• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So, if you've been following the Bethesda (the publisher) upcoming game news, you will have noticed that they had two internal developers working on mobile games.

The first was Bethesda (the game studio) working on some large scale, flagship mobile title from the people who brought you Fallout Shelter and a bunch of other staff they picked up.

The second was that ZeniMax Online Studios (The Elder Scrolls Online) was hiring a bunch of staff to make a series of mobile games.

While we could probably guess that the Bethesda game would be either Elder Scrolls or Fallout based, the question remained of what all these mobile games ZeniMax Online was working on would be based on.

The answer is apparently... basically anything in the ZeniMax catalog.

Mobile Designer

Zenimax Online Studios is hiring a Mobile Designer passionate about games and ZeniMax intellectual properties. Whether you're a fan of The Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein, Fallout, or any other of our award-winning properties, you'll find something exciting to work on with us!

Our Mobile Designer will work with artists, programmers, producers and the rest of the ZeniMax team to create innovative cross-platform mobile games. We're looking to do nothing less than create best-in-class games in the mobile space and we need a deeply passionate designer eager to pioneer new ideas, adapt classic play patterns, learn, and grow with the team.

They will most likely be free 2 play, to note:
Strong familiarity with Mobile economies, free-to-play mechanics, and Mobile design concepts.
Source: https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/1584

H3xum

Oct 30, 2017
It was an inevitability, but, it still is sad to read and think about. Gaming these days, I suppose

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish they would also consider porting some of their back catalog to mobile. Unfortunately, it seems like they only plan to use their IPs for mobile games.
At least they will release something original instead of slapping those IPs on "clones" of popular mobile games.

Dash

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see Bethesda go back to Elder Scrolls and Fallout, with a high potential they cutback on other IP. They might not have all been to my taste, but it'd be disappointing.

Suicreeps

Oct 25, 2017
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Pocket Edition or Elder Scrolls Shelter sounds like a safe bet, which honestly sounds like a fun time waster like Fallout shelter if they could add to it.

offdutyninja

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a proper fallout title on iOS as fallout shelter just isn't for me. Rereleasing FO1 and 2 on iOS would be awesome! Are there licensing issues with those titles?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too much to ask for a mobile Fallout game that follows the classic formula?

Harley Quinn

User was banned for account sharing.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Asylum
A fallout game played like the Sims could work perfectly on mobile. I would check in the game every day for a few minutes

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would be happy if they make a killing on mobile games to fund their singleplayer games.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the people that are doing this are the ones that were already doing mobile games, so no reason for anyone to be sad.

Yet, of course. When they announce that they are closing down Tango because of the immense flop that Evil Within 2 was and that they are turning Arkane/Machine Games into GaaS factories, then we can be sad. I hope that they can mesh single player with something akin to service games, at least (like WB did with Shadow of War). I still want my immersive sims from Arkane. ;-;

Sorry. I just don't want to see franchises get moved to mobile games when they could be so much more. Irks me the wrong way.

Did Fallout Shelter and Elder Scroll Legens irk you the wrong way?

Oct 25, 2017
Cool! I most likely won't play them, but I assume the high revenue will subsidize the cost of console development and make it easier to fund games like Prey and Wolfenstein. I've been pretty happy with Bethesda lately.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
No thank you. I understand the desire for new markets, but I would rather the focus be on the next installment of TES.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry. I just don't want to see franchises get moved to mobile games when they could be so much more. Irks me the wrong way.

I wouldn't worry about it; it's an additional revenue stream for the company and proved to be highly profitable. You can probably still expect most Bethesda heavy hitters on PC and dedicated gaming machines

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm aware different teams work on these games and most game companies don't take their successful, popular producers/directors and forcibly throw put them on mobile.

Edited to tone down the snark, bad habit

Last edited:

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit Bethesda I was joking when I said give us more Skyrim,cmon...
But seriously not surprised since Fallout Shelter was a success. And it must be a big one since they want to go in this direction.

___

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fallout 1/2/3 on mobile would be great, but I'm sure they will make another ''free'' game full of lootboxes (I hacked in all my boxes in shelter anyway).

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Before all the knee-jerk "OH GOD PLEASE NO I HATE MOBILE" posts, keep in mind that Bethesda could be using the mobile cash cow to continue funding single player only games like DOOM, Dishonored, and Wolfenstein.

If so I say all the more power to them.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
While it's not unheard of for people to take profits from one division and use it to take risks in another, they don't do that with the plan of long term subsidization. Games have to be profitable on their own merits.