Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
The Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle has got me wondering what the modern scene looks like. I confess I haven't paid any attention to this genre in a long while. Are there modern exemplars of the genre I should check out?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish there was a home version of this:

02_TMNT_RT_Shredder.jpg

It's a great homage to the original arcade game. My kid loves playing it.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
The Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle has got me wondering what the modern scene looks like. I confess I haven't paid any attention to this genre in a long while. Are there modern exemplars of the genre I should check out?
Do you count 3D games? Because I'd say Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi would be the best.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
There is a dearth of modern Capcom beat them ups, unfortunately.

I grew up on Final Fight and Punisher but I guess my demographic is too small nowadays. People prefer gunplay to fistplay. SMH.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a dearth of modern Capcom beat them ups, unfortunately.

I grew up on Final Fight and Punisher but I guess my demographic is too small nowadays. People prefer gunplay to fistplay. SMH.

Dude the genre is bigger and better than ever. Look above at Fight'N Rage. 99 Vidas. River City Ransom Underground. The Takeover. Streets of Fury.

The list goes on and on, there's tons of great side-scrolling beat-em-ups nowadays that are great.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked Anarchy Reigns and was going to recommend it but I see there wasn't a PC port (?). It's on PS3 and the 360.
9z6.jpg

If you want story and minigames in a fun beat em up, the Yakuza series is great.
yakuza-2-3-1024x576.jpg

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Fight N' Rage is an incredible modern beat em up.

It's Fight N Rage.

https://youtu.be/P2ujLI3FgQY

Fun combo system, many branching/secret paths and tons of neat little references to streets of rage and street fighter.
I still need to play this, heard it's hard though.
I think The TakeOver is worth a mention, even though we're coming up on 3 years in early access.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/418620/The_TakeOver/
That game will be released sometime next year from what I heard.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Dude the genre is bigger and better than ever. Look above at Fight'N Rage. 99 Vidas. River City Ransom Underground. The Takeover. Streets of Fury.

The list goes on and on, there's tons of great side-scrolling beat-em-ups nowadays that are great.

Those aren't modern capcom beat them ups tho. For reference, I'd like a game with some 3D characters of about Street Fighter 4 complexity in animation and modeling.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I echo the statements about Fight 'N Rage, it's a good take on the genre.

I also recently started playing Double Dragon Neon on XBLA and it's pretty slick, I didn't like the way it looked when it came out but it's actually pretty good considering.

tumblr_mnzkiwm9hw1qgly4jo2_500.gif

As far as more adventure beat em ups go I think the Yakuza series constantly delivers. I've been playing the recent Judge Eyes and the combat is fantastic.

AdorableImmaterialEland-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I love Castle Crashers and everything about it.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

Dang, I need to play these ones listed. I wonder about other beat em ups of today.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Is this game actually good? Just checked out the Steam page and it has mostly negative reviews. Never heard of it, but I'm always down for a good beat em up. That being said, between that gif and the steam reviews I can't tell if this post is trying to be ironic.

Quiet Man posts are all joking. It's a legitimate worst game of all time contender.

Also, I'll second all the Yakuza votes, but I feel like that's cheating, since those games have sort of pushed beyond "just" being a brawler.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
I still need to play this, heard it's hard though.

Yup, actually really tough to even make it through the whole the campaign. I have yet to beat the game, but have played only for a couple hours. Enemies can drain your health bar super quick and juggle you in the air for massive damage. Was a wake up call after so many years of sailing through streets of rage games :-P

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Fight'n Rage and Yakuza 0 (well, the entire series) are obvious choices. River City Ransom Underground is also quite good.
However, one of the best beat'm ups I have recently played would be "The friends of Ringo Ishikawa"

You are playing as a Japanese high school delinquent gang leader. There are bunch of mini games, interesting fighting system, and a pretty good story actually. It's a great and underrated game that everyone who loved stuff like OG River City Ransom games or Beat'm Ups with a story (kind of 16-bit Yakuza :P) would love.

There is training, school work, and time management. It's really an amazing game all coded by a single dev.

ss_755e2befccff68cbf1b792cce040f4f0767661bf.600x338.jpg

ss_27f5bf50bf92467e8f1594e74477423490071f62.600x338.jpg

ss_ff646e5670aa468c45f5d9281c2faa7dfa0cff8e.600x338.jpg

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fight'n Rage and Yakuza 0 (well, the entire series) are obvious choices. River City Ransom Underground is also quite good.
However, one of the best beat'm ups I have recently played would be "The friends of Ringo Ishikawa"

You are playing as a Japanese high school delinquent gang leader. There are bunch of mini games, interesting fighting system, and a pretty good story actually. It's a great and underrated game that everyone who loved stuff like OG River City Ransom games or Beat'm Ups with a story (kind of 16-bit Yakuza :P) would love.

There is training, school work, and time management. It's really an amazing game all coded by a single dev.

This one's coming to Switch next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Still haven't played Ringo, so I gotta go with Aces Wild and the already mentioned Fight'n'Rage.

Also, small shout out for the 2D chinese DMC-like Rain Blood:

Tough both Capcom bundles (Chronicles of Mystara and the recent Beat'em Up) also have some of the best games of all time in the genre - Shadow over Mystara, Battle Circuit. Shame AVP will probably never get a port.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Still haven't played Ringo, so I gotta go with Aces Wild and the already mentioned Fight'n'Rage.

Also, small shout out for the 2D chinese DMC-like Rain Blood:

Tough both Capcom bundles (Chronicles of Mystara and the recent Beat'em Up) also have some of the best games of all time in the genre - Shadow over Mystara, Battle Circuit. Shame AVP will probably never get a port.

Wow nice didn't know about these two games. Aces Wild looks great!

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
DD: Neon, Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds, and Dragon's Crown are all a bit older now but they're some of the more particularly fun modern beat em ups I can recall, though for the first two I definitely think a lot of it is lead by either music or aesthetics

Also Streets of Rage Remake is still one of the most fun ways to re-experience SoR, wish it was repackaged into a paid and branded experience like Sonic Mania was

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It completely sucks how so few modern entries in the genre are arcade structured. I really can't get into stuff like Double Dragon Neon, Dragon's Crown, Scott Pilgrim, and Castle Crashers.

Fight n Rage seems good, though!

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Fist Of The North Star: Lost Paradise was developed by the same team that did the Yakuza games. It's pretty good.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks to the above I have added Fight N Rage to my wishlist. I did not care for DD Neon though.

DD: Neon, Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds, and Dragon's Crown are all a bit older now but they're some of the more particularly fun modern beat em ups I can recall, though for the first two I definitely think a lot of it is lead by either music or aesthetics

Also Streets of Rage Remake is still one of the most fun ways to re-experience SoR, wish it was repackaged into a paid and branded experience like Sonic Mania was

Now that they've done Sonia Mania, why don't Sega just pay to release this properly?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Fight n Rage has been by far the best one I've played so far of the modern beat em ups. It depends what you want though, in some ways it's very old school as it doesn't add RPG lite elements like many others do but for me that's one reason I love it. It also just feels satisfying to play because of how easy it is to cancel special moves into each other.

Oct 27, 2017
Mother Russia Bleeds is great and available on pretty much every platform. Fight & Rage is fun but I remember I had some issue with it. Maybe difficulty?

Straight up, The Takeover is amazing! It's on PC for early access right now but pretty damn complete. It'll be out on Switch too, fairly soon, to my understanding.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza games?

I bought Mother Russia Bleeds expecting a cool game with a cool ost, but bounced back after a few levels. The game can be annoying as some hits don't register properly if you're not standing on the same level as the enemy (or I'm just crap at it ;)).

Oct 30, 2017
It's this one here

2018-04-0218.35.57wqupg.jpg

Oh my god I need to play this.

Last edited:

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Those aren't modern capcom beat them ups tho. For reference, I'd like a game with some 3D characters of about Street Fighter 4 complexity in animation and modeling.

Nobody is putting that kind of work into old-school brawlers, but the various Musou/Warriors games and the Yakuza series/spinoffs have elements of what you're after mixed with other more modern/cross-genre elements.