• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Thought it'd be more interesting to frame this in a per generation context vs GOAT otherwise it'd probably be a bunch of Horizon: Forbidden West or Sea of Thieves posts (which are valid!). Of course this isn't just down to appearance but types of effect like ripples, wave simulation, how smaller bodies of water vs oceans and streams. For ripples Insomniac was on some other shit than most devs during PS3 gen, it looks kinda exaggerated today but for the time this was pretty mind blowing seeing 3d ripples. They had this going on in R&C as well as Resistance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuY3-SLuDA

Nintendo continues to have some of the nicest looking water shaders for shallow bodies of water, Pikmin is the perfect showcase for this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AA-j5C33pk

Morrowind in 2002 was really impressive relative to other games out at the time, and when it rained and seeing all the ripples on the surface was a vibe:

c9k196ovadd51.gif

Your picks? And obligatory:

BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being really impressed with how gorgeous the water looked in the original Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube. Same goes for Resident Evil 4 on GameCube, actually. Not sure what it was but it was a decent exhibition of a certain look that was more difficult for the PS2 to pull off.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
When Banjo jumps out water and drops of water fall off him back into the water. Wow, blew me away in 1998.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Wave Race 64 came out in 1996 and while it will likely lose out to other games on graphics, lighting, reflection, etc., it somehow made you feel like you were actually in water on a jet ski. You absolutely felt the difference between calm water and high waves. To this day, it feels like magic.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
game is dated (its like celebrating its 17th anniversary right now or close to it) and not the greatest looker but i remember the water in Lord of the Rings Online impressing me

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is some black magic level stuff for PS2. The way the ripples bounce and interact with themselves is almost unmatched to this day.

Ico deserves honorable mentions as well.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox Adventures on GameCube.

FF Crystal Chronicles is also a good shout, as someone above mentioned.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
out to other games on graphics, lighting, reflection, etc., it somehow made you feel like you were actually in water on a jet ski. You absolutely felt the difference between calm water and high waves. To this day, it feels lik

Yep, I was going to say this. I recently played it on the Switch app and its not a looker but the feel of the water physics is somehow perfect.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Super Mario Sunshine takes it for me, though I don't have a good video off hand to illustrate it, it was surreal to me.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
In terms of physics, Wave Race 64 was absolutely mind blowing when it launched.

Graphically, I was most transfixed by Morrowind on PC. It was stunning for the time.

There was a great DF Retro on this subject a few years ago, BTW.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Sunshine was the first game that came to mind. The water looks so crisp and clean.
1c113606b2e2e5c0bbe1f03cdddd3ce85ea30ec7.gif

I'd put Waverace 64 in the running too.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It's Wave Race 64 and it's not close. In terms of the dynamics and how it materially affects gameplay, it's literally still among the best water ever accomplished - the fact that it was an N64 launch title is virtual wizardry.

Imma leave the WR64 gifs to jett tho

PD Zwei is a great suggestion though.

ezgif.com-optimize3-1.gif

Water effects advanced so much in gen 6 that it was much more common to see impressive stuff. Gen 5 good water was vanishingly rare.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Wave Race 64 was so far ahead of the curve that its water still feels right. That sensation of being bounced and tossed around by the waves still works.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Star Fox Adventure had beautiful water for its time!

latest

loved the water in Batman
giphy.gif

Yeah, that water looked so good. I remember feeling that it was maybe animated a bit too slowly though, because I felt it seemed a bit jello-y.
But maybe that had something to do with the framerate...

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Waverace 64 is already mentioned above. The Gamecube also had great water effects in numerous games. Nintendo seems to know their water.

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
I remember being blown away by the patch of "next gen water" you could find in Ratchet and Clank 3 in the hidden museum. They even explained they literally couldn't make a bigger patch without the game crashing because it was that taxing.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Bioshock blew me away at the time. Especially when it came flooding through doors and stuff.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Gears of War 2 have similar looking/impressive water tech? Don't remember if that came out before Resistance 2 though

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
www.youtube.com

Cryostasis (PC) Tech Demo MAXED

Tech demo of one of the best-looking PC games I think I've ever seen. Think you've seen impressive physics and water effects? Think again!My system specs:A...

Perhaps a bit moot because only NASA could probably run it at a stable framerate anytime near release

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock blew me away at the time. Especially when it came flooding through doors and stuff.
Yeah, the first game that came to mind for me as well. Maybe it didn't have true physics for all water, but the way every corner of Rapture had some water flowing from the ceiling, stairs, walls, floors, windows... It was impressive.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Wave Race 64 was surreal. Only time since then has been maybe Sea of Thieves. Batman from the gifs being shown seems kind of crazy too.