• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Final mission question:

How good should the lances be? Average tonnage? Pilots? I have enough for one assault lance with good pilots, and a heavy lance with above average pilots (or an unsatisfying mix). Don't really care to grind any more 'Mechs and pilot skills though.
I went in to the first final mission with an Atlas, Highlander, Wolverine, and catapult which turned out to work quite well. If you complete the optional objective in it it becomes a lot easier but completing the optional objective without making it pointless is difficult. The wolverine and catapult took some structure damage but came out whole.

The second final mission I used a black knight, kingcrab, and an Atlas and that seemed fine. Could've gone lighter it felt like

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna quote my own post in case anyone who's interested missed it:
So I started working on my own weapon balance mod due to feeling kind of 'meh' on most of the existing mods out there. You can look at my current specs on this spreadsheet. Quick and dirty summary:

- Autocannons got a heat reduction across the board. Their damage/weight/heat was just abysmal. AC/2s got a +5 damage boost along with doubled stability damage (with amounts to pretty much nothing in the end, but still). AC/5s got a lower 80% stability damage boost as their damage/weight/heat already encroaches on AC/10s. AC/10s got +5 damage as well as its own doubled stability damage, which helps to justify its massive 12 ton weight. AC/20s got a 1.5x stability damage increase as well, which makes them extremely frightening to go up against. And they need it, considering their short range and outrageously high tonnage (the highest of any weapon in the game short of Gauss rifles).

- Missiles got a 25%(!!) damage decrease; basically me undoing the 33% damage buff they were originally given by HBS for, IMO, no good reason. I did slightly decrease their heat generation (SRM4s aside, which were always unusually heat efficient) across the board to compensate, but otherwise this is a straight (and very needed) nerf. You can just look at the DMG by Weight/Heat/Ammo columns to see that they're still pretty strong after this nerf... which goes to show how ungodly overpowered they are in the current live game.

- Medium lasers and small lasers are untouched; I consider them baseline weapons and I prefer to balance weapons around them rather than nerfing or buffing them directly.

- Large lasers and PPCs both got a +10 damage and -10 heat gen change. That's a HUGE buff and yet, still, their stats on paper are pretty crap. PPCs still have subpar DMG/weight/heat relative to their closest counterpart, the AC/5, and it's only the accuracy penalty side effect that's keeping me from buffing them further. There is pretty much no good reason to use a LL over an AC/10 even after this buff, either, aside from simply not having the ballistic slots or the weight allowance for one. The utterly pitiful +5 damage/-5 heat changes I've seen in other balance mods are, IMO, a band-aid over a gaping wound.

- Lostech (not shown in the spreadsheet aside from Gauss rifles) is buffed across the board. Pulse lasers in particular got a range nerf (seriously, they are not supposed to share the same range as standard lasers) while getting a massive 3:1 damage:heat ratio in order to justify both the range nerf and increased tonnage. ER lasers now only generate 20% more heat than their standard counterparts; in actual practice I find such meagre range boosts generally only allow the mechs fielding them to fire off one salvo before being closed in on by mechs using standard equipment (if they get so lucky in the first place), so I priced the range increase accordingly. I find the 50% increased heat generation in the default settings absolutely hilarious considering how weak the range increase generally performs in actual combat.

So far my testing in skirmish makes standard variants fielding two or three heavy weapons far more threatening than they are normally, especially if one or two of those weapons are PPCs or LLs. Missiles are still ridiculously strong for knocking things down (maybe too strong, tbh) but are no longer no-brainer, always-build-around-them weapons. Autocannons are more worth their weight relative to everything else in the game, and even AC/2s can have their niche (though you're still generally better off running AC/5s over them).

I uploaded the files here if anyone wants to try it (it extracts to \BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\weapon - you may want to copy the directory as a backup just in case). I don't think my changes are perfect just yet, but I also think that this mod plays far better than the game currently does, and I certainly have a higher opinion of these changes than the smaller, less holistic changes I've seen in other balance mods. YMMV, ofc.
Final mission question:

How good should the lances be? Average tonnage? Pilots? I have enough for one assault lance with good pilots, and a heavy lance with above average pilots (or an unsatisfying mix). Don't really care to grind any more 'Mechs and pilot skills though.
Depends on how much damage you expect to take. You want all assaults if you can at all help it, and if you manage to not take any structure damage in the first mission (easier than it sounds, actually), you won't need a second lance at all. Of course, it's best to be prepared, regardless. I'll note you only need three mechs for the second half as they give you a pre-fitted assault.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So does the skill simply not unlock or is it not possible to even spec that far? I mean, I kinda wanna increase my base-hitchance on every mech, but I don't necessarily want multi-target.

Ah so I can still level up, just don't get the skill. Thanks.

Yeah you can continue down skill trees you just won't unlock the abilities.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that CGL is not a miniature company, they depend on IWM to make their minis. Their attempts at minis have been half assed. If they want to sell Btech to the masses, they need to do a full range of miniatures from scratch, but they are a rulebook making company, games aren't done like this anymore. Technically having to use two different companies to get your game and then your miniatures from is extremely half assed because it's a pain for stores to deal with, as it requires two different distributors. Stores can buy the books, but they can't buy the miniatures to support the game. What a mess.

Hypothetically, it would be interesting to see what Fantasy Flight Games could do with the license. X-Wing seems pretty popular, and that style of game, with ships/pilots could translate well to Mechs/Mechwarriors. If they kept to the same scale as Classic Battletech, they could probably sell an entire lance of pre-painted miniatures for $30 to $40.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, well, that's FASA's fault really. IIRC, they sold metal mini rights to Ral Parta-now-Ironwind Metals. Permanently. FASA had more enthusiasm than business sense perhaps.

As for making plastic minis, as i understand it, that is capital intensive and requires good contacts, neither of which CGL really has. Though should the new box set work out, this may change. But i don't think it will with new minis alone.

But i got a feeling they aren't really interested anyway, given the way BT has been stuck in place for years, with IlClan announced (along with bunch of other things like still missing record sheets for TRO Prototypes) and no movement whatsoever happening until this year, perhaps. Only promises, no concrete results.
They should look into kickstarting a new era of btech. Other companies are doing it, the folks behind Heavy Gear have successfully funded tons of new plastic mini productions due to multiple kickstarters. The lance boxes they did were half hearted attempts to do their own miniatures, and still dealing with using very old and ugly mech minis when the market is so different now.

I don't know what's going on at CGL, but they can't even be arsed to have a bunch of t-shirts or posters available for sale on their store. Hell, the only posters of Battletech you can get these days are secondhand leftovers from the 90's. And even CGL's own PDFs or ePubs are missing from their own official store, while Drivethrurpg and other third-party stores have these available for sale. There's also a whole bunch of dead links on the official site with Battlecorps completely gone.

From a production perspective, it seems like CGL is mismanaged in the limited amount of products they are offering to people who otherwise would be more than willing to shell out money for merchandise and so forth. Maybe they simply are blocked by In Media Res / Topps in terms of legal stuff, but they somehow still manage to sell posters and t-shirts at the conventions they go to, so I am not sure if it's legal stuff that's blocking them.

More and more it seems like it's a company operating out of someone's garage that somehow is handling a premier boardgame universe from the 80's. Although they have a lot of veterans and talent working there, it still seems very scattered, mishandled, and under-staffed.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Final mission question:

I ran
Kintaro/King Crab/Highlander/Highlander (replacing one Highlander for Kamea's Atlas)and cakewalked it. All objectives complete, every enemy dead, no structural damage across either mission except for deliberate overheat damage.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
I don't know what's going on at CGL, but they can't even be arsed to have a bunch of t-shirts or posters available for sale on their store. Hell, the only posters of Battletech you can get these days are secondhand leftovers from the 90's. And even CGL's own PDFs or ePubs are missing from their own official store, while Drivethrurpg and other third-party stores have these available for sale. There's also a whole bunch of dead links on the official site with Battlecorps completely gone.

From a production perspective, it seems like CGL is mismanaged in the limited amount of products they are offering to people who otherwise would be more than willing to shell out money for merchandise and so forth. Maybe they simply are blocked by In Media Res / Topps in terms of legal stuff, but they somehow still manage to sell posters and t-shirts at the conventions they go to, so I am not sure if it's legal stuff that's blocking them.
This feels like it's been Battletech's infinite curse, a whole bunch of really dumb and mismanaged legal crap that keeps them from expanding. I'm glad this game was received so well and I hope they don't squander this momentum going forward.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't drop my AC20 because AC20+++ = 120 damage, +20 stab...so nice

Know that feeling. I even added a +3 to hit (balistic) module to my Atlas to make that thing a bit more valid. It doesn't make sense from a weight/damage perspective, but I like big cannons.
Must be my Warhammer 40k Imperial Army Tabletop heritage.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
This feels like it's been Battletech's infinite curse, a whole bunch of really dumb and mismanaged legal crap that keeps them from expanding. I'm glad this game was received so well and I hope they don't squander this momentum going forward.

I was super optimistic a year ago when HBS launched the Battletechgear.com crowdfunding and the Unseen (or Reseen) were brought back across the boardgame, HBS' game, and Mechwarrior: Online.

Then, battletechgear.com turned out to be a failure (imo, due to over-priced products and horribly short timing), and the Reseen brought Harmony Gold back from the grave to copyright-troll CGL, HBS, and PGI, which now have an ongoing legal case that only PGI were willing to take a stand in.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
I have embraced the dedicated LRM and SRM mechs. Seriously thinking about having 2 SRM mechs in my lance know.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I know this is off topic but since there're lots of Battletech fans here I'll ask:
How is Mechwarrior Online? Is it enjoyable without spending half a billion on micro transactions?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I was super optimistic a year ago when HBS launched the Battletechgear.com crowdfunding and the Unseen (or Reseen) were brought back across the boardgame, HBS' game, and Mechwarrior: Online.

Then, battletechgear.com turned out to be a failure (imo, due to over-priced products and horribly short timing), and the Reseen brought Harmony Gold back from the grave to copyright-troll CGL, HBS, and PGI, which now have an ongoing legal case that only PGI were willing to take a stand in.

They can't even get a simple small book out, so many products are continually delayed, and when they do score a success in a product launch, they seem to screw it up as well or fail to properly support it.

Heck I remember a couple years ago it was day 1 of Gencon, and they had sold out of all their big released product, so they were spending a small fortune to express more materials to the con. The money they spent probably killed any profit they might have done, but mismanaged for sure.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this is off topic but since there're lots of Battletech fans here I'll ask:
How is Mechwarrior Online? Is it enjoyable without spending half a billion on micro transactions?
There is a MWO thread, link the OT.

MWO is weird. Mechanically, it is very good. 'Mech moving and shooting feels good (jumping aside, which is really barely hovering), and the game is rather tactical with its one life per round system in normal matchmaking games.
There is a wide variety of 'Mechs and builds, not all really meta-viable but as long as you're good pilot, you can make even experimental fits to work. Compared to an average online game, there is surprising amount of skill required.
It is pretty good Mechwarrior in this sense.
First 25 games bring a lot of money in, so you can buy and equip a couple of 'Mechs pretty easily, though without forking over real money, you're limited to four 'Mechs plus rotating sample 'Mechs (you can't unlock XP-locked stuff for them).

But then there's the ancillary stuff. New 'Mechs are expensive in real money, the game's balancing is slow and awkward, it is pretty ugly despite CryEngine 3, there's a lot of hit box dissonance in maps, map quality ranges from bad to mediocre at best, voting systems are horrible, game modes all devolve into death matches in practice because of poor map design and poor mode design and systems, UI is awkward, promised system upgrades are continually delayed or cancelled. Among great many other things.

It is weird. I call it good bad game, or perhaps bad good game. Since it is free, you're not really losing anything by trying it. Just keep your expectations in check.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA

Yeah I was reading I'll on the recent Harmony Gold stuff because I've been out of the Battletech scene since Dark Ages.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Starting the game with the followiing parameter will allow for G-Sync to work:

Does that fix this?

3c10ead4-6f76-4d80-aefc-807d53925b57.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The so-called Colossals, featured in MechWarrior Dark Age, are 125 to 135 ton superheavies that date from 3130s and 3140s in the Dark Age. Tripod industrial 'Mechs actually can be built circa 3025 but aren't really used.
Superheavy 'Mechs themselves are only "invented" during the Jihad in 3070s, the first being the Omega, which isn't that great all things considered (evidently a prototype, for it used single heat sinks in a time when doubles are the norm).

Just going to say that I also greatly prefer Alex's mech designs and that I also got into the series waaaay back with Mechwarrior 2 and Mech Commander.

They're never happening. Quad mechs are impossible to implement in MWO and HBS is not developing the assets for them (in fact, doing so would be so costly that I'm pretty sure an HBS dev has gone on record saying "fuck you" to quad mechs).

Ah what a shame. I imagine they would have looked pretty cool. Thanks for the answers anyways.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah what a shame. I imagine they would have looked pretty cool. Thanks for the answers anyways.
The miniatures (50 dollars a piece, since they're gigantic, also unpainted and unassembled but that's the the norm relaly)) most certainly do look nice:
The Ares: http://camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/7202
The Poseidon: http://camospecs.com/Miniature/Details/7223/poseidon-psd-v2

But basically, this game, its DLC or expansions most certainly won't feature any 'Mechs not in MWO. I reckon there's chance for other 'Mechs in sequels as there are some they'd like to have apparently, like the Hatchetman, if they expand art team, but i still wouldn't rate that high.
Unfortunately there seems to be great dislike for quads for no good reason, so even if tripods were available, i assume the dislike would extend to them. Personally i really like the tripods, minus the rules for them being adapted wrong from how the tripods were portrayed in MWDA.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018

And this curse even extends into the video games:

The Crescent Hawk games were published by Westwood Studios / Infocom,
then Activision published Mechwarrior 1 and 2, which gave birth to the monumental critical and financial success of the MW2 trilogy that made a huge impact on the games industry spawning multiple mech sims in the mid to late 90s,
then Microprose acquired the license to help FASA and ultimately Zipper develop Mechwarrior 3 and Mechcommander 1
then Microsoft acquired FASA and the license to develop Mechcommander 2, and Mechwarrior 4 trilogy before putting the IP in the grave

So now you have a license that spans multiple developers and multiple publishers with the current one (Microsoft) not even bothering to do anything about re-releasing the old games, despite the series being the highest requested series on GOG apparently: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#order=votes_total

Well, at least I'm happy about this new game and what HBS have been doing, along with the moderate success of MW:O by PGI.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I have embraced the dedicated LRM and SRM mechs. Seriously thinking about having 2 SRM mechs in my lance know.
As long as the stability system works the way it does, LRM/SRM boats will be nuts. I think every mech takes the same amount of stab damage before falling over? (With different thresholds for Unsteady?) Which is, frankly, insane.

They should tack a mech's tonnage onto the existing stability bar (I think it's 100?) and go from there.

Missile boats, stability system, Tactics 9 called shots ... RIP to the AI. Also stability abuse and Tactics 9 lets you save all your Morale for Vigilance, the stronger of the two abilities.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
I should really try MW:O again, I fired it up once with a very old computer at the time and it was terrible to play. Not sure how much arena deathmatch excited me, but I guess it would mostly be to try out my HOTAS on a modernish mech game (please be good new Mechwarrior game).

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they start to introduce some kind of cross promotion between MW5, MWO and Battletech at some point. Its all one universe after all and they share assets already, so giving away a few free mechs for owning each game should be a no-brainer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they start to introduce some kind of cross promotion between MW5, MWO and Battletech at some point. Its all one universe after all and they share assets already, so giving away a few free mechs for owning each game should be a no-brainer.
Well, MW5 is a solo/co-op game only, they will undoubtedly direct MP players to MWO.

Nov 1, 2017
It's kind of sad that due to either lack of money and resources, incompetence or a number of factors prevent Battletech from getting the full love it deserves. As we can see with this game there is an audience and a supportive one, sadly they don't get much quality to support in the franchise that's clearly worth it.

In game isn't there a few mechs that are not actually MWO styled? I noted there was one mech that had a very old school looking design, only saw it once so far, want to say it was an Atlas or Zeus but it had a certain tiled body you saw on some older designs.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There is a MWO thread, link the OT.

MWO is weird. Mechanically, it is very good. 'Mech moving and shooting feels good (jumping aside, which is really barely hovering), and the game is rather tactical with its one life per round system in normal matchmaking games.
There is a wide variety of 'Mechs and builds, not all really meta-viable but as long as you're good pilot, you can make even experimental fits to work. Compared to an average online game, there is surprising amount of skill required.
It is pretty good Mechwarrior in this sense.
First 25 games bring a lot of money in, so you can buy and equip a couple of 'Mechs pretty easily, though without forking over real money, you're limited to four 'Mechs plus rotating sample 'Mechs (you can't unlock XP-locked stuff for them).

But then there's the ancillary stuff. New 'Mechs are expensive in real money, the game's balancing is slow and awkward, it is pretty ugly despite CryEngine 3, there's a lot of hit box dissonance in maps, map quality ranges from bad to mediocre at best, voting systems are horrible, game modes all devolve into death matches in practice because of poor map design and poor mode design and systems, UI is awkward, promised system upgrades are continually delayed or cancelled. Among great many other things.

It is weird. I call it good bad game, or perhaps bad good game. Since it is free, you're not really losing anything by trying it. Just keep your expectations in check.

Thanks for the feedback. I just looked at the store prices. Marauder IIC Ultimate Pack. $70.00
Almost cancelled my download.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MWO Hero 'Mechs are the only ones that can't be bought for C-bills, but they ultimately don't bring anything but some different hardpoint configurations and c-bill and XP-boost, you don't need those really.

The only real money you may need need to spend is for mech bays, and possibly the premium time to boost XP and c-bill gains.

Oct 25, 2017
MWO Hero 'Mechs are the only ones that can't be bought for C-bills, but they ultimately don't bring anything but some different hardpoint configurations and c-bill and XP-boost, you don't need those really.

The only real money you may need need to spend is for mech bays, and possibly the premium time to boost XP and c-bill gains.

For the new Solaris expansion, there's supposed to be a spectator mode to watch real-time matches. Do you know how to access that? I tried the other night and couldn't figure it out. I'm also wondering if it gives you a bird's eye view option or if you're just stuck watching from inside a competitor's cockpit. I'm really hoping there's an option for the former.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It's kind of sad that due to either lack of money and resources, incompetence or a number of factors prevent Battletech from getting the full love it deserves. As we can see with this game there is an audience and a supportive one, sadly they don't get much quality to support in the franchise that's clearly worth it.

In game isn't there a few mechs that are not actually MWO styled? I noted there was one mech that had a very old school looking design, only saw it once so far, want to say it was an Atlas or Zeus but it had a certain tiled body you saw on some older designs.

All of the mechs are supplied by the good graces of PGI.

Tyler Carpenter has expressed a desire for some non-MW:O mechs, such as the Hatchetman. But I'd honestly prefer to just use the already created MW:O assets and spend more time on other things that are more important than the fever dreams of an axe-wielding mech or quad mech.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the new Solaris expansion, there's supposed to be a spectator mode to watch real-time matches. Do you know how to access that? I tried the other night and couldn't figure it out. I'm also wondering if it gives you a bird's eye view option or if you're just stuck watching from inside a competitor's cockpit. I'm really hoping there's an option for the former.
I've no idea. I haven't logged in to MWO for a while (except to get the free Uziel), and i've never cared about spectator modes one bit, so i have no idea how those work.

That said, i assume there is no bird eye view because the maps are likely have areas that aren't visible from cockpits and aren't intended to be accessible either.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a range indicator during battle? Or a mod that enables it? I mean what good is "min 90, max 360" if I can't see how far the enemy is away?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a range indicator during battle? Or a mod that enables it? I mean what good is "min 90, max 360" if I can't see how far the enemy is away?

There's a range indicator every time you move a mech, before you confirm movement. The firing arcs display the ranges of selected weapons.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
All of the mechs are supplied by the good graces of PGI.

Tyler Carpenter has expressed a desire for some non-MW:O mechs, such as the Hatchetman. But I'd honestly prefer to just use the already created MW:O assets and spend more time on other things that are more important than the fever dreams of an axe-wielding mech or quad mech.
As much as I'd love to see quads and the Hatchetman in, I kind of agree with you here. I'm getting to the point in the game where I feel like I have to start exploiting the changes to the systems because I don't like fighting 8 mechs at the same time.

Nov 1, 2017
The final missions were a lot easier than i was expecting, my total tonnage was 280 and 310 (neither particularly cheezy) and I absolutely waltzed it, still thought the game was great overall though, exactly what I was hoping for after all these years of playing megamek. I want to put it down and come back in a few months to see what they do with it and see if it feels different .

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'd love to see quads and the Hatchetman in, I kind of agree with you here. I'm getting to the point in the game where I feel like I have to start exploiting the changes to the systems because I don't like fighting 8 mechs at the same time.
It occurs to me that hatchets could be relatively easy to add to the game. 'Mechs with arms and hands could have a hardpoint for them. They'd need some modification, but probably not impossible task. And given the camera distance and stuff, the attachment could be perhaps even quite sloppy (eg just clip it into the fist) and look acceptable.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It occurs to me that hatchets could be relatively easy to add to the game. 'Mechs with arms and hands could have a hardpoint for them. They'd need some modification, but probably not impossible task. And given the camera distance and stuff, the attachment could be perhaps even quite sloppy (eg just clip it into the fist) and look acceptable.

I know it's a bit hypocritical of me to say, but a hatchet on a mech looks silly. I know, hands on Atlas and all that, but an axe or a hatchet is taking it too far for me and crosses into ridiculous mecha for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a bit hypocritical of me to say, but a hatchet on a mech looks silly. I know, hands on Atlas and all that, but an axe or a hatchet is taking it too far for me and crosses into ridiculous mecha for me.
They're awesome!
Interestingly, canon notes they're mostly shaped, integrated clubs, they don't really have sharp edge or anything.
In tabletop BT, 'Mechs can rip up trees or girders and use them as clubs but unfortunately they're riddled with artificial drawbacks that make them mostly worthless. Always loved that aspect though, and one reason i don't care for MWO models, they don't look they're capable of that.

That is one of my reasons for opposition to walking tank aesthetic actually. Why even have arms and stuff if you go for walking tank looks? Since the 'Mechs have arms, walking tank aesthetic looks really weird on them.
There are canonical 'Mechs that actually have sorta walking tank look, usually armless. They look OK, and i reckon Alex's art for them, should there be that, would look good (but not necessarily, since he has habit of removing all rounded parts and add unnecessary detail, like happened with the Raven).