PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tbf, it's kinda of a recent development. Many did the same as you :(
That makes it not so bad I guess. Couldn't lug it around all those years to be fair. Good to know if I want to get another one. What's the identifier to know someone is selling a 60Gb PAL version, anyone know?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
That makes it not so bad I guess. Couldn't lug it around all those years to be fair. Good to know if I want to get another one. What's the identifier to know someone is selling a 60Gb PAL version, anyone know?
For your reference. 2019.

www.psx-place.com

PS3 - "Research/Experimental" - NEC/TOKIN Capacitors Replacement - YLOD

[ATTACH] THIS GUIDE IS PURELY FOR RESEARCH AND EXPERIMENTAL PURPOSES, FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK! USE THE SYSCON UART DIAGNOSTICS FIRST TO CHECK THE...

As well as CPU delidding

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm on a slim, but I know the slot-mechanism will be a failure point to fix in the future. Top-loading is the safest.

But god damn, were my Singstar DLCs not locked to the current console forever and ever, I'd get that 60GB and pay to fix it now.

Sep 23, 2018
I'm on a slim, but I know the slot-mechanism will be a failure point to fix in the future. Top-loading is the safest.

But god damn, were my Singstar DLCs not locked to the current console forever and ever, I'd get that 60GB and pay to fix it now.

The auto-loading disc drive is the only part of the system that worries me.
I've only had the one PS3 and every time it slowly gobbles up a disc I'm reminded of its finite longevity. Maybe I shouldn't worry though, I've gone through three separate PS2s, each with their own disc drive / reading disc issues but the single PS3 slim I've had hasn't had a problem yet.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I got a CECH-40001, white.

Looking at CECH-43000, they only came out in Japan.

Tbf, I don't have that many games so not sure it's even worth it when my Super Slim lives in its box.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It's all going to be anecdotal but I've had my regular slim (the middle of the system's lifespan one, I suppose) for around 12 years now and I've never had any issues with it. I'm sure it'll fail eventually but it's still going strong for now. The real problem you're likely going to run into are the controllers. If you want an official one, they're getting rarer and rarer and don't last long these days.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
s-l500.jpg

Sorry for the late response I just got off from work. I found this Slim model CECH2101B on Ebay. It's just the system no controllers/cords, but it has some games installed on the hard drive. It looks like it's in OK condition.

I would highly suggest to buy one with an original controller
highly highly suggest
DS3s are basically ultra rare now

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
this thread reminded me that some of the last PS3 models manufactured were using GDDR5 in place of GDDR3. I wonder if there was any difference in performance from that?

If true knowing Sony they probably underclocked it in firmware for the sake of stability and compatibility with older games.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have 2 DS3s, but I use a Brook Wingman XE with my PSTV and PS3 when I plug it in.

That way I can use my DS4 or DS, or XB Elite 2.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
hmm that reminds me i have fake and real ds3 too
lemme see if i can any obvious differences

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
DSHMC has an option to check if the controller is genuine. Not sure how accurate it is

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Not really a risk anymore with the capacitor change and the delidding.

The noise levels, yeah. But delidding helps.

I have it stored and bought a Super Slim when it randomly shuts off with 3 beeps. I don't know if it's because of overheating or because of the data in the HDD being corrupted because it was an issue that happened in certain games

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I have it stored and bought a Super Slim when it randomly shuts off with 3 beeps. I don't know if it's because of overheating or because of the data in the HDD being corrupted because it was an issue that happened in certain games
That's most likely it needs a NEC capacitor replacement.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The Phat PS3 can be revived now.

Hmmm

I have two Phats... one that works perfectly that hasn't been turned on since May 2008 (old firmware)... been saving this to sell for a gazillion dollars to a Saudi Prince down the road.

And another that got the YLOD, that I boxed up.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm

I have two Phats... one that works perfectly that hasn't been turned on since May 2008 (old firmware)... been saving this to sell for a gazillion dollars to a Saudi Prince down the road.

And another that got the YLOD, that I boxed up.
They are worth reviving if they are BC. As for the one that works, the capacitor replacement and delidding will ensure it won't die because of those issues nor overheating.

Super slim doesn't use those capacitors afaik.
I think you misread. We are talking about Zombegoast 's stored fat model.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I think you misread. We are talking about Zombegoast 's stored fat model.

Ah mb. Yeah worth them giving it a shot. Usually you can put some hot air with a blow dryer through the exhaust to heat the caps up, if the console starts working again, even briefly, it might be a sign that the capacitors aren't working as well as they should, as the heat usually gives them a bit more life.

I would 100% recommend finding a professional to do the disassembly and repair though. It's pretty involved and just not what you want to be a first soldering project. Get them to delid and repaste the cell and rsx while they're at it.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I have a 60GB launch model that I bought a few years ago that's still working. It's on a CFW, but I really haven't turned it on much since I'd like to do that cap replacement to it at some point.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Question. Can I still buy and download PlayStation store games while using Hen/CFW? There are a few games I would like to pick up on the cheap(Xenogears) but I don't want to risk my account getting banned.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Question. Can I still buy and download PlayStation store games while using Hen/CFW? There are a few games I would like to pick up on the cheap(Xenogears) but I don't want to risk my account getting banned.

You can but there's always a risk of a ban when you connect to Sony's servers.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The auto-loading disc drive is the only part of the system that worries me.
I've only had the one PS3 and every time it slowly gobbles up a disc I'm reminded of its finite longevity. Maybe I shouldn't worry though, I've gone through three separate PS2s, each with their own disc drive / reading disc issues but the single PS3 slim I've had hasn't had a problem yet.
My PS3 slim won't read disks anymore. Opened it up and cleaned the lens and dusted and nada.

Wondering if another Slim or Super Slim is a safer replacement… Either way seems like a time bomb.
We need proper bc and not this dumb streaming service..

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
I learned you actually don't need to mod your PS3 to backup your digital games if the firmware is 4.88 or lower.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
A blueray drive in a PC is good for creating backups. Not sure how you can even back up a PS3 disc using a PS3.

As PS3s go, the slim is good and runs pretty quiet. Easy to upgrade the HDD in it too.

Shwing

Oct 25, 2017
If you make a backup of your PS3 hard drive you could dump your digital games and saves without having to worry about CFW. PSP games and PS1 games include EBOOT.PBP so they could be run on emulators.

I've never delved in PS CFW because it could lead to an account ban, though it's probably unlikely at this point.

Edit: I could probably write something up if anyone is interested in this process.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If you make a backup of your PS3 hard drive you could dump your digital games and saves without having to worry about CFW. PSP games and PS1 games include EBOOT.PBP so they could be run on emulators.

I've never delved in PS CFW because it could lead to an account ban, though it's probably unlikely at this point.

Edit: I could probably write something up if anyone is interested in this process.
I'm interested! I don't want to risk a ban just for backing up my games.

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Another vote for the Slim, specially the later ones. Mine's still working like it's out of the box.

Additionally, I just borrowed one of the first PS3's which is able to play PS2 games through hardware and it's awesome to be able to go through my old games without any hassle, and the resolution smoothing and subtly faster load times are simple but appreciated improvements. The downside with such PS3 models is that they're prone to suffering from YLOD and the disc drives can fail.

There are four versions of the slim

Cech 20xx: Still uses the old fat RSX 65mm with bad thermal paste, prone to YLOD. Has nec tokin capacitors.

Cech 21xx: uses RSX 40mm, removes nec tokin capacitors

Cech 25xx: Uses the newer RSX 40mm with reduce heat and power consumption. Also has updated WIFI and BT modules and optical drive

Cech 30xx: Loses the LED buttons and hidden LED strip. Smaller but quieter fan and uses a different kind of plastic that doesn't make the crackling sound. Loses Wi-Fi indicator.

Those are the big changes. The boards tend to be different and you cant delid later models because they glued the chips down.

Welp, mine's a CECH-2001A. Hope I don't jinx it with my post.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for the Slim, specially the later ones. Mine's still working like it's out of the box.

Additionally, I just borrowed one of the first PS3's which is able to play PS2 games through hardware and it's awesome to be able to go through my old games without any hassle, and the resolution smoothing and subtly faster load times are simple but appreciated improvements. The downside with such PS3 models is that they're prone to suffering from YLOD and the disc drives can fail.

Welp, mine's a CECH-2001A. Hope I don't jinx it with my post.
Fat models YOLD because of the capacitors, which can be replaced. They do the 3 beeps and shutdown because of CPU overheating, which is fixed by delidding.

Solution was found in 2019.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
If you want to play PlayStation 2 games, the fat model.

If you want longevity and less risk, the slim models.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
My slim fried on me and I had to pay out the ass for a new Super Slim which feels cheap as all hell but works fine, and had the benefit of coming with a new genuine DS3. DS3s get all sticky and nasty when they get old. I take really good care of my stuff and both my DS3s prior to the super slim had their sticks turn into goo.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
My slim fried on me and I had to pay out the ass for a new Super Slim which feels cheap as all hell but works fine, and had the benefit of coming with a new genuine DS3. DS3s get all sticky and nasty when they get old. I take really good care of my stuff and both my DS3s prior to the super slim had their sticks turn into goo.
Use a DS4 or DS with a Brook Wingman XE

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the primary issue with counterfeit DS3s is that there's no Sixaxis functionality with them?