hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
It's not a low COL state at all. Obviously below the big coast states and such but no idea what cheapness you are referring to. Looking at a Forbes list it's 18th in highest COL. Maybe you are just thinking about the no sales tax on clothes?
Rollerblades were invented Here so I guess relatively it's bigger, but I wouldn't call it really big lol.
Oh and it's like 11 thousand lakes. :)

I haven't been there in a short while, but the other day one of my friends from there was complaining about $3.15/gal gas. Admittedly I haven't traveled a lot around the Midwest, but that's insane. I'm dealing with around $6 a gallon here.

I do live in California but I've traveled a lot to Nevada and Utah lately and even comparing prices in those places it still feels absolutely like Minnesota is life on 'easy mode.'

I know that's just two other states but I'd expect things to be cheap in say Utah, but comparatively it's not when discussing Minnesota

Ceramics

Dec 28, 2017
I love Minnesota dont really care to live anywhere else but if thats life on "easy mode" i am not fucking ready for hard and would actually like to dial it down to "very easy" if possible. Gas may be "cheap" I guess but everything else seems pretty fucking expensive!

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
I love Utah a lot and I think it's an amazing place to live especially if I want to turn off my brain and just live a peaceful happy life because the "problems" don't effect my life or my quality of life.

Very privileged take I know, but some of you are acting like Utah is a shit show. Very affordable, low cost of living, very kind and polite community, good paying jobs, great public transport, etc.

If you're straight and white and can ignore republican politics this shit is GOATED.

Stiletto

Jan 4, 2023
New Mexico is a beautiful & laid back state. I would not let that ranking deter folks from visiting to go hiking/fishing/camping.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
Utah is such an incredible place to relax and enjoy nature.

It also has one of the most hateful and disgusting cultures you can imagine. There is a reason why the teen suicide rate in Utah is one of the highest in the nation.

Source: Was raised Mormon in Utah Valley.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shame NY is too controversial to do better in these kinda lists. Far and away the best state imo.

My list would be
1. New York
2. Florida
3. California
4. Georgia
5. Massachusetts

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

It also has one of the most hateful and disgusting cultures you can imagine. There is a reason why the teen suicide rate in Utah is one of the highest in the nation.

I've only seen the beautiful places in Utah. Love the skiing and hiking the parks. Only get to experience the people as a tourist, so didn't get a feel for the culture.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Florida higher ed is great, like UF just got promoted to basically being considered an ivy league school. The state fucking sucks but yeah.

Moving from Louisiana to North Carolina in a few weeks so that's a nice upgrade lol

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
NYS being ranked in 23rd seems hilarious to me, but I guess not being a tax shelter or being completely bombed/rusted out hurt its ranking in this list.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Florida #1 in education according to this list is complete bullshit lol. Give me a break.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I love Utah a lot and I think it's an amazing place to live especially if I want to turn off my brain and just live a peaceful happy life because the "problems" don't effect my life or my quality of life.

Very privileged take I know, but some of you are acting like Utah is a shit show. Very affordable, low cost of living, very kind and polite community, good paying jobs, great public transport, etc.

If you're straight and white and can ignore republican politics this shit is GOATED.

I know quite a few ex Mormons that would really disagree with you about the very kind and polite part.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
The Oregon Washington disparity has me raising eyebrows lol.

Isn't Eastern WA just more dynamic and a better place to live than Eastern OR?

Also, WA steals a good third of Portland's suburbs and there's a huge gap between Seattle area's economy and Portland's economy because of the tech giant presence.

I mean I love the stretch of OR between Portland and Eugene (esp. Corvallis) but it's nothing like the stretch from Everett to Tacoma.

edit Utah is incredible and the only place I would live in the US besides the PNW is in Cache Valley.

Last edited:

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois is #38 on higher education ranking lol wut, some of the best universities in the world ar in Illinois

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I live in Reno (Nevada) and, like everywhere, it has its pluses and minuses.

The cost of living is high. We're paying $1,225 for a single bedroom apartment and the only reason we an even afford it is our dual income. It's nearly impossible for a person on a single income to make it.

Gas is expensive due to getting it from California.

Groceries are expensive.

With that said, the area is beautiful. Having access to the Sierra Nevada mountains and Lake Tahoe is awesome. Just yesterday, my wife and I were at an old quartz mine and found some amazing pieces (like this one with what's most likely copper in it) .

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia is for lovers and fans of the number 13 apparently.

Edit:
SiCCgmO.png

The Top 5 all have very similar flags. Coincidence? 🤨

dqslime

May 5, 2023
I visited a friend in MN last year and I had a great time in Minneapolis. I was there too briefly to make this kind of decision, but I could see myself living there despite only knowing one person there.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

But Utah is ranked #46 in "Nature" which means this list thinks Utah has shit for natural features. This list makes no sense.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Top 5 represent! Our politics are terrible but the quality of life and access to world class outdoor amenities is top notch.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
But Utah is ranked #46 in "Nature" which means this list thinks Utah has shit for natural features. This list makes no sense.
It's ranked #46 because of air/water quality. I'm not sure how they're rating that, but the Rockies do trap air pollution on the western side and if the Great Salt Lake is related to water quality in some way that makes sense. It's a gorgeous area, though.