• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I got a XSX from Costco and a PS5 from Sam's.

I was already a member at Costco, (added on to someone's membership) but IIRC you couldnt even see the price unless you were a member.

For Sams...you could get the console and not be a member...but there was a big stocking fee tacked on. It was cheaper to become a member, lol.

I agree its similar to Amazon Prime, Costco, Sam's, etc. Damn....looks like this is how its gonna be ....

Tell me this applies to getting a gpu from them, at retail price....and I'm applying ASAP.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people thought this was going to be for all consoles moving forward? Really? It's a special event aimed at people with this membership. It is not something that is going to be the only way to get them.

Costco literally sells everything you use in your house, Amazon doesn't require a membership just to buy anything as far as I know, and I think the GameStop one is literally like $15/year.

Amazon absolutely has products for sale only available to Prime members. Target also has products available only to Red Card holders and I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart has products only available to Walmart+ members. Every retailer at this point sells products at certain times only to people with certain membership status at this point. This is not unique to Best Buy at all now.

I knew this was going to happen as soon as I saw this service announced.

Xboxes and PS5's finna be almost impossible to get from Best Buy outside of this subscription.

Weren't they already almost impossible to get before this membership existed?

Not really, you can get one for under $700 around here on FB marketplace.

This would be $500 + 200 + tax

People need to stop thinking of this as you need to buy this to buy a console. It's more of a perk for those that already have a membership. Nobody should be buying this just to buy consoles.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
If this is supposed to be a way to combat scalping... I just don't see the logic here. $200 is nothing for a scalper, but it's a huge unnecessary hurdle for normal folk. This is only going to hurt those looking to actually purchase a console at MSRP.

Edit: I guess it's just some limited time event thing? It's less bad as long as that's truly the case. Sure would suck if this limited event happens every time they get a shipment in.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Best Buy premium stuff looks like hot garbage. I hope people don't sign up expecting it to be an easy PS5.

May 26, 2018
If it's a one-time fee, aren't scalpers just going to sign up and get in on the consoles anyway, knowing they'll make back the entrance pretty quickly?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
If this is supposed to be a way to combat scalping... I just don't see the logic here. $200 is nothing for a scalper, but it's a huge unnecessary hurdle for normal folk. This is only going to hurt those looking to actually purchase a console at MSRP.

It has nothing to do with preventing scalping. This is solely to provide value for their new annual service membership on top of the other benefits that one gets from subscribing to it.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Not really, you can get one for under $700 around here on FB marketplace.

This would be $500 + 200 + tax
I'd just rather cut the whole scalper game out entirely.

I think that, even if the money turns out the same on the other end, it's better to have GameStop force people into bundles and Best Buy force people into memberships. At least that's going into the gaming / retail economy. I feel better about that than I do a bunch of assholes with bot armies hoarding consoles.

Also people can "this ain't it" meme up these threads all they want, but when Best Buy announced stock and was selling PS5s at retail scalpers just showed up with dozens of beach chairs, had one guy squat the front of the line "holding places for friends" and then wasted the time of legitimate buyers (and likely other scalpers) who just showed up to legitimately stand in line.

I get the idea that people think it's better if they have "a chance" to compete in this weird console hunger games going on, but I'm not sure I agree. If they'd done forced bundles or whatever from the start, there just would have been a lot less time and energy wasted by everyone.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
96fcd-lmao2.gif

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Lmao, it started with amazon only letting prime members buying certain hot items, then Gamestop now requires their Pro membership. Only a matter of time before Walmart requires you to be a Walmart+ subscriber and target requiring a red card to be able to buy any consoles.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda shitty but it seems like a one time offer promo that will cycle out rather than be the way going forward. Don't see an issue with them incentivizing their membership and honestly it's not a bad deal if you wanted the extended warranty on that anyway

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That's my point. By subscribing to this service, you are likely to all but guarantee yourself one of these.

In other words, without this subscription you are now even less likely to be able to get one...and odds were already not in your favor.

Technically you're right, but I really see it not being that different in how difficult it was to get one. Sure less opportunity gives you less chances when you run the numbers but I bet the experience for most people doesn't really change in the end. Most people will just continue to fail to get one since they sell out instantly when they're made available already.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's my point. By subscribing to this service, you are likely to all but guarantee yourself one of these.

In other words, without this subscription you are now even less likely to be able to get one...and odds were already not in your favor.
I'm not a fan of scalping personally, but I would consider this option (I'm considering it since I'm getting an iPhone soon enough).

If you already have one of these memberships, it is a nice perk and Best Buy can keep their highest margin customers happier.

Assuming they keep this to a limit 1 situation it could effectively remove Best Buy from the scalping equation. Not perfect, but making the best of a rough situation. Is there any indication that scalpers are unable to navigate the Amazon, Costco, Sams systems?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'd just rather cut the whole scalper game out entirely.

I think that, even if the money turns out the same on the other end, it's better to have GameStop force people into bundles and Best Buy force people into memberships. At least that's going into the gaming / retail economy. I feel better about that than I do a bunch of assholes with bot armies hoarding consoles.

Also people can "this ain't it" meme up these threads all they want, but when Best Buy announced stock and was selling PS5s at retail scalpers just showed up with dozens of beach chairs, had one guy squat the front of the line "holding places for friends" and then wasted the time of legitimate buyers (and likely other scalpers) who just showed up to legitimately stand in line.

I get the idea that people think it's better if they have "a chance" to compete in this weird console hunger games going on, but I'm not sure I agree. If they'd done forced bundles or whatever from the start, there just would have been a lot less time and energy wasted by everyone.

I tend to agree. In fact I'd go as far as to say that once it became clear we were looking at multi year shortages, both console makers should have cut into scalping at the source by raising the price on the PS5 and XSX. When you underprice this badly, the results are very predictable. (Not that they could have predicted - but in any case, they did severely underprice.)

Of course I understand this would never happen because the PR from one company doing it and the other not doing it would be catastrophic, even if it meant the company that raised prices had consoles you could actually buy.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of scalping personally, but I would consider this option (I'm considering it since I'm getting an iPhone soon enough).

If you already have one of these memberships, it is a nice perk and Best Buy can keep their highest margin customers happier.

Assuming they keep this to a limit 1 situation it could effectively remove Best Buy from the scalping equation. Not perfect, but making the best of a rough situation. Is there any indication that scalpers are unable to navigate the Amazon, Costco, Sams systems?

See I don't buy that this is anti scalping because if I were a scalper, I would be paying $200 per account to get a PS5, XSX, maybe a XSS, and a few GPUs. The $200 premium spread across multiple items like that makes a modest cost increase that will reduce the profit margin a bit per item, but will still be profitable. Even if you limit them to just one of each of those items per year per account, you could just open up multiple accounts to get more.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I was lucky enough to grab a Series X from Microsoft.com a month ago, just got $740 in trade in credit from GameStop that I'll use for a PS5 next year so basically Best Buy can go pound sand with this BS.

Nov 27, 2017
California
GameStops pro membership is leagues better than this one because they at least give you $60 a year

I kinda figured they'd do this sooner since lots of people resell stuff like graphic cards and consoles
$200 a year though, fuck outta here

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I signed up as we buy alot. Called in to have apple care removed from two Apple Watches we have on order. Was super easy and just saved $160. This plan isnt for everyone buy I see alot of value.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yikes, guess i'm not getting my XSX from there

If it offered the old school GCU benefits... I may actually consider.

yeah see this would mitigate a lot of the sting

I vowed only to purchase from Best Buy as an absolute last resort after discovering they slashed returns to 15 days unless you had one of their shit memberships. Imagine my surprise when I went to return a faulty Series X controller after only three weeks.

aw see this is some bullshit right here, i'd be mad as hell

Yeah, there's already a thread on this. It's no different than Amazon requiring Prime or GameStop requiring Power Up Rewards Pro.

ehh kinda? amazon has a steaming service and a lottt more day to day items on prime, GS pro is fairly cheap in comparison to both programs and the coupons help offset it too
not seeing the value here personally

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yikes. I got mine from Best Buy but fortunately it was a few months ago. At the time I was just glad to get one and without needing to buy a bundle or something.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
See I don't buy that this is anti scalping because if I were a scalper, I would be paying $200 per account to get a PS5, XSX, maybe a XSS, and a few GPUs. The $200 premium spread across multiple items like that makes a modest cost increase that will reduce the profit margin a bit per item, but will still be profitable. Even if you limit them to just one of each of those items per year per account, you could just open up multiple accounts to get more.
I'm not suggesting that Best Buy is doing this as an anti-scalping initiative per-se, but rather offering "extra value" for their new membership gimmick, since its tough to sell the member upgrade if the customers can't buy the potential products. It is a business move designed to drive engagement with higher margin customers so I see the business utility in Best Buy trying to solve product issues for those customers.

I do agree with your point that can imagine a scenario where the per unit cost comes down to where scalpers will just treat this as a cost of doing business, in your example that $200 is already $20-40 range. If you are reselling significantly above cost thats an easy enough cost to eat.

usagi704

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since I was lucky enough to get a PS5 a week after release date I keep realizing just how lucky I really was!

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
i feel like most people in this thread are reacting based on limited information? honestly the idea of a $200 a year tech support plan for (ostensibly) the elderly sucks shit in a million different ways but nowhere does this say this is a permanent paywalling of device preorders. this is a limited-time event for early access that - i think someone already mentioned this - the target market for the totaltech program is clearly not taking up on lol. if they keep requiring it yes that's scummy and basically scalping but like... it isn't right now. it's monday morning. have a nice coffee

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
$200 yearly just to buy a fucking product. Fuck these greedy motherfucking retailers, and fuck the scalpers and miners who've done nothing but hurt the average customer that just wants to buy a device to play videogames.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
i feel like most people in this thread are reacting based on limited information? honestly the idea of a $200 a year tech support plan for (ostensibly) the elderly sucks shit in a million different ways but nowhere does this say this is a permanent paywalling of device preorders. this is a limited-time event for early access that - i think someone already mentioned this - the target market for the totaltech program is clearly not taking up on lol. if they keep requiring it yes that's scummy and basically scalping but like... it isn't right now. it's monday morning. have a nice coffee

I think people really need to look at what it offers. Free Applecare+, extended return windows, free shipping on everything, free installation of appliances, smart devices etc. My wife wants a smart doorbell and installation is $99. It's not a terrible deal, for certain folks. That said, anyone who signs up for this just to buy a console is a bit foolish.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
ehh kinda? amazon has a steaming service and a lottt more day to day items on prime, GS pro is fairly cheap in comparison to both programs and the coupons help offset it too
not seeing the value here personally

Different memberships have different perks. The value in Best Buy's is everything comes with an extended warranty now including AppleCare, free shipping, installation and service, free tech support, 60 day extended return window which includes price matching so that additional time can save you money, and exclusive access to certain sales events.

It doesn't even have to be one specific thing there either since it's the combination. If I get a $100 extended warranty, saved $70 in price matching within 60 days over the course of the year, and then had a TV mounted for $50, I not only come out ahead, but I can also gain easier access to buying a PS5.

The membership isn't for everyone, and right now I don't see a use in paying for it for myself, but there is value in it and I can see where that value is and how one can take advantage of it. Nobody should be buying this if they just want a console though.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I actually have this due to being upgraded for free for the old $99 plan, though I plan on cancelling very soon, might just hold off on doing that until I can snag an XSX I guess. I bought a new TV and a home theater system, so the plan saved me money overall when purchasing the installation + warranty services. The $200 version of the plan seems like a much worse deal though.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've started to see PS5s in the wild here in Mexico (even saw a digital edition once) so hopefully it's not long before people in other countries can find them easily too.

Oct 25, 2017
GameStops pro membership is leagues better than this one because they at least give you $60 a year

I kinda figured they'd do this sooner since lots of people resell stuff like graphic cards and consoles
$200 a year though, fuck outta here
You also get access to game informer.

If they had gamer club still that would be fine. Charge $100 a year, provide the same services as before and tuck this in. But $200...no

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Got my PS5 at the BB stand in line event last month. I'm sorry I purchased from some a shit company. Please die BB.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Total Tech reminds of when Best Buy used to offer a paid service to update your Xbox 360's firmware.

What a ripoff.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
They JUST launched this in most locations so I'm not surprised they want to make it a thing