• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which 2D Fighter of the 7th Gen kicked ass and other body parts the most?

• Ultra Street Fighter IV

Votes: 65 29.5%
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • King of Fighters XIII

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 20 9.1%
  • Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

Votes: 52 23.6%

• Total voters

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Ahh yes, the glorious days when online play was free on the PS3. SFIV really paved the way for a monster generation of fighting games. Just look at the list of games and tell me this wasn't some epic shit. Most welcome return to form for me was Mortal Kombat so I'm gonna go with that. Loved playing through the story mode and getting all the unlockables. And even with so many great guests in later entries Kratos is still the best guest character in Mortal Kombat imo.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised P4A has votes but I'll take it. Whole it probably isn't the right answer it was the one I had the most fun with.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
UMvC3

It's a fundamentally flawed game in a lot of ways but that didn't stop it from being fun as fuck

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 singlehandedly revived my interest in fighting games and has become one of my favorites of all time. It's beautiful, has fantastic theming and music, and one of the best open-ended combat sandbox I've seen in a fighting game. Every character is incredibly unique and has so much to work with that the possibilities across all the matchups are enormous. The gatling system along with the fast-paced aerial-focused gameplay leads to this really smooth feeling that hooked me.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 singlehandedly revived my interest in fighting games and has become one of my favorites of all time. It's beautiful, has fantastic theming and music, and one of the best open-ended combat sandbox I've seen in a fighting game. Every character is incredibly unique and has so much to work with that the possibilities across all the matchups are enormous. The gatling system along with the fast-paced aerial-focused gameplay leads to this really smooth feeling that hooked me.

Yes, the uniqueness of each and every character is amazing in GG.

Nov 11, 2017
I probably spent the most time playing Street Fighter IV, but KOF XIII was my favourite of that bunch. I need to pickup the steam version next time it is on sale.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have too many fond memories of watching SF4 at Evo and other tournies to pick anything else.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't big on SF4 at first but it grew into one of my top 10 favorite games ever. It took me a while to get used to the more difficult fireball zoning and the emphasis on setups, compared to ST.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Slightly confused by 2nd rev and not just Revelator, and BB being CSExtend and not at least Chrono Phantasma, if not going all the way to Central Fiction given it's still just updates and additions to the same game. non-Extend Phantasma is at least the last of the BB updates to not release on PS4.

Pedantic aside, probably ends up, begrudgingly, being USF4 (or just SFIV in general) since I at least was actively playing it a lot for a while. I think many of the games on this list (and not on this list) are significantly better.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ibG9nY2RuLmNvbS93d3cuam95c3RpcS5jb20vbWVkaWEvMjAwOS8xMC90YXRzdnNjYXBmdWxsNTgwLmpwZw==

Tatsunoko vs Capcom??

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's SFxT, but out of the poll I'd say UMvC3, because Super was the IV entry I was all about, not AE or Ultra.
Rev 2 is a weird option (it came out in 2017 lol, and even SIGN was cross gen at launch), especially above the FGs that launched exclusively in that gen, like TvC and Skullgirls, and if I'm being honest, Plus R was the better GG on PS3 lol.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
UMVC3 forever and always - 10 years later, I haven't stopped watching or playing it! SFIV would be my runner-up and I still play that occasionally as well.

I've bought 9 copies of Marvel 3 and only missing the Vita version:

PS3 - physical (MVC3 and UMVC3)
360 - physical (MVC3 and UMVC3)
PC - digital
PS4 - digital and physical (sealed)
Xbone - digital and physical (sealed)

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the poll choices it's absolutely Persona 4 Arena Ultimax to me. Nothing else feels quite like that game and its Persona system.
It was a great gateway game to anime fighters that was pretty accessible on the surface but offered tons of depth as you got into it. I loved how different and fun all the characters were.
And as a Persona fan it was an amazing fanservice package in general.

Where oh where is Persona 5 Arena...

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Does Smash count?

I think the (traditional) fighting game I played the most that gen was actuall Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus for Wii lol

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
P4AU was my favorite of the ones listed and is my favorite in terms of ones that had a legit competitive following that I enjoyed playing.

Soul Calibur IV is my actual favorite, but the game is kind of a mess. I just had way too much fun playing it with friends.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Well, BlazBlue is probably my favourite fighting game series, and Continuum Shift Extend may just be my favourite game in it, so...

I've always wanted to try the Persona 4 Arena games, though, but I still haven't been able to.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
KOF XIII was a love letter send off to the pixel era. Highly underrated game, unfortunately the bad net code killed off kinda of quickly. It was the best fighting game of gen 7.
(My 2nd favorite of Gen 7 was MK9)