themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bethesda sent out bans to players trying to make Fallout 76 more enjoyable by modding the game. The hilarious part is that Bethesda will undo the ban if the player writes them an essay apologizing.

https://hothardware.com/news/bethesda-bans-modders

"The bright spot here is that the bans that Bethesda is handing out aren't permanent; it lets players appeal the ban by writing an essay on why using third-party apps to cheat is bad. The issue the modding community has is that while some of the bans seem righteously handed out for players using mods to gain a competitive advantage, others who were banned were merely using a shader mod to improve graphics of the game. Bethesda seems to make no differentiation between mods for cheating and mods simply meant for customization."

Source: https://youtu.be/oQjsFVPkGQs

I'm not sure if this is nice of Bethesda or cruel of them.

Edit: Full quote from the support email:
"This account has violated the code of conduct and terms of service by cheating. The account was detected to be running a third-party application, which provides an unfair in-game advantage, while logged into Fallout 76.

If you would like to appeal this account closure, we would be willing to accept an essay on 'Why the use of third party cheat software is detrimental to an online game community' for our management team to review."

The ones banned are saying it's either reshade or cheatengine that got them banned. Reshade just effects visuals so that should never ever get you banned and cheatengine is software used to cheat a sp game, but the users banned reckon they have't used it for f76 nor was it even running. Apparently F76 scans your systems processes before launching and flags your account even if cheatengine is running, regardless of what you're using it for.

While in principle it would be fine to let players run graphical mods, it's likely difficult on their end, to distinguish these from other types of mods.

I've seen anecdotes of people being banned for using the ultrawide mod fix. Seems they do not distinguish between the two.

Official response from Bethesda:
Catching up on all this.

We flag the use of 3rd party applications within Fallout 76 because we do not want players exploiting the game in ways that provide a competitive advantage or negatively impact the servers & gameplay experience of other players. If someone receives a ban for Modded content, for now they should reach out to us through help.bethesda.net and we will review the appeal. We don't need an essay for this.

As previously noted, we will be looking to add Mod support at some point. When we have new details, we will let everyone know.

Reddit thread on the topic

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, that's so zany and fun. I love Bethesda again, lol! Right folks? Right!?

giphy.webp

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I find it incredible people are still playing this POS.
And I hope people think THRICE before buying another Bethesda softworls game.

Who am I kidding, in this very forum there are people who said they'll be there day one for a new Bethesda game.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
and now they are going after the modders, this really is the gift that keeps on giving

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it's an online game, almost any online game bans modding the game because it can be used for cheating.

Is there even a good way to detect mods that aren't cheating vs mods that are giving them unfair advantages against other players? If not then this issue seems overblown, I'd hope that for ANY online game the devs would stop people from cheating.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Man the fallout/elder scrolls team has been a bust this gen. Thank god for Arkane and Machine Games. Otherwise I'd be done with the publisher.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It's just one thing after another, it's like Bethesda is trying there best to make Fallout 76 ruin their reputation

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
This is because of cheating no? I mean, if it wasn't an online game I wouldn't care but I guess they are just trying to stop people from cheating? Still sucks though.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who am I kidding, in this very forum there are people who said they'll be there day one for a new Bethesda game.
My entire office is still playing. The reason? It's called "Fallout". Like, that's actually their reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Who in God's name thought this was a good idea?

I mean is this whole thing an experiment on how to self sabotage your own product.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get it there's a difference between an online service and an offline single player game when it comes to modding...but like, the game sucks, you've fostered that type of community, they're trying to fix it.

Also, ArenaNet did this same stupid shit in GW2 and it was dumb as fuck then. Banned people for their own incompetence and demanded a letter to unban you.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It's an online game, so if course they'll ban people for modding it. But if the mods are just fixes and your game is full of dogshit maybe you should let that slide? And that essay part... yikas

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well modding means cheating here, right? As bad as the game is, anything making the game more advantageous to the mod using people deserves a ban.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
What mods does this entail? Do they include UI mods? Because those are basically mandatory in every Bethesda game.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Fallout 76 is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I haven't even played the game.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably because its an Online Game

But why isn't Bethesda simply hiring these Modders making official stuff for them?
The Modders seem always able to fix their garbage games in like a couple days and be much better at this job than the people actually working on these games.

The way Bethesda behaves simply says they don't want a good game because they still don't see they probably created the biggest trash in this whole Gen.
At the same time little Todd probably thinks his game is up there with God of War and RDR2 LOL

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This is different then modding their past games for the obvious reason of it being an online game. Modding will come when they release private servers for the game.

But I agree banning people for using something like a reshade is dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda doesn't care about cheating.
Bethesda cares about people modding the color of their power armor and then not being able to sell them a $20 paint job.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

They've been getting away with it because they were pretty much the only ones making the kind of games they made. I firmly believe that Cyberpunk will make Starfield look like an early 2000s game.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In this thread: Damn valve for banning my account just for using an aimbot program! It's just harmless modding!

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
With where they are with the game and how they got there since they announced it, this comes off as super fucking entitled and arrogant

Especially if theyre doing this to people who just use ReShade or record gameplay

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fuck them. Seriously fuck them. Modding made there games, and now there pulling shit like this?

Apr 24, 2018
This reminds me of the intros to the Simpsons episodes with Bart in detention and scribbling on the blackboard. "I will not mod Fallout 76!" Yikes.