• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Timestamp 48:40

I think this is huge news, because this means Bethesda were the ones making the decision and actively looking for someone to buy them. Of course we don't know exactly why they search for a bigger company. But I think the last games didn't do that great iirc. Please correct me.

Anyways, I wish they would've stayed independent, but if they literally wanted to be bought, then MS is imo the better option than Amazon, Google or Facebook. Sony wouldve been fine with me, too.

PS: it's a good podcast and interview with Spencer in itself. If anyone wants to watch it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was known. Didn't an insider say they were shopping themselves around for a while?

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I thought this was known. Didn't an insider say they were shopping themselves around for a while?
Well, I knew there were rumors that Sony and others were interested. But those were just rumors and it could've easily been MS approaching them first. Which didn't happen.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Timestamp 48:40

I think this is huge news, because this means Bethesda were the ones making the decision and actively looking for someone to buy them. Of course we don't know exactly why they search for a bigger company. But I think the last games didn't do that great iirc. Please correct me.

Anyways, I wish they would've stayed independent, but if they literally wanted to be bought, then MS is imo the better option than Amazon, Google or Facebook. Sony wouldve been fine with me, too.

PS: it's a good podcast and interview with Spencer in itself. If anyone wants to watch it.

Bethesda stopped providing sales numbers ages ago, so we have no idea how their recent batch of titles actually did. From the placement on sales charts (or lack of), most can deduce that they weren't selling particularly well, yes, unless they just had an insane weigh to digital sales or something to that nature that would be more difficult to track.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The board wanted to sell the company regardless of MS interest or not, MS most likely offered the better deal and they sold to them.

Wouldn't be surprised if they talked with Tencent or Amazon or Facebook for example.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
MS was probably the best outcome. The games at least will still come out on PC day 1 for those without a series X

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Yep, this is pretty much what we had heard. If they had to sell MS seems like a good landing spot for them if the main priority is time and budget. Obviously, not the best outcome in terms of platform support.

Personally though I've come around on it, if they were looking to sell I'd like to see really high quality games on fewer platforms than EA- or Activision-driven releases available on everything. Purely selfishly of course as someone who already has an Xbox.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'll never understand the frustration of people because of this sale. Even if it's just on Xbox platforms, that means you can play on the following: iOS and Android via cloud, a $300 next gen 1080p Xbox, $499 next gen Xbox, any kind of pc. All of them on game pass where you can access them on day one at launch for $1

Like, Xbox is the ideal place For sale for consumers. Heck, some of their lower budget titles might go to switch

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The board wanted to sell the company regardless of MS interest or not, MS most likely offered the better deal and they sold to them.

Wouldn't be surprised if they talked with Tencent or Amazon or Facebook for example.
Facebook would've been my worst nightmare. Thanks to whoever that this didn't happen xD
Bethesda stopped providing sales numbers ages ago, so we have no idea how their recent batch of titles actually did. From the placement on sales charts (or lack of), most can deduce that they weren't selling particularly well, yes, unless they just had an insane weigh to digital sales or something to that nature that would be more difficult to track.
Thanks and happy new year. I think Bethesda surely made some mistakes (76 launch for example), but most of their games are really cool. But then again, great games don't mean good sales unfortunately. Platinum Games or Atlus can write a song about that :(

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is one of those things that has been sort of an open secret for a while that Bethesda were at the very least open for a sale.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The studios Microsoft have acquired have all been in this sort of state. Except i think playground.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of rumours hinting that Bethesda was looking for a buyer. For me personally, I am glad it was Microsoft. The other major publishers are kind of trash. Bethesda might not be as high in my opinions as they used to be, but thank the gods it wasn't Sony. No BGS games on the PC seems pretty blasphemous when even the dumpster that was Fallout 4 was made pretty amazing with the right mods.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we already know this? Zenimax was looking to sell and have been for sometime now.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
this is why this purchase didnt bother me. Bethesda wanted to sell so every company most likely looked into buying them

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah MS was the better option compared to "bigger" companies. I guess there aren't that many bigger companies though. We're thinking Amazon, Google, Apple probably?

Jul 25, 2020
I wouldn't have been surprised if Sony were well in the winnings before Microsoft interjected and just said no, they're such a close partner, they have to join us and coughed up what was necessary.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This was pretty well known at the time, but it was buried under the wave of people blaming the ruination of the industry on that acquisition.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Yep, not sure it was officially confirmed, but clearly an open secret until now.
And I'm also happy it was MS rather than anyone else. With their history, their funds/recent investment in gaming and of course the whole Game Pass strategy, I guess it was the best (or "least worst") choice for Zenimax.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Do we know what happens to the executives at Zenimax after this sale is complete? Do they get golden parachutes and effectively laid off?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the frustration of people because of this sale. Even if it's just on Xbox platforms, that means you can play on the following: iOS and Android via cloud, a $300 next gen 1080p Xbox, $499 next gen Xbox, any kind of pc. All of them on game pass where you can access them on day one at launch for $1

Like, Xbox is the ideal place For sale for consumers. Heck, some of their lower budget titles might go to switch
They are certainly the best option IMO

Bloomberg article (a few months old)

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg article from several months back talking about ZeniMax being sold & mentioning they've been considering selling Zenimax/Bethesda for several years:

www.bloomberg.com

From Banking Scandal to Video-Game CEO to Billion-Dollar Score

Video-game trade shows aren’t known for dispensing high-end whisky, but there it was at the Bethesda Softworks exhibit: $100 bottles of Glenmorangie, flowing freely.

But much like in Hollywood, franchises such as Fallout and Elder Scrolls remain valuable, as consumers continue to play them online and purchase updates and items within the games. As industry valuations rose, Altman considered selling ZeniMax for several years and at one point was close to a deal with rival Electronic Arts Inc.

In the end, he found the perfect choice: a classy operator at a fancy price.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Wonder if any high-up Bethesda people will exit the company after getting "fuck-you money" from this.
In these kinds of deals the "fuck-you" part of the "fuck-you money" is usually contingent on these people staying with the company for a number of years, so I doubt any of them will bail right away, unless they've been waiting to retire for a long time.

I also doubt that it would be a major loss for MS anyway, they got the tech, the infrastructure and a boatload of talented developers which will be more than happy to take up a promotion.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Most of these types of acquisitions of independent entities only happen because the company acquired has a desire to be purchased. The folks here constantly salivating over who their favourite console maker will acquire next seem to forget this.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
In these kinds of deals the "fuck-you" part of the "fuck-you money" is usually contingent on these people staying with the company for a number of years, so I doubt any of them will bail right away, unless they've been waiting to retire for a long time.

I also doubt that it would be a major loss for MS anyway, they got the tech, the infrastructure and a boatload of talented developers which will be more than happy to take up a promotion.
Yeah you see a lot of exodus's after some contractual obligation expires. Happened with most of the big Facebook purchases for instance.

I'm aware of that; but still curious what everyone's plans are.. those are typically 12-24 months at most.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

I get there are concerns about consolidation and platform locking. However, I think EA and Activision would warp Zenimax further into something they are not, Google and Amazon are untested in the market, and 2K can't afford them. That leaves an outside investment firm which aren't often great, Tencent whose power is immense as it is, Sony who would have a hard time justifying the price and would probably lock out PC, and Microsoft. I think MS is the lesser of all these evils, and their business model is uniquely suited for making commercially viable the types of games Zenimax makes. It's like how many core creatives are going to Netflix.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Do we know what happens to the executives at Zenimax after this sale is complete? Do they get golden parachutes and effectively laid off?
Bethesda/Zenimax will operate independently iirc. But don't quote me on that, I just remember someone at MS saying this in a interview.
Yeah MS was the better option compared to "bigger" companies. I guess there aren't that many bigger companies though. We're thinking Amazon, Google, Apple probably?
Sony, Tencent and FB probably has the money in theory. Tencent was mentioned by someone in the thread.
I wouldn't have been surprised if Sony were well in the winnings before Microsoft interjected and just said no, they're such a close partner, they have to join us and coughed up what was necessary.
This is not what happened. What the podcast. Timestamp is in the first post. Btw Bethesda always had a good relationships with MS and Morrowind was their first console game iirc.

Last edited:

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Most of these types of acquisitions of independent entities only happen because the company acquired has a desire to be purchased. The folks here constantly salivating over who their favourite console maker will acquire next seem to forget this.
That is true. That said, there is a difference between studios like Zenimax and InXile which approached Microsoft, and studios like Double Fine, Ninja Theory and Obsidian that Microsoft approached. It ultimately comes down to both sides making a deal, but in this case it was Zenimax putting themselves on the market, not MS convincing them to sell.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People were wondering why MS bought them, it's because if MS doesn't then someone else will. If it's Sony, Amazon or Google, the repercussions will be bigger for MS than other platform holders.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

We don't know to what extent Sony was aware of the MS acquisition talks. All we know is they were in talks to make Starfield exclusive alongside Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

It's the lesser of other evils for me, but I still would prefer games in general came to any major home console if it's reasonable to port and don't think cloud should be listed like it doesn't have huge asterisks next to it.

MS's support of PC is awesome though; but the potential removal of a ton of titles from the Playstation ecosystem, a very popular ecosystem for their games, is a pretty big loss for some people. With MS, there's all kinds of possibilities, even down to some Playstation support, but it's still up in the air.

OP
OP
arsene_P5

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
VeePs
Thanks, I didn't know about this. Threadmarked.

That is true. That said, there is a difference between studios like Zenimax and InXile which approached Microsoft, and studios like Double Fine, Ninja Theory and Obsidian that Microsoft approached. It ultimately comes down to both sides making a deal, but in this case it was Zenimax putting themselves on the market, not MS convincing them to sell.
I think this gives the whole deal a different perspective, because suddenly "Bethesda staying independent" isn't a option, which was a option, I think it's fair to say, many preferred on resetera. So the question becomes, who is the least bad outcome for consumers...

And as you said, Microsoft weren't the "bad guys" that convinced them to sell. I feel with those deals the big companies, be it Sony, Microsoft, ... , are always criticized and blamed, but what some people don't realize is that companies sometimes want to be bought. Be it for financial reasons or something else.

Last edited:

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting the video, had no clue about another Phil interview!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Oh god. I can't think of a worse outcome than Bethesda games being Stadia exclusive. Imagine the next Doom releasing only on Stadia. Basically the equivalent of not existing

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
It's the lesser of other evils for me, but I still would prefer games in general came to any major home console if it's reasonable to port and don't think cloud should be listed like it doesn't have huge asterisks next to it.

MS's support of PC is awesome though; but the potential removal of a ton of titles from the Playstation ecosystem, a very popular ecosystem for their games, is a pretty big loss for some people. With MS, there's all kinds of possibilities, even down to some Playstation support, but it's still up in the air.
I don't think, in their eyes, MS should care. The alternative was just PS consoles and nothing else. Or major publishers who make every mission a mtx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad Tencent didn't step up to the plate.

18250.jpg

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I don't think, in their eyes, MS should care. The alternative was just PS consoles and nothing else. Or major publishers who make every mission a mtx
Yeah for sure; the likely outcome is them being Xbox console exclusive w/ strong PC support and the "also on Xcloud" for the "you can play anywhere (that allows Xcloud)" option. They WILL attract some customers, no doubt. It'll be interesting to see if it helps xCloud take off, since that will be such a low barrier for entry (for some.)

But the "profit driven corporation shouldn't care" is kind of the point of being disappointed Zenimax couldn't stick it out as independent. We don't know where this purchase is going to lead either in general. Hopefully good things, that help make up for the "not so good thing" of taking away some choice from consumers.

Last edited: