• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see. Also this is undoubtedly going to be used to attack Ben & Jerry's principled stance in boycotting Israeli settlements

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017

"Tankie is a pejorative term which originally referred to those members of the Communist Party of Great Britain that followed the Kremlin line, agreeing with the crushing of the revolution in Hungary and later the Prague Spring by Soviet tanks; or more broadly, those who followed a traditional pro-Soviet position."

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
They just honored Aaron Mate from The Grazyone. Ben and Jerry have sadly gone full tankie.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Always a sign you're doing something right when tankies and far right unite against you

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I supported their stance against what Israel is doing against the Palestinians, but this is just dumb.

The only way the bloodshed ends is if Russia LEAVES, gives back the kidnapped victims and begins to pay war reparations. If they were allowed to take Ukraine do these guys think it'll stop there? Next would have been Moldova, without a doubt.

Yes, war could have been prevented. By Russia not invading a country that wasn't doing anything wrong. It's all on them.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Approached about his role in backing the group, Cohen told The Daily Beast: "I think the U.S. should use its power to negotiate an end to the war, not prolong the death and destruction by supplying more weapons

A statement like that makes it look like Ukraine is the agressor. Russia is the one keeping the war going.

Guess I'll stick with Haagen-Dazs.
It's always been the superior ice cream, they don't just stick biscuits in every tub.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
What a shitty position to have. By this factor, Cuba, Vietnam, Kuweit should've all just keeled over to their invaders rather than accept assistance from other super powers.

"I just don't support this proxy war" THERE WOULD BE NO WAR IF RUSSIA DIDN'T ATTACK UKRAINE. NONE OF THIS WOULD'BE HAPPENED IF VLADIMIR PUTIN WOULD'VE JUST FUCKED OFF.

But no, Russia "just can't help itself", it MUST defend its interests, we can find 10 000 reasons to OK that while decrying "western imperialism".

How about all imperialism is bad, INCLUDING RUSSIAN?

Hmm…Maybe? Maybe??

Last edited:

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's a shame because some of their business practices are progressive. For example I remember reading a decade ago that no one in their company makes a six figure salary, but as a result everyone on the ground level from the warehouse to the CFO makes a livable wage (upper 5 figures). I'm sure due to inflation some positions are low 6 figures now, but everyone in the company makes roughly the same amount of money that they can all live on.

Sucks that they support Russia. Fortunately there's no shortage of premium ice cream options at the grocery store. Don't sleep on Baskin Robbins in the freezer section of your local grocer

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
why not buy small-batch ice cream at your local farmers' market? I mean they may be far right trump supporters but it could be cheaper than megacorp Haagen-Dazs/Ben & Jerry's and tastes better too.

You're assuming I have a farmers market near me that sells ice cream. I've never seen ice cream there.

I do go to local ice cream shops for a scoop, rather than Dairy Queen.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. The argument seems to be that the support should shift from military assets to diplomatic assets. I'm not an expert on war/diplomacy in times of war so i can't comment on this, but the argument doesn't seem to be dropping support to leave Ukraine fending for itself.

And a lot of non interventionist, we spend too much logic that is a bit suspect but this seems like it's anti war and anti war participation first and foremost. But that's from reading just this article.

I'd like to know why so many posters are saying that he supports Russia.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Guess I'll stick with Haagen-Dazs.
General Mills, owner of Haagen-Dazs, used a production plant on illegally annexed Palestinian territory for 20 years. They ditched it last year after heavy activist pressure. Although they stressed it was purely for economical reasons. So yeah, maybe pick another brand.

mondoweiss.net

How activists got General Mills to dump its Israeli settlement factory

Michael Arria speaks with the AFSC’s Economic Activism Director Dov Baum about the successful Pillsbury boycott campaign, and what comes next.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. The argument seems to be that the support should shift from military assets to diplomatic assets. I'm not an expert on war/diplomacy in times of war so i can't comment on this, but the argument doesn't seem to be dropping support to leave Ukraine fending for itself.

And a lot of non interventionist, we spend too much logic that is a bit suspect but this seems like it's anti war and anti war participation first and foremost. But that's from reading just this article.

The diplomatic option is "Russia, please leave Ukrainian territory". I haven't exactly seen Russia make any efforts towards that goal.

I guess the NVA should've used diplomacy to end the Vietnam War instead of escalating it via military action.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
General Mills, owner of Haagen-Dazs, owned a production plant on illegally annexed Palestinian territory for 20 years. They ditched it last year after heavy activist pressure. Although they stressed it was purely for economical reasons. So yeah, maybe pick another brand.

mondoweiss.net

How activists got General Mills to dump its Israeli settlement factory

Michael Arria speaks with the AFSC’s Economic Activism Director Dov Baum about the successful Pillsbury boycott campaign, and what comes next.

None of these companies are saints. As was said above, Cohen doesn't even own Ben and Jerry's anymore, Unilever does. And I'm sure Unilever has some issues as well.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no ethical ice cream consumption unless you squeeze the milk out of the cow yourself. And even then, she's probably mad at you.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
lol

Imagine stanning for Russia as a leftie - imagine being that big of a loser.
That's the weirdest thing to me. The Russia and China of today are not communist/leftist/progressive in the slightest. They are authoritarian capitalist countries but they still have all these supporters among the left. I really think that it has nothing to do with Communism and it's solely opposition to the US above anything else despite what they profess. They are unable to conceive of a world where you can condemn the actions of a country in one instance and support those actions in another. I guess they are just unable to process the world that way, it has to be all or nothing.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it will sound reductive, but the tankie stance on this is purely an anti-American/Western one. That's why they really don't care that Russia actually invaded, and what kind of country or government Russia is.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Approached about his role in backing the group, Cohen told The Daily Beast: "I think the U.S. should use its power to negotiate an end to the war, not prolong the death and destruction by supplying more weapons."

[...]

Some of them have been echoing Kremlin propaganda lines by claiming that U.S. military support for Ukraine is extending and intensifying the fighting, and suggesting that NATO expansion was one of the causes of the war. "We gave Putin just cause," the director of EMN, Dennis Fritz, told The Daily Beast in an interview.

Yeah, these people are deluded fools. Fuck 'em.