• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I don't view Fallout 76 as a single player game by any stretch of the imagination, no matter how many times Todd says "oh you can also play it alone".
So I hope that isn't their approach to all of their future game.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The entirety of Bethesda's console catalogue this generation is single player only games except two titles, DOOM and Quake Champions. That's a huge difference compared to Ubisoft releasing one SP only game in the last couple of years.

Square Enix: Judging by the route Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics are going, after Shadow yeah they're not making SP only games anymore. their mainline FF title has a MP component. They literally sold Hitman, their other Single Player only game BACK to IO after it proved to be unsuccessful. Their Japanese stuff remains exclusive to one platform, hell you could've said SEGA instead of fucking Square Enix.

I cannot, in any timeframe, imagine Metro Last Light having a bigger budget than Wolf 2. .
If you're going by that then you'd have to count NaughtyDogs MP stuff as well...

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Horror: The Evil Within, published by...Bethesda. also Dying Light.

Immersive Sim: Dishonored, published by...Bethesda. also ...Dying Light.

And now look at The Evil Within 2, Dishonored 2... People initially had interest in those games because they were new and had fresh settings, but that's not good enough in today's world.

Ultraviolent FPS that aims to shock people. Well, Wolfenstein was never meant to shock anyone so I'm unsure as to where you're getting thay from. Unless you're one of those weirdos that think the Nazi killing is shocking.

You are joking, right? Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrYvFKyXXPk&t=36m05s

But like, uh, DOOM? Also published by Bethesda. And like Rage 2 is next year.

Doom was kind of a surprise hit, but it also was discounted a lot. I doubt that Doom 2 will do similar numbers. And Rage 2 will probably flop, looks just too generic without an interesting story.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Concentrating more on MP games is not the same thing as only making MP games.
Absolutely. This seems completely lost on some.

Also lost is the fact that a multiplayer component doesn't automatically mean a garbage single player component, as evidenced by many games including ERA darlings like Bloodborne and Titanfall 2.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
Eeeeh... I'd say that Prey is a significantly better game than any Bethesda Fallout, and always had fewer serious bugs than any Bethesda Fallout, to boot.

The Arboretum bug was a real goddamn shame, though. I'd have been really, really pissed off if it had happened to me. I had something similar happen to me when I first visited the Arboretum, but it turns out losing my Margrave was because I switched over from Xbox One to Xbox One X without re-downloading the Cosmonaut DLC pack. I reinstalled it and reverted to my last save and my gun was back.

My Prey bug was being unable to complete the best quest in the game, with the best reward in the game, because I didn't grab an item off of an NPC I stunned, before they randomly disappeared from the game forever. That sucked... but every new Fallout and Elder Scrolls game is rife with shit just like that.

i didnt like fallout 4 at all so i never played it but i loved fallout 3 to be honest, and new vegas even more but that is developed by obsidian.

True the TES and fallout games are full with bugs but they are also much bigger in scale so they kinda get a free pass. fallout especially.

Its a shame that we have to deal with gamebreaking bugs in a full price game. I know not many people gave Prey a chance to begin with but when you have to read about gamebreaking bugs at launch..that is dealbreaker for many many potential buyers out there.They shoould have just delayed it abit more and iron the biggest bugs out.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
http://onlysp.com/bethesda-change-approach-single-player/ Article here

Bethesda still clearly believes in single player games but they made it pretty clear at E3 that they'd like some kind of co-op or online component in the game

Pete Hines quote "That doesn't mean that we should keep doing things the way we did five or ten years ago—we've got to continue to change how we approach it."

Here is the original source and the original quote, it's better than what you put in the OP

https://amp.theguardian.com/games/2...odd-howard-pete-hines-elder-scrolls-starfield

Nonetheless, Hines is bullish about the future of epic single-player adventures. "Well, we keep doing it," he says. "There was a lot of hand-wringing around [2017's] Prey, but we just announced a huge update. Rage 2 is a giant single-player game, [the next Doom game] Doom Eternal is single-player, and Wolfenstein: Young Blood is single-player. Single-player is still a thing; it might continue to grow or evolve, but it's part of who we are, and we still think there's room to be successful. That doesn't mean that we should keep doing things the way we did five or 10 years ago – we've got to continue to change how we approach it."

Oct 25, 2017
TEW3 with co-op? HGGGNNNNN

Kidman and Sebastian searching for Joseph, with Sykes giving them tech support and talking to them? Yes, please.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's not their fault gamers beg for single player games and then refuse to pay full price for them.
It's their fault, like any other publisher's and gamer's, too. When I know a game gets quickly and easily discounted, why should I pay full price then? They shoud stop communicating 'our games aren't worth that much' by stopping to give them away so cheap.

And advertise them better. Wolfenstein 2 was a ninja release for me, and Prey only got my attention with news about that it has nothing to do with the original Prey, that there are issues with Steam, because it has/had the same folder name of the original one, and about the troubled development of Prey (2), and that it isn't Prey 2. I know that people praised it, but it wasn't advertised like a Deu Ex/Dishonored/BioShock-like game, which is totally my genre. I didn't even know it was Arkane Studios.

A bit more on topic: I'm still not sure about the Fallout, but I'm highly sceptical. I like the SP experience we got in recent years.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
They are the only ones making big budget single player only games outside of Sony ,

They are the only third party publisher making big budget single player only games. There is nothing arrogant about that if it's true.

They sure didn't come out for the last six games they published

CD Projekt Red would like to have a word with you...

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with this comment at all but since a lot of people on this forum spit venom when they hear the word "multiplayer"or "GaaS" I'm not expecting it to go down well

It is more a case of multiplayer gaas becoming the end all and be all that rankles. But supply and demand and all that.

I can fully see a time when all AAA game games that are not made by Nintendo or Sony are built around mult gaas, and the single player bits will be somewhat vestigial. Moreover, when a game has a successful multiP GaaS, it means the next instalment gets pushed back. We might go a whole generation without a new gta, for example.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Everyone here keeps claiming they need to market their games better. With Prey I'll agree but they marketed the fuck out of Wolfenstein 2.

Their just is not as much demand for linear AAA single player games like the ones they are releasing as their use to be. Even games like God of War went to a relstively open world for their game. Bethesda will innovate, I'm sure. But the days of linear FPS' selling gangbusters numbers without much of a multiplayer component or co-op feature are largely done. I'm sure their will be exceptions, but a game like Wolfenstein won't be released in the same form we saw 1 & 2 in.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
The entirety of Bethesda's console catalogue this generation is single player only games except two titles, DOOM and Quake Champions. That's a huge difference compared to Ubisoft releasing one SP only game in the last couple of years.

Square Enix: Judging by the route Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics are going, after Shadow yeah they're not making SP only games anymore. their mainline FF title has a MP component. They literally sold Hitman, their other Single Player only game BACK to IO after it proved to be unsuccessful. Their Japanese stuff remains exclusive to one platform, hell you could've said SEGA instead of fucking Square Enix.

I cannot, in any timeframe, imagine Metro Last Light having a bigger budget than Wolf 2. .

Ok? Then why are you saying (or Bethesda in their marketing) that they're the only ones making that anymore when that's factually wrong? Now you're trying to move goal posts by saying "it's only one of their games", "it's exclusive to one platform", "yeah but..." as poor excuses to try to avoid going back to your original points. I could have used Sega (just like Capcom or others), but that's an example amongst others, that you yourself just used against your own argument.

Wolfenstein is one of the more middle-ground budget games that Bethesda is funding, like Evil Within or Arkane's games. Similar to Metro (or others, just took this one because it was comparable to Wolfenstein in terms of size and genre). They know how to budget their games, like any good publisher.

edit:
Doom Eternal won't have co-op? I'll probably have to skip it then.
Why would Doom have coop?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Every time I read those comment it makes no sense to me at all, the existence of coop has no obligation to negatively impact the singleplayer experience in any way.
Implementing co-op means designing the game around it, typically then becoming a squad based game like Gears with NPC team mates when in single player. That works great for Gears.

But it doesn't really work for single player games like Prey and Doom where your isolation is a big part of the experience.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
And now look at The Evil Within 2, Dishonored 2... People initially had interest in those games because they were new and had fresh settings, but that's not good enough in today's world.

Some of the biggest games releasing at the end of the year are sequels

The idea that there's no audience for big budget single player only immersive sims or horror games is kind of hilarious considering like, Dying Light succeeded as well as Bethesda's past efforts in these genres

Maybe if they marketed their shit more beyond what they did for Dishonored 2/TEW2/DOOM, then it would see the success of, say, Dying Light

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Implementing co-op means designing the game around it, typically then becoming a squad based game like Gears with NPC team mates when in single player. That works great for Gears.

But it doesn't really work for single player games like Prey and Doom where your isolation is a big part of the experience.

No plenty of games have co-op where everything is like single player, but you just have an extra person there now. Farcry and Dark Souls are great examples.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the biggest games releasing at the end of the year are sequels

The idea that there's no audience for big budget single player only immersive sims or horror games is kind of hilarious considering like, Dying Light succeeded as well as Bethesda's past efforts in these genres

Maybe if they marketed their shit more beyond what they did for Dishonored 2/TEW2/DOOM, then it would see the success of, say, Dying Light
Dying Light is an open-world zombie game with co-op. Significantly more appealing to the mass market. It also released in January earlier in the generation before everybody was crowding Q1 and Q2.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dishonored and Prey would have sold twice as much if they were 3rd person, seeing how 3rd person games are far more popular this gen. Just look at Fortnite. Free game, but I think less people would play it if it was 1st person, because then they wouldn't be able to see their character or what they're wearing. People love seeing their characters more than ever before now.

I think Prey and Dishonored 2 are two of the best single player games I've played this gen, so it does suck to see them not get a lot of attention.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hearing "oh prey/wolf/dishonored/etc failed because they weren't marketed and advertised enough" on here is fucking hilarious when I see weekly "games budgets are too bloated and they should cut marketing" threads.

So which is it, Era?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Dishonored and Prey would have sold twice as much if they were 3rd person, seeing how 3rd person games are far more popular this gen. Just look at Fortnite. Free game, but I think less people would play it if it was 1st person, because then they wouldn't be able to see their character or what they're wearing. People love seeing their characters more than ever before now.

I can't speak to the sales potential, but in terms of game quality: I'm glad those games were 1st person. Muuuch better for Immersive Sims.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
A single player game with good marketing behind it sells properly, as proven by various other titles that don't have multiplayer, so there's no need to shove a multiplayer component onto games that don't need it.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
It's their fault, like any other publisher's and gamer's, too. When I know a game gets quickly and easily discounted, why should I pay full price then? They shoud stop communicating 'our games aren't worth that much' by stopping to give them away so cheap.
You may be confusing a publisher dropping the price with the RETAILER dropping the price. In the eyes of retail their shelf space is worth more than anything you are selling and if you are preventing me from putting something on that shelf that will make me money, then eff you.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no one's gonna buy full price single player western games by a publisher who is still only known for Elder Scrolls, Fallout and DOOM

Wolf 2 and Prey had solid marketing campaigns and woah lol no one bought them

Its whatever though. Mooncrash is excellent and probably my favorite expansion of the year, so I'm all for more Mooncrash-like experiences.

I did! Albeit recently for $15 during a Steam sale, but I bought it. And finished it.

I can't speak to the sales potential, but in terms of game quality: I'm glad those games were 1st person. Muuuch better for Immersive Sims.

Meanwhile, the Souls games are third person and have a somewhat similar amount of options. So are the Metal Gear games. The only thing you can't really do in Metal Gear is talk your way out of everything, but you can't really avoid combat completely in the majority of actual "immersive sims" anyway. It might be better for immersion in general, but as for the actual genre (which never made any sense name wise to me), it's whatever. You might lose some immersion and potentially atmosphere (or not), but it would also likely improve the actual gameplay.

Last edited:

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer and co-op aren't even mentioned or alluded to past the link.
One of the "singleplayer" games he lists is Wolfenstein: Youngblood, which is a co-op game.

The big Prey update he talks about is also adding multiplayer.

I imagine that's where a lot of that is coming from.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Just stop making single player FPS games, do better stories, better marketing and your reveal trailer needs to blow away everyone, first time seen it needs to be amazing!

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
If the games were perfectly fine as is, and marketing was the sole problem, you would expect it to be like Terraria where the game starts very slowly and then goes on to sell 20+ million copies.

We can see similar behaviors with other games that barely had marketing like PUBG or Muinecraft. People eventually found them and they took off.

This is also true with smaller scale products like Stardew Valley, Human Fall Flat, Hollow Knight, or Slay The Spire.

If we want to focus on AAA games, Borderlands 1 had a grand total of one week of TV ads, and went over 6 million copies on very strong word of mouth. Arkham Asylum, Dishonored 1, and BioShock 1 didn't exactly fly to their illustrious totals on day one either. If we want to focus on recent games, Nier and Persona weren't exactly carpet bombing the airwaves.

We've presumably hit a budget point where these games that aren't breaking out early are harder to justify. They might add features (online and/or service approaches) or focus on lowering costs (either developmentally or also to consumers) since those are all ways to try and align results and budgets or tailor more toward consumer tastes.

Oct 26, 2017
Where was the multiplayer in the last Assassin's Creed? Did Square-Enix stop making big budget single player games? Do you think Wolfenstein had a bigger budget than Metro? Etc.

Wolfenstein has a big budget compared to Metro, it's not even in the same league.
MachineGames is based in Sweden and Sweden is very expensive, 4A Games is based in Ukraine and they recently moved to Malta, these places are way more cheaper than Sweden.

Nov 23, 2017
Yeah no one's gonna buy full price single player western games by a publisher who is still only known for Elder Scrolls, Fallout and DOOM

Wolf 2 and Prey had solid marketing campaigns and woah lol no one bought them

Its whatever though. Mooncrash is excellent and probably my favorite expansion of the year, so I'm all for more Mooncrash-like experiences.
Where was this solid prey marketing campaign lol, I don't remember anyone talking about it at all then, it was all lol mass effect botw horizon besides how they didn't like the demo. I honestly hear more about it now.

Edit: plus the extremely dumb "But human head prey 2 bethesda is evil, wheres the native american stuff" stuff didnt help yet was completely unnecessary

Last edited:

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
i didnt like fallout 4 at all so i never played it but i loved fallout 3 to be honest, and new vegas even more but that is developed by obsidian.

I'm confused. You didn't like FO4 but you didn't even play it?

Evil Within 1 & 2 were both third-person and they sold even worse than Dishonored and Prey. The gameplay in Dishonored and Prey would be tricky to pull off in third-person. There's a heavy focus on precise aiming and interacting with objects in the environment. Third-person isn't especially good at either of those things. Immersive sims also involve a lot of small interior spaces, another thing third-person isn't good at.

I wonder if their policy on review copies has hurt them? Those games need all the coverage they can get early on.

Pretty sure it's a big factor. I know some people that didn't even know Prey was out until like a month later. One of them wasn't even aware that it had nothing to do with the first game. He didn't really keep up with the game and assumed it was either a sequel or a reboot.

Marketing was problematic as well. It's really hard to convey the strengths of an immersive sim in a 30 second TV spot. Instead, these generally focus on combat and Prey is unremarkable in that respect. This is why marketing loves cutscenes. If your game has cutscenes, they can just show those with brief snippets of gameplay. The average consumer doesn't follow games before release so in many cases, their only knowledge of a game comes from 30 second TV spots.

Last edited:

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I think the Mass Effect 3 formula would be good. A nice SP game with DLC expansions and a solid MP to keep people engaged, plus actual marketing.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I can't blame them. After the fantastic Dishonored 2, Prey and Wolfenstein 2 (although I have a lot of issues with that one) either bombed or under-performed the market was bound to push them into a new direction.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if their policy on review copies has hurt them? Those games need all the coverage they can get early on.

Nov 8, 2017
The second dimension here is that consumers love open world games, which the industry has been trending towards for five or six or seven years at this point. Most of the big budget single player success stories have been open world titles over the last decade, and open world with RPG mechanics and/or looting is like the focus tested holy grail that games coming origionally from totally different genres have been converging on like Assassins Creed, Far Cry, The Witcher etc.