Jul 26, 2018
just delay if needed battlefield cant afford another bad game in the series after the debacle with V
THIS 100%.

Especially since this game is going to be a multiplayer only game. If game releases badly, it's going to get bad press all over the place and many will refund the game, or head to COD.

NGL... i'm more worried about the game releasing this year than delay.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Yeah, I think delay is definitely coming. Everyone and their cat now knows about delay rumors, if those rumors were fake EA/DICE could have easily said so by now.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, moving game a month further works only if that game is in a really good state and needs some polishing. I'm getting some BF4 vibes here and I don't like it at all.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Ugh, moving game a month further works only if that game is in a really good state and needs some polishing. I'm getting some BF4 vibes here and I don't like it at all.
To be fair if the game was giving you a BF4 vibe, it would look great in the gameplay trailer, be buggy but generally fine for the last gen beta and launch, and implode on release for next gen.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Delaying Battlefield 2042 is probably a nightmare scenario for EA.

Choices like not having a campaign were likely made (at least in part) to confidently launch in the current timeframe.

Dedicating a studio to Battlefield Portal suggests that they didn't feel the need for Ripple Effect to just act as a support studio, so this has probably caught them off guard.

The decision to go toe-to-toe with Call of Duty probably isn't the easiest one to make.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair if the game was giving you a BF4 vibe, it would look great in the gameplay trailer, be buggy but generally fine for the last gen beta and launch, and implode on release for next gen.
That's a very accurate assessment of what happened there:) You only forgot about influencers who kept reassuring us that everything was fine.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
That's a very accurate assessment of what happened there:) You only forgot about influencers who kept reassuring us that everything was fine.
Even the review event was fine, which I do not think anyone was misleading people as closed environment tests can have different results from games that are live. Unfortunately how a game looks even in gameplay trailers and breakdowns might not be how it performs in the wild, only closed and open betas should give an idea. This is partially why people who are cautious about launch states should not put so much stock in promo gameplay footage. Hopefully they run the betas this month even if they delay the game so feedback and bugs can at least be identified.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I think releasing in the Holiday window was always folly for them. Put this game sometime when people are looking for something new in this space instead of playing the best selling franchise of all-time in a similar space, Call of Duty. Save it for the Jan.-Mar. timeframe.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I think releasing in the Holiday window was always folly for them. Put this game sometime when people are looking for something new in this space instead of playing the best selling franchise of all-time in a similar space, Call of Duty. Save it for the Jan.-Mar. timeframe.

So instead of going against CoD like so many, many times before release in window that has 2000 bit name games coming out?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think people understand how significant hitting the holiday season means for these companies. This was back years ago but I remember listening to one podcast and I dev said something like it's better to be the 5th best selling game of November than the best selling game in February. People spend a lot of money during the holidays. It's a big deal when a company misses. It's a difficult decision to delay a game into another year despite how easy some people think it is to do.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people understand how significant hitting the holiday season means for these companies. This was back years ago but I remember listening to one podcast and I dev said something like it's better to be the 5th best selling game of November than the best selling game in February. People spend a lot of money during the holidays. It's a big deal when a company misses. It's a difficult decision to delay a game into another year despite how easy some people think it is to do.

Maybe many years ago where getting those copies on launch month was majority of the revenue. Getting on the shelf for the holiday season was the payday regardless of quality.

• Getting the game right, the service based game where you keep selling skins and passes for 1-3 years after release, seems to be like a winning strategy. Short term revenue spike vs revenue spread across many months/years.
• EA keeps touting their sub numbers, who are evergreen customers regardless of season.
• Getting a month's long window where no other direct competitor cuts in with marketing/twitch/media presence is great.
• We have breakout hits during seemingly random periods of time, like Valheim, Apex or Valorant. The audience is always there, waiting for the next big game.

I have listed the steps how BFV did this very same feat, racing to the holiday season regardless of quality or live-service, and failed miserably.

EA can keep selling their sports game to the goldfish fans, this is their holiday season payday, the game can be copy-paste from last year and it will still be 3rd or 4th best selling game of the year. This is just not going to work out with new IPs, Battlefield or Titanfall - you gotta be competitive and deliver good experience with those games.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm afraid that if a delay is gonna happen, it won't be delayed to 2022, and it'll barely be long enough to help the game if it really needs more time in the oven.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Times have changed some since those days. Gaming is a mature market. It used to be centered on Christmas only and for Nintendo that's still a massive component of their success, because children. For everyone else? It definitely helps to make the season, but you can easily get overlooked and drowned out.

All you have to do is look at successes like Apex to see that lean times of year can work. It's arguable that the best thing they could have done with Battlefield is to make it free to play, but even if they're determined to get the initial payday, moving it away from their closest competitor who tend to suck all the air out of the room even with a middling release in their franchise has to make sense.

Sure, I'd stay put if I was releasing a game that doesn't directly compete with Call of Duty and attempt to make Christmas at all costs with a Final Fantasy, a FIFA, a Mario game, etc. That's massively more important when the competition on those is weak, but in the case of Battlefield? They have had their lunch eaten before when their game was great.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe many years ago where getting those copies on launch month was majority of the revenue. Getting on the shelf for the holiday season was the payday regardless of quality.

• Getting the game right, the service based game where you keep selling skins and passes for 1-3 years after release, seems to be like a winning strategy. Short term revenue spike vs revenue spread across many months/years.
• EA keeps touting their sub numbers, who are evergreen customers regardless of season.
• Getting a month's long window where no other direct competitor cuts in with marketing/twitch/media presence is great.
• We have breakout hits during seemingly random periods of time, like Valheim, Apex or Valorant. The audience is always there, waiting for the next big game.

I have listed the steps how BFV did this very same feat, racing to the holiday season regardless of quality or live-service, and failed miserably.

EA can keep selling their sports game to the goldfish fans, this is their holiday season payday, the game can be copy-paste from last year and it will still be 3rd or 4th best selling game of the year. This is just not going to work out with new IPs, Battlefield or Titanfall - you gotta be competitive and deliver good experience with those games.

Right. I get that. But the post I was replying to was saying they should release later was so they don't have to go up against COD which is probably the least of EA's concerns. If the game needs to be delayed because it's simply not ready, then it needs to be delayed. But it's still a tough decision that the devs and publishers need to weigh the pros and cons on. Nothing you listed makes the decision and logistics of delaying a game easier. It's not a switch they can just flip.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
sJ8FzvM.jpeg

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they are going to delay, they really need to start showing off what is coming. Need more map, class details

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Comes out the same day as Endwalkers now, welp. Basically guarantees I'm gonna wait a bit before playing it now.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Fine with the delay. You could see the handwriting on the wall when nothing was shown at the beginning of September. Hopefully this gives them enough time as I would have been fine with a spring release but I understand the financial pressures to still release this fall.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Interesting. Delay is obviously fine but it's odd that they say updates on the open beta will be coming later in the month, when the thing itself is supposed to release in under a week.

In either case, the priority is that the devs have the time they feel they need to make it the best they can, without grinding themselves to the bone.

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
So happy they did this. The money men won't be happy but as fans this is a win. Feel free to delay again if its still not right in a few weeks.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, there it is. Punted directly onto Endwalker's date. That's gonna be one hell of a double-feature.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
would make sense that BF1 is coming first to portal, it was such a huge hit that they would want to attract people who liked it (I didn't...)