Montresor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love puzzle games. I would really like to hear from restera members on this subject. Please let me know your favourite puzzle games. When making your suggestion/post, please describe the type of puzzle game you are discussing. Is it a first-person puzzle game with narrative elements (like Portal or QUBE)? Is it a 2D cinematic puzzle platformer (like Limbo or INSIDE)? Is it a visual novel that requires deductive reasoning (like Ace Attorney or Danganronpa)? And so on.

Some of my top picks are below. I do admit that in some cases, I'm stretching the definition of "puzzle" game. For example, I almost added Celeste to this list. I do like to think of it as a puzzle game (you have to piece together the correct moves to make in every platforming room), and Celeste is one of my all-time favourite games of last generation - but I decided against including it in my list. For posters contributing to this thread: Feel free to use a relaxed definition, because I would love to hear about as many puzzles in games as possible.

Anyhow, here is my list, in no particular order:

Botany Manor

Developed by: Balloon Studios
Released: April 9, 2024
Platforms: Xbox, Switch, and PC
Sub-Genre: First-person puzzle game with very mild narrative elements

Description: Welcome to Botany Manor, a stately home in 19th century England. You play as inhabitant Arabella Greene, a retired botanist. Explore your house and gardens, filled with research, to figure out the ideal habitat of forgotten flora. Grow each plant to discover the mysterious qualities they hold…

Why OP loves the game: This game's puzzles consist of "flower recipes". Throughout the game, you encounter flowers that you must help bloom - and the specific steps and materials needed to bloom each flower are puzzles unto themselves. It is really satisfying putting all the pieces together and seeing your flower bloom on-screen.

co5rg6.jpg

Cocoon

Developed by: Geometric Interactive
Released: September 29, 2023
Platforms: Playstation, Xbox, Switch, PC
Sub-Genre: 3D isometric

Description: Cocoon is a unique take on the puzzle adventure genre, where each world exists within an orb that you can carry on your back. Wrap your head around the core mechanic of leaping between worlds—and combine, manipulate, and rearrange them to solve intricate puzzles

Why OP loves the game: There were multiple moments in this game that made me audibly gasp and say to myself "I cannot believe that just happened". There are a lot of "world inside a world inside a world" shenanigans that occur in this game. I prefer not to elaborate further, to help preserve the surprise for prospective players.

co4v2z.jpg

Little Nightmares II

Developed by: Tarsier Studios
Released: February 10, 2021
Sub-Genre: 2D cinematic puzzle platformer, with strong horror elements

Description: Little Nightmares II is a suspense-adventure game in which you play as Mono, a young boy trapped in a world that has been distorted by the humming transmission of a distant tower. With Six, the girl in a yellow raincoat, as his guide, Mono sets out to discover the dark secrets of The Signal Tower and save Six from her terrible fate; but their journey will not be straightforward as Mono and Six will face a gallery of new threats from the terrible residents of this world. Will you dare to face this collection of new, little nightmares?

Why OP loves the game: For so long I've looked at Playdead as leaders of 2D cinematic puzzle platformers. Limbo set the original standard, and INSIDE redefined the standard. Little Nightmares II is a game that finally achieves that same level of quality. I loved the marriage between puzzles and platforming in this game, along with the moody, horror atmosphere that permeated every level.

OP's note: Don't pass on the original Little Nightmares! That one is good too!

co1p7d.jpg

Pentiment:

Developed by: Obsidian Entertainment
Released: November 15, 2022
Sub-Genre: 2D visual novel, murder mystery

Description: A 16th-century narrative adventure set in Upper Bavaria, following Andreas Maler, a journeyman artist working in the bygone scriptorium of Kiersau Abbey during a time of great social unrest. While finishing his masterpiece, Andreas inadvertently becomes entangled in a series of murders that take place over 25 years. Peasants, thieves, craftsmen, monks, nuns, nobles, and even saints must be investigated and interrogated to expose the truth.

Why OP loves the game: I'm a fan of great visual novels, and there is an emphatic uniqueness to this specific game that is really compelling. I haven't seen any other games set in the 16th century, with beautiful, 2D graphics and art style that evoke a masterful painting. I haven't seen any other games tackle the concept of time limited murder investigation the way this game does. And I haven't seen other games tackle religion, hsitory, and the epistemological notion of truth the way Pentiment does.

co4v1e.jpg

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

Developed by: Spike Chunsoft
Released: January 12, 2017
Sub-Genre: Visual novel murder mystery, with 3D first-person exploration interspersed

Description: Welcome to a new world of Danganronpa, and prepare yourself for the biggest, most exhilarating episode yet. Set in a "psycho-cool" environment, a new cast of 16 characters find themselves kidnapped and imprisoned in a school. Inside, some will kill, some will die, and some will be punished. Reimagine what you thought high-stakes, fast-paced investigation was as you investigate twisted murder cases and condemn your new friends to death.

Why OP loves the game: I love visual novels, and I love Battle-Royale-esque / Hunger-Games-esque / Squid-Games-esque death games. This game is peak fiction in my eyes.

OP's note: Don't forget the first two Danganronpa games!

co3a27.jpg

Tunic

Developed by: Andrew Shouldice
Released: March 16, 2022
Platforms: Playstation, Xbox, Switch, PC, Mac
Sub-Genre: 3D isometric adventure game, with Zelda-like and Dark-Souls-like battle system

Description: Tunic is an action adventure about a tiny fox in a big world. Explore the wilderness, discover spooky ruins, and fight terrible creatures from long ago.

Why OP loves the game: One part isometric Legend of Zelda, one part Dark Souls, one part Fez, and one part The Witness. Bake on oven rack at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. And voila - you have a masterpiece. But if I were to come up with one specific quality, the best part of the game overall, is the way the game treats its instruction manual. How you play the game is a mystery, and you slowly piece together the game mechanics, the game's purpose, the overworld, etc. by collecting pieces of the instruction manual one by one.

td1t8kb33gyo8mvhl2pc.jpg

There are a lot more puzzle games I'm leaving off this list, to help keep the OP shorter. Games like Braid, Portal 2, Fez, Limbo, INSIDE, The Turing Test, The Witness, Unravel, etc.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Baba is You is one of the best games I've ever played

It's a block pushing puzzle game where the blocks are words and you have to make sentences which form the rules of the stage to win. It's an absolute mind fuck which just keeps escalating.

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Baba is You is one of the best games I've ever played

It's a block pushing puzzle game where the blocks are words and you have to make sentences which form the rules of the stage to win. It's an absolute mind fuck which just keeps escalating.

I'm building a Switch 2 backlog for next year, and Baba Is You completely flew under my radar. Thanks for the suggestion.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Say it with me Montresor: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
tumblr_nd7ielYeEg1t6jvvlo1_500.gif

Also, Mario VS Donkey Kong might not be the best but it's definitely a ton of fun and there's a great amount of levels for you to complete. So I still suggest that!

El Crono

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Baba Is You will break you. But once you overcome its puzzles, you'll feel like the greatest genius.

Also, Return of the Obra Dinn.

Hud Hastings

Jul 1, 2018
Jonathan Blow is an absolute turd, but God did I love The Witness, when I only knew him to be the dude who cried on a documentary when Soulja Boy didn't understand his game.

But fuck, I went full graph-paper, completely obsessed, deeeep into The Witness the day it released. Completing "The Challenge" at the end was up there with the toughest FromSoft bosses in terms of sheer punching-the-air, heart-racing moments of accomplishment I've experienced in a game.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I really like Kine, I think it was a Stadia exclusive first so didn't get much attention, but it is out on more platforms now (Switch, PC at least, not sure what else)

Its hard to describe but vaguely Stephen's sausage roll with instruments that can change shape

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The Witness is one of the best games I've ever played. Just a genius game about teaching you rules.

Montresor can the 3rd DanganRompa game be played standalone? Or does it require knowledge of 1&2?

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian.
It's a very unique and influential style, especially Ico of course.

Kenaras

Nov 9, 2018
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I also loved Antichamber:

store.steampowered.com

Antichamber on Steam

Antichamber is a mind-bending psychological exploration game where nothing can be taken for granted. Discover an Escher-like world where hallways wrap around upon each other, spaces reconfigure themselves, and accomplishing the impossible may just be the only way forward.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Stephen's Sausage Roll is my favorite pure puzzle game. It really pushes the concept of sokoban and builds on its mechanics over the course of the game.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
A chance to praise BrainGood puzzle games? Don't mind if I do. They are some of the best puzzle games with strategy/tactics elements and emergent gameplay through randomization I have ever played.

View: http://store.steampowered.com/app/655480/Solar_Settlers

Solar Settlers is a board gamey tile placement styled game with space colonization theme. There is plenty of unlockable races with gameplay differences, and loads of content.

View: http://store.steampowered.com/app/577490

Minos Strategos is a game where you are general, who must fight back waves of savage minotaur onslaught with card powered attacks depending on placement of your own soldiers and minotaurs.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1070510/Militia_2/

Militia 2 goes is more of a tactics game, but still very puzzley. You need to clear floors after floors of marked enemies by using various units with uncentional and indirect attacks based on pushing enemies and objects and switching their positions.

ThrashPanda

Feb 22, 2024
Portal 2 for me. Not a massive fan of straight up puzzle games but Portal 2 is fantastic, especially in coop. Perfectly fine with puzzles in other games, just not usually straight up puzzle games.

Oct 29, 2017
Lowkey both BoTW and ToTK have each have like 100 really decent to great puzzles. I prefer doing shrines in these game than just about anything else (though a number of them are about combat instead of puzzles). Also helping the dude with the signs all over the map in ToTK.

Favorites are probably The Witness and Antichamber. Portal 2 might be my favorite game period, but that's not exactly for the puzzles, but the whole package.
TALOS Principle 1 probably has my favorite puzzles, TALOS 2 is also very good.

Also, Lemmings. Certified classic.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Ottawa
Not full on puzzle games, but if you want something interesting that'll really have you scratching your head and probably break you, you should check out La Mulana 1 + 2. Just be sure to buy notepads and take lots of notes.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
The Witness (GOAT puzzle game)
Baba is You (logic + sokoban)
Stephen's Sausage Roll (ruthlessness + sokoban)
Can of Wormholes (somewhat less ruthlessness + sokoban)
Patrick's Parabox (recursion + sokoban)

and to a lesser extent

Recursed (I think Patrick's Parabox is a better expression of recursion as a gameplay mechanic)
Escape Goat (easy but killer early 90s Apogee/Epic MegaGames artstyle)

Botenks

Oct 30, 2017
Animal Well
I haven't played it myself yet, but this recent metroidvania / puzzle platformer got pretty good reviews. The IGN review mentions that even after 40 hours of playtime, there were still secrets left to discover.
store.steampowered.com

Save 10% on ANIMAL WELL on Steam

Explore a dense, interconnected labyrinth, and unravel its many secrets. Collect items to manipulate your environment in surprising and meaningful ways. Encounter beautiful and unsettling creatures, as you attempt to survive what lurks in the dark. There is more than what you see.

Isles of Sea and Sky
This game isn't released yet but I still want to give it a shout-out as I liked the demo a lot. I played the steam next fest demo 2 years ago where it was still titled "Akurra". It's a sokoban style block pushing puzzle game with a nice nes-style asthetic and a mysterious story surrounding it. What's special about the game is that it's open world where you swim across various islands to discover and solve puzzles at your own pace.
There is still a demo here: https://cicada-games-official.itch.io/isles-of-sea-and-sky-chapter-1/devlog/402472/akurra-demo-v40
store.steampowered.com

Save 10% on Isles of Sea and Sky on Steam

A fantastic, oceanic, open world puzzle adventure. Solve innovative block puzzles while unearthing a mystifying story, gaining new friends that change the puzzle landscape, and unlocking powers that provide more options for how you choose to progress through the enigmatic Isles of Sea and Sky.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
In recent(ish) years, Boxboy and the gang were a lot of fun.

Side scrolling block puzzle games that get quite tricky in the further levels. 3DS and Switch.

2D Zelda please!

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Escape Simulator and Escape Academy both have a lot of fun puzzles in the Escape Room style. I mostly did them co-op but you can do it solo as well. Frin what I've played so far, Botany Manor feels very much like one of these games exploded out to a connected world.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435790/Escape_Simulator/

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1812090/Escape_Academy/

If you do have a co-op buddy, the We Were Here series is great for that. Mostly puzzles about communicating with your partner over VC where each of you needs information the other has and having to try and explain that over voice.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Puyo Puyo is my GOAT. It's a competitive puzzler, so you play 1v1 to try to make chains of combos to send junk pieces to the opponents and beat them out.

Also love Magical Drop, which is another competitive puzzler but with different gameplay.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Anything by Zachtronics is god-tier puzzling but I am sadly not big brained enough to truly appreciate it - I've played a bunch of these games and don't think I've finished a single one. TIS-100 is the closest I've come to completing one but purely because it's the closest in terms of content to my actual job, programming.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to Echochrome, an escheresque exploration of perspective and most elegant puzzle game ever made:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GybxIwfU4rI

On the puzzle platformer front, there's:
-Crush: Navigate the space by collapsing and expanding between a 2D and 3D platformer and all the perspective silliness that entails.
and
-Edge: Play as a cube, whose only ability is being able to tumble as high as the block is tall, and hang onto edges.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Talos Principle is my favorite. Phenomenal story, puzzles, and gameplay.

Tunic was atmospheric but clunky and had a final boss that was absurdly difficult. I found the game very disappointing. Thankfully, it has a phenomenal soundtrack.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Stephen's Sausage Roll is my favorite pure puzzle game. It really pushes the concept of sokoban and builds on its mechanics over the course of the game.
I really tried to like this, but I just could not wrap my head around it to the point where it felt fun/rewarding. Snakebird made me feel similarly. But I'm admittedly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so. 😅

OP
OP
Montresor

Montresor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think I'll ever play Chants of Sennar, and I think it's because it's a little too intimidating. I worry that i just won't understand the game. I've had experience with tough puzzle games that have required pen and paper brainstorming (like Fez, The Witness, and Return of the Obra Dinn - I beat and loved all those games). I just don't know if I have the energy to deal with something as obscure as the language in Chants of Sennar. I acknowledge that this game needs to be on a list of best puzzle games, I just don't know if I'll enjoy it.

Say it with me Montresor: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
tumblr_nd7ielYeEg1t6jvvlo1_500.gif

Ah! Another Switch 2 game to my list.

Manifold Garden (first person puzzler) doesn't get enough love on here.

It's such an epic experience, an artistic masterpiece. The game constantly made my hairs stand on end, it blew me away. Not hyperbole. Just the combination of clever mechanics and stunning use of art, and incredible atmosphere.

On sale on Steam right now too, bargain.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/473950/Manifold_Garden/

I absolutely LOVE Manifold Garden. It is such an exceptional "mind-bending" first person puzzle game. A fantastic game for fans of FPS puzzle games. If you like Portal or QUBE or The Turing Test, you'll love Manifold Garden.

Montresor can the 3rd DanganRompa game be played standalone? Or does it require knowledge of 1&2?

I recommend playing the first two Danganronpas. I would rather not answer your question directly, but I just think it'll be so fun and make much more sense to play 1, then 2, then 3.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Catherine has amazing block puzzle gameplay, doubly so if you do the arcade machine versions which are exclusively puzzle oriented

In the same block manipulation climbing genre we have one of the best:
SI_3DSDS_Pullblox_image1600w.jpg

Last edited:

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
A lot of incredible games listed in here! Baba is You and Tunic are probably my top two, but stuff like Chants and The Witness are not far behind.

Animal Well has the chance to be up there, too. I've only rolled credits on it, but the amount of stuff I found where I audibly gasped was more than a handful of times.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
While not the best I've played, the puzzle game that caught me most by surprise was this one game called Lock that was made in the PS4-exclusive Dreams game. It had interesting and varied puzzles and some surprises I wasn't expecting. Still, it being made in Dreams was what really shocked me. Didn't expect to see that level of game design in a hobbyist platform of mostly non-developers, so I guess that made it extra exciting to play through.

bc4cdca65a9f4f8a19c2d97b5d4343aa

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I really tried to like this, but I just could not wrap my head around it to the point where it felt fun/rewarding. Snakebird made me feel similarly. But I'm admittedly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so. 😅
It has a tough start for sure, and a unique way you need to control the character as well.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
For something completely different, I love Echoic Memory for Playdate. A music-puzzle game, basically, where you have to match tones.

play.date

Echoic Memory for Playdate

Echoic Memory is a musical puzzle game that utilizes the player's own sensory memory and a playful twist of the crank. With two modes, its story mode explores the meaning of memories.

2.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
My all-time favorite is Fez, a puzzle/adventure platformer.
Another one I love is Tametsi, which is a minesweeper style game.
I also enjoyed Mu Cartographer, which is a bit of a Myst-like in how the game is figuring out how various objects work.
If you're into note-taking and games that are "projects", La Mulana is a brilliant metroidvania heavy on the puzzles. Read the manual!
Is solitaire a puzzle? It think so. The Zachtronics Solitaire Collection is pure gold.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019
For something completely different, I love Echoic Memory for Playdate. A music-puzzle game, basically, where you have to match tones.

play.date

Echoic Memory for Playdate

Echoic Memory is a musical puzzle game that utilizes the player's own sensory memory and a playful twist of the crank. With two modes, its story mode explores the meaning of memories.

2.png
Ugh, I really need to get back into my playdate. I was playing the games one by one as they were released, and when I got up to this one I bounced off it. Not because it was bad, but because I played playdate when I was on boring meetings (sshhh) and this one didn't fit in. That was apparently all it took for it to gather dust on my shelf.

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely make my entire way through a puzzle game but Mole Mania laid its simple mechanics out in such a gentle curve that I couldn't help but keep playing until I solved each level.

Mole_mania_boxart.png