Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Right after Slay The Spire and Monster Train what are the best deck building games available?

I tried:
- The Great American Circus (very boring)
- Mahokenshi (nice but a bit slow)
- Nadir (naah)
- Midnight Suns (nice)
- Inscryption (veeery good... for 1/3 :D)

Any other suggestion in the deckduilder/roguelike genre?

(note: talking about in-game deckbuilding, not games like Magic The Gathering or Marvel Snap with pre-game deckbuilding)

(also, not getting games in Early Access)

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Inscryption

I got mildly addicted to its gameplay loop

Curse you Stef you edited your OP right after I posted!

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/981430/Gordian_Quest/

Very positive user reviews, and it's a looker too! Which is nice, coming off Slay the Spire (I love the game, but that art...)

ss_d97ae8ff9147976de8f085910faf4bf4e8da76f5.1920x1080.jpg

ss_94d0eda52562363d4f697409e959b5be83c2c948.1920x1080.jpg

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I've had plenty of fun with Vault of the Void. It is not as flexible and wide as Slay the Spire, but very well polished. It does not have any card metaprogression entire toolkits of all characters are available from the start, which depending on player is either positive or a negative.

View: https://youtu.be/c6KP_7c0U58

One I always like to shill is Nowhere Prophet. It is a deckbuilder with board gamey token placement elements. It has an impeccable aesthetics and setting, it is set in a post-apocalyptic planet inspired by sci-fi'd Indian culture. As a word of warning, it is BRUTALLY hard and runs are long.

View: https://youtu.be/IadayVADjTw

OP
OP
Stef

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
One I always like to shill is Nowhere Prophet. It is a deckbuilder with board gamey token placement elements. It has an impeccable aesthetics and setting, it is set in a post-apocalyptic planet inspired by sci-fi'd Indian culture. As a word of warning, it is BRUTALLY hard and runs are long.

Played this a lot and enjoyed it immensely.

Basically a post-apocalypse Oregon Trail deck-builder.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I havent played too much but one that I don't see too often mentioned:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/698640/Deep_Sky_Derelicts/

One that is pretty unique and adds an almost narrative aspect:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1170080/Foretales/

I've also heard good things about Iris and the Giant

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127610/Iris_and_the_Giant/

Also there is Steamworld Quest

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/804010/SteamWorld_Quest_Hand_of_Gilgamech/

Nov 2, 2017
There have been a lot of deckbuilders since I fell off the genre a couple of years ago.

Dang, Cobalt Core looks very much like something for me.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to need a details explanation how there is an after of our saviour which is STS. (I have an issue; must complete the daily crawl... they will return more for me one day).
Untitled.png

Cobalt Core is alright. A cross between STS and FTL; the cards aren't as memorable and I feel it probably won't have the 3k hour legs. And I remember as a teen thinking my 150 hours in Final Fantasy 7 was crazy.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Played this one A LOT! :)

Not properly a deck builder as you say, yet it scratches the very same itch. Excellent game.
you ever mess with any of the mods :P?

Top game mods tagged Dicey Dungeons

Find game mods tagged Dicey Dungeons like More Fluff, Dicey Dungeons: Christmas Special, The Grab Bag, Megaquest (Dicey Dungeons), Pyromancer (Dicey Dungeons Mod) on itch.io, the indie game hosting marketplace

the creator of the game was pointing out some of them in the updates at times. https://themysticsword.itch.io/dd-megaquest was pointed out at one point. it requires you to set the game in legacy mode (going into options and beta tree and legacy) but it is effectively a full blown sequel to the game :P

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
sorta left field, but what about Gloomhaven? For that sorta-board-game-with-cards that Midnight Suns does.

Or if you liked the social dynamics/story of Midnight Suns, maybe, I was a Teenage Exocolonist?

And there's Roguebook, by Richard Garfield?

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Good ones here for sure. I want to mention Tainted Grail Conquest. Surprisingly atmospheric deck builder with good production values. Full voice acting too. The story progresses from run to run sorta like Hades. Like continuing story lines for characters you meet quests you've started.

The mechnics are very solid as well. Defo feel like people slept on this one.

store.steampowered.com

Tainted Grail: Conquest on Steam

A unique, infinitely replayable, story-driven hybrid between a deck-building Roguelike and an RPG game. Explore the ever-changing maps, fight with deadly enemies, and learn what happened to the cursed island of Avalon.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
As someone who's solo played a ton of the physical game plus the new release, how does this compare or translate to digital? I'd pick it up but am waiting on a price drop.
It's rated overwhelmingly positive, and I personally think it's pretty good. No bugs from what I've seen. It has a solo mode where you can play against bots with scalable difficulty, as well as an implementation of House Hegal from the board game.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
yes people are already talking about cobalt core, i love it

also bolatro is supposed to be coming out this year and the demo was super fun and i put too much time into it

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
Across the Obelisk is really fun, especially if you play multiplayer. It gives a lot of flexibility to your deck craft early in the run, allowing you to try a lot of different stuff run to run. There's a LOT of content in that game, almost to the point of being overwhelming, but after a few runs it all locks into place well. I'd recommend it - my friends and I put a good 100 hours in last year and there's still a lot to do.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I think one of the thing that draw me to play so much STS and Monster Train is how straight to the point these 2 games are.

You load in, pick a character/factions then you play the game and unlock card along the way.

The other deck building card game, imho, are putting more mechanic and make the game more complex, which, good if you like those type but I don't. I been bounced off so many time when I load in the game and it basically RPG but you play using card instead.

On that note, I'll say my 3rd favorite deck building game Night of Full Moon

store.steampowered.com

月圆之夜 (Night of Full Moon) on Steam

"Night of the Full Moon" is a stand-alone roguelike card game. Take adventure into Black Forest. Random event, random plot leads to different endings.

Edit: also it's free, and you can buy additional contents. One of the problem is the TL is still kinda spotty in some place.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Across the Obelisk is really fun, especially if you play multiplayer. It gives a lot of flexibility to your deck craft early in the run, allowing you to try a lot of different stuff run to run. There's a LOT of content in that game, almost to the point of being overwhelming, but after a few runs it all locks into place well. I'd recommend it - my friends and I put a good 100 hours in last year and there's still a lot to do.
Yes it's a really fun multiplayer game. We really liked it. It's probably not the greatest deckbuilder, and progressing through the areas gets kind of samey after a while. But we liked unlocking things. The star is obviously the multiplayer thing.