• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Worst decision Bethesda ever made was renaming Battlecry Studios. They could have totally used that as a scapegoat for 76.

A bad studio whose namesake was canceled was responsible for 76, no?

And now Bethesda makes bad games?
Fallout 4 is littered with technical issues and fundamental design flaws. The entire gameplay loop revolves around a broken settlement system.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4 is the worst modern Fallout game after 76 and, even then, the only actually good modern Fallout game is New Vegas in spite of being hampered by Bathesda's shitey engine and cunty management.

Nah, not to me its not. I personally enjoyed it more than fallout 3. Havent played new vegas but im really enjoying outer worlds

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Jim's stand power is that he can conjure a defense force for literally anything by being on the opposite side of it.

Yet the worst takes in this thread have been by the folks claiming Fallout 4 was a bad game.

Bit disingenuous to claim a reaction to excessive hyperbole constitutes a 'defense force'

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Because of one bad game?

Sure, Jan.

lol

Oblivion, fallout 3 and 4, Skyrim at release and F76

They all share the same unacceptable state of affairs. Every single of these games got fixed by the community, people are just starting to see it

Its legit because these games got fixed by other people than Bethesda that they're good. But hey otherwise its open world and bethesda, so its always good smile :)

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, Fallout 4 was disappointing but I'll be right there for Starfield and TES VI.

No one makes games like them anymore.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
lol

They all share the same unacceptable state of affairs. Every single of these games got fixed by the community, people are just starting to see it

Its legit because these games got fixed by other people than Bethesda that they're good
I'm sorry, i cannot take anyone who calles fucking Fallout 3 or Skyrim bad games seriously. You all are literally insane.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda was obsolete since Fallout 3.
That game was my first wrpg (i was more of a JRPG guy until I was 20) and nearly made me get away from the genre forever thinking that was the best it could do becuase of everyone talking so greatly about it.
Thank god i gave mass effect a chance, and after than went all in with amazing games like the witcher series, kotor, new vegas, planescape...

I tried skyrim later and I only enjoyed the game when I added a mod called interesting NPCs. The base was absolute boring bug ridden fest crap.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
"Someone released a good game? Nah, shit's bad news. Better spin it in a way that shits on one of my favorite dumper targets. Nuclear meltdown failures is where it's at."

I usually like Jim's content, but the need to turn good games or good news into a cudgel that whacks on something he hates is just so offputting.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"Officially".

Narcissist. Still don't know why threads are still allowed every time this idiot farts.

Because you post in them regardless.

Also that's not what Narcissism is.

"Someone released a good game? Nah, shit's bad news. Better spin it in a way that shits on one of my favorite dumper targets. Nuclear meltdown failures is where it's at."

I usually like Jim's content, but the need to turn good games or good news into a cudgel that whacks on something he hates is just so offputting.

I mean, to be fair, he did make a positive video about TOW.

It's just not THIS video.

So Bethesda makes bad games now?

It's been a WHILE since they've put out a good one.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
So Bethesda makes bad games now?
Well Fallout 4 certainly isn't good by today's standards. And they put their name on 76 sooo what? That's an entire generation wasted.

Any other devs able to slowly sour an IP while the quality of their games drop over a decade and not have that alter their reputation?

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
TES VI is the real test for me. Starfield as a new IP I can give a pass, but I want that Skyrim feeling again, and I want to see some actual innovation on the formula - better scale, better integrated RPG mechanics, better story and writing... There's a lot to improve on when you've looked at how games have evolved over the past 8 years.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm no Bethesda fanboy, but this argument seems silly to me. I never considered Bethesda games to be on the same RPG niche as Obsidian RPGs. Obsidian's have more focus on writing, narrative, C&C, and old school roleplaying, while Bethesda's have more focus on exploration, loot, a huge open world, and a feeling of adventure. I enjoyed Skyrim but in a different way I enjoyed Fallout 2.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol

Its legit because these games got fixed by other people than Bethesda that they're good. But hey otherwise its open world and bethesda, so its always good smile :)

I played Oblivion, Fallout 3 and 4 on console. They are great and none of them were fixed by the community ;)

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
You wanna get the context of my post right or ?

all of these games without exceptions were trainwrecks at launch, and still are without mods
They were all buggy messes, and I'm not going to make excuses for that, but in terms of world building and general core RPG design, they were amazing.
Skyrim is one of the highest selling and highest rated games of all time, you don't be that by being a bad game.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for Fallout 4 for years and barely played a few hours.

8TtUiOi.jpg

You're like my doppelganger nemesis, lol!

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a new low for Jim, and that's saying something. Can't wait for the day when super negativity, extreme hyperbole, and clickbait titles go away.

By the way, Obsidian officially doesn't want Outer Worlds to be used to slam Bethesda.

https://www.destructoid.com/obsidia...outer-worlds-to-dunk-on-bethesda-542696.phtml

"People even said things about our trailer: 'Oh man, just slamming it home to Bethesda!' because we said the original creators of Fallout," Urquhart told Game Informer. "I have no ill will for Bethesda, I love playing Fallout games... We're not fighting for the same dollars." The biggest point Urquhart stresses is that Obsidian couldn't have possibly known the backlash Fallout 76 would have had when it started work on The Outer Worlds in 2015.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your sacred cows are not as good as you think they are. BSG is a mediocre studio who thinks it's more important to be able to pick up 1000 brooms than to have a playable game without the need of mods to fix it, or a decent engine, or to have interesting quests, or good writing.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
that's a hot take if i've ever seen one. Fallout 76 is objectively shit but i dont consider that a fallout game. Fallout 4 was at worst an average game, and at best a fun exploration sim.

TES6 and Starfield hold a lot of promise, and i can say that while enjoying The outer worlds just fine

I understand taking aim at bethesda as a company and the shit fest that is Fallout 76, but holy shit pump your brakes a little there jim

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The settlement system doesn't even have a point.
It's literally just mindless busy work that cuts into your exploration time.
And it's broken. Objects float above the ground as geometry clips through placed walls and floors, horrible npc pathfinding that leads to them all getting bunched up, a defense rating system that doesn't even work.

Then there's just the stuff that's shitty about it. Like how you can't save any settlements across characters, or how none of the settlers have unique names or quests to give. You're right, it's a never ending wave of pointless fetch/kill quests.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
They were all buggy messes, and I'm not going to make excuses for that, but in terms of world building and general core RPG design, they were amazing.
Skyrim is one of the highest selling and highest rated games of all time, you don't be that by being a bad game.

I find it awful and I despise Bethesda's approach which always was to rely on modders. I haven't enjoyed a single Beth's game since Morrowind which to this day, along with Gothic 2 and some old ultima games / Arx Fatalis, is the best example of western rpg. Fucking incredibly overrated joke of a company since they started streamlining stuff

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Elder Scrolls 6 will come out and it will sell 30 million copies again and everything will be as it was.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Skyrim was incredible after I spent an entire week modding it.

Also Outer Worlds reminds me much more of Mass Effect than a Bethesda game.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Though it sounds fairly hyperbolic, and I'll admit its clickbaity af, I don't think Jim is that wrong in calling Bethesda obsolete. At least, obsolete in the sense that their games aren't considered the worldbeaters they once were. I mean come on, its been 8 years since Skyrim, that's really quite a long time. They're not just coming hot off one of the GOAT games anymore. They have a lot to prove in terms of establishing themselves again as a truly elite, premier developer making some of the most fun games out there. Fallout 4 and 76 just don't fit that category at all.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean... He's not wrong. Bethesda games are only worthwhile these days when played with mods. Skyrim is an ugly, boring slog, for instance, I wouldn't get near it with a ten-foot-pole without modding the fuck out of it. And I got Fallout 4 on the best deal I could get because I wanted to toy around with using that anime model mod to make characters look not ugly as sin and also other mods to make the world look less shit.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
outer worlds decimated bethesda games about as well as pillars of eternity 2 did with other crpg games. game feels like a cheap imitation, and half baked in nearly all respects.