Oct 25, 2017
latest

JoeG

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega Bass Fishing is the GOAT. Played a shitload of it in the arcades as a kid, and now its on Steam for like less than 10 bucks (fishing rod controller not included, sadly).

Sega Bass Fishing or Sega Marine Fishing on Dreamcast w the Dreamcast Fishing Controller is the pinnacle of video game fishing. Especially paired with a cooler of cold beers!

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the Sega Bass Fishing games, Breath of Fire 3/4, Dark Cloud 2, and Animal Crossing. Not the best ones at it, but I enjoyed them nonetheless. Nier was very awkward since I didn't know what the hell I was doing, lol.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually enjoy the Stardew Valley fishing, it's fun. I haven't played much games that have fishing (or used the mechanic in a game). Fished in WoW though. It was too dull though.

Wish BotW had a fishing minigame. That would be awesome, hate swimming to catch fishies.

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV and Breath of Fire IV instantly come to my mind. I usually hate fishing minigames with a passion, but those two games actually made it entertaining.

FRENDEN

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the way Yonder handled it was fun and challenging enough without bordering into frustrating.

You pull the analog in the opposite direction of the way the fish is pulling. That's indicated by the moving arrow. Harder fish are more erratic. Easier fish are more sedate and require less directional changes. Seemed pretty elegant.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza fishing before Zero. With the most crazy buttrock ever and so many barrels.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved fishing in Harvest Moon 64. It was simple and fun. :) Also, you could make a ton of money early on in the game with fishing.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
Sega Bass Fishing is the GOAT. Played a shitload of it in the arcades as a kid, and now its on Steam for like less than 10 bucks (fishing rod controller not included, sadly).
Came to mention Sega Bass Fishing! I got it and the fishing controller as part of a huge dirt cheap dreamcast bundle, and originally played it with some friends as a joke, but it turned out to be really fun.

We cooked a bunch of fish sticks for lunch, and made the rule that you had to catch a fish to earn a fish stick. Between that stupid eating game, the beer (gotta have beer when fishing!), and the terrific fishing controller, Sega Bass Fishing might be one of my fondest gaming memories. No other fishing game (or minigame) has come close for me.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm not going to lie, one of the main reasons I'm excited to play FFXV is for the fishing.

Animal Crossing's is really enjoyable for me. Not so much for the actual mechanic, but having to run up and down the river and beach looking for dark shadows and hoping it was the type you needed.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really liked the fishing in Stardew Valley, surprisingly. It was difficult, but kind of rewarding and skill-based in a pretty fun way. Most fishing mini-games are pretty simple and bare-bones, so I really appreciated it. It's cool, because just by how the fish moves on the gauge, you really do get a feel for which type it is. Made me feel like I was becoming a real knowledgeable angler.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the fishing in Digimon World a lot after kinda despising it at first. That one fishing game in the 3DS' street plaza is pretty cool too.

Now I'm excited to try Stardew Valley!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I'm addicted to videogame fishing for some reason. I blame the Zelda games, especially Link's Awakening.
I particularly enjoy fishing in MMOs, I spent a lot of time filling that damn log in FF14. Also, it was a pretty fun job in Fantasy Life if I recall correctly. I didn't mind it in FF15, Noctis' random comments about his passion for fishing were hilarious in the french dub.

If only Breath of the Wild had fishing. Sigh...
No, mass murdering the fish or just picking them up doesn't count.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
When I think about fishing mechanics in games I sometimes find it more surprising that I even like them at all, because I honestly can't stand doing it in real life lol.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I found these annoying:
-FF 15

This so much. I love fishing in video games, so I was totally psyched to fish with the bros, but I found the mechanics to be a real pain. I think I only really fished to complete a certain side quest.

Anyways, I love fishing in Ocarina of Time and Animal Crossing. Haven't tried any actual fishing simulators, but I'd be willing to give one a try.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody enjoy the Persona 5 fishing? I heard it was good, but was too busy grinding slinks to ever attempt it in my playthrough.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time fishing.

Fishing_Hat_Large.jpg

I rest my case.

Although I'm sure other games have done something similar. But doing this never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Ocarina probably isn't the "best," but it's definitely the one I played the most.

Lyonaz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love Fishing Resort, port it to Nintendo Switch please.

Also loved fishing in Zelda OoT.
I always enjoy fishing minigames.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me too :)
The only thing in Botw I really disliked was "fishing". It would have been so cool to have a rod to fish in so many different lakes/rivers... and I hated the fish-bombing mechanics :(
I guess they wanted to streamline it, since you need to gather a lot of material in the game, specially fish to cook, they would have had to use a new item, and posibly a different button for it, which therefore would have used a slot, I am certain it was there at some point, but definitely got cut out and I understand why.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I despised fishing in Stardew Valley until I realized how to actually play it. I don't know why but I just couldn't figure it out at first, now id say it's my favorite. Between grabbing treasure and trying to catch a tricky fish. Good times.

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to actual fishing games, Sega Bass is untouchable.

Games with a fishing mini game, I would have to say Dark Chronicle.

Also, no fishing in BOTW is really disappointing.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Once it clicked, I quite liked the fishing in NieR (the original).

The problem is it doesn't click for most and I think it's because the in-game tutorial is both exceptionally brief and misleading haha.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been sure if Breath Of Fire 3's fishing is good or bad because I was obsessed with that game as a kid and played it a lot, but I like the fishing in it.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Farcry 5 is gonna have a very deep fishing element so curious how that turns out.