• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Repeating at lot of the recs above plus some additional ones:

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Baccano!, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate, Fate/Zero, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, Panty and Stocking, Yuri on Ice . Also the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime if OP has just seen Brotherhood! Like a lot of the mentions above, I really liked Yu Yu Hakusho's dub back in the day, though I haven't revisited it in years. I'm also quite fond of Neon Genesis Evangelion's dub, but that could be nostalgia talking.

Michiko & Hatchin's dub isn't as strong as the original voice cast, but I'd recommend it anyway for an opportunity to watch a unique series.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fullmetal Alchemist in both iterations has a fantastic dub, bar the occasional background mook.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, NANA is a great dub that rivals the already amazing Japanese performance.

Johnny Yong Bosch is great as always in Code Geass.

Deleted member 643

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the show Your Lie in April in sub multiple times prior, and I think the dub is one of the finest I've ever heard. Completely captures the nuance of the show

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget the positively wonderful Fullmetal alchemist: brotherhood dub.

Basically everything else I would recommend has already been mentioned.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chronologically (as in not a sequel to a previous series), Space Dandy is the last English dub I watched and that was in 2015. It was actually great.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
When did people start liking the DBZ dub, and with the new music no less? I remember people hating it with a passion bitd.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
When did people start liking the DBZ dub, and with the new music no less? I remember people hating it with a passion bitd.
From my experience, you saw people articulating hate for it on the internet in the late 90s and early 00s, but as the generation that grew up with the dub got older, a lot more love for it started to pop up once those people were able to articulate their own ideas. Granted, plenty of people still hate it.

Edit - Dammit I did not mean to double post

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Trigun is really good.

I actually can't stand the Japanese voice acting. Something about the main character just sounds really off.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Given the surrounding quality of the anime and the characters being shit (both shitty people and shittily written, in and out of their dub) I kinda wanna give it a pass? Basically it's garbage humour for garbage humour sake, and some of it is still really funny.

Most of the suggestion I'd offer are there....The Slayers had a great dub and a wonderful 90s gem.

It is very funny but some humour is really crude. At one scene a posessed 8 year old girl (Snow ghost episode) shouts "I want cock".

I second Slayers, though they cut the music in the preview sequences.

Also Nadia Secret of Blue Water has a good English dub. Voice actors were in their teens back then.

Kaleido Star dub is also good for a kids series. Takes place in USA after all.

exhume

Oct 25, 2017
One Punch Man is brilliant, don't think anyone's mentioned that one yet.
Also Little Witch Academia, if you like wholesome shoujo fun.

CUD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most dubs to me are pretty bad but there are some I have watched that were alright. I liked DBZ dubbed but I can't sit through Super dubbed. Others that I enjoyed were Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann and Trigun.

These days I only watch subs though.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
From thing more recent, I can say the following:

Jojo Bizarre Adventures Dubs are superb, I love them, they even doing the accent good!
Black Butler dubs are surprisingly really good too.
Hellsing OVAs Dubs are amazing too.
NEW GAME!! Dubs are just perfect too, this one is about game developing, quite good on that, but with cute girls and fanservice. But that is just like 10% of it, most of it its game developing and is quite interesting to say the least.

Hmm... I seen more, but can't remember, but you can check those atm.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex has the best English dub and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is an amazing woman.

Black Lagoon also has a really good English dub.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most shows nowadays have great dubs so I would just look into whatever fits your current mood and see if it has a dub (if it's on Funimation, you can be 99% sure it'll be great). Can't go wrong with the shows that have been recommended already.

However, if you want to see something that is made so much better by its English dub that watching it in Japanese is unimaginable, then let me add to the "Baccano!" recommendations. Don't even read anything about and just watch it knowing nothing, you'll enjoy it!

The One Piece dub is an insult to Luffy's character

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

(What does it do wrong? I've never found any issue with it)

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's the best way to watch dubbed anime legally outside the US or am I shit out of luck?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Kaleido Star dub is also good for a kids series. Takes place in USA after all.

I have disagree with this. Have you watched it lately? It's a good show but the dub is AWWWWWWFUL. A lot of the acting just sounds stiff and wooden with a lot of the timing sounding way off, I swear whoever handled the voice direction must've been a complete newbie.

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex has the best English dub and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is an amazing woman.

Black Lagoon also has a really good English dub.

PREACH! Agree on both counts!

Most shows nowadays have great dubs so I would just look into whatever fits your current mood and see if it has a dub (if it's on Funimation, you can be 99% sure it'll be great). Can't go wrong with the shows that have been recommended already.

However, if you want to see something that is made so much better by its English dub that watching it in Japanese is unimaginable, then let me add to the "Baccano!" recommendations. Don't even read anything about and just watch it knowing nothing, you'll enjoy it!

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

Agreed. I've been watching a bunch of stuff on Funimation Now. From Centaur's Life to My Hero Academia and it's been a delight. Only thing close to a bad dub I watched has probably been The Reflection. But the whole show is really strange and "slow".

What's the best way to watch dubbed anime legally outside the US or am I shit out of luck?

What country are you in? Funimation has expanded their service to other countries like the UK and New Zealand last I heard.

Oct 29, 2017
From thing more recent, I can say the following:

Jojo Bizarre Adventures Dubs are superb, I love them, they even doing the accent good!
Black Butler dubs are surprisingly really good too.
Hellsing OVAs Dubs are amazing too.
NEW GAME!! Dubs are just perfect too, this one is about game developing, quite good on that, but with cute girls and fanservice. But that is just like 10% of it, most of it its game developing and is quite interesting to say the least.

Hmm... I seen more, but can't remember, but you can check those atm.
I wouldn't really recommend the first 2 seasons of Black Butler though. They're... not great.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Depends on where you are really. Is FunimationNow not in the UK, Australia or NZ?

Honestly if you're in a country where the service isn't available then you probably don't have access to English dub DVDs either so at that point just "dark side" those shows. Not really morally reprehensible since the goods/service aren't provided. Or at least that's my opinion, as someone who had to watch anime illegally for years because I used to live in a country where nothing was available.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I'll check it out thanks (I'm an Aussie). How's the library size, as I have specific tastes when it comes to anime (not nearly as creepy as that sounded..)

Unless they have some kind of Netflix deal where certain things aren't streamed in certain territories, I'd say pretty expansive. Plenty of old (DBZ) and new (Knights and Magic) stuff. Diversity for every genre from shonen (My Hero Academia) to Shoujo (Kamisama Kiss) and even naughtier stuff like Cat Planet Cuties. I'd day the only real drawback is DB Super isn't available dubbed yet for some weird reason.

I know they offer some stuff for free, but the full paid service is 7.99 USD IIRC.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
School Rumble's is pretty good

"You think you can hurt me like i'm some pretty boy who you can slap on the ass and say cook me dinner?

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I have disagree with this. Have you watched it lately? It's a good show but the dub is AWWWWWWFUL. A lot of the acting just sounds stiff and wooden with a lot of the timing sounding way off, I swear whoever handled the voice direction must've been a complete newbie.

Maybe you are right. Dont remember much, but for a kids series it was OK.

Also Kurogane Communication and Princess Yucie have good English dubs

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Afro Samurai has Samuel L. Jackson! So that's a plus, can't really remember how the rest of the cast was. Great score too btw.

nick shaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

the english VA for Luffy is doing a terrible gravelly performance for children, its stupidly cartoonish and has no depth or range at all. the japanese VA, on the other hand, is insanely good and sounds perfect for the character

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Baccano's dub is better than the JP audio. It a story about a 1930s mafia and the dub actually has period accurate accents.

Good luck finding it via streaming or bluray though.

DreamedLint

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the work done by NYAV Post. Particularly Berserk 1997 and Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. Though they both share many cast members, they do showcase a remarkable range.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I greatly enjoy the English dub of Speed Grapher.

However, I'm not well-versed in anime (I like a handful and looove a few), so I'm not sure how Speed Grapher compares to others that have been suggested by more knowledgeable folk.

After lurking on the old forum for the past five years, this has the dubious distinction of being my first post.

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Boah is a terrible OVA that makes up for it's unoriginal plotting with completely over the top violence and absurd moves. The dub is The Room of dubs. It's awful, but remains throughly entertaining every step of the way.