• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ikons really shouldn't go anywhere near aggressive riding. They're cross country only (and non wet cross country at that).

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Just about to start my training again. Sweet Spot Base... FTP reduction of about 10% thanks to all my time off.

Only hitting it at 90% today to ramp back up. Hopefully wont be too painful.

broony

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for by back to feel a little stronger then going to do a fresh ftp test for winter turboing. Not looking forward to seeing how much I have lost in five months.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be skipping the FTP test and living in glorious ignorance.

I might try the new Sufferfest test after my first base plan though (I did it in their testing phase, it's FUCKING horrible).

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
First session went pretty well. Took it up to 98% from starting at 90%. Could have done 100% without too much worry. Will be happy enough to do this first set at this new FTP and work back up from there.

Was saddened to see news of the terror attack on the cycle path in NYC. Fucking cowardly.

Oct 25, 2017
I ride that part of the path occasionally. There is separation in some areas but they could do better. Some spots have openings because of the buildings on the side but for too many don't have pilings to prevent access at the crosses.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was supposed to start riding on the trainer on Monday but wound up having a two day power outage. So tomorrow for sure.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
Went on a nice lil ride yesterday.
Autumn scenery is the bomb along the River Vecht in the Netherlands.

2yjPIVq

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I'm mostly on the fence cause I don't want the hassle of having to get my bike out of the trainer every time I wanna go for a ride if the weather permits it.

(yes I'm lazy. Don't judge me, I'm already riding my bike)

Oct 25, 2017
Kickr SNAPS are pretty cheap compared to regular kickrs

If you're worried about on and off then save for a direct drive. You just remove the rear wheel which is far less of annoyance than a fluid rear wheel trainer

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Am I wrong, or does that still have no options for overlaying on an actual map (aside from in the route generator)?

Edit - It does. Finally! As a route maker, I can't tell you how important that particular feature is!

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my. That new heatmap is amazing.

Lots new data marking some of the little-traveled routes, too... I think I can spot a couple of my individual rides on it. :)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually pretty surprised people even bother with Strava over there. Out of literally thousands of riders I've seen, I only ever saw one proper lycra clad roadie.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I just don't get a ton of value out of it. I'm not actively engaged with people on there, any sort of community I've seen hasn't been great and I don't think it helps to foster the 'fun' side of biking. I'll probably leave the account active, but just avoid the habitual checking and remove it from my phone.

That makes sense. I don't really socialize with the people I follow/follow me within the app (I know a lot of them in person already) but I enjoy seeing what others have been up to and talking about it when I see them.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
In the Netherlands cycling has two very distinct functions.

Firstly, it's a way of commuting. Every person learns to ride a bike from the age of 4 or 5.
Kids ride their bikes to school and if you live close enough to work, you ride your bike there too. The Dutch ride an average of 3,5 kms on a bike every day.
However, these people won't use Strava.

Then secondly, there is a pretty avid road-bike scene as well.
You won't see these people around the city though and surely these people will be using Strava.

The ratio of commuting cyclists vs. roadies however will always favor commuters by like 10000-1.
That's just cause we use the bike as a means of transport so much.

I myself like to use Strava for cycling as a sport. I like to keep up with how much I've ridden, helps me remember certain rides and routes I've taken etc.
Also nice to see where friends ride, it can be inspiring to see their routes as well.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017
Started (and ended) the first ride of my spinning season by bringing one mtb shoe and one road shoe. Luckily the weather is actually decent, so I can ride outside instead

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Does anyone have experience building their own bicycle?

I just got a second job to get a new bike and I'm looking around but everything is sold as is. My knowledge about brands is pretty limited, I would be happy with a bike that is already assembled but I want a bit of a challenge.

Besides frameset and grouoset what are some other things that are sold separately while building a bike?

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
To what degree?

I've never done any framebuilding, but I have started from a frameset.

Besides frameset and grouoset what are some other things that are sold separately while building a bike?
When selecting groupset, consider compatibility. You'll need a configuration of cranks and bottom bracket that work together and with the bottom bracket shell on your frame. With the front derailleur, whether it bolts onto a braze-on on the seat tube, or clamps the seat tube. Pay attention to what sort(s) of brakes the frame is made for and how they'll mount.

Wheels. You can buy the hub and spokes and rim separately and lace them up, if you want to build them custom. Need to be made for the brakes you'll use, consider the type of tire you'll use (clincher, tubeless, tubular), need the wheel to support a freehub wide enough for the cassette you'll use.

Stem, needs to be appropriate type for your headset/steerer, and also needs to have the right clamp diameter for whatever handlebars you'll use.
Handlebar... usually not much of an issue, because road components have the right clamp diameter to clamp onto road bars, and MTB components have the right clamp diameter to clamp onto MTB bars. For unusual configurations, pay attention to the inner and outer diameters of the handlebar tubing.

Seatpost. Needs to be the right diameter for your frame's seat tube. Some frames with unusual seatpost shapes come with their seatpost. In some situation you might also need to buy seatpost clamp stuff.

Saddle.

Pedals.

Bottle cages.

Depending on your build, racks/fenders/whatever. Consider how they'll fit and how you'll attach them to the bike; there are lots of different schemes.

Cables/housing, handlebar grips and/or bar tape, tires/tubes/rim tape/whatever, spares kit.

Note that buying things separately tends to be a lot more expensive.

Oct 27, 2017

I just got a second job to get a new bike and I'm looking around but everything is sold as is. My knowledge about brands is pretty limited, I would be happy with a bike that is already assembled but I want a bit of a challenge.

Consider you will probably need specific tools for the job if you start from scratch. An extra cost to consider, unless you can borrow them. Good luck!

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I think I misspoke. I meant more like buy all the things that I would want on bike, already built and get the bike to my preferred specifications. Didn't literally mean build it lol

astrophiel

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
To what degree?

I've never done any framebuilding, but I have started from a frameset.

When selecting groupset, consider compatibility. You'll need a configuration of cranks and bottom bracket that work together and with the bottom bracket shell on your frame. With the front derailleur, whether it bolts onto a braze-on on the seat tube, or clamps the seat tube. Pay attention to what sort(s) of brakes the frame is made for and how they'll mount.

Wheels. You can buy the hub and spokes and rim separately and lace them up, if you want to build them custom. Need to be made for the brakes you'll use, consider the type of tire you'll use (clincher, tubeless, tubular), need the wheel to support a freehub wide enough for the cassette you'll use.

Stem, needs to be appropriate type for your headset/steerer, and also needs to have the right clamp diameter for whatever handlebars you'll use.
Handlebar... usually not much of an issue, because road components have the right clamp diameter to clamp onto road bars, and MTB components have the right clamp diameter to clamp onto MTB bars. For unusual configurations, pay attention to the inner and outer diameters of the handlebar tubing.

Seatpost. Needs to be the right diameter for your frame's seat tube. Some frames with unusual seatpost shapes come with their seatpost. In some situation you might also need to buy seatpost clamp stuff.

Saddle.

Pedals.

Bottle cages.

Depending on your build, racks/fenders/whatever. Consider how they'll fit and how you'll attach them to the bike; there are lots of different schemes.

Cables/housing, handlebar grips and/or bar tape, tires/tubes/rim tape/whatever, spares kit.

Note that buying things separately tends to be a lot more expensive.

This is a good overview of everything that you need to keep in mind while building a bike. I'm going to echo the expensive part - buying a frameset, groupset, and wheels is going to cost you a lot more than just buying a frame that's build up already, in most cases. You could always find a bike that you liked (i.e. frame + groupset) and change out the other parts that you want to switch like saddle, wheels, etc. and it would cost you roughly the same. The other thing to consider is the tools that you need to build up the bike yourself - if you don't have those tools (or access to those tools) they're gonna run you a pretty penny.

Even if you build one yourself, unless you go with a custom frame (which is also hugely expensive) you'll have to have a brand in mind for the frame alone. What kind of bike do you ride now? And what are you looking to upgrade over that bike? (And what kind of budget are you working with beyond that?)

EDIT: I just saw that you added something else while I was typing this out. In that case, I'd say that you should probably go with a bike that's already put together and just switch out some parts that you're looking for specifically.

Oct 25, 2017
On the 'good relationship' front, my shop has done frame swaps for some people. Meaning they'll order the pre-built bike and a different frame to swap in, then re-sell the other frame.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I think I misspoke. I meant more like buy all the things that I would want on bike, already built and get the bike to my preferred specifications. Didn't literally mean build it lol
Are you talking about starting from a frameset, or starting from a complete rideable bicycle and switching out a few parts? If the former, that's basically what I described. There are lots of parts on a bicycle.

Petrapan

Oct 27, 2017

I considered it, but soon figured out it was much cheaper and easier just to find a bike that had everything I wanted from the get go

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
There are lots of European bike brands that offer a build a bike option, is this not the case in the US?

astrophiel

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
There are lots of European bike brands that offer a build a bike option, is this not the case in the US?

Some places do - but nowhere around my location does it. Neither the shop I work at (and the other major shop in town) do this option, we just buy bikes from distributors, build them up, and sell them.

In that case, my advice would be to figure out what brand you like and/or want. From there, find the frame with the groupset that you like since those are the two biggest things that will drive the price of the bike. There's no point in buying something with a 105 groupset, dumping it, and putting Dura-Ace on it straight away, for example (or changing it out for SRAM or Campy or what have you). Once you have that taken care of, you can start looking at what saddle, stem, pedals (if any), and wheels are on the bike and figuring out what parts you want to upgrade. The reason I say to find the frame/groupset combo you want is because purchasing a groupset + the labor to have it installed on your bike is going to be close to a thousand vs. buying the bike that already has that groupset.

Oct 25, 2017
This may be me, but I wouldn't do this for the standard mass produced bike (Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Giant). I would buy those stock and just swap out what the bargain parts will be (Wheels, seat, stem). I would only consider a full frame swap/build for more specialized brands or builds. Even though a brand like Kona does sell a lot of frame only options, I'd still be iffy on building them out. When I researched my mountain bike purchase to custom build up a bike was going to cost me $500+/- more and I would have made more compromises.