• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Era!

What are some of the best comics you've read this year? I'm looking for recommendations on what to catch up on!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Similarly interested. Haven't read anything this year (outside of keeping up with Saga).

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've started anything new this year. Saga, Ice Cream Man, and What's the Furthest Place from Here are still my favorites from my pull file.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I am a image guy so

Newburn
Little Monsters
The Department of Truth
W0rldtr33
Do a Power Bomb
That Texas Blood

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Emily Carroll's A Guest In The House
Aly Fell's The Kissing Gate
Ari North's Always Human (not strictly new, but saw it's final trade release this year)
Mira Ong Chua's I Want to be Your Doll

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Not from this decade but I️ read the maxx for the first time. That's a comic that I️ think will stick with me for some time. I'd love recs similar if anyone got 'em

May 24, 2019
Hey Era!

What are some of the best comics you've read this year? I'm looking for recommendations on what to catch up on!
You should check out our comic community. We desperately need some new blood who are actually interested in reading comics lol

www.resetera.com

COMICS!!! |OT| December 2023 | Don't feel like a man anymore, but the art was good.

Superman #9 By Williamson, Redondo - SUPER-ARMOR! Superman's battle with the Chained has left him wounded in unexpected ways, but the Lex Luthor Revenge Squad is still forming! To save Metropolis, Superman has no choice but to put on a special armor built by Lex! Green Arrow #7 By Williamson...

Hambulance

Oct 30, 2017
62066010.jpg

Elry09

Nov 11, 2017
From this year my favorite new book is Local Man. It's from Image and it tells the story of a hero from the grim dark Image comics of the 90's who does something that turns the world against him, so he's forced to retire and return to his small town in shame. Each issue has a flip side story that collects one of his comics from the 90's. Very meta, very very good

The Energon Universe books (Void Rivals & Transformers) both excellent books, VR from Kirkman and Transformers by the man who brought you Do A Powerbomb. And there's a Duke mini coming at the end of the month that looks equally excellent

Wonder Woman - Tom King and Daniel Sampere. Three issues in and it's so damn good, it's the best Wonder Woman since Perez

Birds of Prey - KELLY THOMPSON's new BOP book is so much fun. I had no idea how much I needed a Big Barda/Cassandra Cain team up

The Incredible Hulk - The last run ended in disaster because of Cates' real life issue, but Phillip Kennedy Johnson's new run, which means more into horror, is the best book Marvel has put out this year

Phantom Road - it's Resident Evil 2 meets Kentucky Route Zero. Jeff Lemire is usually solid and this book has been fun right out the gate

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read any modern comics in a while, but if indie/underground comics count then Starseeds Book 3 by Charles Glaubitz was the best one I read this year. The cosmic visual wizardry in the art is really something. Hold on to your eyes.

Starseed7.png

bKNVkAGh_1304232050101gpaiadd.png

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
beneath-the-trees-where-nobody-sees-1-cover.jpg
It hasn't been collected yet, and I'm not sure how many issues are out, but I loved the first issue of Beneath the Trees Where Nobody Sees.

It's Richard Scarry meets Dexter. The art is gorgeous, and cute and disturbing when it needs to be.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
beneath-the-trees-where-nobody-sees-1-cover.jpg
It hasn't been collected yet, and I'm not sure how many issues are out, but I loved the first issue of Beneath the Trees Where Nobody Sees.

It's Richard Scarry meets Dexter. The art is gorgeous, and cute and disturbing when it needs to be.

Seems cool. Has a trade been announced for the future?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Zdarsky's Daredevil
Waid's Batman Superman Worlds Finest
Tynion's Worldtr33

Detective Comics and Action Comics have both been a lot of fun in 2023.

KuDetat

Oct 27, 2017
I will scream from the mountains Nice House On The Lake is the comic I've been recommending to EVERYBODY. It's just amazing horror writing, and you should go in without spoilers.

58502336.jpg

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Billy Batson's finally not called Shazam anymore in Mark Waid's book. It's The Captain now but it's the closest we've gotten to classic Captain Marvel in years.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
There was some good shit this year from Image. I liked

W0rldtr33 (or however they spell it)
Little Monsters
What's the Furthest Place From Here?
Phantom Road
Sacrificers
Forged
Time Before Time
I Hate Fairlyand

Time Before Time just wrapped up. It's really long at like 30 issues, but it's some amazing time travel scifi. Sacrificers is newish but really solid so far. Little Monsters is a fun vampire story, though I was underwhelmed how it ended. Phantom Road is great so far. Not a clue where it's going. Forged is basically Warhammer with lesbians. Been fantastic so far. WTFPFH is an ongoing and excellent. Super strange. Last week's issue was great.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Been out of the Image game basically since Amazon destroyed the Comixology app. Looking to get back to reading. I will check these out for sure.
If you like horror definitely try Something is Killing the Children from Boom Studios. Basically, you can't go wrong with anything from James Tynion.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
some good picks in here - gonna have to try sacrificers and furthers place from here sometime

I am a image guy so

Newburn
Little Monsters
The Department of Truth
W0rldtr33
Do a Power Bomb
That Texas Blood

little monsters & power bomb are the only ones i've not read here, but all your other picks are fantastic so onto the list they go

Zdarsky's daredevil run.

absolutely, cannot wait for the omnibus

Not from this decade but I️ read the maxx for the first time. That's a comic that I️ think will stick with me for some time. I'd love recs similar if anyone got 'em

oh man i reread that one like every decade...it's so surreal the way it not only was so subversive in image's early days, but even got an mtv cartoon!
sam keith is amazing and has done some dark & interesting things since, but no, i've not found much that scratches that itch, sadly

i will say i've reread it around both concrete and bone, but i don't know that there's many similarities there beyond books i read & loved at certain points in my life

Battle Chasers is my pick of the year.

i've enjoyed the comeback, but we've only seen a few issues this year, no? unless i'm just behind

Basically, you can't go wrong with anything from James Tynion.

this has absolutely been my take the last year or two

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
I will also raise my hand with the Worldtr33 recommendation. In fact any thing written by James Tynion IV. Worldtr33 resembles a "slasher" horror film but with a little Mr.Robot in for good measure. I still need to read Memetic (its apparently similar).

I also loved 8 Billion Genies by Charles Soule and this might be technically last year but I also liked Its Lonely At the Centre of the Earth by Zoe Thorogood.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Was out Christmas shopping, swung by the comic shop and ordered the Nice House on the Lake collected edition, along with Book 1 of Something is Killing the Children.

And Zdarsky's Daredevil omni

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I think the only comic book I read this year that also released this year was Girl Juice by Benji Nate so it wins by default. That said it was genuinely excellent.