• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we interpret "Now in Development" as the game coming out in 2019 or later?

• Yes, Nintendo would have listed the game as 2018 if the game in question was coming next year.

Votes: 394 37.1%
  • No, there's still hope for MP4 & Bayo 3 coming out next year. The devs just aren't sure right now.

Votes: 284 26.8%
  • Meh, the games will come out when they come out. I honestly don't care either way.

Votes: 259 24.4%
  • It's too soon to say. I'll wait until the January Direct before passing final judgement either way.

Votes: 124 11.7%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As of last night, we've had 2 Switch games given "Now in Development" tags from Nintendo in the place of what would have been a tentative release time-frame. This is unlike what was given to Fire Emblem, Kirby: Star Allies, or Yoshi (a generic 2018 time-frame) or Pokémon's "2018 or Later" time-frame (implying that Game Freak is trying for next year for Gen 8). If you recall, Arlo brought up a good point about Nintendo setting expectations in terms of release dates & not getting our hopes up. But in your opinion, is this setting of expectations an implication of these games not coming next year at all, or do you think it's just Nintendo covering for the devs in case they can't get said games out next year? Should we take the "Now in Development" statement as Nintendo saying "Don't expect this game next year"?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know.

However, there have been some rumblings about MP4 development being further on than we thought.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of expected that Metroid Prime would be the tentpole holiday 2018 game.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Probably 2019, and yeah, that's fine. I think the 2018 release schedule is going to be pretty crowded without it. Animal Crossing and Pokemon are both high likelihoods, both of which have more sales potential than the Zelda-Mario combo this year.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Bayo 3 is definitely 2019

If it was next year, we'd see gameplay.
That's honestly my personal logic, same for MP4 (though at least there are rumors from trusted sources that the game is now in a showable state). But at the same time, Fire Emblem Switch didn't show any footage despite being listed for 2018, but that could be chalked up as Intelligent Systems not wanting to throw Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia under the bus.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
With how long we've had rumblings of Platinum projects on Switch, I really wonder if Bayo 3 might be further along than we expect. It could have just been the ports, but maybe they've been sitting on a reveal too.

I wouldn't put money on 2018, but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 2 was revealed two years before it launched, so Bayo 3 is probably 2019. That said I also think this depends on whether Kamiya is directing - if he's the one working on it he likely started on it immediately after Scalebound got cancelled, which means it's probably spent an active year in development already, so I'm guessing early 2019 (essentially the game is little over a year away).

Metroid Prime 4, if the leaks are of any indication, is at a point where it's presentable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's at the very tail end of 2018 and slips into 2019.

Either way, Nintendo are going to have to pull out a big holiday title and I expect it to be Prime 4, Animal Crossing or Pokémon.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Time between Bayo 2 announcement and release was 2 years, though that might have been a special case since I think they announced it early to build hype for the Wii U.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
January direct, if real, probably will revert pretty much the entire 2018 lineup.

Except Pokemon which is announced at a later Pokémon Direct.

raterpillar

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I think they've been cribbing Sony's notes - I don't believe either of those games are coming anytime soon.

Nov 8, 2017
If we don't get release dates in January (via direct or otherwise), then assume it's not coming 2018. Until then, assume nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Either E3 or January will confirm when they are. Might as well see what happens. For these kinds of releases they probably don't want to date them yet in case they pull a zelda Wii U and keep delaying it.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
I think later than 2018. I'd love to be surprised, but it just doesn't seem likely.

Incidentally, the meh option doesn't really fit the poll. I don't care either way per se because they'll come out when they come out, but this is about trying to predict the future regardless of if you're feeling impatient or not.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think they've been cribbing Sony's notes - I don't believe either of those games are coming anytime soon.
As Arlo said, it's likely that Nintendo announced games like Metroid Prime 4 & Bayonetta 3 when they did with no release timeframe in order to establish an idea of what to expect for the system's long-term life. While announcing games closer to release is nice, a good balance of stuff to look forward to in the long-term & stuff to get excited for in the short-term is a good balance to have as long as the long-term stuff aren't too far out. And if the rumors about MP4 being presentable as of now are true, I'd be more inclined to believe that MP4 could be a 2019 release.

Oct 29, 2017
Platinum was "already" on the October reveal of the Switch as a partner that was developing games. As I doubt they're going to rehaul much of the template of previous Bayonettas, Holiday 2018 should in theory be possible. Especially if they got the commission to make B3 before October 2016. I don't think Bayonetta 2 cost much more than 2 years to make (announced Sept '12 by Nintendo in panic mode, released Sept '14).

But I'm personally assuming Nintendo has an ideal game for Holiday 2018 in mind (and it's probably Pokemon), and is hurrying MP4 and B3 along to be the substitute if Pokemon doesn't pull through. If it does, they become early 2019 titles.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Technically no, but probably yes, I think?

In that I think the real answer is something like "We will confirm that it is in development, right now we don't know when it'll be released" - which in the strict terms of the poll means "no" - but I'd also suggest that a game that's likely to be released in 2018 would have a more concrete dev schedule at this point.

But I'm personally assuming Nintendo has an ideal game for Holiday 2018 in mind (and it's probably Pokemon), and is hurrying MP4 and B3 along to be the substitute if Pokemon doesn't pull through. If it does, they become early 2019 titles.

The first part of this makes sense, but I don't think Nintendo would regard MP4 or B3 as appropriate releases to replace a Holiday title that doesn't make it; they'd prefer something with more family appeal. That said, they're going to work with whatever they have at that point, of course!

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, best to set your sights low to avoid disappointment, but Nintendo has been getting better about getting games out on time, and Platinum at least is very reliable in this area. I'd still expect 2019 just to be safe, though.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We just don't know, everything is possible and anyone that says that either of these two scenarios is certain probably shouldn't be trusted I think as that will still be baseless assumptions. As far as we know these games could be in development for enough time that they could release definitely in 2018. Bayo 3 could be in development almost since Bayo 2 released in... 2014... Of course there is no chance for first half of 2018 but I expect second half of 2018 or first half of 2019 at worst. They probably aren't that far away considering Nintendo unlike in the Wii U days doesn't need to desperately announce games way in advance.

Last edited:

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MP4, Pokemon, and Bayonetta 3 are 2019 or later. If you look at Nintendo's releases schedule history, there is no good reason to assume next year

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
MP4, Pokemon, and Bayonetta 3 are 2019 or later. If you look at Nintendo's releases schedule history, there is no good reason to assume next year
MP4 & Bayonetta 3, sure. But as I said in the OP, Pokémon is listed as "2018 or Later", implying that Game Freak is at least aiming for 2018 (likely as the Switch's big holiday title next year).

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I have hopes for 2018, but I think it won't happen till 2019.

The 1+2 collection is great to make the wait easier, but it's coming in two months. Perhaps is a hint and Bayo 3 is coming sooner than expected. January Direct for more news??

My most anticipated Switch games are Metroid Prime 4, SMT V, and Bayo 3. I hope at least one comes out this year.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect one or the other will be shown at the January Direct, and maybe both will be at E3, but neither will make 2018. Both games went with 'now in development' and that reads like Nintendo giving people something to look forward to over the next 2 years.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really do think MP4 is a lock for 2018, and Bayo 3 may be in development longer than we are assuming.

Perhaps they just did not show footage in order to not throw Bayo1+2 under the bus, as these games are coming out really soon.

Holy shit, Switch is a beast.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Bayonetta hitting in November of 2018. Metroid Prime 4, I'm not so sure off. No idea when they could have started on it or how long it'll take.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
At the moment I don't think there is much reason for Nintendo to show games that are coming out much later than a year from now, so they will probably be sometime in 2018 probably late in the year. They showed off a lot of a BotW, but that is because it was originally planned for the Wii U and they needed something to show while they preparing the Switch.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care when games come out ir if they get delayed. I do have to say that no one believed XC2 was going to release in 2017, so anything is possible. But I'll be getting both no matter if it is 2018, 2019, or 2020.

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This... BTW... I am playing XC2 now, so.... Everything is possible with Nintendo and the Switch. They released XC2, Mario Odessey, Splatoon 2 months after the announcement of the games. Crazy...
there is nothing crazy about it
is not like they could announce these games before the switch announcement