Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's 20$CAD on the PSN store, wonder if it's worth it or wait for another price drop? I just dont want another generic RPG.....

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Was planning on buying this on Steam, but I just found out that since I'm in Taiwan, the regular Steam price comes out to about $22 USD. With the current 50% discount, that means that Steam version would be about a quarter of the price of the Switch version right now. Also, hearing that the load times are long on consoles makes it much more attractive to buy it on the PC since I have a SSD.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Was planning on buying this on Steam, but I just found out that since I'm in Taiwan, the regular Steam price comes out to about $22 USD. With the current 50% discount, that means that Steam version would be about a quarter of the price of the Switch version right now. Also, hearing that the load times are long on consoles makes it much more attractive to buy it on the PC since I have a SSD.
I'm playing it on X1X and I have no loading issues

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I got to the first dungeon and thought I'd play it on hard difficulty. Got walled by a fight so bad I had to go down to normal. :(

It's a little silly that hard has an enemy that does 90+ damage to characters when they only have about 100~140 hp and there are two other enemies to fight too.

I assume the idea is you rerun the dungeons on progressively higher difficulties rather than just jumping into hard?

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Just played for 20 minutes, undocked

Frame rate is noticeably worse than the Xbox 1X version, but still totally playable for me. Load times before battles seem fine, loading between areas a little annoying

I think it looks great on the Switch screen. I've also tried Earthlock, but I found something about the battle system to be annoying; felt too 'soft' if that makes any sense

My favorite part of Battle Chasers is how hard the hits feel in battle. Goes a long way

I played maybe 2-3 hours on Xbox, on Switch I can see playing a lot more in portable mode.

In my opinion this is the best traditional (if we're counting SRPGS I'd give it to Disgaia 5) turn-based RPG on Switch. When Octopath comes out that may change, but for the time being this is the jam. I prefer it to Xenoblade Chronocles 2 in fact

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I cleared it on normal very easily. That first boss was pretty cool too so I'm looking forward to tackling it on higher difficulties.

I do need to remember to use inns more often, though - I just used it for the first time and got a little cutscene for it, which is already really awesome.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I cleared it on normal very easily. That first boss was pretty cool too so I'm looking forward to tackling it on higher difficulties.

I do need to remember to use inns more often, though - I just used it for the first time and got a little cutscene for it, which is already really awesome.
The game is so good. I'm in a 3rd dungeon right at this moment and the amount of exploration is unreal! I've been here for the past hour maybe

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I've been playing the game undocked so far and I'm wondering, is the HD rumble when fishing really out of control for anyone else? Or is it just really pronounced/annoying when playing in portable mode with the Joy-Con attached? I had headphones on and could hear it humming. lol.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Knolan better than Calibretto? I find his healing traits are way and actually he can damage

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Knolan better than Calibretto? I find his healing traits are way and actually he can damage

Depends on your team structure. Knolan is sort of a do-it-all, bit of healing, bit of damage, bit of utility, etc. Cali can be built into both a damage dealer or a healer.
Early game I'd say Cali is better coz Cleansing Rain.

I actually stuck with the default party until the 5th or 6th dungeon. By that point you can have a bunch of perk points and can re-evaluate your setup.

Deleted member 16039

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game on Switch, got it yesterday and played it.

I love Joe Madureira's style and the Battle Chasers comics, so off course I was gonna play it.

I really like the artstyle, the music sounds cool and appart from some frame pacing issues, the game runs fine on Switch.

EDIT :
Thanks you SO MUCH OP for the tip about the anthology on the Play Store for 2 € !

Last edited:

Mideon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Load times need fixing in a patch if that is possible, everything else about the game is awesome, its just those load times.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the linked comic good? Not really a comic reader, but I've been looking forward to this game hitting Switch for quite some time. Not buying the game right now, though.

€1,60 is low enough for an impulse buy.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Is the linked comic good? Not really a comic reader, but I've been looking forward to this game hitting Switch for quite some time. Not buying the game right now, though.

€1,60 is low enough for an impulse buy.
I'm enjoying it a lot, and have paused progression on the game to get through it first. For the price it's absolutely worth it.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first dungeon and liking it so far but the load times and framerate are atrocious. Is this game made in Unity by any chance?

About the game itself, I like that there are enough subsystems for the gameplay and customisation to feel deep and engaging but without being too convoluted, and also that the difficulty level is balanced in a way that you don't have to backtrack to rest or stock up on potions every couple of fights thanks to the additional mana pool.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like people on Switch are struggling with loading time. Luckily I have no issues on X1X
Depends on your team structure. Knolan is sort of a do-it-all, bit of healing, bit of damage, bit of utility, etc. Cali can be built into both a damage dealer or a healer.
Early game I'd say Cali is better coz Cleansing Rain.

I actually stuck with the default party until the 5th or 6th dungeon. By that point you can have a bunch of perk points and can re-evaluate your setup.
Cleansing Rain? Is it the buff thats activated after using Purify or its a new move?

OP
OP
Vic_Viper

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
It is, yes.

Game also doesn't seem to do too hot on the eShop. No top 15 in US, number 14 on the German eShop as of yesterday.

That could also be because the game has been out for awhile now on other consoles and is a lot cheaper too. Plus they haven't really done the best job marketing the Switch version's release. I hope it has done well enough overall for a sequel atleast.

Love everything about the game so far. The dungeons and battles are especially great! Been awhile since I've played a turn based rpg, and this one is a great system with really heavy hitting attacks.

Only wish for a sequel is they do an actual overworld map. Not the biggest fan of how towns feel and the board game pathways.

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It really puts me off a publisher when they time the Switch launch of their game with a sale of it on other platforms, especially when the other platforms were already cheaper.

MZd0ySO.png

So £12.49 vs £34.99. Gross.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
It really puts me off a publisher when they time the Switch launch of their game with a sale of it on other platforms, especially when the other platforms were already cheaper.

MZd0ySO.png

I also am very puzzled about this. It's overpriced and especially so when other platforms are getting half-price discounts. I just don't understand the logic behind this. I bought and hope to enjoy it once I finish the comics, but this sours the purchase for me.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

MZd0ySO.png

The no.1 reason why i cant support it at this point. Will get it cheap on sale down the line...but not like this.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, I'm gonna wait on a sale as well. I'd buy it for 30, which would still be plenty more expensive than on the other platforms right now. But at 40 it feels like a rip-off.

There's Hyrule Warriors to occupy myself with until then.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying this so far. The dungeon crawling is just involved enough, and the battle system is snappy and nicely layered. The story so far is... not good, but I take it this picks up in the middle of an ongoing story, with pre-established characters, so I'm willing to give it some time and see what happens.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Short update from Airship Syndicate's forum:

"Codes are expected today by THQ Nordic. Once he gets them, we'll put them in our system, test them to make sure delivery is correct, then let you guys know immediately!"

Seems like backers will get their hands on it before the long weekend.

Last edited:

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought it on Steam yesterday. Cleared the first dungeon last night. I am in LOVE. I need to check out the comic.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I ended up buying this on the Xbone for that glorious resolution and 60fps battle.

I'm 3-4 dungeons deep and loving every minute of the game.

Some of these optional hunt bosses are no joke.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Ack sorry for quick double post but are physical copies of the anthology really $400? I love to support local shops but this seems ridiculous. Any other physical options? If not might have to go digital.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love the game. But since I've seen the sale on the other platforms I just can't help but feel like I've been punched in the dick for buying on Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
This games lacks a bit of spectacle. Like the kind of ridiculous attacks in Final Fantasy that go on for 2 minutes. Maybe some of those come later.

Also the game feels kinda unresponsive in exploration, like theres a lot of input lag. Not a dealbreaker of course but disappointing nonetheless.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Yeah great news from Airship about the codes! Hopefully, I can have them today because tomorrow is Hyrule Warriors day!

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't started the first dungeon yet. Is it possible to save and quit in the middle and come back to a dungeon and not lose progress? Or do you have to finish the dungeon in one go?

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I haven't started the first dungeon yet. Is it possible to save and quit in the middle and come back to a dungeon and not lose progress? Or do you have to finish the dungeon in one go?
If you leave the dungeon through its entrance, it seems to save where you left off. I haven't tried seeing what it does if you press "-" and "Save and Quit to Main Menu." I don't know if you can have multiple dungeons saved or not.

Also, the second quest in the Sewers can kiss the palest part of my white butt. The boss could one-shot most of my characters, so it systematically wiped out my entire party before I had even made a dent in its HP. :(

Last edited:

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017

If you save and quit, you'll start outside the dungeon but your progress inside will be saved including dead enemies and picked up items.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Played for 2 hours on Switch last night, I like it

I find turn-based games are the only games I really enjoy playing undocked; this is exactly what I need