• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The best tihng Facebook can do with Beat Saber's trajectory is pour money into official song packs and be hands off for literally everything else.

Beat Saber is the best VR game on the market and I do not trust them not to fuck it up.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bet facebook is learning and mirroring what Microsoft is doing with Minecraft: buy it because it is an evergreen game which will sell to new players, as they invest the money to improve the game to retain the current players.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm still very skeptical of the choice not to get licensed, well known music. I think the game could have been HUGE.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
more or less yes

also he said he was going to keep working on it, but then didnt (but still makes a bunch of money on his patreon selling the more detailed data from the new, worse algorithm, more than $14 thousand a month), and now he works for epic as their "director of publishing strategy" (i think thats what its called) so he kind of abandoned it anyway (which for the record i dont blame him for, even though it kind of sounds like i am earlier in this sentence)

many months ago valve said they were "soon" going to provide more data to essentially make much more accurate estimations of sales, but knowing valve that will come in something like 3 years

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
more or less yes

also he said he was going to keep working on it, but then didnt (but still makes a bunch of money on his patreon selling the more detailed data from the new, worse algorithm, more than $14 thousand a month), and now he works for epic as their "director of publishing strategy" (i think thats what its called) so he kind of abandoned it anyway (which for the record i dont blame him for, even though it kind of sounds like i am earlier in this sentence)

many months ago valve said they were "soon" going to provide more data to essentially make much more accurate estimations of sales, but knowing valve that will come in something like 3 years
It seems that that was something we misunderstood and that Valve meant better tools for developers to see engagement between different methods of PR / clicks, rather than make a "Steam Spy-Valve edition". Cant find where they say that but I think it was in an interview this year.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Is it the first VR million seller?
I love it, even though the Facebook acquisition worries me.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm really not into song packs since they amount to mostly stuff I don't want. I would love to be able to purchase individual popular songs/levels though. I think they would get way more revenue this way.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
It seems that that was something we misunderstood and that Valve meant better tools for developers to see engagement between different methods of PR / clicks, rather than make a "Steam Spy-Valve edition". Cant find where they say that but I think it was in an interview this year.
i tried to word it carefully because i remember headlines going nuts about 'steam making their own steam spy' when they barely said something that maybe could be interpreted as a different api or something super simple. i think the words 'data pipelines opening up' were used, whatever that means

i hadn't heard that it might be only for devs but that wouldn't be super surprising I suppose

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
i tried to word it carefully because i remember headlines going nuts about 'steam making their own steam spy' when they barely said something that maybe could be interpreted as a different api or something super simple. i think the words 'data pipelines opening up' were used, whatever that means

i hadn't heard that it might be only for devs but that wouldn't be super surprising I suppose
Yeah, i also fell into the hype but rereading the statement after they explained it (and the improvements on data management on Steam from devs in the last year), you can notice what they meant.

Still, yeah, SteamSpy numbers are quite off on the regular and the fact that he is still having a Patreon for them (while working for a competitor) just gives me a bad taste in the mouth.

About Beat Saber, great game and great modding community, so the success is deserved.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this game is still printing money.
Why wouldn't it be? more and more people are getting VR headsets and the pitch "it's like guitar hero but instead of a guitar you are cutting blocks with light sabers" excites a lot of people lol
and it's a very low barrier of entry to have someone try. Even people who don't normally play games can figure out how to swing a sword at a block :P

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My music > what someone else thinks is good music. Especially when we're talking about exercising.
Yup. I'm really not a fan of any of the music in Beat Saber, and probably would have stopped playing if custom songs weren't a thing. Though most of the custom songs are I've tried are not well designed, and the procedurally generated maps in Audio Shield are often better.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still very skeptical of the choice not to get licensed, well known music. I think the game could have been HUGE.
I don't think it was a choice, I think it was a "We're a small startup, we can't afford licensed, well known music". Once they started to get big, they were finally able to afford more commercial licenses. And I'd bet that's what Facebook is going to do now they own the company, pump it full of cash to get lots and lots of licensed music.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I do wish Beat Saber had a generate beatmap feature because quite honestly, the majority of the official Beat Saber songs are very not my style and the same goes for what the community makes. And then a large portion of the community made beatmaps for songs I like are pretty poorly done. That said, the stuff that is my style and is well done is just sublime. Back in my extensive Audiosurf days, being able to load in a CD and play through a whole album on 2 player mode with a friend was a real treat.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish Beat Saber had a generate beatmap feature because quite honestly, the majority of the official Beat Saber songs are very not my style and the same goes for what the community makes. And then a large portion of the community made beatmaps for songs I like are pretty poorly done. That said, the stuff that is my style and is well done is just sublime. Back in my extensive Audiosurf days, being able to load in a CD and play through a whole album on 2 player mode with a friend was a real treat.
a generate beatmap feature would likely work worse than the poorly done tracks.
that being said them having such a feature and linking it up with say spotify wouldn't be a bad thing, but I wouldn't use it.

my solution is going to be I'm just gonna eventually map songs I want to play myself lol.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
a generate beatmap feature would likely work worse than the poorly done tracks.

Complete baloney. Audiosurf was doing it halfway decently in 2008 and everybody loved it. Audioshield was very competent at giving you things to punch to the music. I think a company with financial backing from Facebook will be alright in making something that works decently. Beat Saber is more difficult in that it has aspects such as walls, bombs, and beat positions and directions to contend with, but something passable can definitely be done. Perhaps you underestimate how poorly laid a lot of handmade tracks are.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if I could get more rap on there I would be good, many of the songs sound the same and I get bored

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Complete baloney. Audiosurf was doing it halfway decently in 2008 and everybody loved it. Audioshield was very competent at giving you things to punch to the music. I think a company with financial backing from Facebook will be alright in making something that works decently. Beat Saber is more difficult in that it has aspects such as walls, bombs, and beat positions and directions to contend with, but something passable can definitely be done. Perhaps you underestimate how poorly laid a lot of handmade tracks are.
I mean. I'm sure there are plenty of terrible maps.
I don't know why you would ever install them though as the community to beat saber is amazing and it's very easy to find positively rated tracks which are all likely better than what an auto gen would feel like. (if you see a song with more thumbs down than up then just pretend it doesn't exist. it's really that easy :P aka for me the poorly done songs are the ones that are at a near equal ratio not the actual mostly negative ones. Obviously an autogen could do better than someone who spends 30 minutes throwing notes randomly around)

getting the notes on the right beat is only part of the battle in beat saber. Getting them to flow well is a completely different thing.
you might be able to design something decent, but I never found audiosurf to be satisfying with it's autogeneration.

I haven't tried audioshield yet, but if it's on par with audiosurf it would be utter rubbish compared to any decently done beat saber map.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know why you would ever install them though as the community to beat saber is amazing and it's very easy to find positively rated tracks which are all likely better than what an auto gen would feel like. (if you see a song with more thumbs down than up then just pretend it doesn't exist. it's really that easy :P aka for me the poorly done songs are the ones that are at a near equal ratio not the actual mostly negative ones. Obviously an autogen could do better than someone who spends 30 minutes throwing notes randomly around)

getting the notes on the right beat is only part of the battle in beat saber. Getting them to flow well is a completely different thing.
you might be able to design something decent, but I never found audiosurf to be satisfying with it's autogeneration.

I haven't tried audioshield yet, but if it's on par with audiosurf it would be utter rubbish compared to any decently done beat saber map.

You're close to understanding it. The majority of well made, highly rated tracks are not songs I care about. And then there are many instances where a song I'd like to play exists and seems competently mapped, but only exists on Expert+. I really can't understate the utility of just loading up an album and having a game to play while I listen to it.

Shield is definitely a better showcase of this than Surf because in Shield you're expected to hit things on beats as opposed to matching blocks which doesn't necessarily require you to do things rhythmically to still be fun.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It deserves it, best rhythm game ever made and one of the best VR games ever made

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are very few songs available for some genres, and the ones that exist often have only a few ratings. And some of the songs I've played that were highly rated by the community have some very unnatural movements with poor flow. And as Ionic mentioned, many of the songs I'm interested in, that are highly rated, are only available on Expert+, or the creator's "Hard" difficulty is significantly more difficult than Expert difficulty on the base songs.

I have definitely had a better experience with AudioShield than most of the levels in Beat Saber, largely due to being able to actually use music I like, and knowing the experience won't be complete garbage.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You're close to understanding it. The majority of well made, highly rated tracks are not songs I care about. And then there are many instances where a song I'd like to play exists and seems competently mapped, but only exists on Expert+. I really can't understate the utility of just loading up an album and having a game to play while I listen to it.

Shield is definitely a better showcase of this than Surf because in Shield you're expected to hit things on beats as opposed to matching blocks which doesn't necessarily require you to do things rhythmically to still be fun.
I mean, I said in my post " that being said them having such a feature and linking it up with say spotify wouldn't be a bad thing, but I wouldn't use it. "

aka I understand the appeal of such a generator if you really just want to listen to some of your music while doing something that gets you moving around.

and I do know the pain of a lot of songs being only expert+ that you would want to play. I can do expert just fine but most expert+ are beyond me so a lot of tracks I would want I can't play (at least not without no fail on)

I just don't trust an autosong generation method for something like beat saber. All it really takes is a handful of notes to be slightly off for me not to want to play a song in beat saber again. I doubt an autogen would be that good that I would enjoy it.

but again it would be a nice feature to add for people who are alright with just mediocrely done tracks as long as they are songs they love. (which I do have a couple like that on my list)

There are very few songs available for some genres, and the ones that exist often have only a few ratings. And some of the songs I've played that were highly rated by the community have some very unnatural movements with poor flow. And as Ionic mentioned, many of the songs I'm interested in, that are highly rated, are only available on Expert+, or the creator's "Hard" difficulty is significantly more difficult than Expert difficulty on the base songs.

I have definitely had a better experience with AudioShield than most of the levels in Beat Saber, largely due to being able to actually use music I like, and knowing the experience won't be complete garbage.

I can get that as the vast majority of the music in beat saber doesn't appeal to me either. But for me as long as the song is not complete garbage, having a well mapped track is vastly more important than it being a song I like.

isn't something I would ever put on my music playlist, but it's actually a lot of fun to play with faster speed clicked on (aka 130% speed)

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Waiting for a discount, specially if it includes the Imagine Dragons pack. I know the bundle itself is a bit discounted but I want a decent deal at least, been waiting for a long time and it never got a cent cheaper.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
hell yea.

Too bad AudioShield didn't reach this success level. My own music > curated music.
Audioshield has had API issues out the wazoo sadly. First it worked with Soundcloud, then Youtube, now nothing. Having autogenerated tracks was really amazing though, hopefully Beat Saber can have something like that in the future.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for a discount, specially if it includes the Imagine Dragons pack. I know the bundle itself is a bit discounted but I want a decent deal at least, been waiting for a long time and it never got a cent cheaper.
there's no real reason for them to discount beat saber. It's the go to VR game right now.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I got a question for everyone: I tried to disable updates to Beat Saber in order to not mess up my mods, but won't it just try to update once I launch it again? The problem isn't that custom songs continue to work, but that mods like the song browser keep breaking when the game updates so often. I've actually gotten disheartened from playing a few times because I could no longer sort the tracks the way I wanted to.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
One of those is me! Great game and one of my favorite VR titles so far. The game has some amazing mods for it too. Very well supported.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
If/when I get into VR, this will be one of the first game I buy for the fanmade charts of Konami music.