Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I mean, these are actual war heroes:

1200px-paratrooper_apefuih.jpg

And there are a bunch of notably traditional Battlefield V characters:

bfv_revealscreenshot_ldprn.png

bfv_revealscreenshot_72r7z.png
I keep seeing posts like this that show actual historical examples of things seen in that trailer but I'm starting to think people just ignore them. There was also a post with pictures of WWII soldiers with katanas, but acknowledging those ruins the narrative I guess.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
okay okay okay
so it's historical accurate to real life, whatever
but is it historically accurate to movie

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
If it means that these people will stop playing Battlefield and never the ever fuck come back, then I am happy.

Dear DICE, please make sure to feature women as goddamn much as possible on the cover of the game.

And a lot of these snow flakes wonder why they can't get a girlfriend.

Edit; Probably incels though

a30.jpg
Oooh, Mage Wars. :o

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's ridiculous, like.

People keep trying to justify it as "HISTYORUCAL ACURICY" but we all know that's it's out right sexism. No one evervcomplained before, so why now?

If it was as simple as that there would have been complaints over BF1, featuring a woman.

There are lots of sexist idiots of course. But for me the tone of the trailer was a misstep.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Common guys, this is an EA title we're talking about. Double the sexes, twice the outfits sales opportunity. It also has to be bright and cartoony to show off your bling. You can't sell too many varieties of green fatigues, but a fancy vest with a bright yellow logo speaks volumes. And that's the sum and substance off it. There no almighty social justice at play here by these guys, it's the f2p model to a tea.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.

Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know evety little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.

Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?

These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a shitty head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Who enjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us. You're not special, you're not original, you're not the first; this is just another boss fight.
...is this a copypasta?

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know what it was. But I don't think the MP will involve creating "resistance groups" given it is a 64 player battle....
I'm pretty sure the characters in the trailer were the same ones that we saw on the stream when they were on "The company" section. The way I recall it, it sounded like you could create a group to play with and customize how your characters look.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only side effect of girls being represented in games is that there's will be more girl gamers.

Oh, the horror!

Why don't some of these weirdo guys like that? Wouldn't it be nice to find a girl that wants to play games with you?

This is just the silliest thing ever.

No fucker wants to play games with these cretins.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm pretty sure the characters in the trailer were the same ones that we saw on the stream when they were on "The company" section. The way I recall it, it sounded like you could create a group to play with and customize how your characters look.

Yeah a company. But I think they are meant to be an army unit. Not the resistance.

blaisedial

Oct 25, 2017
There is misogyny out there for sure, absolutely. But most people don't "hate the female soldier", they are "confused by the female soldier with the prosthetic arm doing a 180 no scope sniper kill, followed by a british soldier with a samurai sword jumping out of the window, followed by a guy who looks like Kratos from God of War, followed by a extremely hectic gameplay scene that shows how somebody lobs a grenade in the air that you shoot, taking down a Messerschmitt with it".

Check reddit and such, the complaints are mostly directed towards the goofy tone the game seems to have and how the trailer presents the setting.

Sorry calling bullshit here. Did any of these people raise any objections to any of the completely outlandish and insanely over the top aspects and gameplay mechanics of previous games? It's no coincidence that the thing that triggered these guys was the appearance of a female character.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the reveal was cringe-inducing - there was a swarm of racist / misogynistic comments as soon as a female or anyone of color was shown. This is the world we live in and it's depressing.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was on the fence about BFV (war stories instead of campaign), but this backlash might just push me towards buying the game. Because fuck those people.

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
Lol women didn't fight in WWII?
My 9th grade history teacher fought in the war as a gunner in a plane. She was badass as fuck.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe there is a major overlap in alt-right & incels.

I was being ironic about calling them snowflakes

Sure they may actually be on the same boards, but that's like saying the same here. All I'm trying to get across is I thoyght your point was shallow and pretty shit.

...Are these things mutually exclusive?

Sure Jan.

On topic, these mouth breathers are wildly pathetic, sure they'll claim BUT MUHH HISTORY, but lets face it,
If they wanted to really depict WW2 they'd have a section of the US nuking the living shit out of Hiroshima,
they'd also show the atrocities British and Russian troops did, but nah we get the fairly tale version from the eyes of the winner.
I have more issue with the depiction of war not because females are in it, and lets face it there were female soldiers

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Okay, I seriously need to abandon Battlefield threads for a long while here because my blood pressure is actively spiking to unhealthy levels but let's go step by step here...

A) Battlefield has never, ever, ever been realistic. Not once.

B) Your grandfathers wouldn't give a shit about woman being included in a video game depiction of a war they fought in. If they would have been upset, they, much like those upset by it now, would be pieces of shit.

C) The world is in color. The game has bright colors. I don't know if some of you have watched episodes of Leave It To Beaver and thought "wow, what was the world like when people could only see black and white?" but the world is a vivid fuckin' place and it always has been.

D) A wacky tone does NOT make the game similar in any way, shape or form to Fortnite. This point shouldn't need explaining.

E) Prosthetic limbs were used in WWII and are very, very real things. It's not steampunk sci-fi bullshit. If you see an amputee on the street, please don't run up to them like a moron and scream "V has come to!"

I'm off to go swallow some Excedrin. I need to lie down.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was honestly surprised to see so much backlash to the reveal. The trailer specifically was clearly meant to show the flow/mechanics of a multiplayer match rather than a recreation of any particular battle.

The "War Stories" campaign will likely focus on more believable scenarios. Multiplayer will continue to be the battlefield craziness that we know and love. If people want to complain about the addition of cosmetics, they're sure picking a sexist way to do so.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry calling bullshit here. Did any of these people raise any objections to any of the completely outlandish and insanely over the top aspects and gameplay mechanics of previous games? It's no coincidence that the thing that triggered these guys was the appearance of a female character.

You don't need to want a simulator to value accuracy in presentation. 'The new Aston Martin doesn't look like that' and 'Drifting like that would make your car tyres fall off' are distinctly different issues with a game. Accurate presentation and unrealistic game mechanics can coexist, and having an issue with one doesn't necessitate an issue with the other.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The "War Stories" campaign will likely focus on more believable scenarios.
It won't, it'll most likely be a power fantasy, and people won't care as long as that power fantasy doesn't include women and minorities. Because when a white dude single-handedly destroys a battalion, it's "authentic and believable." But a woman on the battlefield? "Ooo, the devs are going too far, this authentic enough"

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This kind of gamers are the same when they're losing do rage quit or changing team unbalancing the match

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Guys, even IF there was not a single woman on the battlefield during the entire period of the war
Even THEN it does not warrant the kind of knee jerk and mean spirited reactions I have seen
These people are LIVID that there is a woman in their brainless shooty game

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sigh

I blame social media. I don't remember any outrage when Medal of Honour Underground came out.

And yes, historicaly 99% of people who fought in WW2 were men, but there are many examples of women fighting as well. The trailer also shows a plane being taken out by somebody tossing back a granade, a guy diving out a window with a Katana on his back, and tanks driving through buildings. But a woman fighting is somehow a step too far?!

It's not a historical simulation and was never intended to be. It's Battlefield FFS.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The series of tweets from David Milner is scathing and I love every single letter and gif. So happy to see them push back against ignorance in such a beautiful manner.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, obviously misogyny is the main driving factor in this, but I do wonder how many people legitimately did not know women fought in WW2? I certainly wasn't taught it in school. I only know because I really enjoyed learning more about WW2.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Was reading through some of this yesterday and I really just cannot believe these children at this point. They're parodies of themselves. You can predict exactly how they'll respond to absolutely anything.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
People can be stupid assholes and complain about everything without knowing jackshit.

Also Battlefield V having a woman on the cover this time is pretty cool.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
These moments, in an ironic sort of way, prove why representation matters.

People see a woman or minority where they think they shouldn't.

They think it's wrong because their main engagement with the time and place in question is in fiction with poor representation.

Their reaction, due to this slurry of bigotry and ignorance, is to demand for less representation, because it "doesn't matter and is ahistorical".

And the cycle continues.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Saw one not so big Youtuber this morning go over the trailer and as soon as the Woman came onscreen, he was like "ugh a woman and shes ginger" you could hear the disgust in his voice, this man is in his 40's btw so he should know better.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I was DICE I would immediately announce "All Women Weekends" where you can only play as females to promote Breast Cancer Research or something. Oh and make it triple xp too
Quickly followed by AMAZON BRIGADE DLC. I want these assholes to stress and rage themselves into a coma.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
You know, I do understand the fact that character models definitely could definitely look out of place. The prosthetic arm is a little much. Whatever, you don't want over-the-top aesthetics in a game series that has been grounded. But women soldiers aren't going to suddenly break "muh immersion".

who gives a fuck. It's battlefield. You'll see an enemy player for like 2 seconds. I've car bombed enemies with and ATV, crashed an obscene amount of jets into the ground, used prototype weapons that were never in mass production, and have a goddamn anime face drawn on the side of my Abrams. Is this really where the line gets drawn. Having a woman soldier next to me in a WW2 game?

Also the trailer was pretty alright at best, hot garbage at worst

DoublePayje

Oct 29, 2017

Maybe a look back at previous games help (sorry, cant embed more than two videos per reply).

Battlefield 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRqfFfuVuNE

First look is rather dark colors, gritty look, trying to make it like an actual war thing. Following multiplayer trailer: Real gameplay, some crazy stuff like jumping off a cliff to parachute into enemy territory.

Battlefield 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl-VV9loYLw

Again: Opening up with darker tone, war story, people dying left and right. Multiplayer launch trailer: Full of goofy stuff like riding a quad up an elevator and then jumping off a tower that goes all 9/11 on us. Again, lots of absolutely normal and absurd gameplay.

And now you have this insane BF5 reveal with all the crazy stuff I mentioned before. Lobbing a fricking grenade up in the air, shooting it, taking down an airplane with it. Again: misogyny is absolutely showing on social media right now, but this shit storm would not have happened if this trailer would have been the second or third one after a bit more "down to earth" reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.