• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Thread title is too short to put a good summary in.

There are some hackers out there forcing legitimate Splatoon players into League Battles to play on unreleased map. What it brings are risks of getting banned to the legitimate players.

Be careful out there.

Some archived tweets of "hackers" who admitted in doing this.

https://archive.is/q4hWS
https://archive.fo/mAUPK
https://archive.fo/Udhj6
https://archive.fo/BiTjZ

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/8s5p3m/hackers_begin_forcing_players_in_league_battle_to/

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Wow. That's pretty fucked up. I'll have to let my girlfriend know since she still plays nearly every night.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Things like this are why people who hack their consoles get such hate even if most are doing it for mainly innocent reasons.

Deleted member 12162

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is actually worrying. The same could happen if there's unreleased stages in Tennis Aces. You might play in a hacker's court or something.

Come on, Nintendo. I hope there's a solution found before the service launches.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure they'll be able to easily track who the hackers are based on how often they actually play on said unreleased stages.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
:|

Makes me worried for Dark Souls on Switch too considering the mess that was happening on PC.

Things like this are why people who hack their consoles get such hate even if most are doing it for mainly innocent reasons.

It's indeed a double edged sword. That said there should be checks in place to stop this kind of stuff from happening. There's games on PC, the most open system, which manage to remain mostly hacker free.

Consequently, while hackers existing sucks, I'm still totally for breaking consoles open so we can do what we want with the hardware we've purchased. Such as emulation etc.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Man hate these things, reminds me of that guy from the early days of Dark Souls 3 who hacked in a weapon that gave absurd amounts of souls to whoever he hit with it causing the target player to be banned for cheating.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So basically in a hope to not get banned anymore, they are forcing innocent people to be at risk so Nintendo won't be 100% sure who to ban?

That's pretty horrible

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
r83DsQl.png

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
That's pretty messed up of those hackers to try and get legitimate players banned by forcing them to play on an unreleased map.

Hopefully Nintendo has a way to track the hacked player from a group of innocent ones.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I hope Nintendo can start banning quickly. I fear what will become of Smash For Glory if hackers are allowed to run rampant on their platform.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Man hate these things, reminds me of that guy from the early days of Dark Souls 3 who hacked in a weapon that gave absurd amounts of souls to whoever he hit with it causing the target player to be banned for cheating.
Or that dude quite recently on stream cursing everyone for 3 hours on launch day of remaster lol smh.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
splatoon hackers are the worst

it's fun seeing the shit they can do when it's just going into a private battle and changing the fire rate or distance of weapons but when you bring it into actual online matches it's bullshit

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Was there hacking in the Wii U game? I played it a ton and can't remember seeing any but I've seen a ton of stories about 2.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was there hacking in the Wii U game? I played it a ton and can't remember seeing any but I've seen a ton of stories about 2.
Hacking was everywhere in the first game, there were ways they could soft lock you and force you to delete your save if you wanted to play again and tons of weapon modification beyond what was possible in-game. The hacking in Splatoon 2 is actually a lot less prominent, in part because Nintendo has been much quicker to ban offenders, but the things they're doing are just as bad.

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine has told me a guy he knows got banned for doing this and is planning to buy another switch for more attempts.

Not a ton because when Splatoon started to be a thing it was new and Wii U security was still ironclad and because it wasn't popular no one tried to break it too much, after a while though it started happening a lot.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So are Nintendo not able to detect the modified firmwares or whatever the hackers are using when they connect to the NIN servers and ban the console ID?

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
According to the anti piracy techniques that we learned Nintendo uses it'll be very unlikely that they can legitimate owners. They have ownership locked down pretty good in their server checks.

RedFyn

Oct 25, 2017
In 1000 hours of play you could probably expect to come across someone noticeably hacking once or twice. The majority of hacking was used to change your sub abilities and make perfect gear. Splatoon 2 is looking to end up in the same situation although gear editing isn't quite as easy.

heisenbrg

Jan 23, 2018
Großfrostheim
I still played Splatoon on the Wii U two or three months ago. There were two or three players they modified a weapon with these waterbombs as second weapon so that the could throw unlimited bombs and colored the whole map in their color in one second. But i only saw them around three or four times in 850 hours.