• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
This piece gives me cause for concern, as it reminds me of Cyberpunk 2077's review sessions on PC. I have read many reviews now and this is the only one which actually detailed how all press reviewed the game.

If you're looking for a comprehensive review of "Battlefield 2042," you won't find it here. For that matter, you probably won't find it anywhere on Nov. 11, a day before the game releases to the public for an early access window. To date, the game has been available to reviewers only through curated experiences: First, via a beta that showcased just one mode on just one map and then this week, across three several-hour long sessions for reviewers. During those windows, participants could only play the mode and map served up by the game's developers, and only on PC, in part to ensure full servers for a game that can host up to 128 players in a given match. But while it was useful to get a glimpse of the live "Battlefield 2042" experience, the sessions produced more questions than answers. And the biggest question for me is, "Why wasn't this game delayed again?"

[..]

At the start of the review event, in fact, EA's media relations team circulated a document of known issues that spanned four pages. Some were rather innocuous (body parts clipping through walls) while others were more troublesome (sniper scopes losing their magnification). Even with all those instances already reported, reviewers found more throughout the week. One mouse-and-keyboard user's weapon kept firing even when they weren't pressing the left mouse button. Others reported their mouse and keyboards completely stopped working at random. Another player reported driving a tank into the water only to have their character launched into the sky. One member of my squad kept crashing out of the game.

My own experience included a number of oddities as well. A tank I called in with an airdrop disappeared under the map. A helicopter I piloted appeared to simply disappear midflight, with the game informing me and my deceased squad mate that we'd been "terminated." Most problematic of all, after being swept into the tornado and killed, it locked me into the game's revive state — I couldn't return to play without closing the game entirely or waiting for the round to end. None of that, however, frustrated me more than not being able to communicate with my teammates via game chat.
What also makes a true review of this game nigh impossible as it stands is that I can't confidently tell you if these problems will dissipate by launch day. It seems highly unlikely. This is particularly troubling to me, since the preview I participated in was played only on PC. I have no idea what the experience will be like on current-gen consoles, much less on a PS4 or Xbox One.

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
We opted not to attend in part because of some of the conditions.

I'm not surprised. I'm looking forward to playing it tomorrow, but man, my spider sense is... well... Cyberpunking. That launched to good review scores, to PC only, via controlled conditions. This is currently 80% on Metacritic, to publisher controlled maps, play times etc on one platform, where most of the reviews don't even state the conditions they played under.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The impressions of people who paid 30€ to play one week earlier
is all I need.

I then can try it out for 2 hours and refund on Steam next Friday.

Many press reviews are pretty much worthless anyway. Just look at Cyberpunk 2077 Metascore.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes. Outrage!

The first point in particular. However else are people supposed to review a MP only game with 128 player servers other than if Dice curates play sessions pre-release?? There's for sure not enough reviewers to fill several servers at all times of day..

What a whole load of nothing

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes. Outrage!

However else are people supposed to review a MP only game with 128 player servers other than if Dice curates it pre-release?? There's for sure not enough reviewers to fill several of them..

I'm not outraged. They could have done multi platform reviews in time windows, or required reviewers to state how they reviewed the game.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
We already saw from the beta it was more than a bit janky, but honestly, who gives a fuck about previews when we will be able to test run the game via Early Access before buying it anyways? See for yourself first hand.

Oct 28, 2017
Rushed and not ready. Very typical of AAA development these days from these big corporations that have to get product out there to please shareholders.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
People can try it for 1€ tomorrow so reviews don't really matter in this case anyway imo

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Me trying to care about press reviews when there is an endless amount of live footage on Twitch right now:

EuOAlQHWQAIIHt8.png

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes. Outrage!

The first point in particular. However else are people supposed to review a MP only game with 128 player servers other than if Dice curates play sessions pre-release?? There's for sure not enough reviewers to fill several servers at all times of day..

Yeah I dont get the complaint. Unless they wanted to wait for release this waa the only way. Infact Ive been told that EA asked creators not to call it a review and wait til it can be fully experienced.

But yeah from my understanding gamevis still fairly buggy as to be expected with DICE game.. but man the PC performance is terrible based on quite a few people I have spoken to.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
But this time people are already playing early access and sharing videos about how the game is. Press reviews aren't as useful as all of the random gameplay

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
But this time people are already playing early access and sharing videos about how the game is. Press reviews aren't as useful as all of the random gameplay

To you, but there's a reason traditional reviews are courted by publishers - they have a big audience. This has 80% on Metacritic, similar to Cyberpunk, by just using PC with short sessions with pre-selected maps and modes.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
To you, but there's a reason traditional reviews are courted by publishers - they have a big audience. This has 80% on Metacritic, similar to Cyberpunk, by just using PC with short sessions with pre-selected maps and modes.
They shouldn't be giving review scores for a multiplayer game with no offline modes before the game comes out anyway.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
OP you're really trying to sell this as a Cyberpunk situation, and I don't think anybody is gonna buy it. If anything, you're understating what an absolute nightmare that game was at launch. Again - the game is all over streaming websites. People can "drink from the firehose" through Twitch and YouTube right now.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm going to put this on my Christmas list and hope it smooths out by then. Was going to Day 1 in with my cousins but I can wait.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

Right but the initial concern - that the highly controlled review environment is there to minimize exposure to a disaster-level game state - has been somewhat obviated by people actually playing and reporting that while buggy it's not a disaster at all.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am optimistic but also not putting complete faith in "early access people are playing now and it's great". I feel like BF4 or some of their other games performed well in early access when the servers weren't under full load, and then shit the bed after general release.

I wonder if they're planning on a day 1 patch to address some of these bugs, too.

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
Right but the initial concern - that the highly controlled review environment is there to minimize exposure to a disaster-level game state - has been somewhat obviated by people actually playing and reporting that while buggy it's not a disaster at all.

Right - but that's caused by people getting the game early and the publisher (thankfully) not nuking the footage via DMCA (which CDPR did) as far as I can see.

May 17, 2018
At the start of the review event, in fact, EA's media relations team circulated a document of known issues that spanned four pages. Some were rather innocuous (body parts clipping through walls) while others were more troublesome (sniper scopes losing their magnification). Even with all those instances already reported, reviewers found more throughout the week. One mouse-and-keyboard user's weapon kept firing even when they weren't pressing the left mouse button. Others reported their mouse and keyboards completely stopped working at random. Another player reported driving a tank into the water only to have their character launched into the sky. One member of my squad kept crashing out of the game.

How are these known-shippable bugs? This is legit unacceptable.

Imagine if MS launched Forza and was like "yeah, some of the cars don't accelerate."

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I'm not outraged. They could have done multi platform reviews in time windows, or required reviewers to state how they reviewed the game.
It's easier for them to send computers out to people who need them then somehow wrangle up a bunch of Xbox Series Xs or something. Can't guarantee everyone has a new console, so it's better on one platform at one time.

Our outlet couldn't really justify sacrificing the hours during the work day to write a review that wouldn't be very comprehensive. Ideally, most outlets are going to do a review in progress and see how this thing holds up in a live environment.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah heard from a few people on discord that reviews should be looked at previews. Cause things are rooough

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Yeah this is gonna be a ruff ride I guess. All the warning flags are there. I'm gonna try to play it during this 10 hr trial (paid $1 for game pass). If it seems super whack I'll refund my Steam copy. But I'm really thristy for AAA scifi so will prob just keep the standard edition on steam. Heck, I loved CP2077 (PC) at launch so lets face it my standards not as high as others

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to have an awful launch.

It'll be good in 4 months or more which is how long of a delay it probably needed.

You could use your beta impressions to easily draw conclusions that the game is in a very rough spot.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Watching Broken Machine on youtube right now on PS5 and I think it looks pretty great....I played 6 matches on Portal and 2 on BF 2042 earlier(thanks New Zealand) and though it was amazing so that's enough for me.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Shit's broken or not ready probably but they cannot miss FY release.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Man. Rough 2 days for preorders. Cancelled GTA yesterday and Battlefield Gold today. Kinda of excited to try out all the jank through game pass now that I don't have any new money on the line.

Backers

Apr 10, 2018
Bordeaux, France
How are these known-shippable bugs? This is legit unacceptable.

Imagine if MS launched Forza and was like "yeah, some of the cars don't accelerate."
Don't know if it's sarcasm but the game has a car who doesn't stop to accelerate so it can reach insane speed, while online is broken AF and everytime the servers disconnects you (and it's a lot) your car stops instantly. I could also speak of HUD bugs, A.I strange behavior and in race scripts which let you pass the first half of racers then stucks you behind the other half which is constantly ignoring grip/brake/acceleration limits of their car.

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
The reviews scores for Battlefield 2042 on Metacritic on PS4 are all 60, and on Xbox One it's 65.

Good job the publisher didn't game the system or anything.

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
It's 19th November in the UK, release day for Battlefield 2042 outside of early access.

On Opencritic it has a score of 73, on Metacritic for PS5 it is 66 and on Xbox it is 62.

I find it deeply concerning the publisher managed to get away with limited access previews being used for reviews, on one platform, gaining significantly higher review scores than the review scores at actual release.

OP
OP
RedbullCola

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
I realise nobody cares but Steam reviews are open on PC now, with over a thousand reviews it is at Mostly Negative, with 24% liking it.