Oct 27, 2017
Loki. This guy is not a good villain. Don't get me wrong, Tom has Loki down through and through and I enjoy his portrayal, but he never feels like a threat - and I don't think he really forces reflection on or from the hero better than other antagonist in the films. My feelings watching Loki usually oscillate between shaking my head at his pettiyness and saying "aahhh, Loki.. not again, you rascal!"

That's precisely the feeling you're supposed to get from Loki. He's the trickster God. He's not taking any of this seriously.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Official Top 5 List That Happens to Not Feature Killmonger. Not Because He Isn't A Good Villain, But Because I haven't Seen Black Panther Yet:

1. Grant "Taskmaster" Ward
  2. Scott Buck
  3. Kilgrave
  4. Winter Soldier
  5. Aida

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
1. Loki, though he's become less villainous since Avengers
2. Killmonger
3. Vulture
4. Ego
5. Zemo

I would have put Obadiah Stane on the list if it weren't for the letdown of him jumping into the Iron Monger suit. It started a bad trend of the MCU villain being an evil version of the hero. Hela from Thor Ragnarok had good moments, but I feel like they dropped the ball with her potential. I also really liked Kingpin in Daredevil Season 1, but I haven't watched the other Netflix series.

Winter Soldier is a great character but I never viewed him as a villain. To me, he was just a tragic Hydra pawn who Steve was trying to both stop and save.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
What happens with Loki is that his character resembles exactly as how the "Norse Mythology" Loki is supposed to be, same traits and behaviors. A mischievous god who make some pretty mess from time to time and betrays Thor as often as changing his pants. The actor makes an absolutely amazing job doing Loki but the character himself is not a surprise.

My top 3.

1. Killmonger
2. Winter Soldier
3. Hela

Oct 27, 2017
1. Killmonger by a mile
2. Zemo, a very underrated, subtle villain
3. Vulture
4. Hela
5. Ego
6. Winter Soldier/Pierce
7. Loki

If Tony Stark counts for Civil War, he would be up there too.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Thanos might be the most hyped villain in a movie when it comes to not knowing his power, I feel he's got to kill someone like Captain America to be worth the hype.

I have posted my prediction on that very subject elsewhere on Era.

End of Part 1.

*Cap is brutally beaten and barely standing*

Cap: I can do this all day.....

Thanos: No........you can't.

*killshot*

Part 2 the team and the new additions (Cpt. Marvel etc etc) heroically avenge Cap's sacrifice by finally succeeding against Thanos and his goons.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
And I still really liked Vulture. Keaton was absolutely terrifying at times, especially that scene in the car.

That car scene is one of the best scenes in the entire MCU. Peter's just a kid who can't yet handle an adult, intelligent, and serious villain like Vulture. So he's totally out of his element when things get that personal and hit too close to home.

I loved how small-scale Spider-Man Homecoming felt compared to the rest of the MCU. I'm much more invested with the villain acting this human, believable, and personal. It's much more threatening than someone trying to destroy the world.

Great writing turned the friggin' Vulture, a B-tier Spider-Man villain, into one of the best villains in the MCU. Keaton's acting is a huge factor as well. The best three villains so far in Loki, Killmonger, and Vulture are all buoyed by incredible, memorable performances from their actors.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
This is a two horse race between Killmonger and Loki.

Worst is Ultron. Really wish they didn't Disneyfy Ultron up. He should have had a Dalek's personality, and he should have looked like this:

Avengers-Age-of-Ultron.jpg

It's okay to scare kids every now and again Disney.
Spader was good, but yeah I'll never not cringe at AOU Ultron's ridiculous robo-lips.

"I'm made of the world's strongest metal. Which casually bends to form vowel sounds."

plain

Oct 27, 2017
1. Vulture
2. Kilmonger
3. Obadiah
4. Ego
5. Winter Soldier

Vulture is the best so far. Keaton was amazing.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
1.Killmonger
2.Winter Soldier
3.Vulture
4.Ego
5.Loki

Then we're getting into ranking trash.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The one who had the most villanious moment was Ego, closely followed by Vulture. What matters isn't how big the destruction is but rather how personal it is.

Oct 26, 2017
I am truly surprised how many liked Hela. She was so forgettable, and she had way too many corny speeches to folks. Or maybe corny isn't right word. Just bad.

Nov 30, 2017
1. Killmonger
2. Zemo
3. Loki
4. Vulture
5. Red Skull

If we are counting WS as a villain, then I would put Tony as #1. He invents Ultron, hoping to save the world but destroys a whole city instead, is the antagonist till he goes full villain in CW.

He's basically Killmonger, just without the rage, until end of CW

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hela and Winter Solider are probably my favourite.

Vulture no doubt has the best theme though. Sounds like a predator is hunting for its prey, which is somewhat fitting

Nov 30, 2017
I am truly surprised how many liked Hela. She was so forgettable, and she had way too many corny speeches to folks. Or maybe corny isn't right word. Just bad.

It's because her hips and how hot she was. Plus her Hamminess just worked with the tone of the movie. Actually made her a better villain because she was so hammy.

Had she been this feel sorry for me villain, it would have been contrasting as hell to the movie

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
1. Killmonger
2. Zemo
3. Vulture
4. Loki
5. Hela

If we are counting WS as a villain, then I would put Tony as #1. He invents Ultron, hoping to save the world but destroys a whole city instead, is the antagonist till he goes full villain in CW.

He's basically Killmonger, just without the rage, until end of CW
Tony being antagonistic doesn't make him a villain. Maybe in the comics, but definitely not in the MCU

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Worst part of Thor Ragnarok was that there wasn't enough Hela. Hammy af, loved her

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Number 1 is probably AIDA. She was the only MCU villain that actually inspired fear in me.

Second is probably Kingpin. A force of sheer will.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
How is Winter Soldier a villain then?
Tony and (Bucky as) the Winter Soldier aren't comparable in their actions, intent, or context in the narratives.

Simply being against the protagonist doesn't make that character the villain, just like the protagonist can also be the villain of a story.

Also I'd say that once Bucky stops solely being presented as the Winter Soldier in that movie, he ceases to be a villain. His role in the narrative changes

Tony may be against Cap in Civil War, but they're still allies and Tony is acting out of concern and other motivations that you can't really classify as being an antagonistic threat. Creating Ultron may be a short-sighted move, but it doesn't make him the villain of the movie. It makes him flawed

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
  1. Abomination
  2. Tony Stark's alcoholism
  3. Ego
  4. Killmonger
  5. Thor 2: The Dark World

PhotonicBrain

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
AIDA.

God I loved how she went from just a digital assistant to a robot assistant to creating a new model of herself with a PhotonicBrain.

Then she creates a virtual double of herself as a villainous alter ego to a real human person who you THINK may stray from being a villain until that ONE SCENE, and I know you know that scene, I almost crapped myself at that twist, and she becomes this invincible super inhuman villain hell bent at destroying everything.

Loved it.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Killmongerer
Vulture
Hela
Ego
Kaecilius

Kaecilius and Obadiah (Iron Man) are underrated.

Nov 30, 2017
Tony and (Bucky as) the Winter Soldier aren't comparable in their actions, intent, or context in the narratives.

Simply being against the protagonist doesn't make that character the villain, just like the protagonist can also be the villain of a story.

Also I'd say that once Bucky stops solely being presented as the Winter Soldier in that movie, he ceases to be a villain. His role in the narrative changes

Tony may be against Cap in Civil War, but they're still allies and Tony is acting out of concern and other motivations that you can't really classify as being an antagonistic threat. Creating Ultron may be a short-sighted move, but it doesn't make him the villain of the movie. It makes him flawed

At the end of CW he was on a mission to kill Bucky, had Cap not been there he would have done it.

TWS is not a villain because he is being mind controlled. If his brain was completely gone and Cap would have to kill him or put him down then yah he would be

Nov 30, 2017
That doesn't make him a villain

At the end of TDK, is Two Face a villain? Or just a tragic protagonist vying revenge for his loved one being killed.

It took 5 movies for Tony to become the villain. First him suffering PTSD due to IM 1 and at the end of Avengers. Then because of the PTSD creating Ultron which brought death and destruction, then because of creating Ultron siding with the Gov't to keep himself in check and forcing others to side with him, ultimately resulting in a fight between him and Cap, which results in him finding out Bucky killed his parents, which caused him to snap and end up almost murdering someone.

Steve not only had to protect Bucky, but he had to protect Tony from making the biggest mistake of his life. And because of Tony's actions the Avengers are done and whatever superheroes sided with Tony are basically working for the UN.
And if previous movies have taught us anything about governing parties in the MCU, they all have anterior motives rather than true altruism like the Avengers stand for.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33761

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 19, 2017
1. Vulture
2. Kilgrave
3. Winter Soldier
4. Cottonmouth
5. Billy Russo

I thought Killmonger could've been better. He didn't really do anything above and beyond for me. Plus they you know, can't have kept him around

pramod

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That car scene is one of the best scenes in the entire MCU. Peter's just a kid who can't yet handle an adult, intelligent, and serious villain like Vulture. So he's totally out of his element when things get that personal and hit too close to home.

Yeah it was an all time classic movie scene. The only other scene I can think of that came close to that level of tension was this one from Iron Man 1:

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Hela's design and thought Kate Blanchet was pretty good but the character herself wasn't that amazing

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
It's Aida. She is scary as fuck.
Loki
Ego

Killmonger was great until he becomes King, at which point he just becomes another generic dickhead villain with poorly thought out plans that he rushes into. The talk with his father is the last moment he is a great character, until his last scene.

Hela was badass, slapped the turds out of everyone. Probably would have won if they hadn't resorted to blowing asgard up. But she had no personality beyond "I'm angry and mean."

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
malekith (thor 2)
ego (guardians 2)
thanos
whiplash (iron man 2)
yellowjacket (ant man)

shout out to electro

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
  • Erik Killmonger - His introduction and conclusion were both very powerful. One of the few villains I was content with being killed off at the end.
  • Emil Blonsky - Something about seeing a grizzled special forces vet not afraid to fight Hulk in a straight up fight was cool. And I liked how he became more broken each time he took the serum. As Stark said, they should've kept that program on ice.
  • Helmut Zemo - Could've used more screen time but I liked his deception and how well executed his plan was.
  • Obadiah Stane - Very smart and resourceful villain that was a well portrayed threat to Tony. Probably could've kept him around a bit longer.
  • Red Skull - Weaving's peformance, good design, and a faithful enough interpretation of the character. They didn't explicitly kill him off, too, so maybe he's due to return.
Still need to watch Thor 3, Dr. Strange, and GotG 2 before I can judge the villains in those.

Chepe

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much asking which turd smells better, but for the lone exception of KILLMONGER. They tried their hardest to fuck him up by making him go cartoon villain 2/3s through the movie but his death and final words sealed his place as the King of shit mountain.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're all bad.

All superhero movies have weak villains, except for the GOAT The Dark Knight. Maybe rises too cause bane is so quotable and steals the show Everytime he is onscreen

Edit - actually I'll put doc oc up there as a great villain for spiderman 2

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of TDK, is Two Face a villain? Or just a tragic protagonist vying revenge for his loved one being killed.

It took 5 movies for Tony to become the villain.

I know Era isn't a fan of Tony but jesus people thinking is a villain now? People are looking for any reason to hate him now.

Seriously, if you think Tony is a villain, I seriously doubt you know what a villain is.

Antagonistic, yes, but Villain? No.

Also why do people forget that Bruce helped create Ultron as well?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
I know Era isn't a fan of Tony but jesus people thinking is a villain now? People are looking for any reason to hate him now.

Seriously, if you think Tony is a villain, I seriously doubt you know what a villain is.

Antagonistic, yes, but Villain? No.

Also why do people forget that Bruce helped create Ultron as well?

I wasn't hating on Tony. I was just stating if WS is a villain then he is as well