icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
i like it better than battlefield 1, and the map is certainly better than any of the bf 1 maps, but bf4 is still preferable for me

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
My major question is, does it feel like WWII?

It's fun, but it's not 1942/1943 style of gameplay if that makes sense, there's the general favoritism and push toward smg's/full auto's rather then having rifles and things as one of hte main forefronts of a class like you had with the engineer/rifleman class in the older wwII games.

The map is quite dense with clutter and elevation changes, but it's also very open with multiple ways in/out of everything.

The aircraft seem near useless (at least in my experience), there's really not a good way to spot enemies on the ground and with all the clutter I never really saw the air vehicles as a threat, at all. In fact it seemed like the AA Flak were quite popular/easy at taking them out of the skies. They really do need a buff or something that gives them more to do.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How does the movement and shooting feel compared to BF1? Hopefully more weighty.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
How does the movement and shooting feel compared to BF1? Hopefully more weighty.

I'd say so, although there's no visual recoil or anything so using the medic semi auto rifle can be jarring at first. Your shots go exactly where they should and your gun doesn't jump all over the place. It's possible to fight a sniper now.

ADA spam isn't as bad as past games. Sprint speed feels a touch slower overall.

Nuclearaddict

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun, but it's not 1942/1943 style of gameplay if that makes sense, there's the general favoritism and push toward smg's/full auto's rather then having rifles and things as one of hte main forefronts of a class like you had with the engineer/rifleman class in the older wwII games.

The map is quite dense with clutter and elevation changes, but it's also very open with multiple ways in/out of everything.

The aircraft seem near useless (at least in my experience), there's really not a good way to spot enemies on the ground and with all the clutter I never really saw the air vehicles as a threat, at all. In fact it seemed like the AA Flak were quite popular/easy at taking them out of the skies. They really do need a buff or something that gives them more to do.

BF1942 never had rifles at the forefront. It was always SMGs/full autos.

edit: only engineer and scout classes had access to rifles in BF1942.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the TTK for most part. I like the current flow of combat, how guns hit hard but not tediously so, and much of the damage can be offset by playing more carefully. It's a far cry from Battlefield 1, a game I adore, where arcadey run-and-gun takes a backseat to patience and care. It doesn't necessarily feel any less hectic; matches are still rich in chaos, and combat loud and frightening. It's just that the weight behind every shot and motion feels more deliberate and significance.

I think the rush to capture a flag is a simple but great example. In Battlefield 1 if your team is trying to capture a point players will just rush endlessly at the flag irrespective of strategy or life. The opposition will mow down waves. You'll die, respawn, and repeat, each time inching closer and closer. Quick revives keep it flowing. Here the more calculated pacing and weighted game mechanics give more value to progress. Getting closer to an objective feels more rewarding as the gained ground puts you in a more advantageous position. Dropping an enemy feels like a significant step forward, as you know they can't just be instantly revived and it's one less person to take you out. And when you're capturing a point you know the opposition isn't just going to haul themselves at the flag in waves because the mechanics just don't support it.
How are you finding lag playing in Australia? I'm having a rough time.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Bf1942 had rifles as the main weapon of the engineer class and 1943 had a rifleman class at the forefront (never understand with Dice never released it on pc, it was a blast).

Whereas with BF1 the non-scoped rifles are "variants" that are locked away, not sure how BFV is going to do but from beta the two classes with rifles (medic/scout) are both scoped rifles, I assume they have unscoped ones locked away as "variants" or such like BF1, but I'm not sure how they are going to do it.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's humorous using this argument to defend sniping, as if it's ever been anything but a braindead easy, and also mostly useless, gameplay style in the Battlefield games. If you are playing in a style where things like the scope glint cause problems, you definitely aren't "being sneaky, using tactics to counter whatever I came across". You are camping on a ridge and going 8 and 2 (if you aren't terrible) over a 30 minutes match without contributing anything at all to the team.

Anything the devs can do to discourage lone wolfs camping at the edge of the map for a handful of kills is a positive in my book.

It seems that you have never played a scout in BF.

I have always been a rifle player if possible. From the first BF. I have always been useful for my team. I used to first go into a position near a flag, kill all the snipers camping around it and then go to cap. I was fucking good with CQ combat with a rifle and pistol. Scope glint gives away my position, and it is pretty fucking hard to re-locate if enemy knows your general direction.

Going around with an assault weapon is the most braindead easy way of play, especially in the newer Battlefields where you can fucking countersnipe with an AR.

When I said being sneaky and using tactics I mean VS snipers, not as a sniper.

The whole crusade to nerf snipers in games instead of thinking of other ways (like putting a max cap on the number of snipers per team depending on the size of the players) is absurd imo, it's like some people hate snipers so much they want to just delete them and that whole thing from the games. You don't like sniping, that's fine, but you're literally advocating to get rid of a playstyle that many people enjoy simply because you yourself don't like it, you want them to be handicapped so hard that they are useless or pointless to play. It worked fine in BF1942, it worked fine in BF2, I found dolphin diving a faaaaar more annoying facet then dealing with a sniper camping somewhere.

I hate smg's/lmg's, yet I'm not advocating dice add some magical means that lets me counter them or nerf them out of existence. In both WWI/WW2 rifles were the backbone of every single army that fought in the war, yet in Dice's newer games they are largely a secondary weapon that are locked behind unlocks generally with no real class to themselves.

I'm not even a die hard sniper, I like the rifleman style of class the best, using things like the M1 Garand, Gewehr 43, SVT-40, etc. This used to be what the Engineer class was, and in BF1943 it was the main rifleman class. However that entire facet is missing (in the beta) and in release there's no such class, it will likely be the medic class with them locked behind "variant" buys (like it was in BF1).

I'd love to see MG's get love too, actually set up the bipod and have good actual range+power and be able to cover a larger area so they are a fearful weapon and if you run into an open area where someone has an mg setup to cover it you're deadmeat like mg's should be.

I just want to see rifles in general get more love then what they get in the series these days, especially in a setting where they were at the forefront and a main weapon used by all armies, and think there's better ways to balance snipers vs adding magical handicaps to them or giving everyone a "cheat" basically to see them.

This. I agree so much with you. I have played a rifleman in every Battlefield. M1 Garand is my favourite weapon of all time in Battlefield.

But the weapon I want the most is a Finnish M/28, made from Mosin-Nagant. I want to go around without scope like Simo Häyhä.

And I was an engineer and a scout in 42. Because they had rifles. Rifle gameplay is so much more satisfying than bunnyhopping around and going full rambo. That is the CoD gameplay (especially in the new Battlefields) and I never liked it.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Anyone that has tried the alpha on a 280X and can say how it runs? (paired with an i5 maybe :'D)

[even with all at minimum/turned off, don't care about graphic]

Thanks!

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely doesn't give WW2 feel. There's tons of shit that doesn't match the concept. It was supposed to be Bad Company 3. Except that, every other thing is better than BF1.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Absolutely doesn't give WW2 feel. There's tons of shit that doesn't match the concept. It was supposed to be Bad Company 3. Except that, every other thing is better than BF1.
Yeah watching all the streams it really doesnt look like a WW2 game besides the Weapons...
Should have called it Bad Company WW2 or something...

How so?

I can see meme level customization ("lol, we have claw prosthetic that somehow functions like real arm") becoming issue, but this game is a lot more authentic WW2 than BF1 is WW1. At least weapons available in this alpha were actually widely used during the war. Sure we have meme tank like Strumtiger that never really served any purpose and had like 5 of them ever manufactured, but as is this alpha has more WW2 authenticity than BF1 has to WW1.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Don't care about authenticity. I'm gonna rock my prosthetic arm nazi girl.

Oh I don't expect DICE to care about WW2 era at the slightest, especially towards later content releases. I expect to see AK's, M60 Pattons etc. just because why not?

But based on what we have seen for now they are more era loyal than with BF1.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah watching all the streams it really doesnt look like a WW2 game besides the Weapons...
Should have called it Bad Company WW2 or something...

What is a World War II game supposed to look like?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love this game and im a BF vet. Gosh 4 more months until release.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
On some of the stream/video footage, the visual indicators for very low health appear much reduced from BF4/1. This feel an improvement for those who've played?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
bf1egsay.png

bf3blsqa.png

bf4x5s9n.png

bf26is7k.png

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

What that even means?

In BFV weapons have authentic models and audio, also alpha doesn't have any weapons or attachments that weren't in production during war.

In BFV vehicles have authentic models and audio.

In BFV soldier uniforms and gear are era authentic, if we ignore clowcar combinations.

In BFV assets on maps are WW2 era authentic from civilian to military assets.

So... how this doesn't look like WW2 shooter?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What that even means?

Used models and textures for boots, pants, coats, masks, even prosthetics are era authentic and accurate. They are actual uniforms, camos etc. used in that era and during war. "Clowncar combinations" is reference to somehow prosthetic nonfunctional arms are fine for front line soldiers as customization options or assault soldier running around wearing headgear that were for plane pilots.

While assets in themselves are era authentic how they are used in the game is laughable, to me.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How so?

I can see meme level customization ("lol, we have claw prosthetic that somehow functions like real arm") becoming issue, but this game is a lot more authentic WW2 than BF1 is WW1. At least weapons available in this alpha were actually widely used during the war. Sure we have meme tank like Strumtiger that never really served any purpose and had like 5 of them ever manufactured, but as is this alpha has more WW2 authenticity than BF1 has to WW1.
Absolutely no. I don't like BF1, but didn't have that kind of problem for me. On this game, the filters they used, colour palette, level design, architecture etc. and especially... The soldier designs have nothing to do with WW2. Of course I'll take the game no matter what, I like that new gameplay mechanics. I'm just telling what's wrong with the game. And it certainly doesn't gives WW2 feel.

What is a World War II game supposed to look like?
Like a World War II game.

Call-of-Duty-Through-The-Ages.jpg

image_medal_of_honor_airborne-5566-951_0002.jpg

Brothers-in-Arms-1.jpg

3168509-1.jpg

Screenshot-165.png

1479833077-3259162807.jpg

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Absolutely no. I don't like BF1, but didn't have that kind of problem for me. On this game, the filters they used, colour palette, level design, architecture etc. and especially... The soldier designs have nothing to do with WW2. Of course I'll take the game no matter what, I like that new gameplay mechanics. I'm just telling what's wrong with the game. And it certainly doesn't gives WW2 feel.

Brothers-in-Arms-1.jpg

3168509-1.jpg

Screenshot-165.png

What makes that "more WW2"? Muted colors, a lot use of grayscale, "MURICA!" and France?

I'm just trying to nail down what about BFV is so... "not WW2"(?) for you.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Brothers-in-Arms-1.jpg

3168509-1.jpg

Screenshot-165.png

Oh I get it. It doesn't look like Saving Private Ryan. Because the map where the beta is located at would look nothing like. World War II was a massive conflict that span different environments.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
WWII games are supposed to look like the desaturated colour palette making up ruins of Berlin and Stalingrad with a dash of Africa that media has conditioned us to. Don't forget the Americans in Normandy. Ooorah.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In this case... It's like Bad Company 3 or V instead of WW2 game for me.

Thats only because your mental image of a WW2 game are the generic gritty locations usually displayed on a few popular movies, where the battle has been raging for months and years.

The map that has been shown of this game thus far takes place either the night of the landing or the following day. Its going to look colorful and normal, not a wasteland.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game doesn't use the same color palette Spielberg popularized it ain't WWII, thems the rules.

Aurora Borealis? In WWII? Localized entirely in Narvik?

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game doesn't use the same color palette Spielberg popularized it ain't WWII, thems the rules.
I don't care Spielberg and I'm not just saying color palette. Brothers in Arms was a colorful game, but look what it looks like. You can easily tell this is a damn WW2 game.

3.jpg

Brothers+in+Arms+hell's+highway+(1).jpg

brothersinarmshh_sc002

5e4cfbb7-3b37-421b-bdaf-d581b9c7dbfe.png

biahh-2013-03-01-20-26-48-50.jpg

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Have people in this thread been complaining about the palette? It's funny because Battlefield 1943 was very vibrant and nobody ever complained about that.

The best squad screens are ridiculous though, the soldiers look ridiculous in terms of how they're turned out in most of them. It makes me wonder why they even wanted to go with the WW2 setting? Perhaps the team decided that, but then EA forced the cosmetic customisation upon them in the hopes of chasing those microtransaction dollars.

Oct 25, 2017
Medics get a scoped Gewehr 43 or an MP40.
I'm hoping the medic class will also get the Thompson and the Garand. Having the mp40 will bring me back to my Enemy Territory days.

Speaking of, Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is one of the greatest if not the greatest WWII shooters and it did not have the super authentic super realistic art style. What it did have was fun as fuck gameplay, which is all that matters.