What is your favorite 2D Metroid title?

• Metroid (NES, 1986)

Votes: 12 0.9%
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus (GameBoy, 1991)

Votes: 19 1.4%
  • Super Metroid (SNES, 1994)

Votes: 723 54.4%
  • Metroid Fusion (GameBoy Advance, 2002)

Votes: 291 21.9%
  • Metroid: Zero Mission (GameBoy Advance, 2004)

Votes: 230 17.3%
  • Another Metroid 2 Remake (PC, 2016)

Votes: 15 1.1%
  • Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS, 2017)

Votes: 39 2.9%

• Total voters

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I like Metoid Fusion as a 2D action game too but ya'll are animals if you think it's better than Super Metroid.

When in the world over the last20 years did opinion on Fusion begin to shift so much? The backlash was pretty extreme when it first came out.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
It would be between AM2R and Super Metroid, but in the end I consider Super to be perfect while AM2R still has some flaws so I voted Super.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Definitely Zero Mission for me. It was my first Metroid so there might be some amount of nostalgia attached but I absolutely adore it.

Zero Mission>Fusion>AM2R>Super>Metroid II>Samus Returns>>>>>>>>>>>>>Metroid

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised Fusion is ahead of Zero Mission.
Maybe more people played it because it came out earlier in the GBAs life?
Didn't really like how linear it is.

For me it's a tie between Super and Zero Missionm, but I chose the latter because it has much more streamlined controls.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Super Metroid is great and genre-defining and an all-time classic and all that, but it kind of sucks to play. Samus' huge sprite and big, floaty jumps, combined with the lightning-quick enemies and the inaccessibility of missiles, mean that "optimal" play is just running through corridors while spamming your blaster and tanking hits.

On the other hand, it probably has the best sense of exploration and discovery in the series, which Fusion and Samus Returns lack due to their linearity and more predictable structure. So in the end, I guess I have to give it to Zero Mission? Zero Mission does everything really well, even if it isn't necessarily the best at any individual element. I haven't replayed it in forever though, and I don't even think I have a legal way to do so anymore. C'mon Nintendo give us GBA VC on the Switch already, yeesh.

In any case the actual best Metroid is Prime 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I think is a tie between Fusion and Zero Mission.

I enjoy the gameplay of Zero Mission more but I prefer the structure and tone of Fusion.

Super Metroid is rather dated now.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Fusion by far. Finally a more linear Metroidvania that doesn't make me waste an eternity to find where I have to go 😭

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Fusion > Zero Mission > Super Metroid

Haven't played enough Metroid 1, 2 or AM2R to have a real opinion on them, and haven't played Samus Returns.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread, it seems abundantly clear I should skip Metroid NES and go straight to Super Metroid. Fair conclusion?

Unlike, say, Mario, where the original NES game feels like a basic but complete and polished realization of the underlying concept, the original Metroid feels more like a rough first draft for Super Metroid. I'd only play it out of historical interest; don't expect to have much fun with it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Fusion. In part that's because when I poor teenager it was the one I owned and so I played it over and over. But even going back to it I just love everything about that one.

When in the world over the last20 years did opinion on Fusion begin to shift so much? The backlash was pretty extreme when it first came out.
Maybe in some circles, but generally it was super well regarded even at launch...

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Fusion.

I loved the tension, I love the X as the next big threat, and Fusion Suit is still far and away my favorite look for Samus.

...though Dread's is shaping up to be a close second.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I like Metoid Fusion as a 2D action game too but ya'll are animals if you think it's better than Super Metroid.

People were mad because it was the first Metroid in years and years but it deviated from Super Metroid's template. Nowadays we're drowning in games that imitate Metroid to some degree or another, and it's easier to appreciate Fusion on it's own merits.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

20 years removed, 2D Metroid became a rare breed so we appreciate more what we had. The charm and polish of some of the last fresh, fully 2D games Nintendo made is more appreciated retroactively. Also, years of games like Hunters, Other M, Federation Force makes being a touch off perfection not so bad. Either way, Super Metroid still fairly beats it out as you can see via poll 🤷

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Fusion because the atmosphere was pretty much perfect for me, just the right amount of isolation and tension.
Super Metroid is amazing but it didn't grab me nearly as much.
I also loved Samus Returns but it's definitely not as great as the other, the counter mechanic got a bit grating by the end.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually replayed Fusion and Zero Mission after the Dread announcement (I needed a Metroid fix, I guess).

While Fusion and ZM are nice, I think I like Super Metroid still best. It just 'feels' the smoothest of them all, still. Fusion and ZM are kinda stiff.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Six of you are too pure for this world. Blesseth be thy souls. I wish I could vote for the OG because it is a phenominal and overlooked game... but we're talking about Super Metroid here.

I will say, I have a good feeling about Dread. We could have a new winner soon.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Reading this thread, it seems abundantly clear I should skip Metroid NES and go straight to Super Metroid. Fair conclusion?

If you do find NES games being worth a shot, it's good to know that the original Metroid has a reverse difficulty curve, it starts off brutal and unfair but becomes astonishingly easy for an NES game once you get the Wave Beam and Screw Attack. It helps to play with a save system that isn't passwords - save states to some degree are totally fair imo because the game makes you grind out your health from 30 if you die, which is its blackest mark.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I have only played Super Metroid. Currently playing Zero Mission and I love it, maybe more than SM.

Zero Mission feels a bit more focused with still plenty of opportunities to explore and go off path. It's also a bit shorter which is more my taste.

Dablado

Jan 1, 2019
I didnt play Super Metroid until after all the Prime games, and after Fusion (didnt finish as a kid), and Zero Mission.

Super Metroid still the favorite, it holds up really well. Some minor tweaksof the controls and QoL would make it perfect.

wabted to finish Fusion and play Samus Returns. Found fusion on Wii U eshop of all places! Gonna me a lot of Metroid this summer.

Oct 26, 2017
Super Metroid is still one of my favourite all time games but really I love every Metroid game, except other m which remains the only game I've thrown in the bin

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Zero Mission > Samus Returns > Super Metroid >>> Fusion.
But they're all excellent imho, I played all of these at least three times and I plan to do the same before Dread comes out, this is more a matter of taste rather than quality

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played Super and Fusion, and while I think Super is the better overall game, Fusion had much better bosses.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Zero Mission. It's an incredible game. Gorgeous, controls like a dream, and constantly rewards exploration. You can sequence break the hell out of it.

Oct 28, 2017
Super Metroid in a class of its own, one of the few games that are near perfect. Metroid Fusion and zero mission are great though.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
It's Super. Fusion is REALLY good though slightly brought down by Adam stopping you and yammering on a bunch.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like both Super and Fusion pretty much equally. Excellent games with some small caveats. Zero Mission slightly edges them out though. It's imo the most coherent and compact of them all, has amazing momentum, great exploration and the least amount of bad stuff. I can go back to it as many times as I want and never tire of it.

Samus Returns is a good game given the circumstances but it's built on a weak foundation (Metroid 2) but changes so much that it might as well be a different game altogether. I don't think a more faithful remake would have been very worthwhile but certainly interesting to see how they try to convey what the original set out to do. The technical aspects of the game, framerate in particular, don't help either.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser Employee Are Sick
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Embarrassingly I've only finished Metroid and Metroid 2. I actually think 2 is a cool game, it has those weird Gunpei touches. Both got pretty difficult toward the end tho like AGHH FUCK YOU METROID

I played Prime a lot too but never beat it. I have the Wii trilogy but I'm lazy and somewhat unsure where my Wii even is

Super is definitely on the docket for 'soon'

the gba ones are gonna be tougher to find...

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Zero Mission is pretty much perfect? I think Super Metroid is certainly more important, but Zero Mission plays so well I don't give a shit. My dream game would be 2, Super, and Fusion remade in the Zero Mission engine.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could select two, because it is a close race between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion for me.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Zero Mission is probably the one I've played the most. I did 100%, 15%, sub-2 hours, and a couple of casual plays through. Even so, it's hard not to vote for Super Metroid here.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I don't really have a desire to play the original Metroid or Metroid II again

Playing Super again right now because Dread got me in the mood. There's something that never quite clicked with me as far as Super goes but it's still a great game and a classic.

loved Samus Returns when it came out but I'm not sure I can say it's actually better than Super Metroid. I think it won't age nearly as well.

I do think Fusion and Zero Mission are the games I prefer out of the whole series but I give the crown to Zero Mission. It feels so tight to control and I love the aesthetic and music so much. It's a 10/10 for me while Fusion is a high 9.

Jan 11, 2018

One of the primary reasons for me preferring Fusion is the challenge. Super was much too easy, especially coming off Metroid 1 and 2. Fusion has a very balanced challenge that is the sweet spot inbetween the ease of Super and the oldschool difficulty of 1 and 2.

I can concede that Super is the more "important" game though.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
1. Zero Mission
2. Fusion
3. Super
4. Samus Returns
5. AM2R
... gap for emphasis...
6. Metroid II
7. Metroid

Everything released before Super just doesn't hold up for me personally. No map and barely any landmarks makes for no fun.

Zero Mission and Fusion both have excellent maps and smooth as hell controls. The only two games so far that excel in both areas. Zero Mission beats out Fusion for me just a hair because it's more fun to replay and the epilogue is just too cool.

Super has amazing world design, might have the best Metroidvania map ever made, but jumping and combat are a pain in the ass more often than not due to the floaty nature of Samus's movement.

Samus Returns has the best combat and movement in the series, but it's held back by the original game's core concept and design. This is why I'm so hyped for Dread; a chance to fly with these control in a new environment designed around them.

AM2R nails the atmosphere and the themes that were aimed for in the original Gameboy game but couldn't quite be pulled off due to the Gameboy's limitations. I also like the bonus lore and secrets that were added. Movement and combat with the non-metroid enemies feels great too. What holds it back is of course still the core concept of Metroid II being flawed. Also, the metroid fights are a lot less fun and more repetitive here than they are in Samus Returns.

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
I do think Fusion and Zero Mission are the games I prefer out of the whole series but I give the crown to Zero Mission. It feels so tight to control and I love the aesthetic and music so much. It's a 10/10 for me while Fusion is a high 9.
Zero Mission is 2nd best IMO, kind of a riff on Super Metroid even though it's technically a remake of the first game. Super Metroid is a beautiful game, sound design, music and atmosphere easily the best in series. Zero Mission is really bogged down by the platform in these regards. I may be in the minority, but I actually don't like the controls in sequels, but maybe I'm just old and Super set my expectation for how a Metroid game should feel.