Do you believe in God?

• Yes

Votes: 357 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 2,583 87.9%

• Total voters

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
The number of posts in here dunking on believers of religion are quite disrespectful tbh. It's completely acceptable to believe or not believe in God, but don't be an ass and ridicule people for it. It makes the whole lot of you seem childish.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
81% is still very high. But a trend from 92% in 2011, to 87 in 2017, to 81 in 2022, seems like a significant shift in a small space of time.

1944 98%
1947 98%
1950s 98%
1960s 98%
2011 92%
2017 87%
2022 81%

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
The number of posts in here dunking on believers of religion are quite disrespectful tbh. It's completely acceptable to believe or not believe in God, but don't be an ass and ridicule people for it. It makes the whole lot of you seem childish.
Believers are the majority, they don't need to find a way to be oppressed because people ridicule and question their faith and beliefs.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
That's certainly a take. I never claimed that non-believers were exactly the same as believers. As far as your example is concerned, the two really aren't that different. You don't know that leprechauns don't exist. You think they don't exist. You've never seen one, or any proof for any to have ever existed, but the lack of proof isn't proof that they do not exist, which is still no different than claiming they do exist without any proof. You can say leprechauns do not exist all you like, and so what?

Does that make it a falsifiable hypothesis?

You see, you're ignoring the fact that saying that leprechauns don't exist isn't just about there not being evidence, but because we also have logical and rational explanations for how the idea of something like a leprechaun comes about. The same explanations we have for billions of other mythical beings (including the divine beings in most modern-day religions, btw) that have been made up over the millennia. It's literally called non-belief. It's not a system of belief. It's a lack of belief in something. If you really want to drill down into the meanings of words and how the human mind interprets and understand things, you can maybe make a case that yes, not believing in something is a kind of belief and score a goal that way. But passively not believing in something is not even on the same planet as actively believing in something, nevermind within the same ballpark.

I've seen this "non-belief is also a kind of belief" argument in its different iterations many, many times over the years and it's never anything but a "gotcha" that wastes a lot of time and goes nowhere.

I'll feel bad for the poor, oppressed, privileged Christian majority once millions of people in the world stop suffering as a direct result of Christianity. Sorry if I don't have a lot of respect for the religion that caused and continues to cause me, and other queer people like me, untold suffering over the millennia. And queer people is just a small subset of the people affected, btw.

And please nobody start the whole "but not all Christians" or "those aren't real Christians!" nonsense.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Seeing that religious people seem to skew quite heavily towards being Republican, I feel a bit less inclined to totally give them a free pass when that belief in a magic wish-granting being in the sky is so often used as a weapon to attack LGBT people or other minorities.

Jun 17, 2019
It's use as a mass control mechanism for manipulating people to conform to the selfish will of the powerful through the vehicle of a immaterial proxy is just a bit worrying. The obfuscating of material reality and fact does not help establish among the masses what the truly important existential issues humanity faces are and how to prioritize our collective effort to deal with them. Past figures who contributed much to science, math, engineering, philosophy, etc., I would argue, did it in spite of their religiosity rather then due to it. When the populace's default state is a high level of religiosity, of course scientists of the era will have been religious. Religion (and ideological/religious thinking in general) can take many other insidious forms, as well, including cult of personality, worshipping of material wealth and power/influence, etc., as you've already mentioned.

So do other things, such as philosophy, religion is not the only ideas for mass control. See cult of personality, or social medias fear of missing out. Conforming to something also comes from community and the desire to belong to tribes, thus see sports fans or look at the idea of the people who fight over being a fan of certain companies, only drink certain brands, etc. I would say, even if you remove religion, humans will just break off into tribes based on the people who become the most influential.

Most did science because of religion though. A number of them connected to the idea of trying to understand the will of what they believed in. I'd also point out that the likes of Newton were in their own religion and going for alchemy wasn't the study of science, but that of magics, which is a religion in and of itself.

And that's the thing, people will always want to connect to something higher. So they latch onto everything that they can, and in a lot of cases that manifest in materialization.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So do other things, such as philosophy, religion is not the only ideas for mass control. See cult of personality, or social medias fear of missing out. Conforming to something also comes from community and the desire to belong to tribes, thus see sports fans or look at the idea of the people who fight over being a fan of certain companies, only drink certain brands, etc. I would say, even if you remove religion, humans will just break off into tribes based on the people who become the most influential.

Most did science because of religion though. A number of them connected to the idea of trying to understand the will of what they believed in. I'd also point out that the likes of Newton were in their own religion and going for alchemy wasn't the study of science, but that of magics, which is a religion in and of itself.

And that's the thing, people will always want to connect to something higher. So they latch onto everything that they can, and in a lot of cases that manifest in materialization.

It's been argued many times that humans are simply hardwired for magical thinking.

In principle, most of us can understand the flaws in the logic behind magical thinking. Even if we don't reject it, we can feel ourselves making the logical leaps, or at least the nagging intuition that we are not being totally consistent. If that is the case, then why do so many people fall into the trap of magical thinking?

Homeopathy, astrology, the law of attraction, fortune telling, and talking to the dead are all inherently attractive to the human mind and they each take advantage of some aspect of our how our brains work. In general, they offer comfort in exchange for unjustifiable belief, and many people are happy to take the deal.

Over time, the gradual release of one's rational faculties regarding specific practices or beliefs leads inevitably to a devaluation of relevant counter evidence and counter arguments. In this way, magical thinking sculpts parts of the brain into unquestioning, believing machines. This is to say that, just like any other belief humans have, people employ and then fortify certain cognitive biases to defend beliefs associated with magical thinking.

Magical Thinking and The Plastic Brain | Biology and Life

This post explores the concept of magical thinking and its flaws, as well as what neuroplasticity has to say about the matter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Seeing that religious people seem to skew quite heavily towards being Republican, I feel a bit less inclined to totally give them a free pass when that belief in a magic wish-granting being in the sky is so often used as a weapon to attack LGBT people or other minorities.
72% of Democrats believe in God.

Feb 16, 2022
Pray forgive the discourtesy of those of us who can't help but be skeptical and snark at religions, since some of us have had ourselves and our people personally, horribly affected by monsters doing awful things in the name of their religion and/or religious texts.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well my question is that some people might have answered no because they might have understood this to be a specific god.
I mean, probably. But then again some people who don't believe in God probably said yes just because they, for whatever reason, didn't want to give voice to their actual beliefs.

The question is broad enough that the vast majority of people, told to answer yes or no, would have just answered "yes I believe in one or many higher power(s)" or "no I don't believe in anything like that."

Zeliard

Banned
Jun 21, 2019
72% of Democrats believe in God.

Yeah I think some people have a skewed perspective on just how uncommon it is for people to claim atheism in the United States, regardless of whether or not they even believe it. And religion doesn't heavily favor either major political side; it's more in the application.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a man of science, good. It's still far too high, though.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda surprised it's so high. I guess a combination of cultural inertia (people being raised Christian with or without any actual religious activity) and people having their own idiosyncratic spiritual beliefs ("there's gotta be something out there") may make up fairly large chunks of the god-believing population. Maybe I'm wrong and most people are actually still capital-R Religious. I think at least a majority of Americans probably are, judging from how there's never been an (admitted) atheist president.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's an absurdly high amount still

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Kinda surprised it's so high. I guess a combination of cultural inertia (people being raised Christian with or without any actual religious activity) and people having their own idiosyncratic spiritual beliefs ("there's gotta be something out there") may make up fairly large chunks of the god-believing population. Maybe I'm wrong and most people are actually still capital-R Religious. I think at least a majority of Americans probably are, judging from how there's never been an (admitted) atheist president.
I think it's telling that only half the people who say they believe in God thinks it takes actions that impact our daily lives.

Supreme Bean

Banned
May 28, 2022
That is insanely high.
Depending on the country, those numbers are about double what they wrote be in Europe.

I wonder why Christianity the US had persisted much more. In the UK we don't have a separation of church and state, and religious schools are widespread, and funded by the state (free).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I get that this thread, like all threads on religion here, is mostly just for people to dunk on faith and feel like they're smarter than other people. But this is like the third time in recent months I've seen this thrown around like a gotcha here but like this is accounted for and addressed in their religious texts, there are entire books about it in the bible. It's a bad argument that really wouldn't play like you this it would if actually used against the people you're imagining using it against. Just FYI.
Sorry, but no.

If a god exists as is described, omnipotent, then it must be sadistic, as if it IS omnipotent then it could design a plan without the suffering and injustice we see.

It is not what they describe, either way.

I have nothing against religion, or the faithful, at least those who live peacefully, but a lot of the claims are nonsense and are used to justify cruelty.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
That is insanely high.
Depending on the country, those numbers are about double what they wrote be in Europe.

I wonder why Christianity the US had persisted much more. In the UK we don't have a separation of church and state, and religious schools are widespread, and funded by the state (free).
To be fair, the CoE is only because Henry VIII wanted his marriage annulled so he could remarry and have a male heir, and stuck two fingers up at the pope over it. Whereas US religiosity is perhaps more down to it being founded by a highly religious group leaving the UK. So we ended up with the CoE being both pretty mild as Christian churches go, while also still having Bishops in the Lords as a relic of an ancient setup. While the US ended up having a lot of religious influence but also the sense to keep it out of the constitution.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Pretty sure the numbers here in Denmark are a complete reversal of that. Around 20% that believe in God.
From what I'm seeing (and it could be wrong), it's 54% of people in Denmark have complete, moderate, or a little belief in the certainty of God, and 46% that have none.

I think these numbers are going to be a bit higher than most people expect for most countries.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand these stats, I think I've known all of 5 people in my entire life who are religious and not all that many more that really believe in anything. It never makes any sense to me, it shouldn't be possible to live in that much of a bubble

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Faith in a god is so often weaponized and religion has caused so much death and suffering that to suggest that it's beyond reproach is ludicrous. Believe or not, that's your choice, but I'm not going to police my tone because those with seemingly unbreakable faith feel challenged by my lack of it. You have the majority and God on your side, why worry about us in our dark corners slagging off the big man upstairs?

So long as you're not using your faith to justify cruelty and backwards beliefs, we're cool and I have no problems with it. I'm not going to respect the organized religions that have continued to crush millions of people that they deem "immoral" or those that hide behind them to justify those fucked up beliefs though and you can bet your ass I'll criticize them and lament their continued popularity until the day I die.
I get that this thread, like all threads on religion here, is mostly just for people to dunk on faith and feel like they're smarter than other people. But this is like the third time in recent months I've seen this thrown around like a gotcha here but like this is accounted for and addressed in their religious texts, there are entire books about it in the bible. It's a bad argument that really wouldn't play like you this it would if actually used against the people you're imagining using it against. Just FYI.
It's simple though, if God is all powerful, he can't be all good because he'd have the power to stop pain and suffering and he doesn't. If God is all knowing, he can't be all powerful and/or all good because he would stop disasters before they occur. If God is all good, he's not all powerful or knowing because he doesn't stop disasters from happening.

The problem of evil and suffering is something that pokes a gaping hole in almost every monotheistic religion and the response "yeah, but free will" collapses in on itself when you realize that an all knowing, all powerful and all good God would realize that free will would lead to evil and suffering which, again, he didn't stop by preventing us from having free will which conflicts with the all knowing, all good, all powerful thing again.

If religious folk have trouble squaring that issue, chalk it up to the "well, I have faith" thing but let's be honest here, there's no logical rebuttal to that logical fallacy.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
From what I'm seeing (and it could be wrong), it's 54% of people in Denmark have complete, moderate, or a little belief in the certainty of God, and 46% that have none.

I think these numbers are going to be a bit higher than most people expect for most countries.

Yep, era is a bubble for some things and this is one of them I think. It's easy to be a part of a community like this and assume that most (or at least a large portion of) other people don't have any faith in a god. But faith in a god is a very, very prevalent thing and also a very understandably human thing.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020

There's a difference between saying you're not religious and actively denying god's existence. People are weary to make that last leap.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'll never understand these stats, I think I've known all of 5 people in my entire life who are religious and not all that many more that really believe in anything. It never makes any sense to me, it shouldn't be possible to live in that much of a bubble
A ton of the people who answered "yes" are not practicing or really religious in any way.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people I know would put themselves down as believing in God despite saying they don't really when discussing it.

I have two housemates that do this (we're in the UK though). One of them says it is habit after being raised in a religious family.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I'm not going to be able to come up with any new argument for why suffering exists that hasn't already been well established. That wasn't really what I was trying to say anyway. My point was that acting like there's no way for religious people to respond to this question isn't accurate at all because this is something they've had addressed since literally the beginning of the religion. Convincing YOU that their answers are correct isn't what I'm trying to do.

I'm just pointing out that your initial question of "if God exists explain the state of the world" isn't really a convincing argument for why people who believe in God shouldn't, because they have answers to this that satisfy them. They're all the answers you've seen already. "God created humans with free will and didn't want to directly intervene, instead hoping we'd make the right choices ourselves", "evil was then allowed to fester on Earth because humans sinned", "it's a test of faith", "mysterious ways", etc. They may not be satisfying answers to YOU but they are in fact explanations for the state of the world that are satisfying to THEM.

Also, if your reaction to someone saying the exact same thing you said to them is "you are wrong to say that", I feel like you don't understand this cycle of debate humanity has been stuck in for like all of it's history. "Atheists vs Theists" is just a new flavor of "my religion vs your religion".
Super disingenuous post. Atheism isn't a religion in any sense that people use the word. Atheists come in all stripes and have no dogma and no holy text or anything. Atheists are the most hated group in the US and there are nearly zero elected officials that are publicly atheists. Meanwhile every single president has kowtowed to Christianity as an unspoken rule.

You can absolutely dunk on believers that find irrational beliefs rational. Just because they hold the position that it isn't irrational doesn't make their jumbo jumbo justified. If they want to claim god couldn't have made the world without evil, then ask them about eden/heaven. If they think god is good then show them the Old Testament where he orders genocide and rape. You may think them worthy of protection but really you're just patronizing them to say that they are just the type of person that believes illogical stuff blindly. Yeah people aren't just born that way they are indoctrinated and if you don't think magical thinking is a problem in our society then I guess you were asleep the last few years. It's a major problem, worthy of ridicule, and if people care about their religious freedom and freedom to speak their mind then they have to deal with the converse of that, people are gonna disagree and call you out if you think your mantras are anything but that.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So a 10% reduction from 1944 to 2022. At this rate, it might even drop to below 50% in the next century or two.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
raised lapsed catholic/current atheist here, and that whole religion shit is tanking big-time among the younger set and the whole world is due for a lot of change as the boomers die out.

go to mass in many places and you'll see it first-hand.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
If I had to guess Australia's, I'd guess anecdotally that it'd be like 20/30%. But I'd probably also be shocked at it being significantly higher.