• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I see a few people unhappy that this episode was less climactic than the previous one. Perfectly fine to feel that way, but it's not new for this show. Season 1 had a similar setup (climax in 109, falling action in 110). Game of Thrones did a similar thing as well.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I wish I didn't recently watch that BB clip where Saul mentions Nacho and Lalo because I knew Lalo wasn't going to die. That whole final scene fell flat because of that.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I didn't recently watch that BB clip where Saul mentions Nacho and Lalo because I knew Lalo wasn't going to die. That whole final scene fell flat because of that.
That reminds me, is this what Jimmy was talking about in that scene? When he says that Ignacio was the one, was he talking about trying to get Lalo killed?

But I'm also wondering how all of that fits into BCS 'cus the BB scenes happens way after BCS, I just don't see how Lalo is still a thread to Saul during BB.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone keeps mentioning that scene but the two big problems are that first, Vince Gilligan had no idea how he'd create the back story of Better Call Saul. For all we know those two names (Ignacio and Lalo) were just nonsense words like so much of the bullshit Saul spews and were never meant to be actual people. Second, the entire thrust of this end of the season is Jimmy trying to get away and forget what he experienced out in the desert. We don't know why he's using those names to Walt and Jesse in season 2 of Breaking Bad.

I'd say that more than likely, and this is just me watching this show they have a very simple, dramatic ending for Lalo, Nacho, Kim, and even Howard that ties up Better Call Saul in a nice little bow, while "colorizing" the scary flash-forwards we've been seeing to something resembling an ending for the entire Breaking Bad universe.

We know from El Camino that Jesse is probably not part of it, but we don't know if Walt and/or Jesse make cameos to mix in Breaking Bad scenes to the Better Call Saul universe.

It also wouldn't be such a terrible thing to check in on Skyler and Marie, as much as people hated those characters if Vince is truly done with this universe.

My guess is that Lalo kills Nacho, goes after Gus, and MIke saves Gus' life. Kim destroys her future as a lawyer and has to leave Saul for good, which prompts him to regroup where we find him in BB.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone keeps mentioning that scene but the two big problems are that first, Vince Gilligan had no idea how he'd create the back story of Better Call Saul. For all we know those two names (Ignacio and Lalo) were just nonsense words like so much of the bullshit Saul spews and were never meant to be actual people. Second, the entire thrust of this end of the season is Jimmy trying to get away and forget what he experienced out in the desert. We don't know why he's using those names to Walt and Jesse in season 2 of Breaking Bad.
I'm sure they were never meant to be actual characters during BB since, well, they never ended up becoming characters. The problem is that they took that scene and then expanded upon it with BCS. They didn't have to name Nacho Ignacio and they didn't need to introduce a new villain that was going after Jimmy named Lalo but they did. Everything he says in that scene has now ended up happening in BCS. So by their own design they made that scene matter where before it could've just been what it once was, a way to give some background to this new character.

Oct 29, 2017
twitter.com

Vashi Nedomansky, ACE on Twitter

“The final shot of #BetterCallSaul Season 5 shows how powerful audio design can be. Listen as the sound of footsteps morph into thunder and the sonic representation of Lalo's rage. Detuned, reversed and echoed soundscape. Powerful storytelling. What a finish! https://t.co/nk76YWhVW2”

serious goosebump as the episode ended. I can't wait for the final season

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There's always the possibility that Lalo (and Nacho, for that matter) may still end up being off'ed -- amd Jimmy simply isn't aware.
I'm aware of that. It wasn't until Jimmy was told about the planned assassination that I realised Lalo wasn't going to die from it.

That reminds me, is this what Jimmy was talking about in that scene? When he says that Ignacio was the one, was he talking about trying to get Lalo killed?

But I'm also wondering how all of that fits into BCS 'cus the BB scenes happens way after BCS, I just don't see how Lalo is still a thread to Saul during BB.
The way Saul talks about it in BB, there's no way the assassination is what he was talking about. Why would Saul think Lalo would suspect him of selling him out when he knows barely anything about him? Whatever he was talking should happen next season.

Although I wouldn't blame the writers too much for not making that scene make sense after BCS finishes. Those were just throw away lines made when they didn't even know Saul would be that major of a character in BB, let alone have his own spin-off series.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Although I wouldn't blame the writers too much for not making that scene make sense after BCS finishes. Those were just throw away lines made when they didn't even know Saul would be that major of a character in BB, let alone have his own spin-off series.

Here's the thing though.

If you listen to the Insider podcast and watch the behind the scenes interviews the writers absolutely keep referencing that scene and many others to ask whether this makes sense. They hold canon up to a pedestal not for canon's sake like Star Wars, but to inform their characters and give ideas for great storytelling. Knowing the writers, they thrive off adhering to Breaking Bad canon. I have no doubt in my mind by the time the series ends that scene will still make sense.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
By complete coincidence, I was reading an article about narco culture. I'm going to translate the relevant quote, regarding El Chapo:

Su detención no estuvo exenta de esos detalles que parecen inverosímiles pero no lo son, como el de que horas antes había logrado escabullirse de las autoridades a través de un túnel oculto en el baño de su casa en Culiacán

His arrest was not exempt from those details that sound implausible but are not, like how hours earlier he managed to escape the authorities trough a hidden tunnel in the bathroom in his home on Culiacan.

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
I think Lalo is still alive and that is why Jimmy is so paranoid in the future scenes. Lalo is coming for him because he's a psycho.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
They referenced a very subtle throwaway line from BB in season 1 or 2 where a girl complains because Jimmy claimed he was Kevin Costner and y'all really think they're gonna screw up continuity on something actually relevant?

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot in good conscience stand by and watch all this Lalo fellating

Have we all forgotten poor Travelwire Fred?

latest

NUVGZvU.gif

Last edited:

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They should leave Nacho and Lalo alive so they can face off in the next movie El Viaje
(on Netflix) with a cameo from Jesse Pinkman and hopefully
Jimmy if he's not dead.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this season finale. It's mostly fine but Kim's hard turn is so sharp it feels like it was written for an alternative story line.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A Lalo series would actually have potential. Giving the Mexican side of the universe some more thought and detail would be cool, I'm sure theres many stories to tell there. If he makes it out alive in the end, they can even do a similar set up with BCS/Breaking Bad and give us some flash forwards to post-BCS.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I feel about this season finale. It's mostly fine but Kim's hard turn is so sharp it feels like it was written for an alternative story line.

I think she was always going down this path and you can see the descent in all of S5, but it was particularly given a shot of energy when Lalo entered the scene and Kim unleashed a part of herself she didn't quite know was there.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
So does Lalo die and Jimmy just doesn't know it happened circa his intro in BB?
Does Gus now believe Lalo is dead and Hector is the last Salamanca?
Is this around the time Gus poisons all the Salamancas? Could that be chronologically an event that could happen next season?
I wonder if the show will bleed into BB's timeline.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to see the "Poor, innocent Jimmy would have been a fine, upstanding citizen if it wasn't for that meddling C̸h̷u̸c̴k̶ not giving Jimmy his job..." argument die already. It is such a bad argument.

And I don't just want it to die, but I want it to die in pain. I want to see it burned alive and screaming. I want it to suffer so bad that by the time it dies, the entire Salamanca family would look at the dead body of that argument and be so devastated and traumatized by the cruel inhumane malice inflicted on it that they decide to become pacifists and convert their drug empire into a kindly orphanage that takes care and raises children in a loving community just to provide some kind of universal karmic balance in response to it.

That is how much I hate that argument.
I feel like these people have been watching a different show. It's been clear for ages that Jimmy has ALWAYS been a grifter and a huckster and a conman. I also don't know how you watch Jimmy go through the process of gaslighting his mentally ill brother to such an incredibly cruel extent and go "poor Jimmy, Chuck deserves this".

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So does Lalo die and Jimmy just doesn't know it happened circa his intro in BB?
Does Gus now believe Lalo is dead and Hector is the last Salamanca?
Is this around the time Gus poisons all the Salamancas? Could that be chronologically an event that could happen next season?
I wonder if the show will bleed into BB's timeline.

Lalo will probably die, but he will for sure appear to Jimmy at least once next season because Jimmy still thinks he's alive circa Breaking Bad. Gus right now believes Lalo is dead but I don't think for long. We'll have to see what the show will do with Lalo next season.

I do think we'll bleed into BB's timeline absolutely.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but he's not wrong, though.
Good point, the only thing is we don't know enough about Jimmy that time. He might've still ran a couple of scams during his time at the mail room, especially considering that Slippin' Jimmy doesn't seem like something that he can just turn off.

Why? Howard just had bowling balls thrown at his car, and got prostitutes accosting him at dinner. He was perfectly justified to say what he had to say. In fact, he's not wrong.
The shitting on Jimmy part sure, the talking to Kim like a child, ugh

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I feel like these people have been watching a different show. It's been clear for ages that Jimmy has ALWAYS been a grifter and a huckster and a conman. I also don't know how you watch Jimmy go through the process of gaslighting his mentally ill brother to such an incredibly cruel extent and go "poor Jimmy, Chuck deserves this".
Not only that but he deliberately goes out of his way to purposefully self-sabotage any meaningful and healthy opportunity he gets.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Lalo reminds me of a way less crazy version of Trevor from GTA V, I guess more so the actor (Steven Ogg). I think it's the mustache and smile.

Dec 31, 2017
Was it ever explained why Hector Salamanca is in a US nursing home and not been looked after in Mexico? On a related note, he wasn't in a nursing home during the first couple of seasons of BB.

It seems its one of those things that they writers were constrained by what took place in BB.

Last edited:

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Great Season!

Ep9:
Until the last scene the best thing was Lalo making that jump on Jimmys car lol. But that last scene, damn. The way Kim berated him. Also love Lalo as the bad guy. Not the brightest though.

Ep10:
But definitely a survivor. The Mexico part was evrything I was hoping for. Nacho is so fucked...
But what the hell is Kim doing.. Is season 6 going to be Kims downfall? Jimmy is dragging her down and I think he is realising it but can't stop it. Kim is intelligent but somehow she can't see what Jimmy is. A pit. She was about to do the right thing and then she marries him. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! Looking forward to seaon 6.

------------------------------------------------------------

Currently in the middle of season 2 of my rewatch. I don't know what it was the first time, maybe it was the slow pace of the episodes releasing (once a week) or maybe because I stll had Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad in my mind, but I had a lot more sympathy for Jimmy the first time around. Now I am watching 1-2 episodes per night and now I am truly realising what a fucking asshole Jimmy is. What the fuck is wrong with him? Chuck is absolutely right even if he has a wrong reasoning (a degree is a degree and passing the bar is passing the bar). Jimmy is a hack, a slippery slimy showman. I was laughing so hard when they showed Jimmy trying to explain to the janitor how to use the vacuum because that's what he is: basically a vacuum salesman. Every opportunity he gets he can't get into but he won't just leave it, he will burn it to the ground. I am liking Chuck and Hamlin a lot more this time around.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
But what the hell is Kim doing.. Is season 6 going to be Kims downfall? Jimmy is dragging her down and I think he is realising it but can't stop it. Kim is intelligent but somehow she can't see what Jimmy is. A pit. She was about to do the right thing and then she marries him. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! Looking forward to seaon 6.
For me the thing to realize is that Kim has been as much of a slippin' Jimmy as Jimmy this whole time, just with the imposition of polite society constraining her. She has tried to reach her aspirations through hard work and determination, but all of that got her into a career where most of the time she's doing work she doesn't want to do in order to carve out a small amount of time for what she really values.

Jimmy's time in the desert, as she put it, helped her to see clearly what's important. This led to her quitting her job and she's no longer against the shady means to those ends.

Turns out she's not a duty-bound person - never really has been. She's a pragmatist who's seemingly no longer constrained by the rules. Jimmy isn't her pit — she's doing her own digging.

Oct 27, 2017
Five seasons in, this show has not taken full advantage of its time period. Where is the off-hand 15 second shot of Jimmy watching Malcolm In The Middle on tv while waiting for something else to happen, and commenting on how ridiculous it would be if he ever ran into Hal in real life.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
When he killed those assassins, it reminded me of in a video game where you can't win in a death match so you have to use a tactic to trap the AIs.

LOL Destiny 1 nightfall vibes. Lalo definitely had some experience with Valus Ta'urac.

I don't get complaints about how knowing the lines in BB means it deflates the tension in the finale i.e. Knowing that Lalo would survive. There's one whole season left and we have absolutely no way of knowing what else happens leading up to that scene of Saul in BB I'm the desert. Anything and everything at this point is premature conjecture.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
I remember when BCS was announced and people were saying that it was going to be a failure and that there wasn't enough material to fill 5 or 6 seasons.
My god what an amazing show. Can't wait for next season!
Wasn't it intially announced as only one episode (or one movier)? I remember being surprised that here was a whole season. Never thought there would be 6 and on par or even better than BB.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It ended and my wife was like "that's it? That's the finale?" It didn't feel like one to me either. Two storylines where it'll get crazier next season but nothing to really sink your teeth into for this season.

We also felt like that pool party was reminiscent of the one where all the guys were poisoned in BB. We thought that was going to happen but we couldn't remember when it did.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It ended and my wife was like "that's it? That's the finale?" It didn't feel like one to me either. Two storylines where it'll get crazier next season but nothing to really sink your teeth into for this season.

We also felt like that pool party was reminiscent of the one where all the guys were poisoned in BB. We thought that was going to happen but we couldn't remember when it did.
I feel like there are plenty of shows and seasons where the big shit happens in the penultimate episode and the finale is a kind of breather and set up for what comes next.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I like to think that Don Eladio just has a pool party as his daily lifestyle. Every day, 8 hours a day, he is having a pool party with all his cartel friends.

Nov 9, 2017
I like to think that Don Eladio just has a pool party as his daily lifestyle. Every day, 8 hours a day, he is having a pool party with all his cartel friends.

I wonder if someone else can confirm, but I was pretty sure some of the "bikini babes" at the pool party were the same ones from the Breaking Bad episode "Salud"