• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

The lesbians who feel pressured to have sex and relationships with trans women

Some lesbians say they have been called transphobic for not wanting sex and relationships with trans women.

No-one should be coerced into sex with someone they don't want to for whatever reason, but the basis of the article is so fucking shoddy. "Although there is currently little data in the sexual orientation of trans women, she believes most are female- attracted because they are biologically male and most males are attracted to women". No data, so we'll just go on some randomers gut feeling then? Cool.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Britain as a whole really likes dog piling on the oppressed. The number of tv shows we have looking into the lives of people who barely can afford to eat is like some modern human zoo. Now some of the most oppressed and vulnerable in our society are attacked and it's not even mildly discouraged.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Hard not to get down about honestly. It's so relentless. The BBC are still seen by many as that impartial platform and they know this. People will read this and take them at their word and it will only make things harder for us, in a system that's already so actively against us. I don't even know what can be done to stem this tide of hatred from the BBC as it seems like we're only ever a week away from one new article or another aiming to poison the mind of the general public against us.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Britain as a whole really likes dog piling on the oppressed. The number of tv shows we have looking into the lives of people who barely can afford to eat is like some modern human zoo. Now some of the most oppressed and vulnerable in our society are attacked and it's not even mildly discouraged.
Oppression and then talking like we're the best is kind of our thing. The UK is a terrible place.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
The BBC is sinking lower and lower each day.

On the subject of the article they keep referencing genital preference being transphobic. I am kinda curious if there are any trans friendly websites where I can read about this from their perspective? I googled it but it mostly came back with some suspect sources.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
The local rag is full of it, sadly it's clickbait and distracts from the actual systemic issues which are largely caused by those in charge.

Also F the BBC of course, glad I haven't had a TV license (And thus no live TV, BBCI) for around a decade now.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
This.

TV shows like Jeremy Kyle or any number of the shows about people in council estates or low income families, purely as entertainment.

The UK has so many issues and a lot of it stems from a serf mentality bred into large parts of the population, especially in England, combined with a media telling you that you are both exceptional but any changes or progress is an attack on your exceptionalism. An entire population who have been gaslit to punch down and then claim the people they're punching down on are the elite.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The local rag is full of it, sadly it's clickbait and distracts from the actual systemic issues which are largely caused by those in charge.

Also F the BBC of course, glad I haven't had a TV license (And thus no live TV, BBCI) for around a decade now.
This so much. Funnily enough a minister said today that pay rises won't keep up with inflation and BBC decide "let's marginalise a marginalised group further" to deflect it

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017

Channel 5 is pretty much the "haha poor people" channel.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017

Channel 5 seems to be full of programming where baliffs and cops are heroes.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If your headline and subhead both include the word "some" then you should be laughed at by any reputable editor. I'm an editor myself (of a non-news publication) and I'd never let those standards of sourcing fly - especially when they relate to such an inflammatory and unnecessary article.

Or, to put it another way, the BBC should be ashamed. Again.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I guess this is what they meant by saying they were now going to "balanced" with LGBT articles? This is the hard hitting journalism we can be proud of our tax money funding.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
It should be noted that the Dave Chapelle story is front page news on the BBC News website this morning, but the article has no view points or arguments from the trans side, or the LGBTQ advocacy environment.

It is straight up taking an anti-trans side too.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely disgusting. This along with that bullshit anti trans Sounds podcast the other week makes me think the BBC is on full on attack mode

Oct 30, 2017
There definitely feels like an undercurrent in the UK at the moment of anti-Trans, and indeed "anti-woke", anti-leftist, anti-anything not suited to the Tory faithful tbh.

It's no surprise the BBC has started pulling this shit since the Tories have basically gutted the organisation and installed a propagandist as controller in that Sharp bloke. It towed the centre ground to the detriment of a lot of it's reporting previously, with it's "impartial balanced" bullshit giving voice to fringe groups that deserved no such thing, but it's gone full on authoritarian in the last year.

It's only going to get worse.

Can't blame Europe anymore. They need to line up the next set of boogeymen to scare people.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
I still hear people describe BBC News as slanted left. It's maddening.

The trans issue is across party politics in the UK.

And the BBC is odd, some think its left leaning, some think its right leaning.

As for the article, its appalling.

cut

Jennie is a lesbian woman. She says she is only sexually attracted to women who are biologically female and have vaginas. She therefore only has sex and relationships with women who are biologically female.
Jennie doesn't think this should be controversial, but not everyone agrees. She has been described as transphobic, a genital fetishist, a pervert and a "terf" - a trans exclusionary radical feminist.

cut

Well done jennie, that's absolutely fine. Absolutely no on is arguing that she should be pressured into having sex with anyone. It's beyond ridiculous.

The whole article is not based in reality, it's just baiting. Its shameful for the BCC in publishing this rubbish.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I still haven't had a response to my complaint about their last article. They are full on attacking the trans community now, no doubt. This is their agenda now

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously despise that it's impossible to stop contibuting funding to the BBC's hateful actions without having no TV access at all in this country, I can easily do without it and could even convince my parents to stop supporting the BBC, but they're too old to ever stop watching normal TV channels. This country has become pratically unbearable to live in.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Don't pay for TV licenses, people. Absolutely sickening, there's a clear anti-trans agenda at the Beeb.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Genital fetishist. Wow.

BBC keeps winning. Honestly disappointing that it's the only good radio news where I am otherwise I'd shut it off completely.

OP
OP
electroshockwave
Oct 27, 2017
And the BBC is odd, some think its left leaning, some think its right leaning.
Some people say the world is flat, some people say it's spherical. Who's to say, really?
Robbie Gibb, Theresa Mays former director of communications, is a non-executive director that tried to block the appointment of someone to executive news editor because it was felt she wouldn't be favourable enough to the government. Tim Davie, former conservative party councillor is director general. Richard Sharp, chairman of the BBC, has donated over ÂŁ400,000 to the conservative party. Nick Robinson, Tory boy. Etc. Fuck, it's a real mystery where the BBCs biases might lie.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously despise that it's impossible to stop contibuting funding to the BBC's hateful actions without having no TV access at all in this country, I can easily do without it and could even convince my parents to stop supporting the BBC, but they're too old to ever stop watching normal TV channels. This country has become pratically unbearable to live in.
You can watch catch up on 4OD (And 5 and 3 but they are shite). Plus YouTube I don't miss it that much (Was kinda nice when was in a hotel last weekend having random shit on show but not worth the price or giving them my money).

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
There definitely feels like an undercurrent in the UK at the moment of anti-Trans, and indeed "anti-woke", anti-leftist, anti-anything not suited to the Tory faithful tbh.

It's no surprise the BBC has started pulling this shit since the Tories have basically gutted the organisation and installed a propagandist as controller in that Sharp bloke. It towed the centre ground to the detriment of a lot of it's reporting previously, with it's "impartial balanced" bullshit giving voice to fringe groups that deserved no such thing, but it's gone full on authoritarian in the last year.

I'm not saying you're wrong that the Tories have tried to influence the BBC, especially on culture war stuff, because I think that's true.

But regardless of the government's actions I am pretty sure we would have seen parts of the BBC (as an insititution its not a monolith) go down this anti-Trans rabbit hole, because the primary driver of the rising anti trans sentiments in the British press and media is bigoted journalists radicalising their journalist friends, many of whom are otherwise liberal on social issues. The government is playing a part, but I wouldn't even say it is the biggest reason.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
We have enough problems without some celebrity and media punching us down what feels like daily now. :( Where's the impartiality BBC!?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Utterly awful article, and it's desperately bleak to see the BBC get so TERFy. They're so influential and viewed as impartial so it's gonna have way more impact.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Some people say the world is flat, some people say it's spherical. Who's to say, really?
Robbie Gibb, Theresa Mays former director of communications, is a non-executive director that tried to block the appointment of someone to executive news editor because it was felt she wouldn't be favourable enough to the government. Tim Davie, former conservative party councillor is director general. Richard Sharp, chairman of the BBC, has donated over ÂŁ400,000 to the conservative party. Nick Robinson, Tory boy. Etc. Fuck, it's a real mystery where the BBCs biases might lie.

Yeah Robbie Gibb is a fucking maniac and Andrew Neil worked under him. There are some centrist lefties at the beeb, but when you think of the big names they have nearly all been tories, Paxman etc. This shift is happening under right wing leadership and unfortunately there's a group of normally left wing people that are more than happy to be used by them to spread their shitty, short-sighted message.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Its not an undercurrent - the public is openly split on transgender acceptance and that's the reality of it.

Yes there is still homophobia and racism, but if you conduct an opinion poll, the vast majority of people at least have the decency to say its wrong (regardless of what they secretly feel). Transgender rights and acceptance is still such a nascent mainstream topic that polls are pretty split, so its going to take time to tip the scales. Its why we see such a gulf of opinion between online/twitter/forum discussion and the real world.

Don't pay for TV licenses, people. Absolutely sickening, there's a clear anti-trans agenda at the Beeb.
Don't fall for Tory tactics. Whenever they're in power, they gut and install people at institutions and social services they don't like to deliberately anger supporters so it rots from the inside.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
This is insane - even taking the horrific transphobia out of the equation, this flimsy basis for an article and the numerous issues with it would raise questions at a student paper, let alone the BBC.

I actually had to check if Points of View still existed - it'll be interesting to see if the response to this features at all.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
As a non-binary person myself, its important to keep reminding everyone that yes, the BBC are awful in being a mouthpiece for TERFs and bothsiding arguments that shouldn't be.

But to keep referring to this as just a Tory problem is ignoring the deep seated cross-party anti-trans movement in the uk

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
As a non-binary person myself, its important to keep reminding everyone that yes, the BBC are awful in being a mouthpiece for TERFs and bothsiding arguments that shouldn't be.

But to keep referring to this as just a Tory problem is ignoring the deep seated cross-party anti-trans movement in the uk

It's not just a right wing issue, but it's a right wing anti-woke agenda(almost government policy) that's turning the BBC on to this course. The fact some leftwingers are more than happy to go along with that doesn't change it.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's a tory tactic, when the BBC publish articles like this I don't see what's wrong with wanting rid of it.
Because the BBC institution is much larger and more important than a couple tabloid writers the Tories have installed at the online copy-desk, who's job it is to anger the "woke".

If you're generally not a fan of the BBC at large, or its funding method, I can totally understand arguments against it, but not for bait like this.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
This is the same organisation that were running BBC Bitesize articles - meant to educate kids - on the positives of Climate Change.

Oct 30, 2017
On the subject of the article they keep referencing genital preference being transphobic. I am kinda curious if there are any trans friendly websites where I can read about this from their perspective? I googled it but it mostly came back with some suspect sources.
I read this column a while ago:

I'm an old, out and proud lesbian. Am I transphobic if I don't want to have sex with trans women?

https://xtramagazine.com/love-sex/lesbian-trans-women-attraction-179626

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember when BBC was peak journalism? lol

Fucking tragic