• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best Arkane game?

• Arx Fatalis

Votes: 28 1.9%
  • Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • Dishonored

Votes: 339 23.6%
  • Dishonored 2

Votes: 338 23.5%
  • Prey (2017)

Votes: 613 42.6%
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Deathloop

Votes: 66 4.6%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to leave off Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot and the iOS game KarmaStar, as there is a 7-option limit.

Anyyay, time to vote: what's the best Arkane game?

I'm going with Prey. Pretty much exactly what I would've wanted from a new System Shock game. One of the most well-realized, cohesive settings in a game to date imo.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Prey, recently. Haven't played Deathloop or Dishonored 2 yet (want to play both, been busy!) Prey to me is everything Arkane's wanted to do and executed pretty damn well. I love Dishonored but I do not like its approach to letting you have all these fun abilities and then having the game slap you on the wrist for having fun. The game encourages you to have fun but at the same time the story does not. It's probably my least favorite thing about Dishonored. Let me have fun. Don't try to make me feel bad for using the abilities I was given.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OG Dishonored for me.

That's a game that i could play once a year. Instant classic.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Dishonored 2 the GOATest of all time. Levels like the Clockwork Mansion, the Jindosh Lock, the one with the two different time streams that I've forgotten the name of, incredible.

D2 > Prey > D1 > Deathloop in my opinion. Haven't played the rest. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider also goes in there somewhere, it's short but it's great!

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard choice. The Dishonored games and Prey are all in my "incredibly fucking fantastic" tier, so I don't know lol

Voted for Prey, I think it's quite unique.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 is probably their best game but my favorite is Dishonored. Playing it for the first time not triggering any alarms or killing anyone was a hell of an experience. Only to then see videos online of people playing it like an action (combat focused) game. It works brilliantly whichever way you choose to play it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't liked any of their games since Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, despite really wanting to :(

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Surprised to see so little love for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

It was flawed, but I always wished we could an Elder Scrolls game with Dark Messiah's combat systems. It's some of the best FP non-shooter combat I've ever experienced.

Oct 25, 2017
Prey and it isn't even close. Such a brilliant cohesive design with incredible player agency. One of the best games of last gen in my opinion.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
I love the dishonored series because the setting is ace ... but gotta give it to Prey because I think it perfectly captured the feel of the immersive sim and the level design/different paths to get to places was sublime. Arkane was firing on all cylinders with this game.

Really bums me out Deathloop was a huge step back from that and Red Fall is even more of that. I just want more single player only, immersive sims from then.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2. Was much the same as Dishonored 1 but with better level design and overall art direction.
Whatever came after that was a progressing disappointment for me. Prey was okay, Youngblood was bad, Deathloop was awful.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
For me it's a toss up between Dishonored 2 and Prey. Really hard to pick my favourite between the two... but if pressed I think I would go with Prey.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Dishonored 1 and 2 are probably more solid overall, but Prey is my favorite. I like the setting and atmosphere more, but it does drop off pretty hard towards the end.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Prey is their best game in my opinion even though I have more fun replaying the Dishonored games using the godlike powers. The space station is just an impeccably designed environment and the level design allows for some truly unique ways to navigate through it, like the gloo gun and the mimic power, that it must have been maddening for the devs trying to make sure players couldn't just break the game constantly.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like Youngblood belongs (AFAIK machinegames was lead), and the two Dishonored games are just going to end up splitting the Dishonored fanbase votes over two titles.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Clearly Dishonored 2 for me, followed by Dishonored 1 and Deathloop. Started Prey twice, but both times it completely lost me after the first couple of hours. The combat is plain awful, dull enemy design, and the long and frequent loading times in combination with too much backtracking killed it for me. Really loved the setting and atmosphere, but simply did not enjoy playing it.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Deathloop so far is the only one I've stuck with and once it got going I really enjoyed my time with it.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I am sorry but WHO voted Youngblood??
I can't say that i am a fan of a single Arkane game... For some reason they aren't doing anything for me.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Prey, Dishonored, and Dishonored 2 are all incredible games. I'd rank them in that order. I haven't been able to play Deathloop on Xbox, but hopefully will be able to in a few months.

Death of the Outsider and Mooncrash deserve honorable mentions. Youngblood is more of a MachineGames production than an Arkane one (they mostly helped MG out with level design IIRC).

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Prey but would have been happy to vote for either Dishonored.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 the GOATest of all time. Levels like the Clockwork Mansion, the Jindosh Lock, the one with the two different time streams that I've forgotten the name of, incredible.

D2 > Prey > D1 > Deathloop in my opinion. Haven't played the rest. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider also goes in there somewhere, it's short but it's great!

Crack in the Slab? Yeah, those two levels aren't just the best Dishonored levels; they're two of my favourite bits of level design ever. Absolutely incredible.

Talos I is a fantastic space too, so I agree with your order (though I've not played Deathloop).

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Clearly Dishonored 2 for me, followed by Dishonored 1 and Deathloop. Started Prey twice, but both times it completely lost me after the first couple of hours. The combat is plain awful, dull enemy design, and the long and frequent loading times in combination with too much backtracking killed it for me. Really loved the setting and atmosphere, but simply did not enjoy playing it.
This was me regarding Prey until last year, only last year I got into it and I feel in love with it. Maybe try again lol.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that's a tough one. I love Prey but I love Deathloop as well. It's hard to pick between them.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I love the first Dishonored the most I think. It was fresh, full of options, yet stripped back to exactly what it needed with nothing extraneous. And while the second game exceeds it in terms of level design spectacle, the more blank-slate approach of the first game makes it more enjoyable to replay. Though both are incredible, as is Prey.

Deathloop was very unmemorable for me, and unfortunately Redfall looks like an even further departure from what I loved about the studio.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Please ban the one user who picked Youngblood.

I am sorry but WHO voted Youngblood??
I can't say that i am a fan of a single Arkane game... For some reason they aren't doing anything for me.
That would be me.
Youngblood is by no means a great game, but it´s the only Arkane game (if you can actually call it that) i could stand to play more than 2 hours of. Of course my love for the Wolfenstein franchise is the main thing in that kept my intrest in Youngblood.

I tried Dishonored1+2, Prey and Deathloop and wasn´t at all interested in keeping playing them after a short while. The Intro sequence of Prey was really cool, but i just can´t be bothered with the immersive-sim gameplay. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Absolutely Prey. It's the System Shock spiritual successor I wanted. Bioshock has nothing on this game. Mooncrash was also excellent.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Prey, recently. Haven't played Deathloop or Dishonored 2 yet (want to play both, been busy!) Prey to me is everything Arkane's wanted to do and executed pretty damn well. I love Dishonored but I do not like its approach to letting you have all these fun abilities and then having the game slap you on the wrist for having fun. The game encourages you to have fun but at the same time the story does not. It's probably my least favorite thing about Dishonored. Let me have fun. Don't try to make me feel bad for using the abilities I was given.

You'll probably get on with Deathloop, it very explicitly wants you to use everything it gives you and the worst punishment is that 3 deaths and you restart your run at the day, which you'll be doing many times to put together a viable completion tactic anyway.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
The final third of Prey really sank the game for me so I'll have to go with one of the Dishonored games.

Can't wait for deathloop on game pass!

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I still need to play Dishonored 2, and have heard very good things about it.

Currently, though, Prey wins by a large margin for me. So much so that I don't know if they can ever recapture its brilliance again. I wish I enjoyed their other games to the same degree.