for better or worse. you get more appreciation for it if you read the comics but it's pretty serviceable

noXninja

Oct 27, 2017
London
Really been looking forward to this game and great to hear that it turned out well. Just been sitting here waiting patiently for the Switch version. My biggest worry is that it releases close to Xenoblade. No way I'll have time to manage two RPGs at the same time.