• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I read it, but I don't know how much to take the quote seriously.
It sounds more like he was over-simplifying for the generalist press rather than caring about offering an accurate depiction.

I mean, I have no doubt that it will be a first person game where you click things from first person UI.
The doubt is more about the nuances.
Will you travel between different planets? There will be space combat or just ground exploration? Is level scaling even a thing in this setting or will they finally go for "consistency" across the board? How much focus will be on combat and how much on exploration, investigation and/or dialogue? Will the game even pretend to put a front as a pseudo-sim in some areas or are they going for "Press X to watch cool cutscene"? Etc.

These are examples of my questions about the game, not if was going to be a Souls-like rather than a Metroidvania or a puzzle.

I think at this point no one knows, at least not until gameplay is shown or Bethesda holds some extensive interviews. It seems like you'll have a ship at least, and manage a crew, but outside of that, who knows? Could be like Mass Effect or No Man's Sky.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This will be one of the biggest new IP this generation, won't it?

Btw, why wasn't this shown at the E3 conference? :/

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Do you know if this is going to be an story driven game? Or more open world rpg? We need a good space game with a good story pls, not like no man's sky where yo travel to 800 planets and do the same in each one
It's hard to be certain yet, but from early interviews I'm leaning towards Mass Effect style planetary exploration (lots to land on, but snapshots of each one with hand-tailored locations). From today's Telegraph interview for example:

Q: How challenging is it to design an open universe versus an open world? The worlds of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout are large but relatively self-contained. The universe is, by its very nature, infinite.

"Not necessarily…" counters Howard. "I don't want to set any crazy expectations for that. You know, we have cities and we build them like we built the cities we've built before. And we have lots of locations that we're building like we've built before. And we want that experience of you exploring those to be, you know, as rewarding as we've done before.

That said, I really feel the need to point out that No Man's Sky isn't the only way to handle near-infinite proc-gen space exploration. Just because that didn't land for you, doesn't mean another studio's attempt at something similar won't either. The Witcher 3 already demonstrated that a free-form open world environment doesn't have to come at the expense of a well structured narrative (as many people previously believed) and I think the same is true for space exploration and proc-gen in general. Just got to wait on a dev to nail the balance, and the power of next gen consoles will certainly help with that. I'm very excited to see what Hello Games can achieve with a NMS2 given everything they've learned from the first game, and all the potential a SSD and Ryzen CPU affords them in terms of asset density and variety.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I can't see 2021 being remembered too fondly for games. With most big games being cross-gen, and covid delaying soooo damn many of them. 2022 though? Holy crap is that shaping up to be one of the best years ever. Starting with Elden Ring and ending with Starfield - you can't ask for a better sandwich than that!
Yes!
if there won't be many new delays, 2022 will be really really good for gamers.
at Moment, I just hope horizon is able to still make a 2021 release.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game looks anything like that concept art, my mind is going to be fucking blown.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Games been in development for how long, and we can't get some in-game screenshots? Idk seems odd. Just worried it will be delayed into 2023 or beyond.
Bethesda always save their gameplay reveal for the year of release, usually about six months out. If they've given a date AND released an in-engine look at the game this far out they will be feeling very confident.

Based on what we've seen there's no need to worry about this game. They've done more to show it off at this stage than they did for the likes of Skyrim.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I read it, but I don't know how much to take the quote seriously.
It sounds more like he was over-simplifying for the generalist press rather than caring about offering an accurate depiction.

I mean, I have no doubt that it will be a first person game where you click things from first person UI.
The doubt is more about the nuances.
Will you travel between different planets? There will be space combat or just ground exploration? Is level scaling even a thing in this setting or will they finally go for "consistency" across the board? How much focus will be on combat and how much on exploration, investigation and/or dialogue? Will the game even pretend to put a front as a pseudo-sim in some areas or are they going for "Press X to watch cool cutscene"? Etc.

These are examples of my questions about the game, not if was going to be a Souls-like rather than a Metroidvania or a puzzle.
Yes, so much we have yet to learn! Here's a snippet I found interesting from the Telegraph's interview today though, that I think demonstrates they understand their core audience wants something much deeper than vanilla Skyrim and Fallout 4 offered:

"It's also a bit more hardcore of a role playing game than we've done. It's got some really great character systems – choosing your background, things like that. We're going back to some things that we used to do in games long ago that we felt have really let players express the character they want to be. So I think when you see it being played, you would recognise it as something we made."

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Was looking forward to this just because it's Bethesda immersion, in space. But after that video I'm even more excited now.
Their humans look human now, their assets seem to be of great quality (plus they seem to be using a lot of photogrammetry so nature stuff will look stunning, and the trailer hardsurface stuff also looked great too).

It sucks that I won't be able to play it on the PS5, but I'll be there on PC for sure.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
you think we can still crouch around stealthily with a space suit?

Hopefully there are space bows
I still have no idea how this game is meant to play.

I read "skyrim in space" but I don't know what that means.

The gameplay is probably going to be similar to skyrim/fallout in that it's a first person RPG where there is combat, loot, exploration, and you can go around and do quests and talk to people (aliens?), with one huge addition: Your own personal space ship. The interview from today hints at them making the RPG elements deeper too (example choosing a background for your character that will impact your game). The big difference is instead of one large landmass it will probably feature multiple planets. I can only assume this based on what I've seen so far.

My guess would be a handful of larger hand crafted worlds that have cities and whatnot, along with some smaller uncharted worlds a la Mass Effect 1. But that is 100% a guess. Outer Worlds also might be a good comparison in terms of having multiple planets/space stations to visit (albeit at a larger scope and scale).

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The big difference is instead of one large landmass it will probably feature multiple planets. I can only assume this based on what I've seen so far.

My guess would be a handful of larger hand crafted worlds that have cities and whatnot, along with some smaller uncharted worlds a la Mass Effect 1
Honestly I would much prefer if it were smaller uncharted world's like ME1.

we'll see 🤷🏻‍♂️

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
My buddy just had a great idea.

How funny would it be if they included a fully playable version of Skyrim within the game as an easter egg. Some random house in a city with a "working" 360

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This game is gonna be incredibly massive. And it will be easier to tell new stories all the time. Because the universe is endless. Just add a new planet.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Oh man! So hyped.... always wanted a good space game.

Mass effect didn't do it for me.
Destiny lore is fantastic but in game less so, and a huge money/time sink to get going

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
One of my big questions now is companions. On the poster I assume the one in the space suit represents the player, who are the other two? The robot was in the teaser and is on the poster too... the fact that it feaures on the poster makes me think its more than a mindless robot, but who knows.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
All I think of when I see that logo is the Galactic empire.

Gonna try not to get too excited about this, I'll save that for when we see gameplay, but this looks exactly the kind of thing I like.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I normally don''t really like the BGS games but if Starfield actually looks like that then wow, I may have to check it out.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I really bummed myself out by mis-reading the release date for this as being THIS Fall instead of Fall 2022. :(

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
This game has the potential to be a generation-defining game and I can't wait to see more of it. The concept art has me so excited for the potential of this game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
For fucks sake, the hype is hitting hard right now lmao. Told myself I wouldn't do this shit again after Cyberpunk...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The concept art for this game is really amazing, and with BGS' style of game design, this could be something really special for me. Definitely looking forward to this!

Tinman

Nov 1, 2017
I'll have to see more of this game closer to launch before I'll feel anything like excitement. After a year and a half of lockdown I've burnt out on massive open world exploration. I just don't want to hoof it across large desert landscapes to pick up a thing for someone or build a base to store my space cheese wheels.

less

Oct 25, 2017
For fucks sake, the hype is hitting hard right now lmao. Told myself I wouldn't do this shit again after Cyberpunk...

Lmao. I feel the same way. I figured that I would have learned my lesson after Cyberpunk but nope. Setting + beautiful concept art once again is more than enough to get my hype hitting madness levels.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Concept art looks dope. Don't know if I will ever play this (maybe when I get a PC) but this is one game that I will want to play even if I don't have much time for it.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Nice art. I'm very curious how traversal will be handled in this game.. will it be like a star citizen/no man sky?

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Is that first concept art the underwater city where Jar Jar Binks lives but on the surface?

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Some of the responses to that tweet are so damn funny LOL

Whenever I think Era is too much, I go on Twitter and run back to Era

vfqQoZM.png

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I kind of have good hopes for this. I would prefer to see Beth Studio get out of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls bubble.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
This will be one of the biggest new IP this generation, won't it?

Btw, why wasn't this shown at the E3 conference? :/

I think MS is nowadays going in with the weeks worth of news rather than just one event.

Day 1: Gamepass
Day 2: Halo and Starfield and Forza
Day 4: Dev sitdown

I fully expect Xcloud demo and/or acquisition news this week tbh

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
BGS has some amazing artists and asset designers, I'm always in awe at the models in the Skyrim and especially Fallout 4 loading screens, they know how to translate great art to very detailed 3d models.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Yep...my number one anticipated game now. Reckon these new gen machines will allow an absurd amount of customization, interactions...just everything. Just imagining everything skyrim offers as an rpg dialed to 20.

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
If they can pull off even 80% of my hopes and dreams with this game it's gonna be mad lit

fuck yes. It looks just fantastical enough that I'm hype af. I did NOT want it super grounded and sterile. Give me wild ass aliens and tech and environments

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
The concept art is getting me a little too excited. Need to keep hype in check, but damn just imagining playing in some of those locations, especially the domed city on water and the second city. This will be one of the things that forces my hand in getting a Series X.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I see, I mean its unfortunate that exclusive content is sorta even more important now than ever before but exclusive games have always been a thing no matter the platform. There are some things that I will be able to play on my PS5 that I won't be able to play on my Xbox and vice-versa. Same thing with my Switch. I have been fortunate to be able to buy all of these consoles and a gaming PC as well and I am aware that not everyone has that luxury but this is not a MS exclusive problem, its a capitalism problem and about its about providing content to a platform to generate interest and money. Sony will have things at their next SOP that will exclusive to their platform and I will be excited to see what they have to jump into that as well with the understanding that its likely not to come to Xbox, PC, or Switch at launch.
It is what it is, maybe in the future if I have extra cash I'll be able to buy a Xbox Series X or PC.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Looks good, I'll likely pick it up day one just like every other BGS release (sans F76) for the past 20ish years.