Deleted member 14192

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
_110254694_brazilplayersreacttolosing7-1togermany.jpg

In the latest in a series looking back at some of the biggest sporting moments of the decade, chief football writer Phil McNulty revisits the night of 8 July 2014, when hosts Brazil were humbled 7-1 in the World Cup semi-finals by eventual champions Germany.

The theme of redemption was the thread running through the 2014 World Cup in Brazil - the chance to heal a wound that had scarred a sporting nation for 64 years.
Despite all their success, Brazil had never fully recovered from the loss to Uruguay in their own iconic Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro in the 1950 final.

With the tournament's return, this was the summer when football was going to dance to the samba beat with a sixth World Cup triumph - but, significantly, this one would be won in front of Brazil's own fans in their own football temple. It really was coming home.

Instead, on a balmy July night in Belo Horizonte, the city built on hills, a drama unfolded that will never be forgotten by anyone who witnessed it, whether in the sprawling Estadio Mineirao or among the millions watching elsewhere in the vast country.

And for this observer, if there is one occasion to take away and keep forever, it is the night Germany inflicted a 7-1 World Cup semi-final humiliation on the hosts, their first competitive home defeat in 39 years.

No-one saw defeat on such a scale. Every Brazilian you met felt coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, who led the nation to World Cup glory in 2002, and his team were guided by destiny.

How wrong they were.
Click the link for the full text: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50868769

I will never forget this game and the 2005 CL final.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Of course it is. Nothing else comes close.

Luiz with the worst performance of a football player since Ali Dia.

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
This and Leicester winning the league are up there.

But watching this live was absolutely hillarious, a top form germany against a team on paper that should have put up an excellent performance, just absolutely collapse.

Oct 27, 2017
It was amazing to watch. Germany were just relentless.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell us how some random basketball game was better or something.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This was just next level. At some point we just felt bad for Brazil, it was that horrible.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Slightly biased but... oh well.

But yeah the Germany-Brazil game is a good pick.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
This is def one of funniest of the decade , the salt and the memes that came out of this was hilarious

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Watched it in a bar in Greece, full of Germans. Needless to say that I, as a Brazilian, was dead silent the whole match. Went home, couldn't believe it, watched the replay of the whole match again. Went to sleep. The worst thing was listening to my girlfriend, who doesnt care at all about football, tell me "dont be like that, it doesnt change anything in your life, it is just a game". Grrr.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That Germany-Brazil first half was unbelievable.

Also, Netherlands 5-1 dismantling of Spain and Van Persie's flying header goal in 2014.

Leicester City winning the league, at initial odds of 5,000-1 and one of if not the greatest upset in major sports history ever.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this one brought back memories. A friend and I just happened to be eating in a brazilian cafe when this game was on. We had only planned on being there for a bit, but ended up staying for most of the game. Half of the cafe was in tears by the time we left. I'll never forget that insanity.

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible moment, to get beaten like that in their own yard. People's reactions in the stadium was amazing too.

wNto1Nx.jpg

The most funniest thing about that game was the German players's reaction after they conceded one goal - they were livid.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Although I just about agree with the article's author that nobody foresaw the scale of the defeat, Brazil in that World Cup were always heading towards being shown up. The results to that point had hidden their fragility - they won their group based on a flattering win against Croatia, a draw against Mexico, and a big win over Cameroon who were already out. They progressed with a penalty shootout win over Chile (who looked like the better side for most of that match) and then a quarter final win against Colombia (which, to be fair to Brazil, was a genuinely good win over a good side).

They looked shaky for a lot of those matches and I know I was far from the only person who was thinking that a truly good team would tear them to pieces. It was still a little bit of a surprise to see them lose 7-1 but I wouldn't have been shocked before that match if someone had predicted 4-0 to Germany.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
As little as I knew about football at the time I knew this was huge, local news channels were going to local Brazilian restaurants full of people the day after in shock, tears, and despair...you'd think brazil was just wiped off the face of the earth!

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I mean in terms of international impact not many things come close to the Brazil - Germany match. For me personally my favourite moments of the decade are almost all in the AFL but they mean fuck all internationally. Same thing with the NFL.
I know but the casual sports fan is likely to know NFL, international sports on paper is really great but its one of the worst, soft marketing, you can tell me its the biggest and I'll agree with you. There's plenty of sports that should be propelled into mainstream but my argument is this is the first time I'm hearing about this and you're telling me its the greatest moment ever? I don't believe that.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'd have had some sympathy if they hadn't acted like Neymar had died in the build up and if the game wasn't taking place in Brazil Germany would definitely have run up a cricket score against them. The only one who didn't get the memo to ease off in the second half was Schurrle.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yes it is indeed. Watched it live on tv and couldn't believe what's happening lol.

^^ Only US people watch NFL, so if the statement is greatest US sports moments of the decade then maybe superbowl thing applies.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know but the casual sports fan is likely to know NFL, international sports on paper is really great but its one of the worst, soft marketing, you can tell me its the biggest and I'll agree with you. There's plenty of sports that should be propelled into mainstream but my argument is this is the first time I'm hearing about this and you're telling me its the greatest moment ever? I don't believe that.

So what Superbowl moment this decade is bigger than this?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
...this is the first time I'm hearing about this and you're telling me its the greatest moment ever? I don't believe that.
Germany's 7-1 rout of hosts Brazil in the semifinals got an in-home average audience of 390.2 million viewers. That doesn't count the people watching on phones and hearing about it after. It was a very big deal, and that's about 4x as many watched the most recent Superbowl final.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I don't think the OP article claims it's the greatest moment ever, it calls it one of the greatest sporting moments of the decade, of which it certainly is. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it before, it was pretty massive in the news cycle even here in Aus where Soccer is a thing but nowhere near a lot of other parts of the world. I mean the reactions became memes, for an outside observer the game is hilarious to watch.

I agree that there are a lot of sports that deserve to be propelled into the international mainstream like Football/Soccer is, I personally think NFL is a lot of fun to watch and I think our own AFL is a nearly perfect sport that mixes the best parts of several others but unfortunately...

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
75% of the world doesn't know what the Super Bowl is.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was unbelievable!

Incredible moment, to get beaten like that in their own yard. People's reactions in the stadium was amazing too.

wNto1Nx.jpg

The most funniest thing about that game was the German players's reaction after they conceded one goal - they were livid.
His name was Clovis Fernandes and it seems he was so famous in Brazil.

fb8l_kkklkvy.jpg

Sadly he died in 2015. :(